• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

What is your favorite song

stymie of Suwannee

Sure, Dylan never really got his break. With lines like, “Mothers and Fathers throughout the land, don’t criticize what you can’t understand,…..”, it’s difficult to reference a true powerhouse of talent and raw creativity in whatever lane he chose. I can still find friends to argue about him going electric. It’s why I’m a fan of Lenny Kravitz. Not his music. The fact that he told the industry off cause he too knew not to sell his soul for Rock n Roll. Robert Johnson and all the kids that didn’t make told him so.

stymie of Suwannee

Standards, as they were, were, well, standard back in the day. Very few musicians were writing their own music and rarely owned any rights. And of course, Sublime covered Toots. Zeppelin and Danzig quoted Robert Johnson. But bigger picture, what call Xfiles-itis. All those singular, awesome stories that made that show frequently had little to do with the generalized plot. Then after those first couple seasons, Muellder dies, no wait, alive, yes aliens, no aliens, and anything else to keep the franchise going. Then apply to Lost, or any series in which they just run out of every conceivable trope to use. The musical equivalents are propping up an 11 month tour of Vegas doing Englburg Humperdinck and George Baccarat, cause no one wants to hear their classics.

Johnny B. Goode

Standards, as they were, were, well, standard back in the day. Very few musicians were writing their own music and rarely owned any rights.
The truth of this depends on which "back in the day" you're referring to. You would have to go back to at least the early 60s for this to even be mostly true.
But bigger picture, what call Xfiles-itis. All those singular, awesome stories that made that show frequently had little to do with the generalized plot. Then after those first couple seasons, Muellder dies, no wait, alive, yes aliens, no aliens, and anything else to keep the franchise going. Then apply to Lost, or any series in which they just run out of every conceivable trope to use.
Generally that's called "jumping the shark" after a Happy Days episode. And while it's true of some TV shows/movie franchises, it's more common for a show to either continue to churn out quality (minority of cases) or stop being produced (majority of cases). I like how many British TV shows have a beginning, middle and end planned out from the start, and stick with it.
The musical equivalents are propping up an 11 month tour of Vegas doing Englburg Humperdinck and George Baccarat, cause no one wants to hear their classics.
I figured out that you meant Engelbert Humperdink, but I have no idea who you mean by "George Baccarat". I think the musical equivalent is more like artists today that enjoy a little mild success and then stay "celebrities" without ever putting out anything else people want to hear. At least back in the 60s, one hit wonders had the decency to disappear. LOL

Interestingly, people still want to listen to music from the 70s and before, and even some of the 80s. But no one wants to hear anything from the 90s forward more than once. I think this is true because the singer/songwriter model became too prevalent. At least in the mid to late 60s into the 70s there were artists talented enough to combine both roles. Not so much anymore. Today's "artists" would be better off using the earlier model of songwriters providing the songs and singers/bands performing them.

stymie of Suwannee

Burt Baccarat, I think. Died recently and surprised to recognize a handful of his songs, which I promptly forgot. And Standards from 60s and back. Find em all the time. Heard a familiar Johnny Cash song, done by Bob Dylan later. Was 95% of Folk then. And plenty of counter points to my theory. Ministry’s first album sucked because he was trying to be the Cure. Until Land of….and A Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste did his creativity go overboard, where it needed to be.

PJS299

I love Eyes Without a Face - Billy Idol. And I regret saying this, but Harry Styles is growing on me.