• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Mobile vs. PC

-Athena-

I am a PC user through and through on 90% of everything I do...not just this game. While the cell can be a convenient way to get things done in a pinch I find using a PC to be more efficient and overall a better platform on most everything including this game. I had to play Forge of Empires by Mobile APP for a couple of weeks and I just have to say how on earth can anyone choose to play this game on that platform. Worst game experience ever. I can see playing a game like Candy Crush but FOE has so many layers (too many if you ask me but that's well documented in other threads).

I keep hearing how InnoGames is more dedicated to the Mobile version as they say people are increasingly playing FOE through that venue so I am curious what people like and dislike about Mobile vs. PC and what is their preference and why....
(my experience was only on cell as I do not have or plan on having a tablet/ipad)

I will say the one feature that the MOBILE APP has going for it is how quick you can add to people's Great Buildings. Really my only Pro for it.

Cons of Mobile:
No 5 diamond collect feature.
GE adding and replacing troops even with slide feature was tedious.
Size of screen to even battle whether it was hood, Continent Map, or GE.
Aiding/Tavern Sitting also tedious, in out in out slide to next and so on.
Just doesn't have the same feel of guild camaraderie as you do in guild chat which is not available.
^^Similarly global chat in terms of being a member of the server.
No access to guild forum.
No GvG feature which of course is my big draw to this game (also well documented) but that aside I would hate to play something on a platform where I didn't get to experience all a game had to offer.
I would hate to have to lead my guild for any length of time without my pulse on things mentioned that one has no access to.
Building and dropping any buildings. Worst ever. You have to be extra careful not to delete anything by mistake.
Any kind of city restructuring ridiculously frustrating.....my guess is most people don't change their cities much and they probably aren't very efficient or up to date.
You don't get to see the number of each kind of troops you have per era or at least I never figured it out.
You don't get to see how much time you have left before a GB pops to collect. Again maybe I wasn't able to see it.
I'm pretty sure there were more things which had me muttering "this seriously sucks" under my breath but I think you get the gist of it.

And as I said I am interested in others' experiences and opinions with the different platforms......

DeletedUser29623

I play almost entirely on a tablet. The browser version feels aggravatingly slow to me, and it looks washed out, but I agree that phone screens are too small to play this game on except when there’s no other alternative, like when I’m traveling.

Most of the other stuff you missed I either don’t care about (GvG) or have never used so don’t know what I’m missing. The few times I’ve looked at global chat have made me perfectly content not to see any more of it. I’m not sure why aiding is slow for you on mobile. I can do it very quickly.

The few things I wish for are being able to search in the event history, a display of the collection times for GBs. I also don’t know what the “5 diamond collect” feature is, but that does sound worth logging in for.

I vastly prefer rearranging the city on my tablet because of the crisper performance. The main advantage, though, is I can play anywhere, rather than having to sit at my computer. To me, the browser version is not a “PC game.” It’s a browser game. If there were a legit PC version, I’d probably play that more often than the browser one. I assume that it looks like crap and is so slow because of bandwidth issues.

DeletedUser29623

I would really like to know what the “5 diamond collect feature” is, if anyone can explain.

DeletedUser40197

I can view it, but I can’t search it to see if a specific player has aided me in the past 5 days.
Go through and aid from the event history, so you're only aiding players who have aided you, then when you go to your friend list anyone who you can aid from there has not aided you in 7 days. And you can stop aiding from your history to make it true for 5 days if that's your criteria.

DeletedUser29623

Go through and aid from the event history, so you're only aiding players who have aided you, then when you go to your friend list anyone who you can aid from there has not aided you in 7 days. And you can stop aiding from your history to make it true for 5 days if that's your criteria.

I’m aware of this method, but Its much easier to just search the event history in the browser version. Plus, I have RFP, DT and SV, so it’s in my interest to aid high level players even if they don’t aid me back. I’m not willing to sacrifice those benefits just to periodically weed out low-level inactives.

DeletedUser29623

On PC, when production is finished there is an option to collect all with one button. You pay 5 diamonds for that.

Thank you. I was afraid I’d missed an opportunity to collect 5 diamonds!

You can swipe to do this on mobile, btw

DeletedUser33179

I've only ever played on ipad & greatly enjoy that platform's convenience & ease of use. Don't miss anything about browser version, except I think its Cmap/GE battle screens give more info than mobile.

No 5 diamond collect feature.

Purely a luxury item. But I can see how you'd miss it if you've used it frequently in browser version.

GE adding and replacing troops even with slide feature was tedious.

Building and dropping any buildings. Worst ever. You have to be extra careful not to delete anything by mistake.

Any kind of city restructuring ridiculously frustrating.....my guess is most people don't change their cities much and they probably aren't very efficient or up to date.

If you're used to the point & click of mouse, any hold & slide features are bound to feel tedious simply by nature of it being different movements. But actual time required to do each way is the same for a person frequently utilizing it.

I find aiding, tavern visiting, etc very quick & easy. With all the confirmation boxes we have now, accidentally deleting a building tends to occur when folks simply moving too quickly while not paying close enough attention (as they also click on the confirm deletion button). Recon mode makes arranging city very convenient, especially with the feature to save the work-in-progress. That tons of folks really need to make an attempt at more efficient city design is from lack of knowledge &/or limited effort, not because of tools available to them.

However, a mouse pointer will always be more precise than a finger - so much more accurate in selecting correct buildings than would ever be able to do on mobile.

Size of screen to even battle whether it was hood, Continent Map, or GE.

Most games utilizing an expansive active field for frequent activities - such as city building & PvP games - will always be more inconvenient on cell phones smaller screen size. Using ipad, I find its size works very well. Would be nice to be able to zoom out another couple levels - like browser can - to view my entire city on the screen. But that's mostly because it'd be nice at times just to be able to take 1 full picture of it instead of piecemeal.

Just doesn't have the same feel of guild camaraderie as you do in guild chat which is not available.

^^Similarly global chat in terms of being a member of the server.

No access to guild forum.

I would hate to have to lead my guild for any length of time without my pulse on things mentioned that one has no access to.

I've got zero interest in global chat. Never have in any games I've played over the years. Although, I can certainly see where no mobile access to guild chat could be awkward/inconvenient in guilds with mix of mobile & browser players.

No GvG feature which of course is my big draw to this game (also well documented) but that aside I would hate to play something on a platform where I didn't get to experience all a game had to offer.

I'm on record (multiple times) having no interest whatsoever for GvG for various reasons, & would never even glance at it if it was on mobile. But your point is a very valid one... GvG is a substantial game feature, just like GE & settlements & events. Unfortunately, Inno screwed up in this regard & it won't be rectified. (Sorry that GvG got screwed that way, though)

You don't get to see the number of each kind of troops you have per era or at least I never figured it out.

@Alskah already touched on this a bit. Also, if you scroll to the end of the troop bar, you can click on an info button which will tell you exactly how many unattached units you have (if you've selected a specific Age &/or unit type, then is quicker to get to that button).

Only Browser gives setting option to mark units as Unattached, which I'd find helpful. (I know if I go to browser version & set it that way, it'll then display for me on mobile - but that's not the point).

You don't get to see how much time you have left before a GB pops to collect.

True. Many folks try to get most GB collections in synch with city collections - so not really needed there. Though, I do see the potential benefit of having it for some those fight/plunder GBs with set amount of uses within 24 hour period, as you may have good reasons to use it at various times.

DeletedUser

Thank you. I was afraid I’d missed an opportunity to collect 5 diamonds!

You can swipe to do this on mobile, btw
You can swipe with your mouse on PC, too, but with the 5 Diamond Collect feature you can collect all the FP produced in your city even if it puts you way over 100 on the bar. Can't do that by swiping. And it is a huge convenience if you have Diamond farm cities with a lot of buildings, assuming you have a lot of WWs/FoYs. I generally collect at least 3 of my cities that way, sometimes 4, and always still turn a Diamond profit because all you need is one of those WWs/FoYs to pay out Diamonds (45) in order to pay for all that day's collecting.

DeletedUser

Aiding/Tavern sitting can be faster than on PC, but you have to go right to left instead of left to right. If you go right to left, then when you get to the guild mate/friend/hoodie on the left, the screen will slide the next one into view for you.

Other "cons" on mobile:
Moving buildings outside of Reconstruction Mode (and all the time in Settlements). You can't directly swap building positions like you can on PC. With mobile you need a clear space to move buildings into temporarily. This is a nuisance in your main city, but a huge complication in Settlements where progress is much more time sensitive (assuming you're trying to get Runestone fragments).
Resetting productions is also much, much easier on PC with the hotkeys.

Algona

You can swipe with your mouse on PC, too, but with the 5 Diamond Collect feature you can collect all the FP produced in your city even if it puts you way over 100 on the bar. Can't do that by swiping. And it is a huge convenience if you have Diamond farm cities with a lot of buildings, assuming you have a lot of WWs/FoYs. I generally collect at least 3 of my cities that way, sometimes 4, and always still turn a Diamond profit because all you need is one of those WWs/FoYs to pay out Diamonds (45) in order to pay for all that day's collecting.

This The perfect enabler for folk who have a lot of really large Diamond farms.

One other feature, you get to automatically set all collected productions.

I got hooked on Diamond collecting in both my CE cities late last year. Huge time savings. Massive amounts on the FP bar, Reduces 'slippage' to near zero. No window for plunderers. A luxury? I guess.

Bit it sure looks cool watching scores of buildings explode with resources all at once.

Biggest negative is that it ruins city collection based RQs.

Regarding the main topic?

I suspect INNO will keep trying to provide interfaces that keep customers reaching for thier wallet. They seem to be doing a fine job of it so far.

DeletedUser30312

Mobile's useful for collecting and emptying the tavern. I also much prefer the guild treasury donation interface to the browser version. Downside is fighting, can't mouse over the hexes, so you can't see what the terrain is on them, which is probably the biggest disadvantage. OTOH, it does display potential damage number for enemy units, so you can see at a glance what's going to be most vulnerable at a glance, though I still strongly prefer to fight manually on browser.

Rearranging a city, especially a big one, is harder on mobile, which is probably why the reconstruction mode was introduced, or at least one of the reasons. And like @Stephen Longshanks said, you can't just swap buildings around on mobile, you need empty spaces. This is especially annoying on the Settlements feature.

I don't really miss the guild chat or guild forum. The guild I'm in on my main city has a good number of mobile players, or at least a somewhat even mix of mobile and browser users. So the features naturally don't get used, and all guild communication is through the Message Center. Main downside there is that the Message Center only holds stuff for 60 days so the guild can't put permanent information there for the members.