• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

What Makes the Game Gamebreaking?

DeletedUser26965

We should define gamebreaking though first, perhaps as an aspect of the game that when utilized causes a major imbalance between players and/or gameplay and specifically to FoE as it pertains to PvP, GvG, Goods/Coins/Supplies/FP's/Medals/BP gain etc.

So let us hear your thoughts on the game breaking mechanics, tactics, strategies and how to fix them.

I'll start, get rid of buying diamonds, the ultimate equalizer.

DeletedUser29308

Here's one idea... Create a better system of filtering guilds when matching them up for the GE. For example factor in the average number of players according to their eras. It only stands to reason that a guild with a large number of later era players will defeat a guild with mostly lower age players providing everything else is equal.

DeletedUser26965

One can dream can't they? I played a subscription based game for years, loved it and was happy to pay. For the right price and some game changed I would pay a monthly for FoE.
Here's one idea... Create a better system of filtering guilds when matching them up for the GE. For example factor in the average number of players according to their eras. It only stands to reason that a guild with a large number of later era players will defeat a guild with mostly lower age players providing everything else is equal.
Not quite sure what you're saying, are you saying OF players all joining together in one guild would be game breaking?

DeletedUser29308

No I was suggesting that guilds be filtered based on the numbers of later era members vs lower era members. in terms of matching up guilds for the GE. Making the guild match ups more equal.

DeletedUser27889

These are just my opinions, obviously others will feel differently.

To me something is broken when it's addition causes previous things in the game to no longer fulfill their functions.

#1:
I love them, but rogues in PVP.
You attack with 7 rogues + 1 unit and you win. Pretty much regardless of what you're facing. It renders watchfires, defense GBs, special buildings and pretty much your entire defensive army useless.

#2.
The lack of AF/OF GvG (So all ages map) and their subsequent affect on the AF/OF goods in treasury. Breaking Obs Atom and the second purpose or Arc for AF/OF players.

#3.
Half Broken: Changes to ToR rewards/GE rewards. Players didn't build ToRs for dozens of 2x2 unchanging decos. The changes to GE and subsequently the already established ToR to me was one of the biggest slaps in the face of the game. They waited until players built them high, then changed the rewards in a definite down turn. I play in 2 worlds plus beta, while I built ToR in main prior to the change I will not construct it in any other. Not just because of much of what it provides now as being useless, but also knowing how they can/will change the rewards if they choose. I built it for the FPs which do still exist, but no longer are there SoKs or premium buildings. I consider ToR broken.

DeletedUser28670

The Arc.
Warping the game since November 2, 2015.
latest

Last edited by a moderator:

Sharif

It broke the game when they made the changes to fp packs. Now the only people who have them are those who hoarded many before the change or people with arcs. It makes it impossible to compete on GBs as you don't have the kind of fat stored up to lock down a winning position.

DeletedUser27849

No I was suggesting that guilds be filtered based on the numbers of later era members vs lower era members. in terms of matching up guilds for the GE. Making the guild match ups more equal.

The age of the members has no impact on the outcome of finishing in first for the expedition. It all depends on your completion rate of the encounters. A younger guild who will complete all the encounters can beat out others. You need to get your members involved in completing all the encounters. That is why most guilds have a minimum requirement to complete a certain amount of encounters.

DeletedUser27849

These are just my opinions, obviously others will feel differently.

#2.
The lack of AF/OF GvG (So all ages map) and their subsequent affect on the AF/OF goods in treasury. Breaking Obs Atom and the second purpose or Arc for AF/OF players.

#3.
Half Broken: Changes to ToR rewards/GE rewards. Players didn't build ToRs for dozens of 2x2 unchanging decos. The changes to GE and subsequently the already established ToR to me was one of the biggest slaps in the face of the game. They waited until players built them high, then changed the rewards in a definite down turn. I play in 2 worlds plus beta, while I built ToR in main prior to the change I will not construct it in any other. Not just because of much of what it provides now as being useless, but also knowing how they can/will change the rewards if they choose. I built it for the FPs which do still exist, but no longer are there SoKs or premium buildings. I consider ToR broken.

Completely agree with these 2, sorry about #1 but love my rogues to much...lol

I will add about GVG it is needs a complete overall

Freshmeboy

Not sure fp pack availability or rogues are broken...when I started it was difficult to get in high level GBs against established players so I had to donate into lower level GBs and build my forge point city over time..Its what I tell beginners who put fps in my GBs dreaming of large rewards...low and slow will help you build a reserve. As for the rogues they serve a threefold purpose: They save massive amounts of space that would need to be dedicated to military buildings, they save on coin and supplies required to build these troops and the time needed to train them. Most importantly, they allow a greater majority of players to compete in GE, which is great for guilds and the game.

DeletedUser26154

Warping the game since November 2, 2015.

Once your city progresses to the Future - Arctic Future - Oceanic Future.
You'll understand why The Arc is good to have in the game.
It's not only for the Forge Points.
It's for the Medals too, which are currency in the Top-era GvG maps.
The Arc's secondary function is a perpetual Medal Farm.

0836356e04f880a08e16e7c8dfae0581.png

You don't deal with the issues we do, when you are in the Middle Ages.

DeletedUser24787

game breaking every single complain in the forums

feel free to critique my comment o_O

qaccy

In terms of the definition outlined in the first post, gamebreaking is:

#1. Rogues. You can argue about it all you want, but the fact of the matter is that rogues are the most powerful unit in the game, hands-down. It's somewhat ironic that they're completely useless on their own, but you're still leagues ahead of anyone without them when it comes to PvP combat. That free first hit is invaluable and that's almost an understatement in itself. Inno could change this situation in an instant by merely switching all combat AI to match the continent map, but that would obviously be an extremely controversial change even if removing the prominence of rogues from combat may be better for the health of the game.

#2. Being able to level GBs past 10 can be gamebreaking in certain cases. Chief among them being:
#2a. The Arc has permanently changed everything related to increasing GB levels. Occasionally people complain that the Arc is 'useless' for people in AF and OF but the treasury bonus could be completely removed from this GB and it'd still be the most powerful GB in the game. FP flows like a waterfall for everyone who's taken the time to level one up, and it snowballs into being able to rapidly level up any other GB of the owner's choosing, though heavily dependent on how much the owner utilizes this bonus by reaping rewards from the GBs of others. I believe the developers tried to have some foresight* and curb the impact the Arc would have on the game, but it wasn't even nearly enough. This could also easily be remedied by changing the Arc's bonus, but that wouldn't undo the impact that it's already had on the game and, like with rogues, would be a very controversial change.

*The Arc is the only GB with a bonus that has 'breakpoints' at fixed levels (levels 58 and 80 both lower the amount you get per level past that point). Every other GB either gains the same amount for every level past 10 or it very gradually increases/decreases the further you go.

#2b. The Château Frontenac is also gamebreaking. When sufficiently levelled, the coin and supply rewards from quests will be boosted to a point where they can feed into a cycle of quest looping that can continue nigh-indefinitely, providing dozens of goods and medal rewards which are also boosted by the Château's bonus. Eventually one can reach a point where the cycle is limited primarily by the owner's willingness to keep clicking through the quests, rather than the stockpile of coin and supply they have. This one could be fixed by having only recurring quests be unaffected by the quest reward bonus.

#3. Diamonds are technically gamebreaking as well, but as these are what keep the lights on in the server room there isn't a whole lot to do about this one. More irony here in that the above examples are even more gamebreaking than the 'pay to win' currency in the game.

Summary of ways to fix gameplay: Remove rogues and cap GBs at level 10 once again. Simple! :)

DeletedUser27889

Summary of ways to (fix gameplay): *set the record for most rage quits for a single game, Remove rogues and cap GBs at level 10 once again. Simple! :)
/fixed.

Not that I'm saying you're necessarily wrong.

Freshmeboy

Changing the AI wont work either...In my age I use rogues on the C-map as well, just need to play more defensively and you tend to lose 1 or two opportunities for attack in the battle. Overpowered? Perhaps, but can you imagine the lack of participation in GE and GvG without them..? Rogues are good for the game in that respect...

DeletedUser13838

*The Arc is the only GB with a bonus that has 'breakpoints' at fixed levels (levels 58 and 80 both lower the amount you get per level past that point). Every other GB either gains the same amount for every level past 10 or it very gradually increases/decreases the further you go.
I'm fairly certain this was fixed after release.
Summary of ways to fix gameplay: Remove rogues and cap GBs at level 10 once again. Simple! :)
I don't really use rogues that much anymore except in easy fights (I don't really gvg so this is primarily about GE). Tougher fights need more fine tuning. And if you reset the GB cap the end game is gone and there's no reason left to play the game.

DeletedUser26579

Changing the AI wont work either...In my age I use rogues on the C-map as well, just need to play more defensively and you tend to lose 1 or two opportunities for attack in the battle. Overpowered? Perhaps, but can you imagine the lack of participation in GE and GvG without them..? Rogues are good for the game in that respect...

I don't know. Using a couple of fast units to take out the one non-rogue unit can work quite well.