• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Sick of the Cliche’ of Heroic Women and Lackluster Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
The opening illustration of the 2022 Summer Event showing a confident, heroic woman striking a dramatic pose, backed up by a tired-looking, slovenly man leaning on a shovel, is offensive to me. Every time the game opens up with this illustration, it turns me off and makes me not want to play. I have been playing for 4 1/2 years, and it’s almost enough for me to just say “to heck with it” and quit completely.

I am all in favor of strong women, equal opportunities, and nondiscrimination. I married a strong, successsful woman and raised strong, independent daughters. But the current cultural fashion for denigrating manhood and manliness while celebrating strong women is out of control. It is demonstrably harmful to young men as they try to find their way to their mature identities. (Read “Manning Up” by Kay Hymowitz for details).

It has become absolutely cliche’ - every Disney and Pixar film and many other vehicles of popular culture push this image, and I am heartily sick and tired of it. It’s excessive to the point of offensiveness. You can get the message across more subtly without bludgeoning people over the head with it.

Sledgie

The opening illustration of the 2022 Summer Event showing a confident, heroic woman striking a dramatic pose, backed up by a tired-looking, slovenly man leaning on a shovel, is offensive to me. Every time the game opens up with this illustration, it turns me off and makes me not want to play. I have been playing for 4 1/2 years, and it’s almost enough for me to just say “to heck with it” and quit completely.

I am all in favor of strong women, equal opportunities, and nondiscrimination. I married a strong, successsful woman and raised strong, independent daughters. But the current cultural fashion for denigrating manhood and manliness while celebrating strong women is out of control. It is demonstrably harmful to young men as they try to find their way to their mature identities. (Read “Manning Up” by Kay Hymowitz for details).

It has become absolutely cliche’ - every Disney and Pixar film and many other vehicles of popular culture push this image, and I am heartily sick and tired of it. It’s excessive to the point of offensiveness. You can get the message across more subtly without bludgeoning people over the head with it.
The best guilds on my main all have women in influential leadership roles, so I don't think it is cliche at all, more an acknowledgement of the strength and success of women in this game. ;)

Graviton

People choose to be offended, it's not something that falls in your lap. If you're offended it's because you want to be.

Pericles the Lion

Thank you! I thought about posting similar thoughts, but couldn't take the thought of the White Knight crap.

I 100% agree. Not only is it historically inaccurate, it's stupid as well as offensive. While we're at it, let's include the recent trend of blackwashed Avatars. Could they be any darker? Woke BS to the max.
No surprise here. Your views on women's rights is well known. You have added a new wrinkle though with your aversion to "blackwashed Avatars". Sad.

Oh please, do quit.
People choose to be offended, it's not something that falls in your lap. If you're offended it's because you want to be.
Being offended (or any other feeling) isn’t a conscious choice. What you do with that feeling may be. In another thread you asked me why I was, “compelled to insult people who disagree with me.” You just did the same thing by belittle the feelings of those people who are offended by the male centric imagery put forth by Inno.

Johnny B. Goode

You just did the same thing by belittle the feelings of those people who are offended by the male centric imagery put forth by Inno.
Ummm. First of all, he was referring to the OP complaining about female centric imagery. Second, you're seeing insults where there are none. As per usual.

Graviton

If this were true, the English vocabulary would not include the adjective "offensive".

It's absolutely true.

Oh please, do quit.

Being offended (or any other feeling) isn’t a conscious choice. What you do with that feeling may be. In another thread you asked me why I was, “compelled to insult people who disagree with me.” You just did the same thing by belittle the feelings of those people who are offended by the male centric imagery put forth by Inno.

I simply stated that finding offense is a choice, which it is, and I told the OP to please follow his "threat" to quit the game. None of that is belittling. If I wanted to belittle people I'd insult their character and make up accusations about them.

Emberguard

It's a female captain getting her crew to do the work..... would you have preferred the female tired leaning over the shovel instead while the male holds the treasure?

RazorbackPirate

It's a female captain getting her crew to do the work..... would you have preferred the female tired leaning over the shovel instead while the male holds the treasure?
No. I would prefer there be no woman at all as would be historically accurate, or a a bar whench which would also be historically accurate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.