• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Ways to run a Guild

Super Catanian

After a proposal came up asking to issue temporary Guild rights, my response got me thinking a bit. What are some ways to run a Guild? Forge of Empires is a game about, well, forging your empire. Real life "empires" have different forms of government, each with their own advantages and flaws.
A Guild is a place where many people come together to try to achieve a common goal (usually), meaning that there must be some sort of authority, or government, needed to keep it stable (most of the time, anyways). Since there are many forms of government, Guild Founders will have to choose wisely on how to run their Guild, in order to keep it's members happy and cooperating well.
Below will be a list of different forms of government, and how they can influence on a Guild. Obviously, this list is not complete, and I will need your help to add more to it and expand it. Furthermore, some governments might not be able to be reflected fully due to the "limitations" of a Guild. It's also worth considering that many of these are very similar to each other, and a Guild might not be able to reflect these differences fully.

Monarchy
This is a Guild in which one single player has the role of Founder. Everyone else has no rights. This Founder is responsible for every single major action that takes place in the Guild, such as unlocking new Difficulties for GE, placing Siege Armies, managing the Guild Forum, and more. This is a huge responsibility, and monarchs can have a pretty hard time dealing with it. The other members might not be happy with this placement of power, seeing as how they have no say in these things.
There's also a constitutional monarchy, meaning that there are written rules that even the Founder has to abide to. These laws have to be enforced, meaning that the Founder does not have truly absolute authority, but shares a small portion with someone else.

Oligarchy
This is similar to a monarchy, but involves multiple Founders that, together, have absolute power over the Guild. This can be a bit risky, as you must select your co-Founders wisely. Doing so lightens the load on yourself a bit, since now you have fellow Guild members to help you carry the Guild's activities. This can be similar to the Aristocracy that I will mention below, but there is a difference.
It is possible that a Founder might invite a friend of theirs to start playing FoE. As soon as that player unlocks Guilds and finally joins it, the Founder is thinking to themselves, "This person is a low level player. But, they are my friends IRL. Might as well give them Founders rights; I know that they're good people". And then they do so. This position of authority has nothing to with a player's wealth.
A variation of this oligarchy would be a triumvirate, with three individuals holding absolute power.

Aristocracy
In this Guild, power is distributed among the wealthiest of players, meaning players with larger, more advanced cities. These could even be determined by whoever contributes the most to the Guild's wealth (e.g., donating Goods to the Guild Treasury often). Wealthier ones will be Founders, less wealthy ones might have Leader rights, and the lowest players will be "peasants", with little to no rights. In my opinion, this is a pretty good way of running a Guild, since wealthy players have probably been around longer and know a lot about playing the game in the best way possible.

Meritocracy
In my opinion, this is one of the best ways to run a Guild. It divides power among those players that are worthy, meaning that they have proved themselves to the Founder. I'm talking about those who participate in the Guild Expedition often, or get involved often in the Guild matters. This shows that they are ready to take on more responsibilities. Those that are worthy of obtaining those rights will receive them by the Founder, according to their ability. It doesn't necessarily have to do with their wealth or with their relationship with the Founder.

Anarchy
Probably one of the worst ways to run a Guild. I, personally, have never seen it happen in real life so far. Basically, all members have Founder rights. Since they all have the same rights, there is no sense of authority, since anyone can do anything, and it ends up being chaos most of the time.

Stratocracy
This is a type of government that is "ruled" by military chiefs. This is not a dictatorship or any other form of government. It involved military positions being so wired into the government that they are treated as the same, legally speaking. This could be seen as a sort of meritocracy, since these governments typically have military generals (GvG fighters) as people with authority, and everything is determined by means of military power rather than wealth. This could be common in some GvG Guilds, as their military power allows them to hold sectors. Even some players in these Guilds have titles that correspond to their positions and responsibilities in the GvG Continent Map, and perhaps their rights are also involved as well.

Obviously, this list is still a work in process, and it will take a while for me to complete it. I am looking forward to your comments on things that I will add. Thanks! :)

Last edited:

Agent327

Looks like a school project

images

DeletedUser40495

Just curious - has anyone ever been involved in a democratic guild? You know, one where leaders are voted for? I doubt these exist, but if so I want to learn more about how they work.

DeletedUser

If I start a guild I almost always stay with the same structure. Almost. There have been a couple of exceptions. My preferred structure is myself as sole founder, with one to three members trusted enough to have leader rights. I don't bother with most of the other guild rights. Since opening GE levels can be done by any of the leaders I never use trusted rights for anyone. I don't give out inviter rights generally because I want new members vetted by leadership before joining. I usually don't give out rights to send guild-wide messages unless/until a member can be trusted to use it sparingly.

Algona

We've had a stable and successful triumvirate for almost four years.

My original Guild statred as a monarchy, the original founder when dying of cancer selected another to take his place. sam, didn't want to run the Guild on his own, he asked Cord and I to helo hin run it. We did so as cofounders, a triumvirate, discussing policy and rules amongst ourselves and implementing them. I was Master-At-Arms charged with managing the Guild on a day to day basis with full and sole power of judge, jury and executioner. It worked, over a couple years we grew to a top 50 Guild.

I got bored with running the Guild (the Peddling thingie was weighing on my mind) so we found a player to take over for me. fart took over for me almost two years ago, he's much better then I was at managing the Guild, we're now top 20 knocking on top 10.

We've always been a pretty relaxed Guild, both triumvirates felt that forcing folk to do stuff was not too much fun. Minimum Guild rules (Aid, styx, and be active), maximum individual freedom, you have to work real hard to get booted. We've developed a reputation on MK as a strong teaching Guild, our GvG team does fine, we consistently place in GEC with over 50% gold. A lot of folk over the years have joined up, been with us for a while, then wandered on. A lot of those have come back home over the last year bringing new experiences and stories and enriching us even further.

This infomercial brought to you by Dogstar Demons. We're pretty good.

DeletedUser40061

Just curious - has anyone ever been involved in a democratic guild? You know, one where leaders are voted for? I doubt these exist, but if so I want to learn more about how they work.

Thats a thought iam afraid of. There might be conflict of intrest btwn parties involved..spawning backlash..i hope our guild doesnt adapt that

Super Catanian

Thats a thought iam afraid of. There might be conflict of intrest btwn parties involved..spawning backlash..i hope our guild doesnt adapt that
Plus, the way that the Guild is designed does not format democracy well as it does the other types of government. If there were three Founders (for the executive, judiciary, and legislative branches of the U.S. government, for example), each one still has total control, and the Guild becomes an oligarchy instead. Each Founder can still do things individually without needing feedback from the other two. I think that's the closest we'll get to a democracy in FoE. This could be surpassed by there being a "constitution" that the Founders force themselves to abide to, with polls being held in the Guild Forum. That actually would be fun. Votes could be held every month (or every 4 Guild Expeditions), where the people decide who will be the new Founder. The previous Founder forces themselves to retire until they decide to run again. Kind of similar to the Russian Federation, TBH.

DeletedUser40061

Plus, the way that the Guild is designed does not format democracy well as it does the other types of government. If there were three Founders (for the executive, judiciary, and legislative branches of the U.S. government, for example), each one still has total control, and the Guild becomes an oligarchy instead. Each Founder can still do things individually without needing feedback from the other two. I think that's the closest we'll get to a democracy in FoE. This could be surpassed by there being a "constitution" that the Founders force themselves to abide to, with polls being held in the Guild Forum. That actually would be fun. Votes could be held every month (or every 4 Guild Expeditions), where the people decide who will be the new Founder. The previous Founder forces themselves to retire until they decide to run again. Kind of similar to the Russian Federation, TBH.

What im afraid of is, in a fantasy scenario, our guild's founder steps down due to health or other matter, and a new temp founder takes his place. rearranging the rules and make the rules sound more forceful...like you are required to log in on pc only. Or 5% of your coin and supply count would be reduced if dont fulfill at least 10 encounters in GE

DeletedUser33179

... Or 5% of your coin and supply count would be reduced if dont fulfill at least 10 encounters in GE

Literally the only people in the entire game who can take any item of yours whatsiever is a plunderer (who is limited to a current hoodie of yours) - and that's limited to 1 uncollected unmotivated building within 24 hours after attacking you. That's it.

Godly Luke

We are a guild in which everyone has trusted rights because our guild went through a schism in which our leader being more active and better than our old leader there was a falling out in other ways a bunch of problems and he and half the guild left creating WILDE so everyone gets trusted and some get others we are basicxaly a militaristic democracy

Super Catanian

I know this thread of mine has aged a bit, but after taking a dose of coke (Coca-Cola, I mean. What were you thinking?!), I thought of a highly unlikely scenario for a Guild government. Don't take it seriously; I am just writing it for fun.

Theocracy
This is a Guild run by one or more players who work directly with InnoGames themselves (some of us refer to the devs as the INNO gods anyways). These people would be able to gift their members with all sorts of things in-game (GB Goods and BPs, duplicates of CS Buildings, Diamonds), in exchange, for... worship?

1587157253125.png

Okay, who wrote this script? How would that even work? Mandatory FP contributions every day?!