• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Revamp the foe (app) for mobile play -power consumption

• Thread starter DeletedUser40061
  • Start date

DeletedUser40061

i would love to see the app consume less resources on my tablet. I play foe mainly on device. The app size now is about 1GB more than any other app loaded myself. The app and game will continue to expand and grow each day, week and months to come

RazorbackPirate

i would love to see the app consume less resources on my tablet. I play foe mainly on device. The app size now is about 1GB more than any other app loaded myself. The app and game will continue to expand and grow each day, week and months to come
The issue with the size growth is the increasing number of building graphics constantly being added to the game. Upgradeable buildings are the worst. 11 new building graphics added for the Airship alone.

UBERhelp1

In terms of size, there isn't much you can do about that. It's kinda hard to store large amounts of graphics without taking up a lot of space. However, depending on the tablet you use, it may have expandable memory in the form of a SD or Micro SD card slot. You may be able to transfer the files to an SD card (not too expensive, maybe $15 for a 32GB one). It will run *slightly* slower, but you will have more space on your device. Alternatively, you could transfer pictures, videos, and other media to the SD card rather than the game if you want to keep the game on your device so that you can eject the SD card without affecting the game.

In terms of battery consumption, you can always turn down brightness, turn off Bluetooth, and reduce applications running in the background. Turn off animations; they take more processing to run.

It goes back to one of the more unfortunate aspects of technology: eventually you will have to upgrade to keep up; kind of the Red Queen theory, but tech rather than evolution.

[EDIT] I suppose that the only true optimization Inno could make would be to release a version of the game without any animations, limiting it just to the static graphics, but that would be a lot of work on their part for no gain whatsoever. If you are good at editing files and know what you are doing, then you could delete the files for animations you don't need or want. There is a chance that would invalidate the game, but it could be done. It is probably against game rules and the ToS, but it isn't impossible to do.

DeletedUser40061

My device is already set to power saving..despite it having 2 gigs of RAM...helpful tip of the day, dont invest in asus tablets...battery for handhelds is very poor. Cant handle most power hungry apps. Its an asus zenpad btw

planetofthehumans2

Certainly having the animations off by default could be something the devs change and helps with this issue and allow mobile players who want them to turn them back on. I was surprised since I have the animations off on my computer too. It would probably be unreasonable to ask them to have a version of the app without animations at all on the playstore.

And then after that you'd have to get rid of entire features for mobile like the auction house, gbg and settlements which update on your city in the background which would be against the rules....

DeletedUser40061

I must mention again the app is 1GB in size. In a fantasy scenario i want it to be downsized to under 400MB ..of course thats not going to happen. I will grin and bear it i guess.