• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Why Battle Unfairly Lost?

DeletedUser26154

You stink at fighting? Stick to farming, what you described did not happen as you posted

No need to go there Stallion.

He not only won the battle, but wiped me out in just a few moves while I sat there waiting for a turn.

Your opponent's combat bonuses were probably pretty high.
Great Buildings and Tavern bonuses really tip the scales in someone's favor.
Also, long-ranged units can strike first against units that can only attack adjacent hexes.
As you get into higher eras, you will get more and more different types of ranged units.
Every single unit I fight with, no matter what, have long range.
Some just have longer ranges than others.

Terrain also factors heavily.
Where your units and their units are at on the map [in trees, in bushes, in foxholes, in McDonald's, etc.].

study the units; type, attack/defense, bonuses, etc.

Sloppyjoeslayer has a good point. I'll repost his link.
https://en.wiki.forgeofempires.com/index.php?title=Units
Attack/defense bonuses make you or break you.

Don't be discouraged Lady Shady.
Every one of us has gone through this at one time or another.
If you have any questions or problems, get back to us.

tower rank.png

There's a lot of solid, tried-and-true combat knowledge here for you.

DeletedUser28092

No need to go there Stallion.

Your opponent's combat bonuses were probably pretty high.
Great Buildings and Tavern bonuses really tip the scales in someone's favor.
Also, long-ranged units can strike first against units that can only attack adjacent hexes.
As you get into higher eras, you will get more and more different types of ranged units.
Every single unit I fight with, no matter what, have long range.
Some just have longer ranges than others.

Terrain also factors heavily.
Where your units and their units are at on the map [in trees, in bushes, in foxholes, in McDonald's, etc.].

Sloppyjoeslayer has a good point. I'll repost his link.
https://en.wiki.forgeofempires.com/index.php?title=Units
Attack/defense bonuses make you or break you.

Don't be discouraged Lady Shady.
Every one of us has gone through this at one time or another.
If you have any questions or problems, get back to us.

View attachment 2186

There's a lot of solid, tried-and-true combat knowledge here for you.

Well, thank you I will study the info there. I forgot to mention also that in both battles I was using a gifted item, this one had a ballista won from the winter event, and the previous had a color guard, I was cherishing both of them, especially the color guard with its very high defense, protecting them for vulnerability and wondered if the AI catches on to this kind of thing and eliminates them when we've had them for too long. Apparently that is not the case. Thank you again.

DeletedUser26154

color guard
I don't use Color Guards or Drummers.
I usually bring lots or Rogues instead.
Rogues are perhaps the best battle unit in town.
Usually I bring one non-Rogue and 7 Rogues.

We'll leave this thread open so you and others can return to it and expand your knowledge.
Feel free to ask questions, no matter how "obvious" or "silly" they may be.
That's how you learn, that's how we all learned.
That and a lot of trial and error.
There are others here who have forgot more about FoE combat than I presently know.

Two good threads, of many good threads, on how to build your city.
https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/optimising-my-world-layout.15762/
https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/gold-vs-population.15691/

Keep in touch.
Thank you and good luck.

wolfhoundtoo

The battle system is turned based. You will always get the same NUMBER of turns per round as the enemy (each of your units can act once per round assuming of course they aren't killed 1st). The order of movement is basically based on the speed of the units so the faster the unit the sooner it gets to move.

The AI tends to target the next unit to move (it isn't quite that simple but it is the basic rule) so that if your unit that is next to move is near the enemy's units (say 2 of them that move next) the 2 enemy units will attack your 1 unit next. Generally that means your unit dies and then the next unit gets to go. Now that could be your unit or it could be the enemy unit.

DeletedUser8420

one last thing...how many watchfires did they have? The watchfires add defense boost to a city. You may not notice all there (I tend to hide mine, so I actually have more then you will spot with a casual look)

DeletedUser8420

I love to find a city that is defended by 7 rogues and 1 non-rogue..:rolleyes:..hit the non first and the rogues are sitting ducks....ping ping ping....HEEHEEEmuahahahhaha:D

DeletedUser26154

I love to find a city that is defended by 7 rogues and 1 non-rogue..

What I will do during the next "Plunder people quest" is...
Have 8 Rogues for city defense.
Set my supply production timers for 5 minutes.
Then send letters to my neighbors inviting them to a free day of easy points and ransacking.