• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

What is better, attack or defense bonus for GE?

I recently started 3 other cities with the goal of getting some wishing wells, As there are no wishing wells available for a while, I decided to get terracotta vineyard fields kits with the goal of fighting as much as possible of GE for the Diamonds in my new cities. I ended up with about 20 fields selection kits in each world so I could get 160% attack, 80+80 or some other combination.

What would be the best way to go for a new city in Iron age to be fighting in GE?

Emberguard

I'd go a even 50/50 split between the two, but it's also not my account. There's always a minimum of 1 damage per hit no matter how much defense you put up, but attack without defense is useless as then you'd be dead before you get to hit anything. That's why I prefer to keep the two stats even

Vger

I sort of agree with Emberguard, but I might be tempted to favor defense over attack. 60+100 or even 40+120?
Not because one is better than the other, but because defense is harder to get.
If you are going to fight in a DF, then you'll probably grind through Vikings for a lvl 9 ygg, right?. 30% atk is awesome. But no defense. So maybe balance it out where you can?

LadySansaStark

Agreed with Vger, 60+100 would be a decent way to start since attack defense is harder to come by and you will get the 30% attack boost from Yggdrasil if you do the Vikings settlement. 100% attack defense should be more than plenty in Iron Age and will help you get through the round 2's battles without much issue.

CaptainKirk1234

Agreed with Vger, 60+100 would be a decent way to start since attack defense is harder to come by and you will get the 30% attack boost from Yggdrasil if you do the Vikings settlement. 100% attack defense should be more than plenty in Iron Age and will help you get through the round 2's battles without much issue.
I disagree, higher attack is better.

Emberguard

since attack defense is harder to come by
It'll be interesting to see for how long that remains true for.

Just looking over the last year when a brand new building is introduced with both stats it usually has a higher Defense for attacking army then its Attack for attacking army. But there are also quite a few power houses for attack in the game and offered slightly more often.

Forge Bowl 2020: Main building: Olympic Treasury (Defense 10%-26%) + Daily Special 2019: Colossus (Attack 7%-15%)
St Paddy's 2020: Celtic Forest Set (Defense 6% + Attack 4%)
Spring 2020: Main building: No stat boost + Daily Special 2019: Fire Pagoda (Attack 6%-12%)
Archeology 2020: Main building: No stat boost + Daily Special 2019: Carousel (Attack 4%-8%%)
Soccer 2020: Main building: Hippodrome (Defense 8-17%) + Daily Special 2019: Altar Garden (Attack 3%-7%) or Winners Plaza Lvl 2 (Attack 5-13%)
Summer 2020: Governor's Villa (Attack 16-33%)
Fall 2020: Main building: Harvest Barn Set (Attack 12% Defense 8%) + Daily Special 2019: September Cottage (Attack 5-13%)
Halloween 2020: Main building: House of Horrors (Attack 6-14% Defense 6-14%) + Daily Special 2019: Abandoned Asylum (Attack 16-24%)
Winter 2020: Main Building: Winter Bakery Set (Attack 15% Defense 18%) + Daily Special 2019: Winter Train (Attack 10-22%)

Sheriff Of Rottingham

FYI..the next event is giving out a special building that boosts attacker defense, but no attacker attack. 14% IA, 28% SAAB

For me, it's all about the Attacker attack. They can't damage you if they're dead.

Kranyar the Mysterious

My take on it is that the Sentinel Outpost is so much better than anything else available that any other dedicated attack-defense buildings (like vineyard fields and train cars) should be considered only temporary buildings until you can replace them with level 2 outposts. Dedicated attack-defense buildings in sets (like the Ochre Yard) that are needed to boost other pieces are still worth their space.

In this case every vineyard field I put down was straight attack.

Joeyjojojo

Overall, attack is better: you have to hit them, but you will hopefully kill some of the units before they do any damage to you; this means that attack triggers more often. Age and army make a difference too--if you kill the opponent before taking damaging hits (retaliation from rogue hits and/or artillery pounding them before they can get w/in range), then def is useless.

Following @Emberguard and @Kranyar the Mysterious comments about def availability: it's getting easy to get lots of SO's. In another year I don't know if I'll want any more attacker defense just because of those, and I can see taking down things like Hippodrome and OT at some point.

Pumbaa the Great

I sort of agree with Emberguard, but I might be tempted to favor defense over attack. 60+100 or even 40+120?
Not because one is better than the other, but because defense is harder to get.
If you are going to fight in a DF, then you'll probably grind through Vikings for a lvl 9 ygg, right?. 30% atk is awesome. But no defense. So maybe balance it out where you can?
If your are aged enough (Colonial), than you go into Aztecs and get the level 9 Sun Temple. 30% Defense for Attacking Army.