• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Question] Reasons for joining a Guild

• Thread starter DeletedUser28092
  • Start date

DeletedUser28092

I am looking over guilds, wondering if the logic I'm using is solid and what other things I might consider.

For instance, I want a guild which will require fair trading. I have no problem ignoring the incessant posts from the same player offering 200 lumber for 400 honey or 50 limestone for 100 granite, all I have to do is scroll past the 3 or 7 pages of posts from this person to get to the real trades... but because I don't want to be associated with a group which may actually be encouraging these Nigerian opportunities, no offense to the majority of Nigerian citizens ;-)

So, I am skipping all guilds which describe themselves as trade guilds. Besides, much of the fun challenge is finding the trades myself, sometimes frustrating, but always a calculating, forward-thinking budget side-quest.

I really think this feature of the game (the goods required for the map quests and research jobs, the goods buildings, and the trade market) is the heart of the game and it is what makes it fun for me, as well as the neighbor battles for the Tower competitions.

Will joining a guild force me to somehow obtain goods without being able to enjoy the challenge of obtaining them through my own efforts?
Will a guild require I give up goods on a regular basis, thus, probably forcing me to take goods as well?
Will a guild require that I be present for a high percentage of events, whatever those are, I dunno, but I might not have time for a lot of them...
Will a guild require that I give up forge points to help on great buildings (or anything else I don't know about) even when I'm trying to finish my own?
Will a guild require that I make goods I don't want to make?
Will a guild require that I use military buildings I don't want to use?
Will a guild require that I start cities in other worlds?

I also want a guild which is more than a few players.. this to ensure that it is a thriving group of gamers rather than a small group of people. Anonymity is a big part for me. I don't want to be required to be present all the time or to ruin my own private game, so applying for those high ranking guilds is something I'm bypassing as well, figuring I can be part of another guild moving up which might not be so demanding, while still being active with enough players to have frequent events.

Will a guild be anything else that I am unable to think of on my own here, and where might my thinking be incorrect?

Thanks in advance for your shared thoughts.

Algona

Yeah, you're missing a lot of other possible requirements, GvG and GE involvement, Guild oriented buildings like Observatory and HoF, manadatory Guild treasury donations, Aid requirements...

Note Well: These are some possible requirements, each Guild may have different requirements. Read their descriptions and talk to a few members to get an idea.

In my world there are approximately 2700 Guilds. Looks like 1000 or so are active. I suspect you can find a Guild that suits your wants.

Try posting in your world's Forum further down, there is a subforim for Guild Recruitment for that world.

Good luck.

DeletedUser26154

Will joining a guild force me to somehow obtain goods without being able to enjoy the challenge of obtaining them through my own efforts?
Will a guild require I give up goods on a regular basis, thus, probably forcing me to take goods as well?
Will a guild require that I be present for a high percentage of events, whatever those are, I dunno, but I might not have time for a lot of them...
Will a guild require that I give up forge points to help on great buildings (or anything else I don't know about) even when I'm trying to finish my own?

I would love if you sing that.

DeletedUser26965

Many guilds post on their profile what they expect of their members then they may also have more on their forum or let you know when you get in of other things expected. Every guild is different, some have a lot of requirements some have none. You can always just leave the guild if you find it not to your liking.

Never heard of anyone forcing people to get goods.
Some may require you donate goods to the treasury to cover the costs for unlocking GE levels that each members causes merely for being in the guild. Some may also require donation to the treasury for GvG costs. Neither of these include forcing you to take goods.
FoE is making more and more events as time goes on, you really don't want to miss them as they offer stuff you can't get otherwise. I've never heard of a guild forcing players to do events but stress the importance for doing them to get Hall of Fame, Observatory prints, Rogue Hideout etc..
https://en.wiki.forgeofempires.com/index.php?title=Events_and_Questlines
Some do but it's not very much, such as mine, don't forget the higher the level the guild the more free fp's you get from your town hall. With a level 57 guild you get 7 more fp's a day that you would not have gotten if not for the work of the guild so it's not too much of the guild to ask you put part of that back into investment into GB's that benefit the guild such as Observatory.
Never heard of anyone requiring that.
Will a guild be anything else that I am unable to think of on my own here
Yes, Algona mentioned some.

DeletedUser26549

Thank goodness this game allows so many options on how you'd like to run a guild. I think if you are looking for a guild, the very first thing you should ask yourself is:
Do I want to 'have a job'? Meaning, if you join a guild that is clearly very competitive in GE or GvG, you will have to either farm (donate goods to the Treasury), or Battle (Join in GvG or donate military troops to fill defense slots). Or some guilds will require that you MUST play at least so many levels in GE every week. Or that you have an Observatory (or other) great building.

Do you want to just play and not be required to do anything? (Non-gvg, ge guilds) That's fine too. Some guilds are laid back and just want to help on another with whatever anyone requests. Motivating, polishing help, goods if you can, forge point donations for gbs if you would. Everything being optional, nothing mandatory. Non-competitive, little to no rules. These guilds can be very relaxing, but you might get bored.

In other words, the very first questions that need to be asked are to yourself before thinking about joining a guild. Read the profiles very well, check the guilds profile. If you see that they have all gold trophies (1st place wins) in GE, and you don't like to do GE on a regular basis, you might not want to join that guild, because you will be pressured to participate.

I use to be a guild founder for a very competitive guild, and they are still going strong today. But everyone either fought, donated goods, or participated in GE every week, or all the above! Now I am a guild founder to a different kind of guild where no one has to do anything. My offline life is now too busy to devote time to any competitions.

Good luck in your searches! Lots of guilds to choose from out there! If you need a lot of help or support/friends, you might want to join a guild with a high population and a variety of ages. If you like fair trades only, ask the guild founder/leader if they have a fair trades only rule. :)
Just my opinion from past experiences as a player and as a guild Founder.

DeletedUser26549

Oh yeah, and if you don't have time to scroll through all the thousands of guilds out there, you can go into Global chat or post a thread in the forums and honestly list your wishes, and what you'd like in a guild. Be totally honest. If you don't like GE or to fight, say "looking for a guild that does not require GE or GvG participation". Whatever you like, or don't like, post it in there and you'll have people messaging you with offers to join their guild.

DeletedUser28092

Thank goodness this game allows so many options on how you'd like to run a guild. I think if you are looking for a guild, the very first thing you should ask yourself is:
Do I want to 'have a job'? Meaning, if you join a guild that is clearly very competitive in GE or GvG, you will have to either farm (donate goods to the Treasury), or Battle (Join in GvG or donate military troops to fill defense slots). Or some guilds will require that you MUST play at least so many levels in GE every week. Or that you have an Observatory (or other) great building.

Thank you for the information. I understand what GvG is, well.. that it is guild vs.guild battles, something to do with the map world, gaining and holding territory. Not sure what GE is, I believe is short for Guild Expeditions, but not sure what they are. Both sound fun, hope they can be fun without having to give up too much of my private game. I'll read up on the guilds available.

Again, thanks for the input, good food for thought.

DeletedUser28092

Yeah, you're missing a lot of other possible requirements, GvG and GE involvement, Guild oriented buildings like Observatory and HoF, manadatory Guild treasury donations, Aid requirements...

Note Well: These are some possible requirements, each Guild may have different requirements. Read their descriptions and talk to a few members to get an idea.

In my world there are approximately 2700 Guilds. Looks like 1000 or so are active. I suspect you can find a Guild that suits your wants.

Try posting in your world's Forum further down, there is a subforim for Guild Recruitment for that world.

Good luck.

I didn't realize there were different guilds for each world, lol. Argh, ok time to start looking them all over. Thank you for the information.

DeletedUser28092

Many guilds post on their profile what they expect of their members then they may also have more on their forum or let you know when you get in of other things expected. Every guild is different, some have a lot of requirements some have none. You can always just leave the guild if you find it not to your liking.

Never heard of anyone forcing people to get goods.

Some may require you donate goods to the treasury to cover the costs for unlocking GE levels that each members causes merely for being in the guild. Some may also require donation to the treasury for GvG costs. Neither of these include forcing you to take goods.

FoE is making more and more events as time goes on, you really don't want to miss them as they offer stuff you can't get otherwise. I've never heard of a guild forcing players to do events but stress the importance for doing them to get Hall of Fame, Observatory prints, Rogue Hideout etc..
https://en.wiki.forgeofempires.com/index.php?title=Events_and_Questlines

Some do but it's not very much, such as mine, don't forget the higher the level the guild the more free fp's you get from your town hall. With a level 57 guild you get 7 more fp's a day that you would not have gotten if not for the work of the guild so it's not too much of the guild to ask you put part of that back into investment into GB's that benefit the guild such as Observatory.

Yes, Algona mentioned some.

I would just clarify that by the term "forcing" to take goods, I meant that, if I have to donate them, especially at a time when 10 Alabaster can be a hardship, lol, then the end result may force me to request help on goods. Of course, there may be a ratio scale used for low end players vs. high end.

I want more out of the game but I don't want to give up my private little world while joining events with other people sometimes. This has given me a pretty good idea of what to expect. I think I'll give it a try and see how much I have to give up vs what I gain personally out of it. As long as my private game isn't changed by it, all should be good.

Thank you very much for y our information and links.

DeletedUser27889

I think you'll find that the benefits greatly excede the demand, at least they should in a good guild.

Your trade avenues open up and so long as you are trading with a guild member, no FP is required. So even if FPs to Observatories or something of the like is required, you'll still be making out.

The expeditions have a plethora of personal rewards as well to help your private game as you say. You help raise the guild but you also help yourself and they're fun. The best part about GE is that though you are working together as a team you're doing so individually. Think a continent map that counts for the guild. So if you have a demanding job, keep odd hours or just can't make a schedule to meet up with guild people it doesn't matter, you do your GE in your own time.

Donations to the treasury may be a requirement or may be just strongly encouraged. That being said I haven't seen a guild that demands someone donate unboosted goods they are very low in stock of and need for their game.

You'll want to look for guilds who have FP swap threads because that does wonders for your game incase you're currently leveling your GBs by yourself. You give what you get FP wise and this way you also rake in medals (used for expansions) BPs and if you do well enough, FP packs.

Also stix to brix is a huge help and while you will most likely be giving far more often than you would need to receive, getting your new GB up and running in 1/3rd of the time is a huge positive, plus you're helping your teammates.

Finding the right guild can actually really propel your private game.

The one bit of advice I would give you is if you find yourself in the wrong guild, don't stay. Don't feel bad about leaving or that this guild deserves your super loyalty at the demise of your own game be it from them demanding too much, or them being too relaxed for your game style. If it's not a good fit it's not a good fit.

What world do you play in? People may be able to give you suggestions.

DeletedUser28092

I think you'll find that the benefits greatly excede the demand, at least they should in a good guild.

Your trade avenues open up and so long as you are trading with a guild member, no FP is required. So even if FPs to Observatories or something of the like is required, you'll still be making out.

The expeditions have a plethora of personal rewards as well to help your private game as you say. You help raise the guild but you also help yourself and they're fun. The best part about GE is that though you are working together as a team you're doing so individually. Think a continent map that counts for the guild. So if you have a demanding job, keep odd hours or just can't make a schedule to meet up with guild people it doesn't matter, you do your GE in your own time.

Donations to the treasury may be a requirement or may be just strongly encouraged. That being said I haven't seen a guild that demands someone donate unboosted goods they are very low in stock of and need for their game.

You'll want to look for guilds who have FP swap threads because that does wonders for your game incase you're currently leveling your GBs by yourself. You give what you get FP wise and this way you also rake in medals (used for expansions) BPs and if you do well enough, FP packs.

Also stix to brix is a huge help and while you will most likely be giving far more often than you would need to receive, getting your new GB up and running in 1/3rd of the time is a huge positive, plus you're helping your teammates.

Finding the right guild can actually really propel your private game.

The one bit of advice I would give you is if you find yourself in the wrong guild, don't stay. Don't feel bad about leaving or that this guild deserves your super loyalty at the demise of your own game be it from them demanding too much, or them being too relaxed for your game style. If it's not a good fit it's not a good fit.

What world do you play in? People may be able to give you suggestions.

Thank you, very realistic summary you give as I have already joined a guild in one of my two cities, and from reading the messages I have gathered that giving goods is very very needed (but not often available, as with my game) thus, they keep track of what people give, but don't demand it. I am enjoying the challenge of forward planning and using the trade market for my goods, which I see will become exceptionally demanding very soon without better expansions, but GB will improve this effort. I feel the Tower of Babel is most important as it will provide half my population I currently have if maxed, opening much needed space for additional goods buildings.

However, I seriously do not want to trade with GB members only... because it would be ignoring the struggling players on my friends list and the neighbors whom I sometimes battle and sometimes aide.

I also have experienced the following: I put FP into a few GB off my friend list and most remain stagnant for long periods of time. On the ones which are just level 11 or 2 with only 60, 100 total FP needed, I found two which I wanted blue prints as well as medals. These to GB had also been stagnant with no further donations for a long time. So I went into those two GB and added more FP to lift my rank to obtain a blueprint, and, because I wanted the BP asap, I counted the FP needed to fnish, bought half of them with coins and waited for my next fill up to finish two GB. The next time I signed in, I got notification that both those unrelated GB's were suddenly finished, with someone else getting 1st place for the blueprint and larger medal count.

I can only assume that the players notfied their guild mates that a sucker off their friend list had added enough points to get close and they can be knocked out NOW hurry hurry...

That sucked. Bad form, I think. Anyways... I'll continue to try guilds for awhile.

DeletedUser28092

This has been most helpful and I have joined a guild on one of my cities. I was disappointed to discover that I have to join a different guild for each world. On my 2nd of two cities, I still am not in a guild. I made the mistake of applying for a guild after landing on one with the right balance of members, description and "feeling" but failed to make a written note of the name. Now, a brain fart has removed it from my memory.

No response yet.. how do I locate the guild to which I applied?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser28263

I think as you progress through the game what YOU want from a guild will change, and you may change guilds several times over the course of time. There is a FOE statistics site, and some guild founders actually check these when wannabe members apply to their guilds. I think these stats are misleading and give off a "Big Brother is Watching you" kinda vibe etc. I suppose they are mostly looking for spies or members of GVG nemeses. Anyway, back on track, so what looks to be demanding now may suit you just fine in the future, just some food for thought. Thx

DeletedUser26965

There is a FOE statistics site, and some guild founders actually check these when wannabe members apply to their guilds. I think these stats are misleading and give off a "Big Brother is Watching you" kinda vibe etc. I suppose they are mostly looking for spies or members of GVG nemeses.
I use them to check player activity, without them I'd end up inviting people who haven't been on in years, the game has nothing like that to assure I'm inviting active people. I also like to check my own progress, again something the game doesn't have. Actually there's a lot of things this game needs for guild/player management Guild Player Management/Tracking History System (under one window)

http://www.forge-db.com/us/

DeletedUser26154

I take tea leaves...
And ferret bones.
Toss them on the ground in a ring of smoldering candles.
Crouched low in warpaint and tribal garments.
Twigs in my hair and beard.
Under the pale moon light.
I read the signs in the stars.
I hear the whispered words of ancient prophets.
They tell me what guild to join.

download (1).jpg

I'm still in the same one I've been in since I started playing FoE and I'm pretty happy.