• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Telling the difference between types of roads

DeletedUser10517

When I hover over a road, I do not get information telling me what type of road or path it is, and they are very difficult to tell apart.

I dont want to sell roads that I have paid for with diamonds........so is there an easy way to tell which they are?

DeletedUser8152

There's no easy way, but there is a way. Select the type of road you guess it is like you are going to build it. Then hover over the road in question. If it looks the same with or without the hover then you guessed right. If it changes then it's something else. It's pretty easy to tell if it changes.

Here's a proposal already submitted to fix it:
https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/showthread.php?7131-Road-hover-text

DeletedUser3679

When I hover over a road, I do not get information telling me what type of road or path it is, and they are very difficult to tell apart.
I dont want to sell roads that I have paid for with diamonds........so is there an easy way to tell which they are?

Here is a way - have someone with access to your city (friend, hoodie, or guildie) go to your city and hover their mouse over the road in question. They can tell you what info pops up. If there is some question about which road you are asking about, you can pick up and relocate one piece of the road before they hover over it.

DeletedUser17462

Any time I've tried deleting diamond roads I get a confirmation window. Also, it won't let me build new roads over the diamond ones whereas you can build new roads straight over basic ones.

DeletedUser8944

When I rearrange my city I usually delete all roads so I can have room to rearrange then update roads, or select your most current road if the road in question is out dated it will show green and you know you can update it

DeletedUser6172

Or drag the roadway over to an edge, so that you can see what you have.
The tricky problem is when you've used roadway to avoid small decorations, so it's a bit of a scavenger hunt.

DeletedUser10517

Thanks for the replies.
I really cant tell the difference between them very easily......they are so similar in appearance.

But I will try the other tips, thank you :))

Graviton

Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think the game will let you replace a bit of road with the same type, it will show red as if you were trying to place the road on a building. So just select the road you want and hover it over the road that's there, if it's green then you're upgrading.

DeletedUser8152

Does it still do the red/green thing? I haven't seen it in a while (on the browser version).

DeletedUser17462

Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think the game will let you replace a bit of road with the same type, it will show red as if you were trying to place the road on a building. So just select the road you want and hover it over the road that's there, if it's green then you're upgrading.
It also shows green if you're downgrading as long as it's not a diamond road you're trying to build over.

DeletedUser10517

Actually, on testing it just now, it only shows Green or Red AFTER you click to build it........which is too late by then.

It needs to show green or red prior to clicking the button.....or at least show you what the name of the road is.

You can see the name of everything else, why not roads?

DeletedUser20367

Actually, on testing it just now, it only shows Green or Red AFTER you click to build it........which is too late by then.

It needs to show green or red prior to clicking the button.....or at least show you what the name of the road is.

You can see the name of everything else, why not roads?

Strange, I just checked it and both higher & lower Age roads showed green when I clicked on them in the build menu and then held the mouse over an existing road. This was on the desktop version.

DeletedUser

Yeah, the buildings glow in one of three different colours when moving or building:

red - can't build or place
green - can build or place
blue - trading one building for another

DeletedUser10517

Strange, I just checked it and both higher & lower Age roads showed green when I clicked on them in the build menu and then held the mouse over an existing road. This was on the desktop version.
Double, Double checked it......

I opened the build menu, selected the road I want to build, and then hovered over existing roads.
No colour change whatsoever.

When I click on the existing road to build, it briefly turns green and starts building if I can build there.
It doesn't change colour when I can NOT build there.

Turning green AFTER clicking is too late.

DeletedUser9184

Double, Double checked it......

I opened the build menu, selected the road I want to build, and then hovered over existing roads.
No colour change whatsoever.

When I click on the existing road to build, it briefly turns green and starts building if I can build there.
It doesn't change colour when I can NOT build there.

Turning green AFTER clicking is too late.
Could I see a screenshot? I see the color very faintly on the border before placing.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser8152

Could I see a screenshot? I see the color very faint on the border before placing.
Yes, I see it too... very faint.
road.png

DeletedUser17462

Is that on the browser? When I do it on mobile the whole square changes color.

DeletedUser8152

That's the browser. For once maybe something is actually easier on mobile :)

DeletedUser10517

Ive double checked again and zooming in, I see nothing.

However, I fetched a magnifying glass, and using that, I can see a feint green border and when I try to place a road in the wrong place, it turns red.
The dots are so small I cannot see them without a magnifier, even with a screen as big as I have.

They look nice and clear on the screenshot above......and they are certainly not like that for me.

Would be simpler to just give the name of the road when hovering over it.