• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

useless attack boost?

• Thread starter DeletedUser28368
  • Start date

DeletedUser28368

I've notice something in battle: Ranged/artillary units get a +4 attack boost for attacking from high ground. Is this useful at all? Since ranged/artillery units take their turns late in the sequence, I always find an enemy in range by the time my ranged unit makes it's first move. Does it ever make sense to give up a first strike in order to position that unit on better terrain for a more damaging second shot? I don't think so. Thoughts?

DeletedUser8152

I've notice something in battle: Ranged/artillary units get a +4 attack boost for attacking from high ground. Is this useful at all? Since ranged/artillery units take their turns late in the sequence, I always find an enemy in range by the time my ranged unit makes it's first move. Does it ever make sense to give up a first strike in order to position that unit on better terrain for a more damaging second shot? I don't think so. Thoughts?
You can move and attack on the same turn, you know. So move onto the hills and attack from there.

DeletedUser26965

Frankly I think the map is too small/tight to offer too much of any movement strategy but no I don't think given the choice of moving and giving up first strike is the wise choice mainly because damaged units do less damage. But if you have the choice like jaelis said of moving to a terrain bonus while still having range and first strike then clearly that's a good choice.

DeletedUser28368

It seems that when I've tried to position myself before striking, I lose the attack arrow that I previously had, but I will try again. Move, then attack would be the obvious play.

DeletedUser25273

The arrow sometimes goes away, but you can still click on the unit you want to attack, and if they are in range you will attack theml

DeletedUser27889

The arrow sometimes goes away
Do you happen to know why this sometimes happens and why not? I see that there are movement costs involved in a piece but I can't seem to understand why sometimes if I take a troop and move it to a local it has a bonus which is not the outskirts of its movement ability, I can no longer attack and other times I still can. I'm sure there must be a method or reasoning I've yet to figure out about how many spaces you can move a piece and still be able to attack with said piece.

DeletedUser25273

I don't think that I have seen a case where after moving, and still being within range of attacking, I haven't been able to then attack.

I do most of my fighting on browser, as it does have additional feedback you can get with hovers.

It is quite easy if you don't carefully count, to start out able to attack, move to a terrain that you would like to be in, and then be outside of attack range and no longer able to get within attack range,

DeletedUser28368

I fought a couple of battles this morning. In one case, I moved a longbow about 3 spaces toward my target, in order to get to the rocks. After my move, the attack arrow disappeared, and I lost that strike. It never occurred to me to click on the enemy unit anyway, and see if I could get my shot off without the red arrow. Guess I'll try that next.

DeletedUser8152

The attack arrow shouldn't disappear after you move. It sounds like you're experiencing something wrong. Is this on browser or mobile? Any chance you could post a screen shot showing a ranged unit unable to attack a target that is within range?

DeletedUser25273

My experience is that a lot of unit will keep its turn as long as it has a hex it still has enough movement points to move into, or there is an enemy in range it is able to target. I also notice that at times, if my only options left are to attack, I sometimes don't get the arrows, but can still click on the unit to make the attack.

One thing to watch out for, is that rocks cost more to move onto than plains, so moving onto the rocks might have kept you out of range of the enemy. Did you verify that the rock WERE in range of the enemy?