• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Why Battle Unfairly Lost?

DeletedUser28092

Just finished battle with low bronze end player. He had 7 spearfighters and one rogue. I had 3 archers, 3 soldiers, 1 warrior and 1 ballista. He not only won the battle, but wiped me out in just a few moves while I sat there waiting for a turn. His spearfighters were too strong for my warrior, soldiers and my archers and ballista only had one chance each before being destroyed. The rogue was killed then transformed to a spearfighter but they were all too strong for my superior fighters. I know the rogue probably added a bit but since the strongest element was spearfighter, I wonder how they were ablet o have so many more turns and attack and attack/defense so strong that only 2 were killed while wiping out all 8 of my fighters. This also happened in another batle where there was no irregular fighter, no rogue, just a few stone hurlers and spearfighters, while my warriors and soldiers again waited endlessly for a turn against strangely strong defenses against a player who only had the earliest of bronze dwellings and little else.

DeletedUser25166

You stink at fighting? Stick to farming, what you described did not happen as you posted

DeletedUser8420

Was the battle PVP or GVG? If it was GVG I believe he might have gotten some attack bonus from his guild (I say might as I don't do GVG and haven't kept up the rules on it)...Did he have a Zeus? that adds bonus attack points and then with the new tavern you can get attack and/or defend bonus so that might have played into it the scenario. Those are the two things I can think since you aren't in my world for me to check it out.

DeletedUser10415

Light units (spears) are strong against ranged units (archers and ballista). Soldiers are not much stronger than spearmen. 9/9 vs 7/7. They are both light units, and if the spearmen are attacking from bushes or forest, and the soldiers are on plains, hills, or rocks when they do, the spearmen will dominate. Even warriors are not very much superior to spears.

Did you attack the other player's city or did they attack yours? If it's the latter, that explains it all, as city defense AI is simply moronic.

DeletedUser8420

AI is simply moronic.

Amen to that because it will most often target the rogues which will then change...rather target the other units first ....taking them out first would negate the rogues....but noooooo....the AI does just the opposite.

sirblu

I have a question - In the attached file what does the list of players and the accompanying numbers mean? I am in a hood where all the neighbors are in way advance ages and I am attacked every few hours by a different player. I have since stopped all production of anything I have control over and have deleted all my city's defense army since it is impossible for me who is in the middle of the colonial age to defend against such advanced forces. But this screen appears when I play the playback and I was just wondering what it meant.FoE Battle Reply.jpg

DeletedUser8420

That is a PVP rank listing...they are listed in rank with points earned for total battles done

The listing at the bottom is the what military units the opposing fighter used vs the defensive units you had in your city. If you only using 2 spearmen everyone is going to attack and you are going to lose

sirblu

Thanks Cassaundrea, Are the points representative of the points earned for attacking me or just overall for them alone?

wolfhoundtoo

Just finished battle with low bronze end player. He had 7 spearfighters and one rogue. I had 3 archers, 3 soldiers, 1 warrior and 1 ballista. He not only won the battle, but wiped me out in just a few moves while I sat there waiting for a turn. His spearfighters were too strong for my warrior, soldiers and my archers and ballista only had one chance each before being destroyed. The rogue was killed then transformed to a spearfighter but they were all too strong for my superior fighters. I know the rogue probably added a bit but since the strongest element was spearfighter, I wonder how they were ablet o have so many more turns and attack and attack/defense so strong that only 2 were killed while wiping out all 8 of my fighters. This also happened in another batle where there was no irregular fighter, no rogue, just a few stone hurlers and spearfighters, while my warriors and soldiers again waited endlessly for a turn against strangely strong defenses against a player who only had the earliest of bronze dwellings and little else.

You need to provide a bit more information. Were you the attacker or the defender? If you are the defender you don't actually get to fight your troops the A.I. does it. You were watching the video of the fight.

DeletedUser28092

You need to provide a bit more information. Were you the attacker or the defender? If you are the defender you don't actually get to fight your troops the A.I. does it. You were watching the video of the fight.
I was the attacker both times with two different players. There will be more information in another reply to a alter response here

DeletedUser28092

Was the battle PVP or GVG? If it was GVG I believe he might have gotten some attack bonus from his guild (I say might as I don't do GVG and haven't kept up the rules on it)...Did he have a Zeus? that adds bonus attack points and then with the new tavern you can get attack and/or defend bonus so that might have played into it the scenario. Those are the two things I can think since you aren't in my world for me to check it out.
No guild, on either side. More info to be posted in anotehr reply to another reply

DeletedUser28092

Light units (spears) are strong against ranged units (archers and ballista). Soldiers are not much stronger than spearmen. 9/9 vs 7/7. They are both light units, and if the spearmen are attacking from bushes or forest, and the soldiers are on plains, hills, or rocks when they do, the spearmen will dominate. Even warriors are not very much superior to spears.

Did you attack the other player's city or did they attack yours? If it's the latter, that explains it all, as city defense AI is simply moronic.
I was the attacker both times two different players. No guilds involved. The other players were both extremely empty cities as if they barely began -playing and decided to stop, very few houses, one or two supply buildings, minimum seats (empty) at their taverns, close to 0 rank in my neighborhood, and, the oddest part was that I seldom got a turn and my defenses were practically nonexistent against their attacks, my units would die in two hits while theirs would take 3 to 4. This latest I described in original post above was a hilarious one-sided battle where I repeatedly only got to move one or two units while they got to move 3-4 units before I would get another turn.

At this point it doesn't matter, it is too complicated to mess with trying to figure out these two single battles compared to all the others. I thought maybe there might be some random AI when attacking cities which caused such scenarios just for fun.

Thanks for your help I do appreciate all the replies.

DeletedUser28092

That's part of your problem right there and why you think something unfair happened to you. Just because you have a unit at an age higher than what it's fighting does not necessarily mean it is "superior". You need to study the units; type, attack/defense, bonuses, etc.
https://en.wiki.forgeofempires.com/index.php?title=Units
I was prety sure I had spent time reading the attack and defense of the units on my side and theirs, but perhaps I should go back and see if spear fighters have more power than I thought I read. Thank you.

DeletedUser28092

Thanks to everyone who responded. I would consider this thread closed, not sure where to close it, lol.