• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

troops to use in VF GbG?

FriarTuck

A couple of weeks ago I advanced to VF. When fighting in GbG I find the troops from the previous (Oceanic Future) era more effective than the ones from VF. Am I missing something? Just being stupid? Haven't learned to use the new troops? Advise please.

Pericles the Lion

A couple of weeks ago I advanced to VF. When fighting in GbG I find the troops from the previous (Oceanic Future) era more effective than the ones from VF. Am I missing something? Just being stupid? Haven't learned to use the new troops? Advise please.
I used 8 Eels when I was in VF.

FriarTuck

Yes. I use 8 eels if there is 1 or more atelery. If there is NO artillery I use 8 octopods. So will troops from VF ever become useful or should I just stop making them and make more eels?

Pericles the Lion

I got thru VF as fast as I could, about 3 weeks, so I didn't use VF troops at all. Eels worked fine for me in GBG where I mostly autobattle.

Ironrooster

I use 8 Ninjas for most GE and 8 Rocket Artillery for most GBG since they take usually take fewer hits. The best I have found for higher defender A/D is a usually a combo of 4 Ronin Bots and 4 Rocket Artillery. I find that 8 Ronin Bots don't work very well. I only use the Warrior Monks and Augmented Samurai, when I have them, for low level fights.

In my opinion, VF is the last good parking age for players, especially from a GBG perspective. Rockets are maybe the most OP same age troop in the game as there are no flyers in VF. If you have 10-12 sectors to rotate opponent troop combinations through and a nicely leveled Traz, you can manually fight as much attrition as you have time for. So far, my only regret in this game is leaving VF for the Space Ages, ok and also briefly building a Gaea during my “aesthetics matter“ phase.

FriarTuck

Please forgive my lack of gamespeak. What does "If you have 10-12 sectors to rotate opponent troop combinations through..." mean?

Tannerite2

I recently aged up to VF as well. 3 hovers and 5 rogues works well, but 4-6 rockets and the rest rogues works the best.

I have higher A/D than I did in FE, but the fighting is noticeably worse than FE was. I can't wait to get to SAAB which I have heard is the best age for GBG (unless you have higher age units in PE). I find it hard to believe that someone had a better experience with rockets in VF than they did with hovers in FE. Maybe they gained a lot of A/D buildings between FE and VF?

Please forgive my lack of gamespeak. What does "If you have 10-12 sectors to rotate opponent troop combinations through..." mean?
Having multiple sectors to choose from to find optimal matchups, especially eight Ronin Bots.

I recently aged up to VF as well. 3 hovers and 5 rogues works well, but 4-6 rockets and the rest rogues works the best.
The problem with Hovers or even OF troops against VF is neither takes advantage of your Orangery, if you have one.

I can't wait to get to SAAB which I have heard is the best age for GBG (unless you have higher age units in PE).
Can‘t say this was my experience. I could auto in VF to 105-110 attrition before switching to manual. I gained over 1000 combined Attack Attack/Defense between VF and SAAB and had to start manually battling around 80 attrition. I also swapped out troops a lot more at lower attrition in SAAB. Overall, it seemed about the same as the other space ages in which Keen Eye changes the approach to troop preference/configuration.

I find it hard to believe that someone had a better experience with rockets in VF than they did with hovers in FE. Maybe they gained a lot of A/D buildings between FE and VF?
I can’t speak to FE in terms of GBG as I was already beyond it when GBG started. However, given how great Hovers were in OF and AF, that caused me to use “maybe” in my assessment. Still, the Mortar capability allowed me on several occasions to just manually crawl to max attrition throughout slow days. It‘s hard to imagine that being achieved by many players with units that can only strike one troop at a time before they are overwhelmed by the astronomical boosts of high attrition defending armies.

Tannerite2

Having multiple sectors to choose from to find optimal matchups, especially eight Ronin Bots.

The problem with Hovers or even OF troops against VF is neither takes advantage of your Orangery, if you have one.

Can‘t say this was my experience. I could auto in VF to 105-110 attrition before switching to manual. I gained over 1000 combined Attack Attack/Defense between VF and SAAB and had to start manually battling around 80 attrition. I also swapped out troops a lot more at lower attrition in SAAB. Overall, it seemed about the same as the other space ages in which Keen Eye changes the approach to troop preference/configuration.

I can’t speak to FE in terms of GBG as I was already beyond it when GBG started. However, given how great Hovers were in OF and AF, that caused me to use “maybe” in my assessment. Still, the Mortar capability allowed me on several occasions to just manually crawl to max attrition throughout slow days. It‘s hard to imagine that being achieved by many players with units that can only strike one troop at a time before they are overwhelmed by the astronomical boosts of high attrition defending armies.
What units did you use in SAAB? I have heard great things about 4 nail storms + 4 rogues, but I won't be able to test it out until a week or so from now.

It sounds like your truly max out your attrition each day, so we've got slightly different priorities in GBG. Right now, I am most interested in how high I can fast fight as farming free fights is more important for me than fighting an extra 5-10 battles when I'm losing 6 units each fight. I was able to push my attrition in FE to over 100 with just 1100/700 A/D and fight fast at 55 attrition while in VF I struggle to fight fast past 40 attrition and haven't tested max attrition with 1400/800 A/D.

What units did you use in SAAB? I have heard great things about 4 nail storms + 4 rogues, but I won't be able to test it out until a week or so from now.

It sounds like your truly max out your attrition each day, so we've got slightly different priorities in GBG. Right now, I am most interested in how high I can fast fight as farming free fights is more important for me than fighting an extra 5-10 battles when I'm losing 6 units each fight. I was able to push my attrition in FE to over 100 with just 1100/700 A/D and fight fast at 55 attrition while in VF I struggle to fight fast past 40 attrition and haven't tested max attrition with 1400/800 A/D.
As Snake Queen alluded, it’s all about Nails in SAAB. I mostly went with 8 and exchanged a rogue for each Hammer on the Defense. The terrain is a bit dubious in SAAB where only about half your troops can reach the back line of the opposite side, and the Defense seems to have a harder time getting to your rogues early. This for me, caused a lot of swapping in the lower but non-zero attrition levels (especially noticeable when fast fighting). That being said, I did once go 35 fights at zero-attrition with no swapping (6 Nails and 2 Rogues), but that was with about 3000 combined Attack Boosts.

Lord Pest

I’m having great success in GBG using 6 nails and 2 rogues. But my att/def is 2007/1170, and an AO that gives a 40% chance at it’s bonus. I would suggest you experiment but it will be some combination of nails and rogues.

Tannerite2

Late reply, but I have found the most success with 4 nails/4 rogues so far. At high attrition, I use 8 belts vs the 6 belt armies to save on nails. My A/D is about 1500/800 and my AO is 30%.

VF is actually quite difficult to fight in as attrition in Battlegrounds rises. What works at low attrition, doesn't work as the attrition needle reaches your midway point, and matching up your army against the AI becomes difficult. Rocket Launchers are of course the go to unit, but you will lose these units more rapidly than any others.

The most difficult combination to fight against are Ninjas combined with RLs. For each Ninja, you need a rogue. And, a Warrior Monk is the best unit against the AI's Ninjas because the Ninjas can hide in forests, and Ninjas do not retaliate. Always include 1 Monk along with the Rogues in your armies. That's the simple part.
At higher attrition, RLs are less effective and more easily destroyed. Combinations of Ninjas, Ronin Bots, and Samurai should be experimented with and used to balance out your military units and not take too many losses to the precious RLs.
Ronins are a good all around unit because they are able to take a lot of damage, but RLs make short work of them.
Samurai retaliate multiple times, so they are great against Monks and other Samurai.
Ninjas are good against RLs, but if they can't find a forest to hide in, all the AI's units will attack them and wipe them out quickly. Again, no retaliation for Ninjas even against units attacking adjacent to them like the Monks and Samurai.
Warrior Monks work well against Ninjas and RLs, but are vulnerable to Ronins and Samurai.
And someone said there is no flying unit in VF. This is true, and the AI won't use one. But Gliders from OF are extremely effective against AI armies that use 4 or more RLs. Just don't forget to put in Rogues if those RLs have Ninjas to cover them.

I have been playing in VF for at least 6 months now, and I'm still learning the intricacies of fighting in VF.

Last edited:

spartacus2.0

VF is actually quite difficult to fight in as attrition in Battlegrounds rises. What works at low attrition, doesn't work as the attrition needle reaches your midway point, and matching up your army against the AI becomes difficult. Rocket Launchers are of course the go to unit, but you will lose these units more rapidly than any others.
Just get an Alcatraz and complete 64 GE encounters weekly