• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Is there a guide for someone who is thinking about forming a guild?

Angry.Blanket

There are 2 reasons to start a guild in my opinion
1 You need a place to park your city while you take a break. very weak reason because most worlds have 3000 to 4000 single person guilds you could park in
2 All the guilds on your world are full.

Emberguard

If you want to form a Guild, your best bet is knowing who your members will be beforehand. The system will avoid advertising your Guild in the Join Guild tab unless you have a minimum of 10 players

FriarTuck

What I would like to know are the duties, responsibilities and perks of being a guild master. I realize it is slow going but I know I have to have goods to open the GE levels--what else?

FriarTuck

Let me explain my thinking. I'm in SAJP and bored waiting for TITAN to open. Thinking back, I can see that the worst mistakes I made involved friends and, later, guild members. I never really became friends with my friends--just used them to get blueprints when I ought to have really helped them along. Once in a guild I did not really help those below me climb. Perhaps I'm foolish to think I can start over in the stone age and remedy my negligence. Or is this just wishful thinking--I am who I am and can't really change my playing style.

also, the reason i started my guild was that i wanted to have an extra challenge, and because the guild i was in i was not happy with, nor any of the others i tried. i also wanted to create a guild for potterheads, based on elements within the series

Dursland

I've led a guild before, took it to #1 actually. It's a lot of work for very little reward. Make sure you are prepared for that.

Potterhead guild sounds like a great idea and definitely a way to draw people in, even members of other guilds if you can manage to recruit them.

Good luck :)

Emberguard

Thinking back, I can see that the worst mistakes I made involved friends and, later, guild members. I never really became friends with my friends--just used them to get blueprints when I ought to have really helped them along.
What exactly do you have in mind by “ought to have really helped them along”? How does creating a new Guild help in that goal more than doing the same thing in a pre-existing Guild?

The biggest responsibilities of a leader are two things.
1. Managing the Guild Treasury
2. Guiding the Guilds direction, so each player has what is necessary to thrive, and the Guild is all going in the same direction

Each player must take responsibility for their own city, it’s their city. But you can encourage the members of your Guild to take those cities in a certain direction

ie, this guy needs blueprints, inform the Guild X member needs blueprints and request anyone who is levelling that building to offer X member a spot / swap

The Lady Redneck

I would suggest you find a good top guild who would be willing to have you and thank them for the privilege. Then work hard finding out first what you will need from ordinary members by being one. Look at the perks the founders have set up to encourage and thank their members for their effort. and work your butt off to become eligible to become a leader, Then you look at all sides of the guild Treasury. helping with Admin, raising folks GBs, leading GBG maybe also GvG. as the leaders do most of that kind of work, There is not just fighting, there is admin stuff to do also and think up perks for those who do the thankless task of GBG Diplo . You need a big team of thick skinned people who can remainpolite co cofet it 24/7 Also perks for those who do all 5 levels of GE. Are you wanting to get into GvG also?. You have also to listen to everyones grumbles and resolve them behind closed doors (NO open drama in the guild as that depresses folk and they will leave) As for the perks you get. Simply the pride of building a strong guild where all the members respect you Even if they might not agree with what you want. they will follow out of loyalty and respect,

Then as Sharman says, you spend a long time building up a strong leadership team, Get their respect and when new members do come in they will see a strong structure that will help them grow.

Last edited:

The Lady Redneck

LOL Been there did that. And I had a mix of rednecks and Yankees to teach me ;P Took me 2 years. Had the guild for another year, then disbanded it As all the changes happening to the game took a lot of the fun away and I decided I needed to change how I played the game.

Orius Maximus

2. Guiding the Guilds direction, so each player has what is necessary to thrive, and the Guild is all going in the same direction

Each player must take responsibility for their own city, it’s their city. But you can encourage the members of your Guild to take those cities in a certain direction

ie, this guy needs blueprints, inform the Guild X member needs blueprints and request anyone who is levelling that building to offer X member a spot / swap

That's the part that's so much fun. When guild members need help, don't ask for it, and then quit because they feel their needs aren't being met.

The Lady Redneck

That's the part that's so much fun. When guild members need help, don't ask for it, and then quit because they feel their needs aren't being met.
Guild Founder should dedicate a leader to get in touch with the silent ones at first. To say if there was anything they were not understanding in the game that was stopping their progress. To please ask, that it was the guilds pleasure and responsibility to help them. so please either message any leader with any question, or ask in the guild bar, coffee house (or whatever name you give to the general chat thread).
After a few days (no longer than a week) if still no sign of activity. Another message saying help is still there for them, But if they refused to join in and come forward to ask themselves they would be let go to find a guild more suited to their style of play. Then booted a few days later if there is no response. . With a note to the guild saying XYZ removed for non-communication. That has a two sided affect. It lets other new and not so new player see that management is working for them and help is there. And also lets other new folks know that this is not a guild for solitary players.

Orius Maximus

Guild Founder should dedicate a leader to get in touch with the silent ones at first. To say if there was anything they were not understanding in the game that was stopping their progress. To please ask, that it was the guilds pleasure and responsibility to help them. so please either message any leader with any question, or ask in the guild bar, coffee house (or whatever name you give to the general chat thread).
After a few days (no longer than a week) if still no sign of activity. Another message saying help is still there for them, But if they refused to join in and come forward to ask themselves they would be let go to find a guild more suited to their style of play. Then booted a few days later if there is no response. . With a note to the guild saying XYZ removed for non-communication. That has a two sided affect. It lets other new and not so new player see that management is working for them and help is there. And also lets other new folks know that this is not a guild for solitary players.

Some players are just quiet, and it makes it hard to tell which ones are content and which ones are quietly stewing instead of speaking up. Some players get bored or frustrated with the game regardless of what the guild does. And some people just quit for reasons that have nothing to do with the game.

Anyway I don't like to constantly bug the players either and prefer to let them play at their own pace. I've run guilds/clans in games before FoE was even around, and sometimes dealing with players can be a real pain in the ass no matter what game you're playing.

The Lady Redneck

Some players are just quiet, and it makes it hard to tell which ones are content and which ones are quietly stewing instead of speaking up. Some players get bored or frustrated with the game regardless of what the guild does. And some people just quit for reasons that have nothing to do with the game.

Anyway I don't like to constantly bug the players either and prefer to let them play at their own pace. I've run guilds/clans in games before FoE was even around, and sometimes dealing with players can be a real pain in the ass no matter what game you're playing.
Cannot agree about it being hard to tell the quietly contented players from the others They may say nothing, but their cities are growing. Their fight count and points are going up. They are getting the right GB's, you can see their involvement in GE and GBG and Stick. Also in the guild treasury you can see where they have done quest that ask for treasury goods. If I messaged those guys it would be to thank them and let them know that the guild is always ready to help. As for those who show none of the above. I do not consider 2 messages over a week or so after they have been in the guild for a little while to be constantly bugging them. That will be the only communication they would receive. Those who have no thought and do not care that they are lumbering a new guild with costly dead wood require no better back. But instead of just dumping them I do the polite thing. I preferred letting them go before they get to the PIA stage :)