• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Proposal: Unit Recruitment Queue

DeletedUser36665

Hello,

I would like to raise a proposal for discussion:
I think it isn't fair that if I want my military units to replenish during the night,
I need to wake up every 3.5 hours to click Produce.
I would like the Produce button to be available for all the building slots at once,
And if I click produce when a unit is already in production,
the production request will go into a Queue and I will get a "Waiting..." indication.
Once the currently produced unit is complete,
the queued unit will start,
and so on.
What do you think?

Agent327

Why not the same for goods and productions?

You do know that you can also produce units during the day?

DeletedUser8428

Hello,

I would like to raise a proposal for discussion:
I think it isn't fair that if I want my military units to replenish during the night,
I need to wake up every 3.5 hours to click Produce.
I would like the Produce button to be available for all the building slots at once,
And if I click produce when a unit is already in production,
the production request will go into a Queue and I will get a "Waiting..." indication.
and so on.
What do you think?

I think I don't like it - although you say this "is not fair" ... it's immensely fair. ALL players are subject to the same game operation, this isn't something that exists in the game only for you. The game is challenging and you're forced to make choices about how you play. If you remove the decision making, this is no longer a game.

I'm a NO.
(edited for a spelling error)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser33179

Oh, come on... Unfair? Really???

A correct word would be "inconvenient".

Should the game be changed to make it convenient for you, having to log in only once to complete the entire series of tasks to produce all lost units? No.

Want three, 8-hour collections in a production building... Then log in 3 different times to collect & reset production.

Want two, 8-hour & one 4-hour collections from a goods building... Then log in 3 different times to collect & reset production.

Want four new military units produced... Then (you guessed it) log in 3 different times to collect & reset production.

DeletedUser36665

The difference is that in goods buildings or production buildings
I can pick how long I want the duration to be, and get more of the production in return.
So when I go to sleep, I set it to 8hrs and in the morning I've barely wasted time.
Why should it be different with units? And so inconvenient?

DeletedUser

This is hilarious! I'm the first one that likes the idea. This is going to damage my reputation as a naysayer and curmudgeon.

I have played a CD game that did exactly this. The difference was that the barracks in that game could produce an unlimited number of troops, but you were able to queue up as many as you could afford and they would train one after the other. If this was limited to troops from barracks and not extended to other productions, I don't see a problem with it. The only abuse I see is with GvG players being able to really load up on troops in a shorter period of time, but that is such a marginal part of the game for most right now that I don't see that as a problem. Besides, every other GvGer will be able to do the same thing, so...

DeletedUser8428

And there are no circumstances in FOE where production of anything can be 'queued'. I'm a definite that makes the game less and less of a challenge.

Agent327

I can pick how long I want the duration to be, and get more of the production in return.

Where can I set the duration of the production on 2 hrs?

Why should it be different with units?

Maybe because units do not have a fixed production time. If that is a problem for you, you can always recruit spearman.

Last edited:

DeletedUser33179

So when I go to sleep, I set it to 8hrs and in the morning I've barely wasted time.
Why should it be different with units? And so inconvenient?

The similarity between goods/production buildings & unit buildings is that for all of them you decide how many items you want made that day - for example 3 separate collections of the 8 hour supply item or 3 separate collections of a rogue. You get more supplies in total for the day by choosing the 3, 8-hour production as compared to choosing one 24-hour production - but at the cost of having to log into the game 3 times that day to do. I just think making military units should be consistent with making anything else in your city.

DeletedUser34800

Another new poster whining about the game being unfair and needing to be changed. What a shock.

RazorbackPirate

How do you account for the fact that you need to collect the completed unit before you can start recruiting the next one? If the collections queue up as well, I can see how this could make some of the 'Recruit x unit' Event Quests stupid easy. Just queue up the required number, run them days in advance, then collect when the Quest comes up.

DeletedUser

How do you account for the fact that you need to collect the completed unit before you can start recruiting the next one? If the collections queue up as well, I can see how this could make some of the 'Recruit x unit' Event Quests stupid easy. Just queue up the required number, run them days in advance, then collect when the Quest comes up.
This argument falls flat in the face of the fact that this is exactly how experienced gamers handle "Scout a Province" quests.
And there are no circumstances in FOE where production of anything can be 'queued'.
I would argue that tech research can, and frequently is, queued. I know that when I'm at the end of one era, I queue up the first column of techs in the next age to get a running start.
Maybe because units do not have a fixed production time.
Except that they do. It varies from age to age, but each particular unit has a fixed production time. And yes, it can be affected by guild level boosts, but production times can be affected by special items, too.

Another thought I just had, this would partially fix the problem of not knowing which unit goes with which barracks.

Last edited by a moderator:

RazorbackPirate

This argument falls flat in the face of the fact that this is exactly how experienced gamers handle "Scout a Province" quests.
Except it wasn't an argument. It was a question and a use case. I've yet to determine if I'm in favor of this or not. If we had it, I can see times I would use it, although my goal is to minimize or eliminate the use of barracks as much as possible.

And yes, that is exactly how I handle 'Scout a Province' quests and recruit unit quests. I scout in advance so I just need to visit the C-map for it to register, and whether recruiting from barracks or GE, I will have units ready to collect. Another reason why indicating which units belong to which barracks would be a benefit also.

RazorbackPirate

My bad. Your use of the phrase "stupid easy" made me think you were condemning this idea as an easy button.
They're already stupid easy as it is now. This would make them a lot quicker on the occasions I have to recruit using barracks if we were able to queue up multiple unit collections in a single building. I don't do GvG, which I suspect is dying anyway, so I'm not too concerned on potential negative effects there. I'm not sure how many GvG units come from barracks anyway. In the context of the rest of the game and the available tricks to complete quests, it seems a harmless enough add.

Agent327

How do you account for the fact that you need to collect the completed unit before you can start recruiting the next one?

She does not plan to collect. It's all automated.

and so on.

No collecting anymore.

My bad. Your use of the phrase "stupid easy" made me think you were condemning this idea as an easy button.

And it isn't an easy button?

DeletedUser

And it isn't an easy button?
In a sense it is, but for this particular proposal I don't consider it a disqualifying argument. I really see this as helping newer, lower era players much more than advanced ones. It isn't nearly as good as having a traz, but it would help those lower era players that don't have or can't yet get a Traz to deal with GE battles and DC challenges that seem to be increasingly geared towards players that have the Traz. Yet it doesn't bring a significant unbalancing effect, IMHO.