• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Things to buy on from AD?

Lankybrit

Hi,

What things are worth buying from the Antiques vendor. I'm talking about mostly the 1 of several kits that come up. Like the things that get bonuses for being next to other buildings of that set. I never buy those because I'm not sure whether the others will come up on the AD, and whether the whole set is worth it.

What do you buy, and why?

Thanks.

WinnerGR

I like to buy BPs , special production buildings , renovation kits ,one ups and rogues.

And a quote from my guide that was approved by the guides editor , which was @UBERhelp1 , at the time :

When in buying in the AD make sure that you are going to keep it for a while .So an example of something that is not worth it is the palm tree or nutcracker which when available in the AD are a rip off and not long lasting due to the need to keep on changing the layout of your city. Some players make the mistake of buying these useless happiness tokens for quests .You should never buy happiness buildings or need them. Your city should provide that for you unless you rushed the tech tree and left your city undeveloped and messy. GB will provide all the happiness you need. Better to save your TC for other things Normal units,goods and FPs should only be bough if definitely needed and coins and supplies should never be bough in cities above LMA.

And please note that the guide team which wrote the guide has since been dissembled.

UBERhelp1

I tend to buy anything that I find useful. If I'm planning on moving up soon, that could be Renos or one-ups. If I see an Art Exhibition kit, I'm buying that for sure. I also like to get some sleighs. If you see something you want and can see yourself using or placing in the future, then buy it. In terms of sets, I generally don't need/want more pieces, but if that is what you are after, go for it! I would buy them more often, but just don't have the space to place them.

Things to never buy: Coins, supplies, BP, units. They aren't worth it at all. Additionally, don't buy things that will come up soon in events. For example, don't start buying cherry garden pieces right before the spring event if those are the DS you want to go after. You could always play the event, see what you need, and then buy them. For example, I saw someone paying over 50k for a carousel, when it will show up in the next event as a DS. Spend your TC on better things.

*Note, this answer can not be used without permission.

Jern2017

I tend to buy anything that I find useful. If I'm planning on moving up soon, that could be Renos or one-ups. If I see an Art Exhibition kit, I'm buying that for sure. I also like to get some sleighs. If you see something you want and can see yourself using or placing in the future, then buy it. In terms of sets, I generally don't need/want more pieces, but if that is what you are after, go for it! I would buy them more often, but just don't have the space to place them.

Things to never buy: Coins, supplies, BP, units. They aren't worth it at all. Additionally, don't buy things that will come up soon in events. For example, don't start buying cherry garden pieces right before the spring event if those are the DS you want to go after. You could always play the event, see what you need, and then buy them. For example, I saw someone paying over 50k for a carousel, when it will show up in the next event as a DS. Spend your TC on better things.

*Note, this answer can not be used without permission.

I agree. If you need to buy resources like units, goods or supplies from the AD, you're doing something wrong with your city and spending Trade Coins is not the right answer.

In my opinion, the only time buying such things is justified is on rare occasions where you want to quickly complete an event quest and for example, you buy a unit if the quest requires you to recruit them and you don't have time to wait to get them elsewhere. If this becomes a habit, it's a sign your city is not developed enough.

Algona

Rule of thumb, if it isn't markedly better then whatever it replaces, don;t bother buying it.

Use the AD to get the last upgrade or two for a good SB.*

Otherwise I'm not a fan of chasing most multi level SB upgrades, it takes too long to get the pieces to make building the SB worth while. By the time you've collected enough upgrades, the SB is prolly outdated by the SBs you won in the intervening Events.

No particular advice on particular SBs to buy, a lot of that is personal preference. Mine is Sleigh Builders. but I like overproducing Goods. Got a dozen in each city and looking for more. But that's just me.

UBER nailed it 1ups and RKs. Especially if you are not a camper.

*What's a good SB? Subjective, but something that is either a lot better then whatever it replaces or fills a well defined need your city.

I agree. If you need to buy resources like units, goods or supplies from the AD, you're doing something wrong with your city and spending Trade Coins is not the right answer.

One exception, a rare corner case. First few days in an Era, getting Troops that you haven't unlocked the Tech.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

Pretty much just buy Wishing Wells or fragments thereof. The only exception is if there is a building that provides attack or defense boost for attacking army, then I usually snap that up, too.

Ericness

Personally I will buy Sleigh Builder and Art Exhibition upgrades whenever they're on the shelf (had both yesterday!). I've also bid aggressively on Art Exhibition, Carousel, SoK upgrades, and Magnum Opus (to replace my SSWs, but not as much recently). I have a lot of patience for this game, but not enough to stockpile kits or upgrades for SBs I'm nowhere close to building in full.

What's best for your city of course may vary. I'm also oddly in the position of having plenty of gems but being short on coins, so perhaps I bid too much lol.