• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

negotiations

BigBrian614

Is it just me or has Inno changed their negotiation programming? I can not seem to get more than 1 or 2 (4 or 5) goods negotiation before getting stopped with a 6 good negotiation. I do not attempt 6 good negotiations. I am talking about Battlegrounds only.

Rich The Boldest

Is it just me or has Inno changed their negotiation programming? I can not seem to get more than 1 or 2 (4 or 5) goods negotiation before getting stopped with a 6 good negotiation. I do not attempt 6 good negotiations. I am talking about Battlegrounds only.

Why don't you do the 6 goods negotiations, if it's only one good of each it's no big deal.
Learn how to do the negotiations and it's no big deal. You might have noticed that it seems to want you to spend diamonds on one of the sets and then you start winning them.
During GBG start the new day doing negotiations so you don't waste good then fight as your attrition gets higher.

Last edited:

Gypsy Grace

I find that I can attempt the 6 option negotiation on GBG with occasional success on the first try. I 'give up' and try again with fairly decent success. Your success might vary...never know until you try.

BigBrian614

Why don't you do the 6 goods negotiations, if it's only one good of each it's no big deal.
Learn how to do the negotiations and it's no big deal. You might have noticed that it seems to want you to spend diamonds on one of the sets and then you start winning them.
During GBG start the new day doing negotiations so you don't waste good then fight as your attrition gets higher.

I have tried the 6 good negotiations but my success on them with 3 cities and 2 years have been not good at all unless you spend diamonds. I have had success with them in GE with the extra turn. However, on 3 turns, my success has been so bad that I don't even attempt them anymore. I have tried just about every tip that I have found in the forums.

Pericles the Lion

I've seen it in GBG many times, you'll be losing 5 times in a row on one negotiation then you pay the diamonds for the extra turn and then I'll run the board to get my 15 in for the day!
Just coincidence. I negotiate in GBG every day just to use up SC charges. Always use up all the charges. Never spend diamonds. Oh, and I don't think that I've every lost 5 times in a row, even with 6-good negos. Think about it logically. If INNO programmed a way of tweaking the outcome on-the-fly after a player uses diamonds for an extra turn do you really think they would tweak it to make it easier? I think they would think "fish on!" and maintain the level of difficulty.

BigBrian614

Just coincidence. I negotiate in GBG every day just to use up SC charges. Always use up all the charges. Never spend diamonds. Oh, and I don't think that I've every lost 5 times in a row, even with 6-good negos. Think about it logically. If INNO programmed a way of tweaking the outcome on-the-fly after a player uses diamonds for an extra turn do you really think they would tweak it to make it easier? I think they would think "fish on!" and maintain the level of difficulty.
I have never tried it 5 times. after 3 I would just give up. However, I no longer even attempt 6 good negotiations. That is why my original question was about why that was all that I was seeing. With the new map, I am not having that issue, I am able to find 4 and 5 good negotiations.

Rich The Boldest

I think that INNO would do anything to get players to spend money. To them this is not a game but a money machine. Hey just play on and enjoy, that's what I do!

Skag

I have always wondered if the attrition factor for fighting may also be applied in the background to influence negotiation difficulty. My early negotiations are fairly straight forward, but as attrition builds, they become more difficult (and more expensive goods-wise). I've had runs with prolonged (17) 6-good negotiations. If INNO's purpose is to get me to spend more money, it may work short term, but in the end I will vote with my feet. .

Johnny B. Goode

I have always wondered if the attrition factor for fighting may also be applied in the background to influence negotiation difficulty. My early negotiations are fairly straight forward, but as attrition builds, they become more difficult (and more expensive goods-wise). I've had runs with prolonged (17) 6-good negotiations. If INNO's purpose is to get me to spend more money, it may work short term, but in the end I will vote with my feet. .
The attrition factor is applied to both fighting and negotiating. It would make no sense to have attrition in this case only apply to fighting.

Kranyar the Mysterious

The attrition factor is applied to both fighting and negotiating. It would make no sense to have attrition in this case only apply to fighting.
He is talking about some kind of mechanism that makes negotiations harder to successfully complete as your attrition goes up, not the extra cost you have to pay. I've never noticed anything of the sort, even when well over 100 attrition. Negotiations are just what they are. Sometimes you narrow down the tough ones and guess right in the last turn, sometimes you don't.

Johnny B. Goode

He is talking about some kind of mechanism that makes negotiations harder to successfully complete as your attrition goes up, not the extra cost you have to pay.
No. He is talking about the cost and the fact that you get more 6 good negotiations. He mentions those facts as support for his thought that "somehow" attrition is affecting negotiations as well as fighting. He clearly thought it only applied to fighting and is slowly waking up to the fact that it affects both. He even refers to it as:
the attrition factor for fighting
So he is not talking about some nefarious background scheme by Inno, although he thinks he is, he is talking about the actual mechanism that he did not understand correctly.

Kranyar the Mysterious

No. He is talking about the cost and the fact that you get more 6 good negotiations. He mentions those facts as support for his thought that "somehow" attrition is affecting negotiations as well as fighting. He clearly thought it only applied to fighting and is slowly waking up to the fact that it affects both. He even refers to it as:

So he is not talking about some nefarious background scheme by Inno, although he thinks he is, he is talking about the actual mechanism that he did not understand correctly.
He is all over the place, so I'll admit I'm confused about what he is saying, and not just because I'm going senile. If you can understand, then I applaud you!

BigBrian614

I find that I can attempt the 6 option negotiation on GBG with occasional success on the first try. I 'give up' and try again with fairly decent success. Your success might vary...never know until you try.
I believe that I can count on 1 hand the number of times that I completed a 6 goods negotiation on 3 turns. It does get easier (more "incorrects") as you do it it over and over however, I really don't have that kind of time to waste.

Insatiable1

The negotiation algorithm in GBG is unbalanced. The negotiations in GE are much better. They start off with 2 goods choices. A 6-good negotiation, even if only 1 of each good, is NOT balanced in relation to attrition. One starting off at 0 Attrition should not have 6-good choices in a negotiation. If GE can manage to understand the difference in difficulty is the number of choices, and NOT the number of each individual good, GBG should as well. I hope Inno changes this some time in the future.

Raffles.

Well I might not understand all the game mechanisms, and to be honest I almost never negotiate in GBG anymore, but I don't find 6-item negotiations harder than 5 item. Truth. There is a logical way to go about all negotiations, involving probabilities. If you use the math, you just need a teeny bit of luck.
As far as I have seen, all the attrition does is raise the cost in goods.
That said, I had one player who was convinced that he could get the game to switch from 6 to 5 if he just hopped into a different sector for one round.