• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Interesting observation

Kranyar the Mysterious

Yes, adding first on a 160+ Arc was a nightmare. This was also an issue on lower buildings, especially when mobile players could dump faster than PC players, potentially sniping PC players unfairly out of a position and costing them fp.. This is where it ceased to be a making life better issue and became a fairness issue between platforms.

Vger

I find it quite telling that the “new ideas” section in the forum has been relatively inactive with new ideas for quite some time now. I wonder if it’s the toxic culture created by the “experts” and an unwillingness to subject oneself to such vitriol and vile in a space design to harbor creativity and innovation. No matter the reason, it’s yet revealing.
There might be another explanation. Have any of the regulars that have piled on here actually looked at the ideas section recently, from the perspective a newish user?

Yeah, me either. Except I was looking for the DNSL and plodded my way to here...

1602726569327.png

So I've been playing for a while, have this brilliant idea, how do I share it? (OK, maybe it is or is not a brilliant or new idea, same question):
First, read the pinned "How to post an Idea" thread from DeletedUser28314.

DeletedUser28314 doesn't ever actually mention the DNS list, but it is the next pinned post from DeletedUser40816.

Sorry, but neither DeletedUser28314 nor DeletedUser40816 are really inspiring me to think that I'm looking in the right place, much less doing the right thing to propose my brilliant idea!

I think the whole DeletedUserXXXXX idea was not so well thought out?

Agent327

There might be another explanation. Have any of the regulars that have piled on here actually looked at the ideas section recently, from the perspective a newish user?

Yeah, me either. Except I was looking for the DNSL and plodded my way to here...

View attachment 17318

So I've been playing for a while, have this brilliant idea, how do I share it? (OK, maybe it is or is not a brilliant or new idea, same question):
First, read the pinned "How to post an Idea" thread from DeletedUser28314.

DeletedUser28314 doesn't ever actually mention the DNS list, but it is the next pinned post from DeletedUser40816.

Sorry, but neither DeletedUser28314 nor DeletedUser40816 are really inspiring me to think that I'm looking in the right place, much less doing the right thing to propose my brilliant idea!

I think the whole DeletedUserXXXXX idea was not so well thought out?

Fixed that.

Algona

I find it quite telling that the “new ideas” section in the forum has been relatively inactive with new ideas for quite some time now.

Not sure if by 'new' you mean original ideas or new threads in the ideas forum.

Ain't sure how fine grain (weekly, monthly, yearly?) a count you did. Can you post the numbers?

I didn't go to the month level, I just did a quick and dirty count of Ideas threads for Oct 2018 - Oct 2019 and Oct 2019 - Oct 2020. 2020 has about 30% more Idea threads. But I don't have a lot of faith in that count.

Falconwing

I haven't seen a properly formatted idea in a while. I saw one or two I'd like to discuss, but without proper formatting they get closed and dumped into the unformatted box.

I do see that some of the Veterens (myself included) will see someone, usually a brand spanking new member, post an idea that's been submitted 100's of times (like the Aid button all that will NEVER be added) and we know good and well the new members posting the ideas didn't search the forums or read the DNSL. We sometimes get a little crabby (depending on how bad the idea is) and maybe a little rude in our reply's. If you aren't going to respect the forum rules and do a little reading before posting an idea, you can't expect anyone to respect your idea. When I see people that do that, I feel like they are saying that I have to follow the rules, but they are special and do not have to, like a slap in the face. Read the DNSL. Search the forums. If you really have a new idea (not on the DNSL) properly format it and roll the dice.

LivelyNature3710

I haven't seen a properly formatted idea in a while. I saw one or two I'd like to discuss, but without proper formatting they get closed and dumped into the unformatted box.

I do see that some of the Veterens (myself included) will see someone, usually a brand spanking new member, post an idea that's been submitted 100's of times (like the Aid button all that will NEVER be added) and we know good and well the new members posting the ideas didn't search the forums or read the DNSL. We sometimes get a little crabby (depending on how bad the idea is) and maybe a little rude in our reply's. If you aren't going to respect the forum rules and do a little reading before posting an idea, you can't expect anyone to respect your idea. When I see people that do that, I feel like they are saying that I have to follow the rules, but they are special and do not have to, like a slap in the face. Read the DNSL. Search the forums. If you really have a new idea (not on the DNSL) properly format it and roll the dice.

@Falconwing

This has confused me. Yes I am a new member, but I read the DNSL rules. Anyway I I came up with a stupid Idea, and I was very certain no one else had suggested it(now I know why, it's so horrible), so I suggested it and it and it was very soon put into 'unformatted idea.' Could you please explain and help me understand what that means?

Tony 85 the Generous

That is one way to look at the results
I choose another angle - the level and knowledge of forum participants is very low, as such they are unable to appreciate changes that seems to threaten their comfort - as a result the forum is incredible conservative and the game is quite stale
The other fact is ideas related to improving a new feature are required to be mixed into and lost in the feedback thread. So all of those ideas get lost both traceability (support, community feedback, etc.) and also in terms of the devs seeing them or them being submitted to the developers. Providing two mechanisms for submitting ideas is just a way to lose track of half of the suggestions and ideas.

DevaCat

The other fact is ideas related to improving a new feature are required to be mixed into and lost in the feedback thread. So all of those ideas get lost both traceability (support, community feedback, etc.) and also in terms of the devs seeing them or them being submitted to the developers. Providing two mechanisms for submitting ideas is just a way to lose track of half of the suggestions and ideas.
That's opinion, supposition and not fact.

Ideas relating to a new feature are directed to that feature's feedback thread in order to avoid them being mixed into and lost among follow-on opinions. It is a thread in which to state an opinion, not to argue about each others' opinions. If that is what is happening it is a result of players' lack of self-control and inattention by the moderator. The new feature feedback thread is a means for anyone to put up an unformatted idea about that specific feature because the devs are asking for it.

The second mechanism for submitting ideas that the development team may eventually see is for anything other than the current new feature -- again, precisely so that those ideas don't get lost in the noise. The Ideas section is much more structured because it has to be, due to what has been stated already, i.e. repeating old ideas, dnsl, game imbalances, opportunities for exploitation and so on. It does act as a filter; for that I'm thankful.

A true innocent erring in ignorance will usually offer thanks when corrected and either format or drop his idea, with a new understanding of the reason and necessity of it. The narcissist or prima donna on the other hand will have his feelings hurt when his "brilliant" "new" idea is panned, laughed at, ignored, or shuffled off to the dnsl purgatory. Never one for self-examination, he will instead reach for the only possible explanation: the low "level and knowledge of forum participants" who cannot possibly appreciate the changes he wants to make.

Agent327

Ideas relating to a new feature are directed to that feature's feedback thread in order to avoid them being mixed into and lost among follow-on opinions. It is a thread in which to state an opinion, not to argue about each others' opinions. If that is what is happening it is a result of players' lack of self-control and inattention by the moderator. The new feature feedback thread is a means for anyone to put up an unformatted idea about that specific feature because the devs are asking for it.

The second mechanism for submitting ideas that the development team may eventually see is for anything other than the current new feature -- again, precisely so that those ideas don't get lost in the noise. The Ideas section is much more structured because it has to be, due to what has been stated already, i.e. repeating old ideas, dnsl, game imbalances, opportunities for exploitation and so on. It does act as a filter; for that I'm thankful.

A true innocent erring in ignorance will usually offer thanks when corrected and either format or drop his idea, with a new understanding of the reason and necessity of it. The narcissist or prima donna on the other hand will have his feelings hurt when his "brilliant" "new" idea is panned, laughed at, ignored, or shuffled off to the dnsl purgatory. Never one for self-examination, he will instead reach for the only possible explanation: the low "level and knowledge of forum participants" who cannot possibly appreciate the changes he wants to make.

Well said. Apart from the "inattention by the moderator" ofcourse. You forgot the inattent posters that do not report these issues :p

Tony 85 the Generous

One opinion, the rest is fact.

Opinon: All the ideas are lost in the thread
Fact: The ideas are mixed in with the opinions (aka feedback) on the new feature in the feedback thread
Fact: There is no gauge of community support regarding the ideas pitched in the feed back thread (no poll available nor segregated feedback direct)
Fact: By being part of the feedback thread traceability is lost, was the idea acceptable, was the idea accepted, was it submitted to the devs, etc. The traceability is provided within the ideas forum by the sub-forums.

Emberguard

One opinion, the rest is fact.

Opinon: All the ideas are lost in the thread
Fact: The ideas are mixed in with the opinions (aka feedback) on the new feature in the feedback thread
Fact: There is no gauge of community support regarding the ideas pitched in the feed back thread (no poll available nor segregated feedback direct)
Fact: By being part of the feedback thread traceability is lost, was the idea acceptable, was the idea accepted, was it submitted to the devs, etc. The traceability is provided within the ideas forum by the sub-forums.
Actually the above is not entirely correct. In the context of searching on the forums [as a player] sure. In the context of what the devs get to see it’s completely wrong. None of the ideas are lost and it’s better to have it in those feedback threads when it’s relevant to do so