• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Next steps with Mobile Video Ads (Feedback thread)

oldsparky

The ads are pretty annoying to me. I used to play a lot on my iPhone.... I just deleted the app
In the past I have thrown already plenty of green backs into the game (yes, real money) - no way that I will pay for Forge+, to get away from the forced ads.
As a result I will just play less

Last edited:

Orius Maximus

I feel badly for my mobile-counterparts as all I've heard for weeks - and today! oh, my! - is just how bad it is. I've always supported gaming companies charging for their services provided the players want to pay but I've never been a fan of the ad-blasters.

The complaints are overblown. The ads are pretty easy to ignore, and none of them are particularly essential to any gameplay.

Fearezen

I read players are going to quit over the ads. I guess paying $3.99 a month is way too expensive for them? That is under fourteen cents a day. And IMO fourteen cents is probably not even paying your share of electricity, let alone the equipment and staff. LOL
So quitting a game you played and invested thousands of hours in, because you refuse (on principle of course) to pay a penny. (actually fourteen pennies) a day
I call that "Cutting off your nose to spite your face." mentality.
But go ahead and quit. No one cares. Certainly not Inno.
Yes i agree the ads are awful. So pony up the $3.99 a month. Get over it. :cool:
(Edit: supposedly there actually is a $3.99 extortion fee package on mobile to remove ads. The only option clearly labeled to remove ads that I could find on Google Pixel 4XL before I uninstalled, was the Forge Plus package. Since I will under no circumstances reinstall this game, I cannot verify that a less expensive $3.99/month extortion fee option exists.

It's possible A/B testing may be ongoing with how prevalently they show the 2 options. It's also entirely possible I am simply extremely unobservant. But I looked for options on Android for 30 minutes, as I was genuinely shocked that $30/month was the only apparent choice, before I finally gave up and uninstalled.)

It is $30 a month, not $4. Where in the world are you getting $4? Get your facts straight before you post something.
I repeat: Forge Plus to avoid ads, costs $30/month, not "$3.99."
Not only is it 7.5 times more expensive than $4, it is active on only one world. So you can only escape the extremely excessive ads plastered everywhere imaginable on one world of your choosing for the monthly price of two full Netflix accounts. It's only been on mobile thus far but they are about to roll this absurd system out to all desktop users as well. Every 2 months of their ransom fee, you could buy a new big title video game that just dropped. Forge of Empires is not in any way worth or equivalent to 6 big name game titles per year. This ad system and the "Forge Plus" monthly ransom is beyond greedy; it's entirely out of touch with reality.

Last edited:

Ebeondi Asi

Here is the reply from Inno on my Ticket about the $3.99 no ad offer:
Hello *Enoch*,

Thanks so much for contacting FOE Support!

It isn't an app; it's a subscription. If it is available (it isn't, for all players) you can find it on your mobile device only (not the browser version) under the cash shop (+ sign next to the diamonds) in the subscriptions tab.

Best regards,
Encompassed
Co-Community Manager

Kaidi

I read players are going to quit over the ads. I guess paying $3.99 a month is way too expensive for them? That is under fourteen cents a day. And IMO fourteen cents is probably not even paying your share of electricity, let alone the equipment and staff. LOL
So quitting a game you played and invested thousands of hours in, because you refuse (on principle of course) to pay a penny. (actually fourteen pennies) a day
I call that "Cutting off your nose to spite your face." mentality.
But go ahead and quit. No one cares. Certainly not Inno.
Yes i agree the ads are awful. So pony up the $3.99 a month. Get over it. :cool:
I've been playing for 7 years 2 months. Fortunately, I play computer. In my Carthage city - so...17 months old? - my Castle is halfway through level 17. That doesn't count what I spent the first 5 and a half years. lol. Tell me again how I should pay $4.00/month if I wanted to play mobile?

Ebeondi Asi

You do not need to pay. watch the ads. :rolleyes:
I am just a messenger. I play PC. if the ads came to PC and an adblock could not get rid of them, I would have no problem paying $3.99 a month. I have three Cities, Two with level 18 Castle, third is Castle level 17 also. So what?
Inno doesn't "owe' me. I enjoyed playing. I figure if they go belly up I had fun here for years and years.. I did not spend day in day out grousing about how it sucked**. and they owe me because blah blah blah..

**Well maybe once or twice ;)

Last edited:

Kaidi

I am just a messenger. I play PC. if the ads came to PC and an adblock could not get rid of them, I would have no problem paying $3.99 a month. I have three Cities, Two with level 18 Castle, third is Castle level 17 also. So what?
Inno doesn't "owe' me. I enjoyed playing. I figure if they go belly up I had fun here for years and years.. I did not spend day in day out grousing about how it sucked**. and they owe me because blah blah blah..

I don't grouse because they "owe me". I'm saying it's totally not worth it to me after spending thousands on this game to be forced to pay an extra $4 per month, assuming this came to computer and couldn't be blocked. I'd be done. If it is for you then that's great. I have better things to do with my time. If they weren't so intrusive, so you could just ignore them, that'd be fine. But they ARE intrusive. It's a really bad implementation.

For me to have two level 18 Castles and one level 17 Castle would cost something like....$14k. If you spent that kind of money in 18 months, no wonder you're not worried about $4/month. :p

Mor-Rioghain

@*Enoch* 's post for reference only to:
For me to have two level 18 Castles and one level 17 Castle would cost something like....$14k. If you spent that kind of money in 18 months, no wonder you're not worried about $4/month. :p
I have 6 cities with the following castle levels and I included how old they are and Era:
  • City#1: 5 yrs. 4 months, Castle L9, TE
  • City#2: 5 yrs. 3 months, Castle L10, AF
  • City#3: 5 yrs. 2.75 months, Castle L12, FE
  • City#4: 4 yrs. .17 months, Castle L8, ME
  • City's 5 & 6 (Carthage and Dilmun) built about Oct 2022 maybe 3 weeks apart, Castle Levels 5 (HMA/EMA)
City #3 is my main and with one "noob" mistake on my part, has had all of my game purchases on it except for Diamond Bundle Packs 2+ years ago. The reason I mention this is that as I understand it, it's not just the purchase of packages or other in-game currency but also your #of fights, negotiations, world rank, era, i.e., pretty much everything that you'd do to earn/determine world rank PLUS your real-$ expenditures.

Saying that someone "must have spent about 14K to earn 2 castle tower levels in the mid- to high-teens is, imho, a total guess. Inno's math may be confusing or even confounding from time to time but there are set parameters and it's been announced. (My total expenditures over a 1/2 year time frame are pretty high but surely no where near 14K, either!

I may not like some (all) of the new(er) changes and I definitely don't like that Inno doesn't give us "much" warning but all of the changes that I'm aware of have in fact been announced in advance in terms of upcoming monetary increases and the like. It's only been when something goes wrong in either testing or launching the game live that unnounced changes might be implementated.

How on Earth is any different from any other Internet Company - gaming or otherwise - in the whole world??

Dear Kings and Queens,

Please leave any feedback for our announcement Next steps with Mobile Video Ads below. Please keep it constructive so we can pass along your thoughts. Thanks!

Your forge of Empires tt

Dear Kings and Queens,

Please leave any feedback for our announcement Next steps with Mobile Video Ads below. Please keep it constructive so we can pass along your thoughts. Thanks!

Your forge of Empires team
I have been regular purchaser of diamonds, especially during events and when bonus diamonds are offered. When it was announced that ad requirements would be based upon whether a player was purchasing diamonds, I began to make sure to buy them regularly instead of sporadically. I understand that Inno has to make money just the same as any business so I made my purchases and considered this a nice trade off for both of us.

I am extremely displeased that my screen is now littered with obtrusive icons for ads and videos and I cannot get rid of these without paying a set amount monthly. This removes any choice I had in the matter and turns this game into a monthly bill instead of entertainment.

All of this completely changes how I feel when playing the game. I used to look forward to opening the game, gathering my collections and checking in on my friends. It was enjoyable and relieved stress. In short, thoughts of this game and playing it created a feeling of happiness for me. Now, however, when open the game, I feel annoyance, and to be honest, a bit of anger. Think about it -- how does paying bills make you feel? Especially as opposed to how you feel when you make a bright, shiny purchase of your own choice?

I feel I've done my part by spending money on this game and I was fine with that because the game gave me happiness, as a game should. Since I had some choice in the matter of my purchasing, I would have continued to spend. Choice has now been removed, however, and enjoyment has been replaced by dread of annoyance and some resentment when I open my game. As a result, I'm already playing less, and I can tell you, since I now be getting less for my money, I certainly will not be buying any more diamonds.

As of now, I'm still playing, but I can see that changing soon. I'm sure this game will go by the wayside for me as others have.

Wool4d

Dear Kings and Queens,

Your forge of Empires team
I am not a big complainer, but I think there was a bit of bait and switch on the whole ad thing. As many people have stated, when this announcement came out Inno stated that if you monetized, then you would be exempt from ads. I continued purchasing diamonds and event bonuses based on that assumption. I do not expect the game to be 100% free because a company has to make money at the end of the day.

HOWEVER, this past week I started getting the ad-flood that everyone is complaining about. Nobody at Inno will respond to why they opted to not honor the "you give us $$ and we won't blast ads" promise.

As someone else stated, I also went to look at the package to get rid of ads, but $28 was completely unacceptable. I noticed today that there is a new offer in the market for the no-ads "subscription at $3.99 per month, but with the caveat that it automatically renews each month. Putting in that automatic renewal is not acceptable, especially given the current climate of people over-paying for all kinds of subscriptions because they forget to stop the billing or opt out.

I do play some other games (ie. Supercell), and the Inno pricepoint is comparable to that, but I purchase it each month, and there are months I do opt out because I will not be active due to lack of updates/upgrades. The auto-renewal is old school AOL tactics and not acceptable today.

Additionally, if Inno is going to start this whole pay to remove ad thing, then they should be doing monthly upgrades as other games do (you want $$ we expect improvements). It's not a one-way street, and monthly "events" do not count as an upgrade, because there are parts to it which can only be realized through paying $$.

As a side note, maybe if Inno stopped paying all the $$ for all of the TV ads, they could afford to lower the price-points for people who actually play.

Minigal

Thanks, just what I expected. Too costly for those of us with multiple worlds. If it was per account, I think it would be much better. I'll just skip the ads, as I mostly play on pc anyhow.