• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

The Rival Quest during Wildlife Event is wildly difficult and costs too many diamonds.

kernmantle

32 subtasks.
Many of them requiring an entirely new board. (ie, requesting red tiles popped on board with no red tiles).
Some of them requiring a condition that takes multiple boards to ever accomplish (ie, popping and collected 2 6-star chests, of a particular color, no less).
And the rewards for each subtask do not, generally, help progress significantly (ie, there shd have been many more Tickets as subtask prizes).
Oh, and the time limit to accomplish these 32 subtasks is ridiculously short (2-3 days).

TLDR: you cannot complete the Rival Quest without significant diamond expenditure to go through many boards for certain subtasks.
Looks like you'd need (at least) 10-20 extra boards, so: 2000-4000 diamonds! (Too rich for me.)

I'm disappointed in you, InnoGames. What were you thinking?!

xivarmy

I'm at 30/32 already on one world with no diamonds spent. I should have no problem finishing it by tomorrow night off regen.

It does require a good amount of tickets, but I put off doing the main questline until Rival showed up for this reason. 6 of my tickets are from that. So even if I had to diamond them that's only 1200, not 2000-4000.

And the rewards *do* help a lot - they've fed me the majority of tickets I've used for the questline along with a bunch of boosters that I mostly have not used up yet (i have used some to for instance hammer obstacles out of the way to get 3 6 star clears in one board)

Ironrooster

It does require a good amount of tickets, but I put off doing the main questline until Rival showed up for this reason. 6 of my tickets are from that.
I think that's the key. I didn't wait and since I am not spending diamonds on this event, I won't finish the Rivals line.
I'm at 14 done and may get a couple more.
But I think I will still get the event building to level 11 and probably the animal crossing upgrade as well.

Pericles the Lion

I'm playing Rival on two of my worlds. I'm at 19/32 on one and 21/32 on the other. No diamonds spent. I think that I'll be able to finish them without spending anything.

UBERhelp1

I completed it for free. Used a total of 19 tickets:
  • Started with 4
  • Mini Challenge gave me 10
  • Regenerated 1
  • Remaining 4 from Event Quests.
Honestly not bad at all. Just takes a little bit of prep and strategy and it's well worth it.

Kunsheng

32 subtasks.
Many of them requiring an entirely new board. (ie, requesting red tiles popped on board with no red tiles).
Some of them requiring a condition that takes multiple boards to ever accomplish (ie, popping and collected 2 6-star chests, of a particular color, no less).
And the rewards for each subtask do not, generally, help progress significantly (ie, there shd have been many more Tickets as subtask prizes).
Oh, and the time limit to accomplish these 32 subtasks is ridiculously short (2-3 days).

TLDR: you cannot complete the Rival Quest without significant diamond expenditure to go through many boards for certain subtasks.
Looks like you'd need (at least) 10-20 extra boards, so: 2000-4000 diamonds! (Too rich for me.)

Rival quests are side quests that are meant to be difficult and challenging. Most players won't be able to finish it without spending diamonds. But if you look at the quest lines and plan ahead, it is possible to finish it without spending.

jaymoney23456

32 subtasks.

Its a moronic questline designed with only one goal: get players to spend as much as possible! It is antithetical to actual gameplay, as you cannot play boards effeciently if you try to complete the rival tasks. This is especially true for getting paws, as you cannot go for paws and to complete rival tasks at the same time. There are certainly ways to make the rival quests a challenge without making them nonsensical. Even just repeating the first rival quests where you had to do a ton of productions would have been much better than this drivel. The rival questline belongs in the trash heap!!!

Wwwoodchuck

designed with only one goal: get players to spend as much as possible!
I will agree with the description of the design. After all, that is what the company goal is.

I had the chance to talk with someone who worked on games at a social event years ago. I do not remember their specific title, game designer or something. They did not do the coding; they were involved in the setup aspects. They seemed similar to a carney - A carnival worker. Their job is to design games to help part a user from their money and have the user feel they got the best of the deal. Someone spends $5.00 to ‘win’ a $0.50 Cupie Doll and walks away happy and willing to come back again tomorrow with their friends! And, many designers are extremely good at it. I am sure you could google many of the techniques, it is no secret.

I attempted the Rival on one world. I stopped at task 24. There was too much RNG involved, but I did get both buildings and that was enough of a goal for me. While I do not doubt that users can finish it in the given time for ‘free’, they are certainly in the minority. The game was designed to suck users in and once they get past a certain point, they feel it is worth spending – just a little - to finish.

“Drat, no Orange this game and only 4 more tasks left. I will try another one.. Rats… not this time either. I will buy ONE ticket, what are the chances Orange will be missing from three in a row? The odds are in my favor!” Once they are on the hook for one ticket, it is silly not to go for another as they are already invested in it at that point…

And, I am not judging or anything. It is fine however folks would like to play it. Even the folks who always claim to complete everything for free, even though the challenges are all based in Chance! No harm no foul - But we all know

Sharmon the Impaler

It's the same reason that they doubled the event length , more 1% this way for them as the people that invest 2 weeks in it are more likely to spend in the second two weeks.

xivarmy

And, I am not judging or anything. It is fine however folks would like to play it. Even the folks who always claim to complete everything for free, even though the challenges are all based in Chance! No harm no foul - But we all know
The chances are not that long of odds.

Yes in completing it for free I even had some cases of the dreaded "but there's no red on this board and i have to pop red tiles". But even if it happened to me 6 more times than it did (unlikely, but it could've happened) I still had enough quests to gather tickets from to get it done.

To specifically answer your earlier question, the chance after you've already not gotten red twice in a row to not get red again is still 1/5; i.e. 4/5 chance that 1 more ticket solves the problem. Just like it was the first time you didn't get red.

The overall chance that that happens to you though (3 1/5 bad lucks in a row) is 1/125. Which will happen to someone. But there's no reason to expect random chance to mean it'll never work out for you either. Or that needing to spend 2 or 3 extra tickets for 1 quest you got bad luck on makes the entire line "impossible" - particularly to someone with the foresight to save their quest tickets for when they needed them.

---

What actually most challenged my ability to complete it for free wasn't a matter of chance at all. It was the final task for quest 32: Use Extra Moves 4 Times. After the earlier extra moves requests I did actually wind up short on wildlife coins - and I think once I bought extra moves to finish a pop quest rather than risk needing extra ticket(s) to get my last 10 pops - wish i hadn't done that.

And need to do more quests than I wanted to to be able to afford that without diamonds. Which may impact whether I can finish the next 2 rivals for free as well.

Its a moronic questline designed with only one goal: get players to spend as much as possible! It is antithetical to actual gameplay, as you cannot play boards effeciently if you try to complete the rival tasks. This is especially true for getting paws, as you cannot go for paws and to complete rival tasks at the same time. There are certainly ways to make the rival quests a challenge without making them nonsensical. Even just repeating the first rival quests where you had to do a ton of productions would have been much better than this drivel. The rival questline belongs in the trash heap!!!

It is not antithetical at all - the best way to approach most of the quests is to (mostly) just play the board as normal. Need to pop 60 blue tiles? Well then you need to first get 60 blue tiles onto the board. How best to do that? Make big matches to get more tiles rather than chase down every little 2 blue tile matchup (unless it comes down close to the end and you just need those 2 more blue tiles).

You may need to specifically make a given color of match bigger to finish the 6* quests or to avoid making it too big to finish the 4* quests but those are relatively minor twists. All the boards I did for the sake of rival were still good boards for the sake of grand prize progress and league progress that i wouldn't have played particularly different without tasks telling me goals to accomplish.

Essentially all the rival quests for this one are asking you for is to play the game more.

Now the rival quest on beta right now for st pat's, that's a different animal - that asks you to specifically play the game wastefully :p

jaymoney23456

The chances are not that long of odds.

Yes in completing it for free I even had some cases of the dreaded "but there's no red on this board and i have to pop red tiles". But even if it happened to me 6 more times than it did (unlikely, but it could've happened) I still had enough quests to gather tickets from to get it done.

To specifically answer your earlier question, the chance after you've already not gotten red twice in a row to not get red again is still 1/5; i.e. 4/5 chance that 1 more ticket solves the problem. Just like it was the first time you didn't get red.

The overall chance that that happens to you though (3 1/5 bad lucks in a row) is 1/125. Which will happen to someone. But there's no reason to expect random chance to mean it'll never work out for you either. Or that needing to spend 2 or 3 extra tickets for 1 quest you got bad luck on makes the entire line "impossible" - particularly to someone with the foresight to save their quest tickets for when they needed them.

---

What actually most challenged my ability to complete it for free wasn't a matter of chance at all. It was the final task for quest 32: Use Extra Moves 4 Times. After the earlier extra moves requests I did actually wind up short on wildlife coins - and I think once I bought extra moves to finish a pop quest rather than risk needing extra ticket(s) to get my last 10 pops - wish i hadn't done that.

And need to do more quests than I wanted to to be able to afford that without diamonds. Which may impact whether I can finish the next 2 rivals for free as well.

It is not antithetical at all - the best way to approach most of the quests is to (mostly) just play the board as normal. Need to pop 60 blue tiles? Well then you need to first get 60 blue tiles onto the board. How best to do that? Make big matches to get more tiles rather than chase down every little 2 blue tile matchup (unless it comes down close to the end and you just need those 2 more blue tiles).

You may need to specifically make a given color of match bigger to finish the 6* quests or to avoid making it too big to finish the 4* quests but those are relatively minor twists. All the boards I did for the sake of rival were still good boards for the sake of grand prize progress and league progress that i wouldn't have played particularly different without tasks telling me goals to accomplish.

Essentially all the rival quests for this one are asking you for is to play the game more.

Now the rival quest on beta right now for st pat's, that's a different animal - that asks you to specifically play the game wastefully :p
YOu actually expect anyone to believe you can complete the rival questline by just playing the minigame normally? That is a bad joke! To make even past the first few quests you have to purposely ignore paws and play only to meet the specific conditions of the rival quest. Also, of course its a matter of chance as to how far you get in the rival questline since the arrangement of blocks and whether a certain color even appears is a matter of chance! Why do some try to come on the forums and claim that its easy or that luck isn't involved when its plain that is not the case? Those doing this just look foolish!!

xivarmy

YOu actually expect anyone to believe you can complete the rival questline by just playing the minigame normally? That is a bad joke! To make even past the first few quests you have to purposely ignore paws and play only to meet the specific conditions of the rival quest. Also, of course its a matter of chance as to how far you get in the rival questline since the arrangement of blocks and whether a certain color even appears is a matter of chance! Why do some try to come on the forums and claim that its easy or that luck isn't involved when its plain that is not the case? Those doing this just look foolish!!
Ignoring paws is also harmful to the quest objectives because they lock up the board if not removed. Paws are, if nothing else, obstacles to be removed (and I certainly didn't ignore them in completing the rival line - while apparently you *did* ignore them in *not* completing the line).

The best way to get large number of pops is to keep your board in good functioning order - avoid locking it up, drop paws out, and make big matches that come naturally when you play the game like that. The pop counts will happen. Just play the game well.

Yes it takes a significant number of tickets - which is where saving your quest completions until you need the tickets comes in if you're hoping to do 1 or more rival lines for free (I do doubt that all 3 rival lines for free is a reasonable goal without some strong luck/skill ; but 1/3 was easy enough; 2/3 should be reliably viable). Note that you do also *win* a bunch of tickets over the questline. There is no doubt that doing as much of the rival as you can while playing normally is good for your league and grand prize standing.

jaymoney23456

Ignoring paws is also harmful to the quest objectives because they lock up the board if not removed. Paws are, if nothing else, obstacles to be removed (and I certainly didn't ignore them in completing the rival line - while apparently you *did* ignore them in *not* completing the line).

The best way to get large number of pops is to keep your board in good functioning order - avoid locking it up, drop paws out, and make big matches that come naturally when you play the game like that. The pop counts will happen. Just play the game well.

Yes it takes a significant number of tickets - which is where saving your quest completions until you need the tickets comes in if you're hoping to do 1 or more rival lines for free (I do doubt that all 3 rival lines for free is a reasonable goal without some strong luck/skill ; but 1/3 was easy enough; 2/3 should be reliably viable). Note that you do also *win* a bunch of tickets over the questline. There is no doubt that doing as much of the rival as you can while playing normally is good for your league and grand prize standing.
Not easy in the least to complete the rival questline. Claiming that you can do it twice for free is laughable to most players.

planetofthehumans2

Are you going to be able to do the next 2 rivals though, because I'm already at task 27 (almost to the dailies). One freaking task required 3 tickets, couldn't pop enough on one board, wasn't the color on the next board, finished on the 3rd. Probably should have spent the coins extending the original board.

xivarmy

Are you going to be able to do the next 2 rivals though, because I'm already at task 27 (almost to the dailies). One freaking task required 3 tickets, couldn't pop enough on one board, wasn't the color on the next board, finished on the 3rd. Probably should have spent the coins extending the original board.
As acknowledged in the post you just quoted, I think some skill and luck will be needed to do all 3 rival lines. But that isn't necessarily a problem - if you don't *need* to do all 3 to complete the event. Which I haven't done the math on.

Dursland

Players who claim to finish the rival questline without using any diamonds are either extremely lucky or full of it. Most likely the latter imo lol
Yes UberNERD is most certainly 'full of it'. Here's a 'full' chart from him to help you prepare for Rivals 2 and 3. Good luck.

TipsLong.png

jaymoney23456

As acknowledged in the post you just quoted, I think some skill and luck will be needed to do all 3 rival lines. But that isn't necessarily a problem - if you don't *need* to do all 3 to complete the event. Which I haven't done the math on.
I would rather spend diamonds from the ones I win in the game to make sure I get the main flamingo building than play a super annoying rival questline! I don't like to spend my diamonds on annoying events like this one either lol I also don't care about the animal crossing upgrade-I can build unlimited autumn vineyards from the grape stompin festival and those give out more red attack than the gold level animal crossing and I refuse to place buildings primarily for city defense stats!

jaymoney23456

Yes UberNERD is most certainly 'full of it'. Here's a 'full' chart from him to help you prepare for Rivals 2 and 3. Good luck.

TipsLong.png
I could make up a chart too if I wanted to act like I was full of it. Doesn't prove anything and you can't make anything like this work if the board doesn't cooperate. Nice try though. Keep it up and maybe someone will give you a gold star!