• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

What is your favorite song

Mailia

Hmm, that's a tough one... i'm probably gonna kick myself later, but I'd have to go with either Party Poison - My Chemical Romance or Cherry (we're all gonna die) - Pinkshift as my favorite songs to listen to. And either So Tired - Crawlers or Boogeyman - Dead Posey as my favorite songs to play.

Mailia

Idk why but I get heavy Nookie vibes from Ænima... and in the other Tool songs the guitar lines sound like Limp Bizkit mixed with Rage Against The Machine and maybe a touch of Rob Zombie... lol, just me?

Last edited:

stymie of Suwannee

Idk why but I get heavy Nookie vibes from Ænima... and in the other Tool songs the guitar lines sound like Limp Bizkit mixed with Rage Against The Machine and maybe a touch of Rob Zombie... lol, just me?
I could give you some timelines as to why that sounds gooofy. Just you.

stymie of Suwannee

Tool is rich and textured, even when a simple statement. One song is merely a scratching, skipping record. Dumb at face value. Name: Useful Idiot. Know or study for a moment and, well, you decide.
As to the other conversation, to compare 3 albums from 92‘, 93’ & 96’ to an album from 97’ (sorry, i don’t consider their later albums good) is as silly as saying, “Boy, that Led Zeppelin sure is try to sound that Van Halen.“ Do consider the older demographic of this game and how some might not have been “the Man”, but many were there “back in the day”.
And as to aggressive metal in the 90s (and the musical godfather of Bimp Lizkit & Korn), give it up for Deftone’s Adrenaline. Still get me to throwin’ my (relatively) old elbows.

Mailia

As to the other conversation, to compare 3 albums from 92‘, 93’ & 96’ to an album from 97’ (sorry, i don’t consider their later albums good) is as silly as saying, “Boy, that Led Zeppelin sure is try to sound that Van Halen.“ Do consider the older demographic of this game and how some might not have been “the Man”, but many were there “back in the day”.
I never said that they were 'trying to sound' like LB... I said the amp settings they use just so happen to be similar to what LB uses. I honestly don't understand why you consider that a big deal?

Mailia

Hmm, that's a tough one... i'm probably gonna kick myself later, but I'd have to go with either Party Poison - My Chemical Romance or Cherry (we're all gonna die) - Pinkshift as my favorite songs to listen to. And either So Tired - Crawlers or Boogeyman - Dead Posey as my favorite songs to play.
I've been kicked... lol. Zombie - The Cranberries is another of my favorites to play because of the opening guitar and the voice lines. Back to Life - Holy Wars too... it sounds super hard to play so I always get looks (^ω^). And it would be wrong not to include Today - The Smashing Pumpkins and Bullet With Butterfly Wings - The Smashing Pumpkins

stymie of Suwannee

No big deal, just enjoyed Tool since then. And yeah, poor Cranberries lady. Both albums were great. If you still dig metal, go find some Kitty. Girl power punches to the face. But in time, me and metal parted ways with nothing striking my ear the same way. But born and raised in counter culture (and still love noise), we can discuss many eclectic genres from the world of an aged hipster doofus. I’ll start over, in mass. I’m all about old school and/or new school (was new sometime) or any given combination. Electronica/techno? Dig that Orbital, maybe some DJ Tiesto. Or a little acid jazz with a whole lot of Thievery Corporation! Or something like that, but not like anything else. Cosmo Sheldrake, nearly undefinable genius. Weird genius. Jam Bands? The Dead? The Greatful Dead? Yes, there’s a difference. Laugh at the name a moment and immediately go find some G Love and the Special Sauce (I know), particularly their first album. Or the Flaming Lips? I’m still sentimental about my metal, even silly stuff like Iron Maiden and when Metallica was just a cooler, American version of Iron Maiden (80s only please). But my aggressive nature has been placated for a few decades by punk, punk, PUNK!!! 1982 LA. Or Classic rock? Woodstock in detail? If Can Only Remember My Name was half my father’s advice. Sooooo yes, let’s talk music.

stymie of Suwannee

A missive on creativity or a thesis, if you will, on certain musics in comparison to other media, specifically, Ren & Stimpey. I use punk/metal/alternative music as my primary reference, but once said, it applies through any form of media. Again and again.
You (they, him, her, whatever, “you” as the artist) are born and raised in the environment that affects your life and art, like all of us. Particularly in counter culture and art of all sorts, the negative aspects of your life can lead towards the paths of creativity, positive and/or negative. Before fame and stardom, you hang with crappy people doing crappy drugs to go home to a crappy home and family. And you change all those difficulties into words. And all the skills and displaced anxieties give you the opportunity that few get. And when millions of your unmet peers share your generational relevance, your world changes.
Ninety nine percent plus of every golden moment of The Ren & Stimpey Show that you might love (if you don’t know, sorry, I’m an aged hipster doofus) happened in the first season. Shiny red button. The Littlest Giant. Ren the Mouse. First season. While not a notebook full of poems, they showed up with lots good ideas and years of them developing the ideas that made them a classic. And they exploded. Never mind the difficulties of life and lifestyle, worse, they want more. So the makers of R&S stood there and scratched their heads. You’ve scraped the corners of your lives, dumb childhood jokes, gross doodles through middle and high school, so much inspiration squeezed into that first season from every funny thing you can remember from your life. But you’re out of material. Now what do you do?
Nevermind that, you’re a rockstar. That first, maybe second, album was intense. Now you live in a rockstar’s house. You date who and how you want. You do rockstar drugs with other rockstars and other throughly questionable, untrustworthy people. But unfortunately, they want more. Maybe you are truly graced with long term talent, but talent is relative and they want more. Maybe you have plenty of material, but no one cares. Or no one cares for decades. And/or you die at 27.
Whether Robert Johnson, the true father of Rock n Roll, warning of the crossroads and dealing with the devil. Or Pink Floyd warning of the consequences of the industry til the consequences came for them. Or the flame that burns twice, burns only half as long. They all sing the same song.

Johnny B. Goode

A missive on creativity or a thesis, if you will, on certain musics in comparison to other media, specifically, Ren & Stimpey. I use punk/metal/alternative music as my primary reference, but once said, it applies through any form of media. Again and again.
You (they, him, her, whatever, “you” as the artist) are born and raised in the environment that affects your life and art, like all of us. Particularly in counter culture and art of all sorts, the negative aspects of your life can lead towards the paths of creativity, positive and/or negative. Before fame and stardom, you hang with crappy people doing crappy drugs to go home to a crappy home and family. And you change all those difficulties into words. And all the skills and displaced anxieties give you the opportunity that few get. And when millions of your unmet peers share your generational relevance, your world changes.
Ninety nine percent plus of every golden moment of The Ren & Stimpey Show that you might love (if you don’t know, sorry, I’m an aged hipster doofus) happened in the first season. Shiny red button. The Littlest Giant. Ren the Mouse. First season. While not a notebook full of poems, they showed up with lots good ideas and years of them developing the ideas that made them a classic. And they exploded. Never mind the difficulties of life and lifestyle, worse, they want more. So the makers of R&S stood there and scratched their heads. You’ve scraped the corners of your lives, dumb childhood jokes, gross doodles through middle and high school, so much inspiration squeezed into that first season from every funny thing you can remember from your life. But you’re out of material. Now what do you do?
Nevermind that, you’re a rockstar. That first, maybe second, album was intense. Now you live in a rockstar’s house. You date who and how you want. You do rockstar drugs with other rockstars and other throughly questionable, untrustworthy people. But unfortunately, they want more. Maybe you are truly graced with long term talent, but talent is relative and they want more. Maybe you have plenty of material, but no one cares. Or no one cares for decades. And/or you die at 27.
Whether Robert Johnson, the true father of Rock n Roll, warning of the crossroads and dealing with the devil. Or Pink Floyd warning of the consequences of the industry til the consequences came for them. Or the flame that burns twice, burns only half as long. They all sing the same song.
The only trouble with this theory is that there are countless singers/bands/authors/whatever that failed with multiple attempts before they actually got those "intense" albums/novels/whatever that become iconic. Sometimes they even change names and/or personnel (in the case of bands) before "getting there". And the same can be said of songs. I listen to XM radio a lot and have heard countless stories of songs that were done by at least one artist and sometimes several artists before actually becoming a "hit". Just take Bob Dylan. There were several songs that he wrote and recorded that barely made a ripple, but when done by another artist became huge. All Along the Watchtower. Blowin' In The Wind. Mr. Tambourine Man. Just to name a few.