• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Question] How to deal with a player who stalks and harasses you In game?

DeletedUser

If I understand the OP's issue, it isn't so much with his ability or the ability of other people who have been scammed/harassed by the other player to deal with that situation, but that the typical ways of doing so have their limitations:

If the OP and other harassed players just put the creep on /ignore, then new players will not have a way to be warned not to fall for the scammer.

If taking screenshots and forwarding them to Inno only for Inno to do nothing is all that can be done, then, again, new players won't be forewarned to avoid dealing with the creep.
If you have a third option, please feel free to share it. The OP rudely dismissed both those options, not on the grounds of compassion for newbies, but out of a need to "defend" himself.

spnnr

I guess Sethton wants to remain engage with the perpetrator in the global chat and thus ignoring doesn't work. There is very limited options left -which are highlighted by earlier posters.

If reporting doesn't work then I guess its time for a bit of community activism in that world.

DeletedUser3882

I *really* want to chime in here with some good advice learned and crafted over 5+ years here, plus many, many more years of experience in the real world and multiple wars/conflicts across the globe dealing with a plethora of rude dudes with attitudes during military servitude...

but with people who refuse to listen, let go, have too much pride or ego, or are otherwise too stubborn for their own good, what’s the point?!?

Mustapha00

If you have a third option, please feel free to share it. The OP rudely dismissed both those options, not on the grounds of compassion for newbies, but out of a need to "defend" himself.

I wish I did.

If the OP (and others) have taken screenshots and forwarded them on to Inno and Inno has, thus far, failed to act, then Inno seems uninterested in ensuring that their community standards are actually followed, which is really bad business practice.

Note that I did say "IF".

Graviton

I don't think it's wise to continue to engage with an obvious troll just to provide some kind of warning to new players. They'll figure it out too. If the need to warn new players is an imperative, one could still ignore the player and post occasional warnings in chat.

DeletedUser33297

;)
plus many, many more years of experience in the real world and multiple wars/conflicts across the globe dealing with a plethora of rude dudes with attitudes during military servitude...
Thank you for your service Heybo...retired Navy 94. ;)

The bottom line here is that all of the "normal" options have been tried, initiated, or flat out dismissed. I disagree with Mustapha's opinion that the OP is somehow responsible for maintaining some sort of moral compass in Global chat, which the OP apparently has taken upon himself. As soon as you start doing that, you lose focus on the entire point of the game....to have fun. If you want to monitor others behavior, then get a job that pays you to do that....there are many out there.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser33297

Again, that does nothing to alert new players about the scammer.
Sorry Mustapha...Scammers will scam....rubes will be rubes...that's how we have learned our lessons over the past few thousand years. Sometimes it takes being taken advantage of to learn "that" lesson. You can't change human nature. There will always be those who are willing to take advantage of those that can be taken advantage of. It's the circle of life, only different than you imagined. :D

Salsuero

If the player has in fact been reported numerous times as you say then it's pretty safe to say IG's looked at it, found no real violation and was done with it.

While I agree that the OP is begging for sympathy and has a simple fix to his "problem" -- I have to disagree with this statement. There are many players in global chat who break rules all the time, get reported endlessly, and maybe get a minimal suspension from the game, only to come back and pick right back up where they left off. I no longer participate in global chat and I know of several others who have quit it as well... because it's full of hate spam. We've done our part and Inno has failed us. I suspect the players that get the longest leashes have the deepest pockets. The problem I find with ignoring individuals in chat is that conversations still happen and you easily get lost with who's talking to who when half or more of a conversation is invisible -- NOT that it causes problems defending myself... who cares about that! It gets confusing though, so I just ignore chat altogether. Problem solved for me!

Salsuero

If I understand the OP's issue, it isn't so much with his ability or the ability of other people who have been scammed/harassed by the other player to deal with that situation, but that the typical ways of doing so have their limitations:

If the OP and other harassed players just put the creep on /ignore, then new players will not have a way to be warned not to fall for the scammer.

If taking screenshots and forwarding them to Inno only for Inno to do nothing is all that can be done, then, again, new players won't be forewarned to avoid dealing with the creep.

Totally true... but it's not his job to police chat for new players. If he wants to do that... he's probably not well suited to it given his displayed temperament here. But up to him if he wants to be the noob warning system and take the continuous abuse in the way he has.

If the OP (and others) have taken screenshots and forwarded them on to Inno and Inno has, thus far, failed to act, then Inno seems uninterested in ensuring that their community standards are actually followed, which is really bad business practice.

I have done this with rules that have been broken in plain sight, admitted directly by the offender... and nothing. So... you can decide for yourself what's more important to Inno. I've stopped caring about such things.

DeletedUser26965

There are many players in global chat who break rules all the time, get reported endlessly, and maybe get a minimal suspension from the game, only to come back and pick right back up where they left off.
There may be instances of that perhaps because for who knows what reasons and it's not limited to IG that's just the internet and life even. You can think of it like any real life establishment as well, Joe and Larry start talking smack to each other they get ejected but who bans them for life from their business? You'd have to do something pretty bad I would think and that I have seen when it comes to other funny business in the game and yes to players who have spent money as well. One could hazard to guess that if there is such an atrocious bully on global chat it perhaps may also stand to reason they are breaking other rules, perhaps then if they were reported for breaking those other rules instead they may get banned;)

DeletedUser33297

One could hazard to guess that if there is such an atrocious bully on global chat it perhaps may also stand to reason they are breaking other rules, perhaps then if they were reported for breaking those other rules instead they may get banned;)
Point taken SJS
I will say this once...the OP is a drama queen...Read my other posts. He is just as bad for the game as the person he despises, simply because in the chat, he and or they appear to be the same problem. Who decides who is the bad guy?
Im a 100% sure that anyone in global chat hasn't seen anything thats been posted more than a few hours ago, and most likely doesn't care. It's the ME generation after all. How is that helping? You can't care about what others think if all you care about is yourself:rolleyes:.

@sethton
It's not my nature to point out other people's flaws...I try and see the good in people. But you my friend, have a flawed perspective, which opens the door to ridicule. :rolleyes:

Salsuero

perhaps then if they were reported for breaking those other rules instead they may get banned

Nope. One such example has duplicate accounts in my world and has admitted that in chat, which has been screen captured and reported. Nothing came of it and nothing comes of it. He gets suspended now and then... when his rhetoric turns particularly nasty... but nothing long-term, regardless of him continuously switching back and forth between his accounts to continue where he left off with the last. And it's not just him, but a recurring theme, hence my position on the issue now. I understand the desire to give the "benefit of the doubt" -- but I can't do it based on what I've seen.

DeletedUser26965

But you my friend, have a flawed perspective, which opens the door to ridicule
He'll take it as such that's for sure but there are many good life lessons throughout this board many can learn from, let us center our chi's and find serenity, solace and peace, the trolls will always be trolls, and the plundergrems will be plundergrems...

plundergrem-2.gif

DeletedUser26965

Not nope. So you cite an example okay, I have other examples as well where it's obvious the accounts that were banned never came back under that same city because they're still sitting there since they've been banned and nothing has changed. Here's one for example that was quite eggergious 16 accounts all named the same with just a number at the end 1-16 lol http://foestats.com/us/us10/players/profile/?server=us10&world=Korch&id=10316103

Now that doesn't necessarily mean all players are treated the same. I'm sure IG gives various types of bans out for various reasons. And it doesn't mean a player is never allowed back or that they can't make a new city on a different world, the example above is just such a case. I mean I'm sure it's rather easy for the tech savvy to avoid and such anyway but besides them for the time being, bans exist, they happen, Inno listens etc., do they always listen? no, do they always give you what you want? no, okay, but the point really is there are possible other avenues to at least try.

DeletedUser31882

If reporting doesn't work then I guess its time for a bit of community activism in that world.

I agree with this sentiment. I find nothing wrong with someone putting up the occasional 'buyer beware' warning.

But there is a balancing act. When does buy beware shift into holding a sign with a list of sins, one being suffering witches to live? I'm sure there are some good points on that list of sins that could help an individual with their moral or ethical framework, but literal witch-hunting? Weakens the speakers arguments, from my point of view. I'm sure activists of all stripes struggle in figuring out that balance of being taken serious versus being dismissed as irrelevant.

So I suppose my take-away is there are three options on how to respond to this situation

1) Call the authorities 2) Ignore it & 3) Rattle the cage.

so as per the people posting up above... it is ok for someone to harass new players, call them names, stalk them , and in general make everyone miserable as long as we all pretend it inst happening. thanks for the help i would have never thought we should all just suffer so the one person can be h appy making others suffer.

I get the frustration of pointing our injustice and seeing others turn a blind eye to it. I don't see your accusations and misrepresentations of others intent as a useful way to convince them to your point of view. Hopefully, if you are still reading the thread, you can see how it can create the direct opposite effect of what you want. I'm assuming your intent was one or two things: 1) Rally support or ideas for bringing down a known troll/harasser. and/or 2) Raising awareness of the problem so we can rattle the cage for the authorities to enforce their rules properly. Unfortunately, we are at 3) Discredit, defame, denounce the activist for their faults. Snide snarks are a very quick way to get people to #3.

For whatever it may be worth, I do not think it is okay for players to harass anyone (be they new or otherwise). What help are you specifically looking for that reporting the harasser or ignoring them doesn't resolve?

DeletedUser10720

Figure out the offending players guild. Any hoodie in the same guild gets plundered daily. Any allied guilds have their members plundered as well. Message the neighbors that you plunder telling them that the plunder will continue as long as they are associated with the offending player.
Convince your guildmates to follow suit in their hoods.

Collective punishment for an individual's actions tends to lead to corrective actions taken by the community.