• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Oceanic Future - Part 5 Feedback

• Thread starter DeletedUser4770
  • Start date

DeletedUser4770

Let us know what you think about this fifth part of our oceanic journey. We're looking forward to your feedback here! :)

Thank you for playing Forge of Empires!

Yours,
Forge of Empires Team

DeletedUser26120

Frenzy is interesting but based on observations in ME, PME, and CE regarding ranged units is that they don't tend to group together too much so I'm not sure how useful that will be.

Any comments from OF players? I am curious as to how this impacts battles.

qaccy

@Dursland Octopods have pretty solid stats, but my guess is that due to the prominence of Turturrets in OF battles they aren't going to see a great deal of use by us; the few situations where Crabs are useful, it's because they have Blast and Octopods don't compensate for that I don't think. They do notably outrange Contact from both Surrogates and Mantas unlike Crabs, but Crabs are only ever used (by me) as a single or pair with 6-7 Turturrets to take care of stray Eels or maybe a Sub. Octopods aren't really better suited for that, and I really don't see them being better than Hover Tanks.

Defensively, they're going to be slightly more annoying than Crabs in battles where Mantas are used. For me, that's battles 41, 54 and 57. I'm not sure how much of an impact it's going to make, but I do know that Octopods can attack from outside Contact's range so every time that happens, that's 4 damage I'm not dealing compared to if it were a Crab that attacked me which means more turns wasted attacking manually and more turns for the enemy to attack me.

garazon

Regarding Octopods: Just completed the new campaign map and faced them on nearly every sector of every province Out of all those only once did the Frenzy effect even come into to play and that was only because of a mistake move on my part. The battles really are easier than the first level of GE Was quite surprised but happy to be able to be done with the map until part 6 :) I cant see me ever using them. Rarely use anything but Turturrets, subs and eels, All the others I use rarely if at all.

Zatrikon

NEW AVATARS! HOW INCREDIBLY USELESS AND UNIMPRESSIVE!
Nobody, and I mean, No. Body. cares about new avatars. Sure, throw them in if you like, but don't announce it like you're doing us a favor.

I may be misunderstanding how Octopods work, but it seems like they do their ranged attack "normally" and also "frenzy" on any adjacent enemies at the same time. This would make them somewhat useful against Eels - move adjacent to one or more Eels, attack some other unit at range, and get an additional hit on the Eel, without triggering retaliation damage. Might work.

There really isn't much need for more production and residential buildings, and certainly none for new decorations and cultural buildings, unless they're small or significant improvements in efficiency over the existing ones.

And LacLongQuan and Piedlpiper are correct: It's time to move on to the next age. And can we stop with the "parts". Release the whole age all at once when you're good and ready. Let's move on to the Orbital Future, or the Lagrangian Point Satellite Future, or the Lunar Age.

Zatrikon

With this fifth part of the Oceanic Future we are giving you:
  • 20 main story line quests
  • 10 side quests
  • 1 new Oceanic Terminal level
  • 2 new crew members
  • 4 expansions (victory and premium expansion have already been available)
  • 8 new technologies to research
  • 1 new residential building
  • 2 new production buildings
  • 1 military building with a new unit
  • 2 new culture buildings
  • 1 new decoration
  • 8 campaign map provinces containing 39 sectors.
  • 3 new player avatars
Looks to me like:
  • 1 new expansion, not 4
  • 1 new production building, not 2
  • 1 new culture building, not 2
Or are they talking about the additional stuff that will be in Part 6?

*Arturis*

Looks to me like:
  • 1 new expansion, not 4
  • 1 new production building, not 2
  • 1 new culture building, not 2
Or are they talking about the additional stuff that will be in Part 6?
You get 2 expansion 1 from techtree, 1 from the map, the diamond/medal already had been out before this patch. Diamond production/culture buildings are counted as new one as well.
Gotta hate this quest lol http://prntscr.com/hj3aso

Zatrikon

Looks to me like only one expansion in the tech tree: "Braving the Deep".

But yeah, I figured out the new premium buildings that you get without having to research them. I forgot about those. Whoops.:oops:

Gotta hate this quest lol http://prntscr.com/hj3aso
It's spelled "Luxury Yacht", but it's pronounced, "Throat Warbler Mangrove".

DeletedUser11733

It's always exciting to have a new part of an era & I quite like the Oceanic Future, but I'm a little concerned about the glut of goods from the Tomorrow Era. Maybe this has already been addressed in the forums, but since many Great Buildings offer unrefined goods (also awarded by shrines & wishing wells, etc), those of us who have now been in the Oceanic Future Era forever have accumulated massive inventories of those unrefined Tomorrow Era goods which seem impossible to unload. They are rarely taken in trades for Future Era goods (the level above Tomorrow). Of course, this may have already been addressed elsewhere & I just don't know the secret workaround.

I look forward to each addition, especially future eras, like a space age era with levitating buildings or something.

Last edited by a moderator:

qaccy

It's always exciting to have a new part of an era & I quite like the Oceanic Future, but I'm a little concerned about the glut of goods from the Tomorrow Era. Maybe this has already been addressed in the forums, but since many Great Buildings offer unrefined goods (also awarded by shrines & wishing wells, etc), those of us who have now been in the Oceanic Future Era forever have accumulated massive inventories of those unrefined Tomorrow Era goods which seem impossible to unload. They are rarely taken in trades for Future Era goods (the level above Tomorrow). Of course, this may have already been addressed elsewhere & I just don't know the secret workaround.

I look forward to each addition, especially future eras, like a space age era with levitating buildings or something.

Goods up to Future Era may always be spent by placing sieges in the associated GvG province. It may take a while to go through thousands of goods if your guild doesn't have a presence on the map, but again there's no limit to how much you can spend there. Of course, if you're not interested in GvG/battling then that's not much benefit to you, but it's still an option!

DeletedUser11733

Good info, qaccy. Our guild doesn't do GvG, but that might be worth looking into. Thanks.

qaccy

Following up on my previous assessment of Octopods, they're definitely able to take some punishment. I did some province battles today, and against my Hover Tanks they were taking 3-5 damage with a 40% bonus...which is the same damage range I had displayed against Mantas (which have a bonus against heavy units). It's merely one data point so not very significant, but having the highest defense out of all units in the game means I expect these things to take a few shots to bring down especially in the later stages of GE.

Do note that I'm still only talking about defense here, specifically when facing them as an opponent. For offense I maintain that they're not going to have very many, if any uses.

garazon

There really isn't much need for more production and residential buildings, and certainly none for new decorations and cultural buildings, unless they're small or significant improvements in efficiency over the existing ones
Oh yes there will be a need now, one of the new quests is to build 10 luxury yachts (24 hr production) from the new "boathouse" supply building. Isnt that fun!? and I'll give a heads up , there is a quest before that to build 2 boathouses, dont try to get ahead like I did and have some built already and producing, then have to delete one to build again :(

qaccy

Do the NPCs in the campaign map have different dialogue depending on whether you negotiate or fight through the encounters? I always thought it was a nice touch that it changed depending on your course of action, but it seems like that's been done away with at some point during this age's various parts. It's not really a huge deal, or maybe it's still happening and I just missed it, but felt like sharing my thoughts.

Snalinif

What is the travel time out of Idlers Range to the next province? The "back to the city" button covers is all up and no way to move or minimize.