• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

pludering is ruining the game

DeletedUser2800

Note, I used a conditional in my statement. Yes, it could be the person is being predictable and they just know that now is the time to be looking at their city and claim the production as it is finished. If this is true, then when they make their report, INNO will see that the activity is normal and not do anything. IF they are using a cheat program (and I can be fairly sure they do exist, I can see the technology used to build FoE, and I know how people work, so they are out there), then a look at the logs should show the annomlous patterns (repeatedly looking at a number of cities at faster than human speed) and detect the cheat.
I think you missed the sarcasm in my post which wasn't directed at you. It was directed at the rant you quoted. You offered the correct advice, but this is a very common rant that can be found on every game forum. Seven times out of ten it's being made by a player that refuses to take responsibility for his own playstyle.

Mustapha00

OK see that was confusing. The logical conclusion is that Inno intends for people to get plundered sometimes, not that Inno believes it is possible to defend against a higher age player...

I don't think- although it is possible I guess- that I ever called for Plundering to be eliminated from the game. If I ever said that, be assured that I no longer feel that way. It is an Inno-approved facet of the game, obviously, and they've made it rather clear that any proposal to elminate it or even to change it in any substantive way will not be entertained.

But where they went wrong, I think, is that they introduced a way by which Inno, at least, though one could deal with Plundering which, event have proven, is, if not totally ineffective, at least nearly so. If they go to all the trouble of coding a potential defense and introducing it as a feature in their game, why not take steps to make it a viable portion of the game rather than merely the afterthought, at best, it has become?

Making military defense a viable option would require either very significant bumps to purely Defensive GBs (such as Deal of Basil) or allowing the defensive bonus of Military GBs (such as Zeus, Aachen and del Monte) to be added to your city defense percentage total) or a revamp of the hood assembly algorithm to group players together more closely by Age and prevent spans for 3, 4, 5 or even more Ages from occurring in the same hood. I suspect which one would be easier (by far), though I suspect I know which would would prove to be the better solution. I just wonder if Inno will do anything, easy or difficult.

DeletedUser9433

Making military defense a viable option would require either very significant bumps to purely Defensive GBs (such as Deal of Basil) or allowing the defensive bonus of Military GBs (such as Zeus, Aachen and del Monte) to be added to your city defense percentage total) or a revamp of the hood assembly algorithm to group players together more closely by Age and prevent spans for 3, 4, 5 or even more Ages from occurring in the same hood. I suspect which one would be easier (by far), though I suspect I know which would would prove to be the better solution. I just wonder if Inno will do anything, easy or difficult.
I would be fine with those changes if defending troops died in battle as well. You fail to mention the loss of troops as a negative for the attacker whereupon more diamonds are spent by some for healing.

DeletedUser26480

I haven't seen such an age disparity problem in neighborhoods, but I only play in a couple of worlds, so I don't have a huge experience pool to draw from. One of my cities is in a neighborhood where there used to be a huge gap between the oldest and newest players, but most of the top players were kind, or simply not interested in plundering.

I'm a bit mystified as to why people do this, anyway. The game just doesn't give especially big rewards for plundering people several ages below you. By the time you're in the High Middle Ages (at the latest), it's generally much easier to trade for whatever goods you need, and the gold and supplies from plundering won't be enough to make it worth your while. Unfortunately, the world does have its jerks.

People might be demanding a bit much from Inno. If they can improve the algorithm to place people in kinder, gentler neighborhoods, that's great, but the easier solution might just be to leave that world and start a new city. This is assuming, of course, that the player really is timing productions appropriately, and/or building up as strong a defense as they can.

DeletedUser10415

The game just doesn't give especially big rewards for plundering people several ages below you.

Lower age goods are of benefit to the plunderer's lower age guildmates and also of use for the plunderer's guild on the GE and GvG maps. Additionally, CA goods and up are unrefined goods for higher goods production, and therefore will always be of use.

Algona

The game just doesn't give especially big rewards for plundering people several ages below you.

Read up a bit in this thread. Some top notch players explain why they plunder.

Goods of any age are useful, if nothing else to help pay GE and GvG costs.

I can build a current age barracks to generate Trazlings and use the troops in GE, GvG, and PvP. Given a few breaks I can plunder Goods multiple times a day. Or I could build a Goods building and get one day's worth of production. Seems like I get a lot more mileage out of the Troops.

No, as a matter of fact I don't plunder.

DeletedUser14197

I was attacked alot by one player who plundered me once I believe. Don't think there was anything to plunder after that. I went to his city to see if there was a chance that I could attack and plunder him and found out he had nothing to plunder. He simply didn't build goods buildings, etc.... My assumption is, he didn't need to build them as he got all the goods he needed by plundering. After that, he simply didn't get them from me.

DeletedUser26154

When you have to make the game annoying by only doing 4 hours goods cause chances are you are goign to get plundered, so at least they might as well not get much, or when you finally just quit producing goods at all and limit your game play, I would say that in cases like these, the plunderig has ruined the game or seriously taken a big chunk of the fun out of it.
Very true. Some players are pretty bad with the lopsided plundering. It's a fact of life and of the game, with no way around it. I do understand where Honey and other's are coming from.

DeletedUser26480

So we're back to the basic principle: don't let your goods sit in your production buildings. This is probably easier to observe than it's ever been.

I have FoE on my mobile phone. In the course of a 5 minute break at work, I can collect all my productions, set new ones, spend FPs on a GB, then log out and get back on the job. I only run 4 or 8 hour productions, both for security and because I'm just impatient.

I don't see what's so annoying or difficult about this.

Edit: OK, if you have like 12 different cities, this might be a bit much. Maybe it's time to simplify your life a bit?

DeletedUser13838

I haven't seen such an age disparity problem in neighborhoods, but I only play in a couple of worlds, so I don't have a huge experience pool to draw from. One of my cities is in a neighborhood where there used to be a huge gap between the oldest and newest players, but most of the top players were kind, or simply not interested in plundering.
Most of the time I've been in reasonably balanced hoods. My current hood is almost entirely AF FE TE but new players frequently get added for a week or so until the next merge and they are moved to a more appropriate hood (hopefully). If this is their first experience with FOE it can't be all that great.

ViceroySr

I joined this game because of the ads of negotiating as an option. There is too much violence in this world and options need to be programmed as you are endorsing murders like gangsta rap. "Huasdrubaal Barkus" quest says to conquer or plunder with no abort nor alternative. REALLY??? I am stuck with this quest. So I quess I need to see if I can research "SAW" and his carnege??? Will I get extra medals for blood and guts? Just saying what you advertised and what you are delivering.

DeletedUser9433

I joined this game because of the ads of negotiating as an option. There is too much violence in this world and options need to be programmed as you are endorsing murders like gangsta rap. "Huasdrubaal Barkus" quest says to conquer or plunder with no abort nor alternative. REALLY??? I am stuck with this quest. So I quess I need to see if I can research "SAW" and his carnage??? Will I get extra medals for blood and guts? Just saying what you advertised and what you are delivering.
I've seen a lot of FOE ads but never one that stated anything about negotiating. Sure your mind sin't playing tricks on you? Plus not sure an adult playing an online game has anything to do with real world violence. You are being a bit too much PC here.

DeletedUser14197

So we're back to the basic principle: don't let your goods sit in your production buildings. This is probably easier to observe than it's ever been.

I have FoE on my mobile phone. In the course of a 5 minute break at work, I can collect all my productions, set new ones, spend FPs on a GB, then log out and get back on the job. I only run 4 or 8 hour productions, both for security and because I'm just impatient.

I don't see what's so annoying or difficult about this.

Edit: OK, if you have like 12 different cities, this might be a bit much. Maybe it's time to simplify your life a bit?

Not everyone has a phone they can do this on. I have a phone I should be able to do this on, but for some reason the game will not always come up, so it is fickle at best, certainly no guarantee that I can collect on time.

ViceroySr

Hi JennyButler: Thanks for the factful response. To be correct it was not a printed ad but a video that plays at the start for those that have not signed up with a young man and lady describing this alternative with great delight. It even might be the same lady as the one showing today upon logging in. So I presume you would not see it once a member. There is some negotiating here in this game but not requiring thinking just diamonds. As told in the movie "Tomorrowland", the wolf that grows is the one that is fed. Again thank you for feedback.

DeletedUser9433

Hi JennyButler: Thanks for the factful response. To be correct it was not a printed ad but a video that plays at the start for those that have not signed up with a young man and lady describing this alternative with great delight. It even might be the same lady as the one showing today upon logging in. So I presume you would not see it once a member. There is some negotiating here in this game but not requiring thinking just diamonds. As told in the movie "Tomorrowland", the wolf that grows is the one that is fed. Again thank you for feedback.
Actually a great movie reference however that proves my point. That movie is Sci-Fi, a fantasy if you will, just like this game. Are you worried about robots coming to tale you away as well? If not no need to be concerned over a war game being, well, a war game.

DeletedUser2800

I joined this game because of the ads of negotiating as an option. There is too much violence in this world and options need to be programmed as you are endorsing murders like gangsta rap. "Huasdrubaal Barkus" quest says to conquer or plunder with no abort nor alternative. REALLY??? I am stuck with this quest. So I quess I need to see if I can research "SAW" and his carnege??? Will I get extra medals for blood and guts? Just saying what you advertised and what you are delivering.

Too much violence? Are you serious? I haven't attacked another player in 2 1/2 years unless it was an extremely rare requirement to complete a quest and most (not all) of those have non-violent options to complete them. This is one of the most non-violent games I've ever had the pleasure of playing. If you pay attention to how you construct your city you can ignore both the missions and the PvP.
If anyone thinks I'm BSing take a look at this.
Untitled_zpszrhpdvhb.jpg

That's right I have an army of 3,968 units. 7 attached. 5 Rogues and 2 Champions. And 3,961 unattached Trazzies.
And how did I get nearly 4,000 unattached military units?
BECAUSE I NEVER FIGHT!!!
The only reason I have a Rogues Hideout and Champions retreat is so I have current age units to delete when I get those delete "X" current age units quests.
Yes I get a steady supply of diamonds from my Wishing Wells that I won, not bought, during special events. However I do occasionally buy diamonds once or twice a year.
So I'm sorry Viceroy your argument that this game is too violent based solely on a handful of rare combat quests you can't drop has holes in it you could drive a truck thru.

DeletedUser26480

Yes, this game is incredibly NON-violent, for one that portrays historical cultural and technological development.

Imagine if Alexander the Great, or the Mongol Empire, or Attila, or the Crusaders under Frederick Barbarossa conquered your real-life city, and all they could do was loot a liquor store at one of the strip malls. That is essentially how plundering works in this game.

In the real ancient world, it was very common for an invading army to demand surrender on pain of death. If the city didn't surrender and the invaders won, they would loot everything, rape and murder the inhabitants, burn down the city, and sell the survivors into slavery.

And when we get to modern times? Even worse! I like it very much that we have the Frauenkirche of Dresden as a Great Building in this game. Inno are too polite to mention it in their description of that building, but the real Frauenkirche was destroyed by the British and Americans when they firebombed Dresden on February 13, 1945. That single bombing raid killed about 25,000 people, nearly all of them non-combatants. You can read about it in Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse-Five. After Germany reunified, starting in 1994, the church was slowly rebuilt, using as much salvaged material from the ruins as possible.

Frankly, I'm glad this game doesn't need to celebrate or replicate how horrible people have been to each other. There is combat, but the combatants are the only ones who perish, and the consequences are not very grave.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser26131

One thing not to do when plundered is aid to that player. Sounds basic, but never aid a plunderer. That lack of aid is an opportunity cost, which usually at least amounts to the gold of a doubled house a day (which is a lot when look at it compared to lost troop costs). And it only costs you 20gold in opp cost and a BP chance(Big flippin deal). 20 gold to cost them 1-4-6-8K in gold? Sounds like good "passive" revenge. It also puts you further down the plunderers event list, which some people use to raid at times (not most but some) so it is possible to be forgotten about for days this way.

If a plunderer is reading a bunch of people in a hood , get everyone to not aid them. A total neighborhood embargo will hurt the biggest and baddest of plunderers, greatly.

Also if you can't stop a plunderer militarily , who attacks everyday, don't try , put troops up that are worth no points hardly. don't give them butt-holes nothing you can avoid, and hurt them indirectly such as the above.

The only time you want to "help" a plunderer, is watch their GB's and level them. :mad:

Your suggested options are for me a reason to keep plunder 24/7 :)
I did not read it yet but first I event view on incoming atks , I love those, they stay 7 days to get the first atk every day. 2nd is the other ppl on the towers they get atk 2nd even if they aid or not. Its just to make a statement.
Then I aid incoming ppl in the hood. Then I atk the rest.

And I'm not a die hard plunderer, I just need fps and goods and coins/supplies badly.

DeletedUser2800

SurLeBlanc said:
One thing not to do when plundered is aid to that player. Sounds basic, but never aid a plunderer. That lack of aid is an opportunity cost, which usually at least amounts to the gold of a doubled house a day (which is a lot when look at it compared to lost troop costs). And it only costs you 20gold in opp cost and a BP chance(Big flippin deal). 20 gold to cost them 1-4-6-8K in gold? Sounds like good "passive" revenge. It also puts you further down the plunderers event list, which some people use to raid at times (not most but some) so it is possible to be forgotten about for days this way.

If a plunderer is reading a bunch of people in a hood , get everyone to not aid them. A total neighborhood embargo will hurt the biggest and baddest of plunderers, greatly.

Also if you can't stop a plunderer militarily , who attacks everyday, don't try , put troops up that are worth no points hardly. don't give them butt-holes nothing you can avoid, and hurt them indirectly such as the above.

The only time you want to "help" a plunderer, is watch their GB's and level them. :mad:
Your suggested options are for me a reason to keep plunder 24/7 :)
I did not read it yet but first I event view on incoming atks , I love those, they stay 7 days to get the first atk every day. 2nd is the other ppl on the towers they get atk 2nd even if they aid or not. Its just to make a statement.
Then I aid incoming ppl in the hood. Then I atk the rest.

And I'm not a die hard plunderer, I just need fps and goods and coins/supplies badly.

Oh hey thanks for replying to that post. I totally missed it.

I'm not sure exactly how SureLeBlanc gets the idea that getting an aid boycott by your neighbors will stop or discourage a plunderer. It's not like a neighborhood boycott can stop a plunderers friends and guildmates from aiding him. I guess if he's a member of a small guild he might not get enough to aid all his stuff but even then who has a city so poorly designed that he can't live without aid from his neighbors.

Heck in my experience most plunderers target those that refuse to aid.