• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Question] Optimising my World Layout?

DeletedUser26154

This is my city before the Big Change.

start.png

Installing an updated City Hall put me into the million point bracket.

Before.

aaa.png

After.

million.png

*Done editing*

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser26154

I sold a lot of goods buildings and moved things to fill the new expansion squares.
I deleted my Hagia Sophia and moved my Royal Albert's Hall to take it's place.
The happiness I lost by deleting my Hagia Sophia was made up with the Alcatraz.

stage two.png

I'll zoom in so the "Core" is more easy to see.

core keep.png

Then I moved a Zeppelin, two Rogue hideouts, Watchfires, down to bottom right.
Tightened things up.

moved zeppelin tightend keep.png

Had to move and re-arrange more stuff to fit:
My Modern Era goods buildings are now installed in my city.

modern era goods keep.png

2 Construction Warehouses for Luxury Materials.
2 Food processing plants for Convenience Foods.
2 Packaging Factories for Packaging.
I re-installed a Fertilizer Plant because that's what will fit in the space allowed and it's useful.

So for goods buildings I have:
2 Construction Warehouses, 2 Food Processing Plants, 2 Packaging factories, 5 Fertilizer Plants and 1 Whaling Station.
I'm down to 12 goods production buildings, but my goods-producing GB's now do double output for unrefined goods.
And Unrefined Goods is new territory for me.

I lost the pleasing balance and super-tight efficiency. I have long gaps and awkward empty spaces.
The drastic change in shape, for my goods buildings, ruined the beautiful aesthetics.
I'll figure out something but for now, this is how it's going to be.
Here's an overview of my somewhat-finished product.

final for now keep.png

*Done editing*

DeletedUser26154

I used the Watchfires and Premium Prize Decos from the bottom corner to fill in those gaps.
Now I have some free space in the bottom.
It's necessary to have free space available until you are finished re-building your city.

filled in the gaps keep.png

I have a mountain of excess population that I do not need.

population.png

So I removed one High-rise and one Tiger's Den.
That dropped my excess population and gave me more room.
I moved a Zeppelin into the newly-formed, open area.
Tightened up a little more.

population 2.png

gaps are filled 2 done keep.png

Since I jumped into a new era, I had to do a quest for building five Motorways.
Also a quest for making two Modern-Era goods buildings.
I had to sell off, then rebuild my two Packaging Factories.
I should have done more Modern Era quests before placing all of my Modern Era goods buildings.

So this is my, at this time, finished product.
City is tight again, no unintentional wasted space.

fin keep.png

I have one open space on purpose, for doing quests, etc.
It's good to have enough excess population to accommodate building something new.
When I know I'll have at least a week or two of no "build something" quests, I'll put something productive in that open space.

I have to give due credit to a lot of people because if not for them, I wouldn't know nearly as much as I do now.
Some gave me knowledge, some gave me inspiration, some gave me moral support. Everyone gave me all:

Glarg, Jaelis, PhantomForger, Cosmic Raven, ByeOrDie, JennyButler, Honey55, Konrad the Mediocre, Sgt. Bothari,
BruteForceAttack, DarkArtist69, Cassaundrea, Daisy the Benevolent, Ekarat, ITown, KingJase24, Lady Egwene, Manda the First,
Nomad Richie, Pygalgia, Rostertag, Slopyjoeslayer, Wolfhoundtoo, Ylisaveta, Soski, FoETipps, Iamtheemperor, Andarl.

Forgive me if I missed anyone on that due credit list. These forums made all the difference.
A special thanks to Algona for his private conversations coaching me on this next step.
And of course, an extra-special thanks to Panacea for hosting many threads that expanded my knowledge.

curt and armstrong.jpg

My heart-felt Thank You.

*Done editing*

DeletedUser26154

I think every time I progress to a new age or era, I'll do a piece like this.

DeletedUser25920

An update on my LMA city. I finally got the Habitat! Just getting it to lvl1, allowed me to delete quite a few houses and reclaim a lot of space!

LMA City before Habitat:

LMA city before Habitat.JPG

LMA city with Habitat level1:

LMA city with Habitat lvl1.JPG

Now the Habitat is at lvl3 and the extra space has allowed me to build (compared to before I had the Habitat): 10 Sok, 2 supply buildings and 2 goods buildings.

LMA city with Habitat level3:

LMA city with Habitat lvl3.JPG

Of course I will be continuing to level Habitat to get even more space. But now I find myself in a dilemma on what to build in the available space (which is of course a nice problem to have :)
Initially I was thinking of building as many goods buildings as I could (plus maybe RAH to help with supplies that will be consumed).
But since I have enough LMA goods, I was also considering the option of doing more recurring quests. I am currently doing 'light questing', so it could become 'medium questing' (my city is not geared towards doing 'heavy questing' as described by Cosmic Raven, and also LMA is not the best age to do it in anyway). So that would entail deleting the goods buildings (maybe keep a couple) and build as many supply buildings as I can, possibly accompanied by a Chateau.

DeletedUser27889

Lady Egwene it looks great!!! Congrats!

Personally I would use the space for goods buildings or extra barracks or try to go for traz and put it there. You say you have a lot of LMA goods already but maybe try to trade up or down to try to balance out your supply? Great job! I'm halfway to inno myself, I decided to build traz first for the extra happy to get ready for inno.

Also and it's not the easiest building to get but the Dynamic Tower gives supplies and aid goods. The supplies for us LMA-ers was enough for me to get rid of every supply building with the exception of the cider mill and confectionary (which honestly I could delete but I just like them) and still bank over 15K extra supplies a day extra . The aid goods helps me put a dent in the later eras goods for building advanced GBs without having to spend as many FPs trading. You could get them all from DT but that would require patience and a friends/guild list with enough of those era buildings to aid.

Great job! So much more room for activites

DeletedUser27889

Inno lvl 1 for LMA

Before:
Screen Shot 2017-01-06 at 1.13.34 AM.png
After lvl 1 of inno
Screen Shot 2017-01-27 at 2.17.03 AM.png

LVL 1 alone has let me go from 48 houses down to 22. So minus more than half of my houses, or 130 squares including street connections. I finally had enough room to build st. marks and now with getting less coin, a greater motivation.

In about a week I think I'll be good to delete all my 2nd barracks since traz should have me stocked up well enough. This will clear even more pop and room.

All other levels of inno give much less than when you just put it down but still with removing double military my math says it will take me to level 6 before I will be able to delete every house and replace all the extra land with more goods buildings. So it shouldn't be long now.

DeletedUser25920

Congratulations for getting the Inno tower! It looks very nice, and also it is very satisfying to see the houses disappearing :)

DeletedUser26965

Here are some tips, or general guidelines I follow for city design (everything of course is dependent on your playstyle and what you want out of the game):

1) Keep the city as square as possible
2) Put largest buildings on the outside perimeter
3) Attempt to make sure buildings are only touching one road (can't always be helped of course)
4) Have the shorter side of the building touching the road (can't always be helped of course)
5) Almost always have your current age buildings (you can sometimes get through an age without updating some things like residential or supplies production until you get to the next age but always have the current age goods buildings and trade down).
6) Always have your current age roads and have as few roads as possible
7) 1x1 Decorations are generally useless
8) Don't have empty space

Here is an online city builder I highly recommend http://foemanager.com/city-planner/app/

Wanted to update with photo to go with my little tips. This is now pretty much the end of TE for me. Soon I'll be dumping a lot of goods production and switch to military for a while then back for FE goods. My city is in constant flux from progressing quickly but this shows the general idea following my tips. I'm sure it could be optimized better depending on what one seeks out of the game but it's good enough for me.

fEj0zzc.jpg

DeletedUser27096

Wanted to update with photo to go with my little tips. This is now pretty much the end of TE for me. Soon I'll be dumping a lot of goods production and switch to military for a while then back for FE goods. My city is in constant flux from progressing quickly but this shows the general idea following my tips. I'm sure it could be optimized better depending on what one seeks out of the game but it's good enough for me.

fEj0zzc.jpg
Beautiful, clean design...well done! And many thanks, SJS! Your tips helped me a lot when I recently redesigned my city. While mine is not quite as clean as yours, I was able to free up valuable space and get it better organized.

DeletedUser26965

Beautiful, clean design...well done! And many thanks, SJS! Your tips helped me a lot when I recently redesigned my city. While mine is not quite as clean as yours, I was able to free up valuable space and get it better organized.
Ty and I'm glad I could help. There are a lot of bad cities out there:eek:

DeletedUser

Yes and the bad cities always seem to be the ones who want changes and short cuts.

DeletedUser26154

That's pretty much the best, most-efficient way to do it.
Use the least amount of roads.
Great buildings on the edges.

vomit cat.jpg

Where is the Red Light District?