• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

How long to keep goods buildings of earlier ages

DeletedUser24367

Generally speaking, how long do you need to keep goods production buildings of earlier ages? In other words, how far into later ages will you need goods from earlier ages? Is there a guideline or list of goods needed in each age? Thanks.

DeletedUser10415

Here's a lot of useful information, with a handy color-coded table at the bottom that shows goods requirements throughout the tech tree.
https://forum.en.forgeofempires.com...nits-towers-and-expansions.28247/#post-162270

As you will see from the table, goods from one age are required for the following two ages on the tech tree.

The conventional wisdom is to only produce the highest age goods you can, and trade down for any lower age goods you need. Personally, I dislike getting hung up on tech, waiting for trades to go through. It inevitable, but I like to keep that sort of thing to a minimum. So what I do is produce as much of what I'm boosted in that I'll need for the tree and/or any GBs before I get rid of the goods building(s). This is a slower path to be sure, but less aggravating for me.

DeletedUser23123

Don't forget your Continent Map for claiming province section. Unless you're going to attack each sectors. Kind of got a add everything up. Write it down or use MSWorks and make your own draft. It help to keep what you got now and what you'll need later.

Algona

I try to keep as many goods buildings as possible. This is not normally a good idea for most players, but since my guild is spread out over so many eras it is an easy way to help out lower age players and cuts my trading in half.

Mostly though I get a sick perverted satisfaction from having thousands of goods. As of now, about 35k spread across 8 eras.

DeletedUser8428

Mostly though I get a sick perverted satisfaction from having thousands of goods. As of now, about 35k spread across 8 eras.
:) Hey whatever floats your boat! (Thanks for the laugh)

DeletedUser8796

I always go for the highest era goods building i have the boost for, you can trade down later on.

DeletedUser13452

I choose to convert to higher age goods as quickly as possible. AS has been stated, you can trade down for the last ages goods. That makes the exception obvious, I think. If I found that I have a goods boost to a goods that seems to be in high demand or is difficult for ppl to get, it could be difficult to trade down for. In that case, I keep that goods building till things loosen up.

cbalto1927

For me, i would keep goods buildings until on the tech tree doesnt require them. for example Basbalt of EMA goods are very sarce and in high demand. On the market i have noticed alot of goods of the same age trades just fine. Bascially one would have to watch the market of which goods are in high demand and which arent. For exmaple whale oil, not much demand but Coke is in high Demand. If you do plan to sell your previous age goods buildings, i would make sure i have at least enough at the tech tree of goods needed.

Mustapha00

There are many variables, just a few of which are:

How long has the server been around? I play on both A and U, and I find that it is much easier to find earlier-era Goods on U than A for the obvious reason that more players on A are in the late-Era portion of the game.

How spread out, in terms of Eras, is your Guild? This is a sub-problem of the above. If you're a new(er) player in a Guild full of well-advanced players, while they might be the most helpful bunch, there's not much they can do if the earliest Good they produce is Colonial and you're in the Iron Age.

What type of player are you? Everyone seems to complain about limited space in the game. If you're going to be a PvP or GvG-er, space for those military buildings, and likely that of the GBs that give military boosts, has to come at the expense of Good-producing buildings (although this can be at least partially offset by the Goods you will Plunder from other players). If you're a Farmer, then you have to devote space to your Coin and Supply buildings and the GBs taht support that and keep your military up to date enough to at least try to deter would-be Plunderers. All of those force a trade-off with Goods buildings, so maybe you have room for only your current-Era ones.

For myself, I generally will keep Goods buildings for my current Era and the one below it. I feel that gives me at least a little bit of flexibility in trading or when I Negotiate for sectors and provinces. I also find it to provide a decent balance between efficient use of space and population and my playstyle on whatever given world. Your results may vary.