• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Sniping metaphor?

mintbunnies

I'm a week old FoE newbie and as much as I've tried to read up on guides and YouTube tutorials, I acknowledge there's still quite a lot I don't understand. So I've tried to conceptualize it with IRL metaphors, and this is what I've come up with regarding sniping:

• A sports shop has a special that the top 5 spenders (until they reach their goal of sales for the day) will win a prize. These prizes range from bikes, to shoes, to tennis balls, etc. They cost the sports shop nothing since they were a free sponsor donation (Nike? Adidas?). The sports shop posted a memo to their friends to let them know there's an ongoing special, but anyone off the street is still able to stop in and buy something. Some friends go down to the sports shop and do end up buying things. However before the rest manage to go down, a customer walks in off the street, drops a few bucks, and manages to earn one of the prizes. The friends are upset because they were told they could get a prize. But rules are rules and the customer manages to snag one of them. The sports shop can simply open their shop when internal sales can guarantee a prize to their friends but that will lose them possible sales in the meantime. Plus, there's always another day. (p.s. It's also considered bad etiquette to try for a prize against your own teammate (aka guildmate), possibly frowned upon but not against the rules)

What do you all think?

Last edited:

mintbunnies

Ah, I get that this forum is a gaming forum and much more competitive in nature than any other forums I've been on. I was only trying to start a conceptualized discussion and get some interaction in a new environment. But like most of the tart replies I read in other threads, most of the oldies aren't interested in things like that. Not the most welcoming environment for newbies in any case. I guess it's what differentiates a gaming forum with a hangout forum.

So strictly onto questions: when a guild description says "we are a fair trade guild" does this mean fair trade calculator or 1:1 and 2:1? I'm wondering if I'm missing the implied terminology here

DevaCat

Ah, I get that this forum is a gaming forum and much more competitive in nature than any other forums I've been on. I was only trying to start a conceptualized discussion and get some interaction in a new environment. But like most of the tart replies I read in other threads, most of the oldies aren't interested in things like that. Not the most welcoming environment for newbies in any case. I guess it's what differentiates a gaming forum with a hangout forum.

So strictly onto questions: when a guild description says "we are a fair trade guild" does this mean fair trade calculator or 1:1 and 2:1? I'm wondering if I'm missing the implied terminology here
You are too new to know what the "oldies" are interested in. Tart enough?

If you want to opine about sniping, have at it, but some of us would prefer that take place in one of an existing number of threads on that topic rather than starting yet another one here. Your call, but if you exhibit an attitude coming in you will likely be given attitude back.

Cured Meat

You can find a true Fair Trade calculator on a few websites. 1:1 in the same age, but than a true "fair" trade system is broken down by cost it takes to make the same amount of a Good between the different ages/eras. You will find though that a lot of guilds say "Fair Trade" as the 1:1 same age, and 1:2 / 2:1 for the age/era that is 1 above or below your current age, its just easier.

Sniping, since you're new, I'll assume you are in FP trade threads. Avoid those or embrace the sniping. Sniping is controllable if you do it right. A 1.8 or 1.9 thread, and self FP. Yes to everyone else, their are more details to follow to avoid sniping, but he can search the forums for that thread ;)

-Sebastian-

I'm a week old FoE newbie and as much as I've tried to read up on guides and YouTube tutorials, I acknowledge there's still quite a lot I don't understand. So I've tried to conceptualize it with IRL metaphors, and this is what I've come up with regarding sniping:

What do you all think?

I don't think the metaphor works well. I think sniping is more like an auction with 3 twists. First, the top 5 bidders all get prizes. Second, you don't have to bid more than the top bid, you just have to bid more than you've already bid. Third, there's a maximum amount that can be bid in the auction, by all bidders combined, and once that maximum is reached, no one can bid more.

The natural way it would fall out is that one person bids at 1/2 the max, someone else bids at 1/4, and 1/8, and 1/16, and 1/32. But sometimes (most of the time) the prizes aren't worth that much, and the auctioneer has to throw in some money to get anyone to bid at all. And sometimes the auctioneer makes an arrangement with certain bidders, who agree to bid higher than 1/2, 1/4, etc., and in return the auctioneer delays the opening of bidding until those bidders are ready to jump in, so that no one else gets a chance.

So if the auctioneer wants people to bid higher than 1/2, 1/4, etc., then they need to make arrangements with bidders first. And not open bidding before those bidders are ready. And definitely not throw money into the auction themselves. If they don't do those things, they shouldn't be surprised when other people only bid the minimum amount they have to.

Ericness

For the "oldies" out there, sniping is bidding a dollar on the Price is Right and walking away with a prize. Immensely satisfying to the winner, annoying as heck to the people they win over.

mintbunnies

You are too new to know what the "oldies" are interested in. Tart enough?

If you want to opine about sniping, have at it, but some of us would prefer that take place in one of an existing number of threads on that topic rather than starting yet another one here. Your call, but if you exhibit an attitude coming in you will likely be given attitude back.
Who said anything about opining about sniping?? I've been doing it myself and think this is the best part of the game! It's basically free points to the owner, and purposefully built into the system. And lol thanks for proving my point.

You can find a true Fair Trade calculator on a few websites. 1:1 in the same age, but than a true "fair" trade system is broken down by cost it takes to make the same amount of a Good between the different ages/eras. You will find though that a lot of guilds say "Fair Trade" as the 1:1 same age, and 1:2 / 2:1 for the age/era that is 1 above or below your current age, its just easier.

Sniping, since you're new, I'll assume you are in FP trade threads. Avoid those or embrace the sniping. Sniping is controllable if you do it right. A 1.8 or 1.9 thread, and self FP. Yes to everyone else, their are more details to follow to avoid sniping, but he can search the forums for that thread ;)
This is helpful, thanks! And actually no, I'm not in any guilds with trade threads. I'm currently hunting for a new guild that people will actually respond to questions and unlock level 2 of GE. I can't move yet because my 2 IRL friends who dragged me into the game are in that guild and we basically just trade back and forth tax free.

I don't think the metaphor works well. I think sniping is more like an auction with 3 twists. First, the top 5 bidders all get prizes. Second, you don't have to bid more than the top bid, you just have to bid more than you've already bid. Third, there's a maximum amount that can be bid in the auction, by all bidders combined, and once that maximum is reached, no one can bid more.

The natural way it would fall out is that one person bids at 1/2 the max, someone else bids at 1/4, and 1/8, and 1/16, and 1/32. But sometimes (most of the time) the prizes aren't worth that much, and the auctioneer has to throw in some money to get anyone to bid at all. And sometimes the auctioneer makes an arrangement with certain bidders, who agree to bid higher than 1/2, 1/4, etc., and in return the auctioneer delays the opening of bidding until those bidders are ready to jump in, so that no one else gets a chance.

So if the auctioneer wants people to bid higher than 1/2, 1/4, etc., then they need to make arrangements with bidders first. And not open bidding before those bidders are ready. And definitely not throw money into the auction themselves. If they don't do those things, they shouldn't be surprised when other people only bid the minimum amount they have to.
Oh, I like this a lot! I saw a lot of comparisons to monopoly, which have rules built into the system as part of a competitive game. But I think the monopoly metaphor doesn't work well because random people can't just jump into your game. So I tried to think of another board game that might be comparable to FoE but wasn't able to think of one where the players create their own rules and settings and someone else comes in and messes with their plan. But a silent auction is pretty much exactly the equivalent or an IRL bidding process so I should have thought of that first but I just like to make things complicated.

For the "oldies" out there, sniping is bidding a dollar on the Price is Right and walking away with a prize. Immensely satisfying to the winner, annoying as heck to the people they win over.
This is true but there's no personal attachment to outbidding your opponent. Still it's a long time proven strategy that statistically makes sense and people that don't do it are idiots. In fact I'd shout to the tv that they are idiots.

[/QUOTE]
I’m only about a month in and I happen to love sniping. It’s not just for ‘oldies’.
I'm not referring to only oldies sniping. My comment was directed at the forum in general who, as a gaming forum, are competitive by nature and not a warm-fuzzy-fluffy welcoming forum for idiot newbies. Most forums would reply with something like "Welcome to the forum! Let us know if you have any questions!" This place be like "Ugh, we're sick of this topic again, go post somewhere else." Which, hey, no hate, anyone that doesn't like it can join other forums. But this is not a place that gives off warm-fuzzy vibes.

Last edited:

DevaCat

Who said anything about opining about sniping?? I've been doing it myself and think this is the best part of the game! It's basically free points to the owner, and purposefully built into the system. And lol thanks for proving my point.
Your entire op was an opinion about sniping, dressed up with "metaphor" and "conceptualizing" to be sure. You asked: What do you all think? And I responded. Your ageist snark was/is unnecessary. I'm not sure what point of yours you think I have proved.

And as for trade, fair or not, a forum search would give you the answers you seek.

Edit: and because @mintbunnies chose to edit the post I responded to moments after I had posted this one (to make himself appear more reasonable?) I will clarify.

In your op you admit to being very new to the game, and confirm that there is a lot you still do not understand. The first response was a simple statement that it would be better to ask questions about things you don't understand. The second response was a simple agreement with that statement. You then responded by characterizing this forum as competitive, compared the two responses you'd gotten as "tart" like what you'd read elsewhere, state that "oldies" aren't interested in things like your "conceptualized discussion" and you call this a not welcoming place. Then you go off of your own original topic.

No one was tart. No one called you a newbie or was being unfriendly. You brought the tart and your assumptions to this thread. No, this is not a hangout forum; there is a section here that can be used for that if you want. I'm not going to be your teacher, but there are very good reasons why threads should try to stick to a single topic, why it's better to add your posts to an existing topic rather than start another on the same topic.

The welcome people receive is entirely up to how they present themselves when they come here. Warm-fuzzy-fluffy? [appropriate snark self-redacted]. Lol. I have not proved any point you may think you have made. I am not being unfriendly/unwelcoming. I am simply unimpressed.

Last edited:

mintbunnies

Your entire op was an opinion about sniping, dressed up with "metaphor" and "conceptualizing" to be sure. You asked: What do you all think? And I responded. Your ageist snark was/is unnecessary. I'm not sure what point of yours you think I have proved.

And as for trade, fair or not, a forum search would give you the answers you seek.
If you don't know, I can't help you sorry. And yes, I have done forum searches. Half are saying that a fair trade should take into consideration costs to build as well as supply and demand. The other half says 1:1 and 2:1 is the simplest and therefore the best method. The other third says there's no way you can trade 2:1 all the way down or up. The last quarter says fair trade is free trade. I'm just asking about the terminology.

Farfle the smelly

I don’t know how I messed up that quote code. Weird.

Anyway, my question: have you posted a thread in your world sub forum about looking for a new guild? I did and can recommend the process as it totally worked. What world are you on?

-Sebastian-

Sniping is one of my favorite parts, too. :) And, uh, welcome to the forum? ;-)

mintbunnies

I don’t know how I messed up that quote code. Weird.

Anyway, my question: have you posted a thread in your world sub forum about looking for a new guild? I did and can recommend the process as it totally worked. What world are you on?
I'm on C World, and no I haven't posted there yet. The C World subforum looked... dead? I've been browsing around looking at guilds but some have a lot of requirements and some don't have much of a description. Plus many say they want an arc or observatory or something. I have almost a full set of blueprints for the arc but a bit short on fp still. It's good advice tho, thanks!

Sniping is one of my favorite parts, too. :) And, uh, welcome to the forum? ;-)
Thanks! I'm sure I'll fit right in lol :D

Emberguard

Some auctions have a “buy now” price to skip the auction

Farfle the smelly

I'm on C World, and no I haven't posted there yet. The C World subforum looked... dead? I've been browsing around looking at guilds but some have a lot of requirements and some don't have much of a description. Plus many say they want an arc or observatory or something. I have almost a full set of blueprints for the arc but a bit short on fp still. It's good advice tho, thanks!

Thanks! I'm sure I'll fit right in lol :D
They all look pretty dead, even mine did, no worries. Folks still cruise by, I promise.

I had several reach out to me in game after seeing the post (it’s on the S world sub forum if you want to take a look!) to tell me about their more active guilds. It was perfect. Try it!

-Sebastian-

Some auctions have a “buy now” price to skip the auction

So do these... You know that browser glitch that sometimes causes double-posting, and double-adds of FPs? Because of that, I flipped a mid-high level AO, all by myself, for a bit over 3000 FP. :-/

Dominator - X

• A sports shop has a special that the top 5 spenders (until they reach their goal of sales for the day) will win a prize. These prizes range from bikes, to shoes, to tennis balls, etc. They cost the sports shop nothing since they were a free sponsor donation (Nike? Adidas?). The sports shop posted a memo to their friends to let them know there's an ongoing special, but anyone off the street is still able to stop in and buy something. Some friends go down to the sports shop and do end up buying things. However before the rest manage to go down, a customer walks in off the street, drops a few bucks, and manages to earn one of the prizes. The friends are upset because they were told they could get a prize. But rules are rules and the customer manages to snag one of them. The sports shop can simply open their shop when internal sales can guarantee a prize to their friends but that will lose them possible sales in the meantime. Plus, there's always another day. (p.s. It's also considered bad etiquette to try for a prize against your own teammate (aka guildmate), possibly frowned upon but not against the rules)

What do you all think?
Yeeeeaaaahhh.... NOOOOOO!!!!