• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

PvP change/Tech Tree change

DeletedUser

In case no one noticed, since Inno didn't see fit to announce this, they have changed the rules on low level PvP. Now you have to unlock a tech that is late in the Iron Age tech tree in order to attack your neighbors or be attacked by them. There are players upset, and rightly so, that they did this in the middle of an event that has multiple quests requiring battles. I have looked at the tech tree in Iron Age, and it is now technically possible to get into the first part of EMA without unlocking the PvP tech, thus rendering yourself plunder-proof through the end of Iron Age. No word on what this means for the BA tower, since the only battles those players can now do is on the Continent Map.

This is another step in an alarming trend by Inno to make significant changes to the game without so much as whisper to the players about it. Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser31592

Well, I just saw the thread about Yorktown opening on Thursday. I assume this is the reason for the sudden change. Still maintain that it is a poor decision to do in the middle of an event and they need to either turn it back on for worlds A-X or auto complete the quests requiring battles or goods. (Because BA goods aren't able to be donated.)

DeletedUser31392

Agreed. This is a bad PR move and is upsetting a lot of players already. If the intent was to make it ready for the new World I am sure there is a way to activate the feature only on that world until the end of the event, and they activate it across all other worlds when the event is over.

Also releasing a new world with ~5 days left in the event? Can you say huge money grab/diamond reserve depletion? I'm sure that wasn't the intention of course.... =\

DeletedUser26965

It's certainly upsetting how they announce some things but with some other things they either don't say anything or sometimes, as it the case here, they put it snookered in with a Changelog. Ongoing Changelog w/c 9th October(I'm guessing a changelog will be announced on Live soon that will have it in there) It's good to pay close attention to Beta though I realize most don't and Inno should announce things. I wish they would announce more things in-game as well with a link to the forum announcement on it.

PvP fights tech - Copy.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser31592

I knew it was being tested in Beta. But Incidents were tested in Beta all the way back in June. They finally went live last week. So you can't really use Beta as an indicator for when things will go live.

I surely didn't expect it to go live during an event, locking all new players out of the event. This isn't even a matter of camping in my situation- the city is only 9 days old. 9 days is not an excessive amount of time to stay in an age, even the early ones.

DeletedUser26965

I knew it was being tested in Beta. But Incidents were tested in Beta all the way back in June. They finally went live last week. So you can't really use Beta as an indicator for when things will go live.

I surely didn't expect it to go live during an event, locking all new players out of the event. This isn't even a matter of camping in my situation- the city is only 9 days old. 9 days is not an excessive amount of time to stay in an age, even the early ones.
Sure you won't know when everything will go live but you'll know a change is coming and can at least have that in mind so you know anyway though yes like I said it's certainly preferable for Inno to announce things so everyone knows before the change occurs.

As to the event on current worlds there are four quests that have a battle condition and all of them have options so some players can't use the option unless they utilize GE or GvG or hurry to that tech, sucks and I think Inno should have waited to make this change after the event but not locked out really from doing those quests.

qaccy

Meanwhile, a lot of players couldn't care less about PvP so how impactful is this change really? There are plenty of provinces and sectors available on the map when you're at the point where you haven't yet unlocked that tech. I don't think this is a big deal as far as gameplay is concerned.

That being said, it is rather surprising that there wasn't a mention of this. It seems to be because it was never included in a full changelog over on beta, which are mostly just copy/pasted to the live servers. Again, though, let's not blow this out of proportion because it's not really a huge game-changer, at least as far as events are concerned. Unless there was a quest specifically asking you to attack players, in which case yeah, this would cause some problems.

Also, that's a pretty big 'technically' regarding being able to reach EMA without unlocking the tech. I don't think many players spend 600 diamonds to unlock multistory houses and that's the only way you'd be able to do so.

DeletedUser

Meanwhile, a lot of players couldn't care less about PvP so how impactful is this change really? There are plenty of provinces and sectors available on the map when you're at the point where you haven't yet unlocked that tech. I don't think this is a big deal as far as gameplay is concerned.
The point isn't what was done, it is when and how it was done. Nobody said it was a game changer. It is ridiculous to the extreme that they would activate this in the middle of an event, basically locking out most newer players from completing it. And to implement something this major without so much as a whisper on the live Forum or in-game is indefensible. You should not have to play on Beta or read the Beta Forum to find out about features that they put on the live servers. We're not talking about "knowing what's coming" here, we're talking about not having to find out by trying to attack someone and not being able to. I'm trying to think of better words than ridiculous and indefensible, but those seem to apply best in this situation. And remember, we still have had no official word on what the he** is going on with the partial rollout of Daily Challenges, other than some moderators saying simply to "be patient". RIDICULOUS AND INDEFENSIBLE.

DeletedUser26965

Again, though, let's not blow this out of proportion because it's not really a huge game-changer, at least as far as events are concerned. Unless there was a quest specifically asking you to attack players, in which case yeah, this would cause some problems.
There's four quests that have a battle option, three of the quests BA players would have to battle as the or condition is to donate goods. I can't see this negatively affecting too many players but for some it will. The scenario I can foresee is a player who is in BA and at the beginning of the Event planned on using PvP to fulfill those quests. Of course by that time they've already done some cmap as they played naturally so how much cmap is really available for them to do? Keeping in mind there's also cmap quests in the event as well. So removing PvP as an option to fulfill quests in the middle of the event when some players planned on it will affect those who thought otherwise which isn't really a nice thing to do. I think we all could have waited for the event to end for this change to occur and if that meant keeping Yorkton closed till then no biggie either. But if it is they wanted to open Yorkton in conjunction with this change while also in the middle of an Event well, then that's displeasing as well which is the essence of the post.

DeletedUser31592

The defeat enemy quests have the option to donate goods from your age.
BA goods cannot be donated to the Guild. It isn't even possible.
In BA, you cannot participate in GE, so no defeating the enemy there.
Now you cannot attack your neighbors.
That leaves the C-Map. 4 provinces, a total of 16 sectors. You are going to have a minimum of 3 sectors completed by following the mandatory guide in the beginning. Now that we are mid-event, some have had to acquire sectors, so the number of available sectors is going to be even less. Myself, I'm already ahead in the C-Map. So in order for me to use the C-Map to fulfill the questline, I have to fight IA troops with BA troops. I could probably eventually get through the quest I'm on, but the one requiring 5 wins in a row would be near impossible. Imagine if you won 4, then lost the 5th. You have to start over, going deeper into the C-Map. Pretty much impossible.

DeletedUser31592

Had I known the change was coming, I could have pushed and been done with the questline. I purposefully didn't rush things because I knew I had plenty of time. Had I known things were changing, I would have made sure to speed through in this world. If I had to guild hop 1-person guild to get those coins to buy FPs and get through faster, I would have. But I didn't know. So it sucks.

As I've said before- I don't even fight. The people I attacked to get past yesterday I didn't plunder. I hate when plundering is in a quest. It is not part of the game I enjoy. So, big picture, I couldn't care less that they made this change. It is the timing that has me angry. They need an alternative to the quests for BA players. As I said, I started the city 9 days ago, so it isn't like I've been camped there for an eternity. 9 days isn't excessive.

DeletedUser31592

Also, this has made Zeus obsolete as a BA GB. So another reason that turning fighting off altogether isn't smart. Turning plundering off would have been a better choice. People don't care if they are attacked- they don't even lose troops. People only get mad when they are plundered.
Having fighting on but plundering off would be good for new players. They wouldn't have to feel guilty for practicing fighting and also fear retaliation.

DeletedUser12620

I'm not surprised they would do this days before Yorkton comes out shame!

DeletedUser31392

I could probably eventually get through the quest I'm on, but the one requiring 5 wins in a row would be near impossible. Imagine if you won 4, then lost the 5th. You have to start over, going deeper into the C-Map. Pretty much impossible.

This is where I am at. 4/5, and only because I had Aided the hood yesterday thinking I had the ability to attack them today when the quest came up. Now I'm stuck. I have 1 sector battle I may be able to win, and activated the 24hr +30% attack Tavern Boost. Now I'm waiting on the last round of troops to produce, infiltrate the sector and hope I can pull off a win. 4 soldiers and 2 archers seemed like an easy enough win compared to the other sectors I have available.

Had I known this effect was going to take place I too would have not Aided yesterday and been able to finish up this morning, but not knowing this effect was taking place (and still no announcement almost 6 hours later), has caused me to potentially be stuck where I am st for finishing the Quest.

I wouldn't have been bothered spending all my goods on map completion and spending extra fp packs I had intended to save for my move up to Iron Age, if I had known a head of time I would not be able to finish it.

Doing this in the middle of an Event like this is really upsetting. Because of this, and the move made with the lack of Inno Staff reporting the Daily Challenges feature and that whole debacle, I doubt I will extra drop a dime on this game again.

DeletedUser26965

Also, this has made Zeus obsolete as a BA GB. So another reason that turning fighting off altogether isn't smart. Turning plundering off would have been a better choice. People don't care if they are attacked- they don't even lose troops. People only get mad when they are plundered.
Having fighting on but plundering off would be good for new players. They wouldn't have to feel guilty for practicing fighting and also fear retaliation.
We never did get an explanation for the change as to why they are doing it. We assumed it was to give new players some time to get used to the game battlewise before being suddenly hit by plunder but that's just an assumption. Here's my pet theory. Summer Event came and a bunch of new players got the Palace set. BOOM! They gettin' them palaces plundered daily:eek::mad: so they get mad, rage quit etc. So Inno hatched a plan, hmmm, what if we make it so players play for a while before they can get plundered, that way they've made some investment in the game and will be less likely to leave something they've already invested time and possible money in.;)

DeletedUser31392

I'm not surprised they would do this days before Yorkton comes out shame!

I'm sure the intent was to do so too. Though the release of the new world could have been postponed until next Thursday when the Event would have been finished, therefore eliminating the complaints we have been having this morning

=\

DeletedUser12620

I'm sure the intent was to do so too. Though the release of the new world could have been postponed until next Thursday when the Event would have been finished, therefore eliminating the complaints we have been having this morning

=\

Only makes it twice as hard possibly slower I like the challenge

DeletedUser31392

We never did get an explanation for the change as to why they are doing it. We assumed it was to give new players some time to get used to the game battlewise before being suddenly hit by plunder but that's just an assumption. Here's my pet theory. Summer Event came and a bunch of new players got the Palace set. BOOM! They gettin' them palaces plundered daily:eek::mad: so they get mad, rage quit etc. So Inno hatched a plan, hmmm, what if we make it so players play for a while before they can get plundered, that way they've made some investment in the game and will be less likely to leave something they've already invested time and possible money in.;)

I'm sure that was a lot of the thought process behind it as well. Could have done better to just deactivate Plundering until you unlock the require tech.

Not slowing players to fight except for some small amount of Cmap and the occasional GE when in IA does NOT help them learn how to use the battle feature properly, it limits their ability to try out different combinations of troops against differing opponents.

DeletedUser26965

I'm sure that was a lot of the thought process behind it as well. Could have done better to just deactivate Plundering until you unlock the require tech.

Not slowing players to fight except for some small amount of Cmap and the occasional GE when in IA does NOT help them learn how to use the battle feature properly, it limits their ability to try out different combinations of troops against differing opponents.
I agree. They should have simply disabled plundering. See that's why if they would announce such things on beta and what the purpose is good suggestions like yours could be made to them and they can consider changing it.

DeletedUser26965

Two players negatively affected just on this one post alone suggests to me this will negatively affect more players than I thought as most players don't even know about the forums.

As to the change as well another theory is this change goes to the concept of giving an incentive to players to advance. I can't recall either if Inno gave any reasoning as to why they want players to advance, guess they just got something against campers.