• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

ois it worth producing without a boost?

DeletedUser28288

I just entered the Iron age. I've noticed that I never got a "boost" for the stone building. I also don't have the iron boost, so again no building. In order to negotiate with other areas it asks for iron, dye, etc. Is it worth it to build these but not get full use of them? It takes a lot of resources and more people than I have room for. Is it normal to not have these before entering a new era? Thanks for your help

DeletedUser27889

No. You're going to want to only build the goods buildings you have the boost for then trade your goods on the market to get the others.

DeletedUser25625

It is usually not good to have non-boosted goods buildings. However, there are instances where it may be beneficial.

A) you are one of the first people in a new world. Here you won't have many/any trading partners. Unless you use the 3-1 Tavern Silver trade ratio, it's better to have non-boosted goods
B) you are one of the last people in an old world. Again, you'll have difficulty finding trading partners. But at least some established players will have a storehouse of lower age goods.
C) In the higher ages - you need unrefined goods, which you may not have the boost for ...

Other than those situations - yeah it's BAD to build goods buildings for which you are missing a boost. Even if you had to trade 2-1 [same era], you'd still be ahead than producing non-boosted goods.

DeletedUser25625

Time may worth more than the trade value. Having to [fair] trade down multiple ages could take several rounds.

Usually you should trade - just pointing out situations where it might be okay to use non-boosted goods.

DeletedUser26965

I'm relatively new to the refined unrefined thingie, but I'm finding Goods GBs and WWs suffice, but I'm only PME. Does that hold true in the higher Ages?
Depends on how many goods of the age you're in you want to produce which should stand for any age ME-AF. I have all the goods gb's except for RFP but my goods GB's don't produce enough right now to get what I want. Sure I could get RFP and then level all the goods gb's to like level 8 or something to get what I want but by the time I do that and spend thousands of fp's I'll be nearly done with tech;) So I just use both goods buildings/trade and goods gb's.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser8152

Time may worth more than the trade value. Having to [fair] trade down multiple ages could take several rounds.

Usually you should trade - just pointing out situations where it might be okay to use non-boosted goods.
Could just make the unrefined goods you're boosted in, and trade those.

DeletedUser25832

It is never a good idea to build/produce Goods buildings if you do not have the boost. Make sure you are current on the Map. Each age will have two boosts on the map per age. It is easy to fight or negotiate your way through the map to open up the goods provinces.

Another thing to consider is the cost. If you build a non-boosted building you are wasting precious gold and supplies. Not only for the cost of the building itself but for the cost of producing. A boosted building will cost 100 supplies to produce 10 of a Good in an 8 hour period. A non-boosted building will cost the same 100 supplies but only give 1 Good in the same 8 hours. You would have to pay 1,000 supplies to get 10 goods, whereas the same 1,000 supplies in a boosted building would give 100 goods.

Join a Guild of at least 30+ people. They will gladly trade you the goods you have for the goods you need. A smaller guild might not have the people who have the necessary goods in stock or be in the correct age. Being in a Guild you do not pay forge points for the trades.