• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Scrollable map suggestion

jugganot

When scrolling around my map, the scrolling stops around my town. How about rendering neighbor towns around my town and let users scroll to view other neighbors/guild/friend towns?

Johnny B. Goode

Umm...because neighbors/guild/friends are different for every player and constantly in flux? I mean, if you want to see their cities just go there. Apparently you think this would be a simple coding job. I'm no computer geek, but it seems that there would be a ton of details to make this idea work without completely slowing down the game. And for what? I've been playing for 6 years and have rarely bothered to look at someone else's cities. In fact, most of the times I have done it, it's because I was prompted to by something posted here on the Forum. Which means that at least half of the times I have looked at someone else's city, they have not been a neighbor/guild mate/friend. Just no. I know it seems like a cool idea to you, but it has no game value whatsoever.

CaptainKirk1234

When scrolling around my map, the scrolling stops around my town. How about rendering neighbor towns around my town and let users scroll to view other neighbors/guild/friend towns?
Inno has done this in some of there other games, and those are the cheap ones with bad graphics.

Cons:
1.My computer would probably crash.
2.Expensive and hard for coders
3.How would you know who it was next to you, where would it say there name?
4.How would you know if they are guildes, friends or neighbors?
5.How would they choose who was next to who, guildes all next to each other in a row by points?
Pro's
Just because (ex) player 1 is next to player 2, doesn't mean player 2 would be next to player 1 as all friends list's varies, everyone is in a different guild. I amagine it would take up all of Inno's server space to have a different map for every person, oops a other con.

In tribal wars 2 there is one big map, that works cause everyone sees that same map, it wouldn't be the case for FOE.
If this was a Idea I would give it a -1.

jugganot

Great thoughts but this was just a suggestion for a more engaging gaming experience. The neighboring towns could just be your guild members so there's always a fixed list of maps to render. And there could be an option in settings to disable this (like activate/deactivate animations) for folks with slow computers.

Algona

a more engaging gaming experience

I don't see how a random map that has no bearing on the game can be engaging in any way, just confusing.

What would you use this for that you can't already do in game?

How about rendering neighbor towns around my town and let users scroll to view other neighbors/guild/friend towns?

Functionality already exists to quickly visit a city. Finding a specific city would be a nightmare.

JBG answers this exactly right.

Just no. I know it seems like a cool idea to you, but it has no game value whatsoever.

This is not needed, not useful, confusing, an expense to INNO with no benefit.

UBERhelp1

This would be very demanding on players' internet connections and computers. There's no reason to have this.

Emberguard

This would be very demanding on players' internet connections and computers. There's no reason to have this.
I remember when I first started playing. My device at the time couldn't render cities from Future onwards due to having too many buildings to render. Got a better device now so it's fine. But I don't know if I'd be able to render multiple cities simultaneously or not.

It'd likely have to be done in such a way that those cities aren't loaded until you move the map and then it dumps the data regarding any city that's not in your current view. That way no more than one full city is being run at a time

Ebeondi Asi

The fact is every player has the exact same basic background. If one could scroll they woud seem to be bumping back into the same place, just a different city built on the same layout The fact one can just click on anyone's image and bounce to see their unique city is far better, and is available now.

Johnny B. Goode

It'd likely have to be done in such a way that those cities aren't loaded until you move the map and then it dumps the data regarding any city that's not in your current view. That way no more than one full city is being run at a time
Which would mean that it wouldn't really be any faster than the current method of seeing another city.

Emberguard

Great point, and no one would want that cause then it wouldn't really be like seeing a map with everyones city.
Why not? If you have to move the camera to see neighbouring cities then it's irrelevant to have the cities pre-loaded prior to scrolling towards the outskirts of your city. 'Cause then you were never going to see those cities on the map until you move the camera anyway

CaptainKirk1234

Why not? If you have to move the camera to see neighbouring cities then it's irrelevant to have the cities pre-loaded prior to scrolling towards the outskirts of your city. 'Cause then you were never going to see those cities on the map until you move the camera anyway
Well I would want to be able to zoom out and see all my neighbors, like how I would see other country's on a world map. Now to get to, lets say the end of my neighborhood, would I have to let each city load before I could reach it.