1. GvG Improvements Update

Hello Queens and Kings,
    First up, we wanted to thank you once again for taking the time to continue to contribute your feedback on the upcoming changes to Forge of Empires, especially in relation to Guild Battlegrounds.
    For the detailed description of the upcoming changes, please see the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Cultural Settlement - Feudal Japan

Arising from the Sengoku period of Feudal Japan, the clan of Akechi Mitsuhide has requested your help.
    As the Daimyo of his village, it is your task to lead the Feudal Japan to prosperity! Detailed information here!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Changelog 1.157

Hello Queens and Kings,
    The update to 1.157 will take place on Wed, July 24, 2019. There will be a short period of downtime during the update, we apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
    For the detailed description of the upcoming changes, please see the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Pavlovian Reactionism

Discussion in 'Debate Hall' started by mamboking053, May 13, 2019.

1. lukerduke the wise

lukerduke the wise Member

Well, I get that you're just saying that he isn't a brilliant mind if he got the most important question of all wrong, just pointing out as a side fact that he can still have useful insights.

2. lukerduke the wise

I was also just saying that fastback had a point, if only partially

3. lukerduke the wise

Whoops on a mobile device meant razorback not fastback

4. Graviton

Graviton Well-Known Member

Or at least they think they do. Usually it's about how to run somebody else's life.

Allow me to clarify my statement: I meant to say the party apparatus and the politicians are essentially members of the same Ruling Party. They just kinda-sorta swap power every once in awhile, but they're always there. They exploit those honest policy disagreements that we regular joes have to get us to join their team and demonize the other guys.

I honestly think that too many opinions are emotionally held rather than rationally arrived at. I think that's why people get so upset when their beliefs are challenged: they're not sure why they believe what they do, they just feel that it's right, and so any disagreement is viewed as a personal attack. It also leads to the aforementioned demonization: I think what I believe makes me a good person, so if you disagree with me, you must be a bad person. Nevermind what the arguments are, what the logic is, we skip on by that and assign the motivation solely to character, or lack thereof. It's utter nonsense, and yet I'm convinced that describes a majority of people. Sadly, that is also exploited by policitians, even those who claim to be outsiders.

RazorbackPirate likes this.
  5. lukerduke the wise

Totally agree with that. That is why so many debates turn into shouting matches with each side screaming their one opinion rather than reasoned and informed debate

RazorbackPirate likes this.
  6. Stephen Longshanks

Stephen Longshanks Forum Moderator

Never said he couldn't have useful insights. A person can have all kinds of useful insights on minor stuff, but if they get the big things wrong, they can hardly be called brilliant.

7. RazorbackPirate

RazorbackPirate Well-Known Member

Can't say I agree. Even a blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut. That hardly qualifies him for Mensa.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  8. lukerduke the wise

Very true. I agree for the most part.

9. lukerduke the wise

Stephen all I was doing was defending a small portion of what RazorbackPirate was saying. I am sympathetic to what you are saying but also was trying to explain to you what he was saying. But by now of course I'm sure you understand what he meant

10. Stephen Longshanks

Stephen Longshanks Forum Moderator

I understood what he meant when I first read it.

11. lukerduke the wise

Ok sorry I just misunderstood the first time then. Sorry