• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Using rogues?

dtown20

I've been in HMA for a while and experimenting with combat strategies (bonuses are 64/50). Ranged units tend to work OK (with losses) but I can't figure out how to use rogues.

Do you just need more durable units (and higher bonuses) for the 6 or 7 rogue strats or am I missing something?

Algona

tl;dr Taking full advantage of Rogues mandates Traz + Roge Hideout, however even a handful of Rogues can be decisive in occasional fights.

You're in the tough area where you've gotten access to Rogues but don't have Traz. Traz + Rogue Hideout completely change fighting because Rogues work best when you can field an army of 1 unit such as 1 Knight or 1 Heavy Infantry and 7 Rogues.

You can get some good use out of a handful of Rogues, but realistically they will not markedly change your overall fighting capability until you add Traz.

The Rogues you have can be decisive in specific fights, but since you have a limited supply, you'll want to choose those fights to take maximum advantage of your Rogues.

Until you get Traz treat Rogues as if they were whatever other unit you are using in your attacking army, with three differences that you can use to your advantage.

1) The transform ability, soaking up a hit.

2) Untransformed HMA Rogues have good movement range and far and away do the most damage of any HMA unit.

3) Because the AI tries to attack Rogues first they can be used as bait to lure DA units into bad positions.

These traits combine in a lot fo neat ways.

Note that Rogues are tricky to use in armies of more then one unit type. Keep that in mind as yo put together your attacking army and whether you want to use Roques or not for that particular fight.

Happily with 2K fights under your belt, you should be able to understand the AI and the strengths and weaknesses of individual units, therefore be able to take advantage of the Rogues you have.

Good luck!

----------

Unsolicited advice, make of it what you will. You seem to have a good thing going, a lot of fights and good RP. You might consider hanging out in HMA ( a great camping Era for a lot of reasons) to build up your Arc, level your CoA and Zeus, get CdM and Traz. Which order you do those is dependent on your overall strategy.

The reason I give that advice? GE gets tougher each Era, building up your fighting capability now will serve you well in the long term as you advnce in Era. Again, good luck!

Just An Observer

EMA with Rogues for me: A bit over 130% attack bonus with two Rogues's Dens opened up fully. One Champion barracks with both slots opened. Supply of Rogues and Champions who are unattached: Double digits. Fighting style: Manual. The results: An occasional lost Rogue when facing two wave armies. Rotating out damaged units for fresh units keeps the attack going strong in GE up through Level 3.

What I do to save this sword from being dulled: Easier opposing forces face the 6 Catapult/Color Guard/Drummer army. A few Catapults and the occasional CG/Drummer fall. With 2 Governor's Villas, two Timeless Dojos and an Envoy making a unit in the Town Hall, combined with CG and Drummer barracks, I wind up with more units than I can ever use. Once again, Fighting is done manually.

Anyways, that is what works for me! YMMV.

Rabid1

Just use 2 units and 6 rogues and hit auto battle. When you get to the higher ages you can use 1 unit and 7 rogues.