• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Why bother with GVG?

Mor-Rioghain

In theory, yes. Big issue, though: PLATFORM. I'd help in GvG but I play strictly mobile, and anyone on mobile can't play GvG. Because it was consciously decided by Inno to not port GvG to any mobile platforms, an entire segment of the then, AND now modern player community cannot participate, even if they wanted to.

I remember when Inno did a refresh to GvG 3 or 4 years ago, and characterized the community of players using that feature of the game (playing GvG....) @ roughly 5% of the FoE gamers.

It was fairly revelational to be told it was that low, and still got development energy. I'll bet its lower now. To some, it's their reason to come in here and stick around at all.
It was 'consciously decided' by Inno not to expend the engergy and yes, many many RL fps to port this feature to mobile. Mobile players by definition are "throw and go" players. I'm not prepared nor willing to spend money in this game to satisfy what you call 'modern' players and I call 'transient' players. PCs are not a thing of the past and that's exactly what is implied by such reasoning. If someone wants to play this feature badly enough, they will utilize a pc.

Bottom line is that this thread was introduced by someone who doesn't see the value in that feature of the game. This pov is not unique. If you don't like it, don't play it. I like the diversity the game has to offer. Personally, I find it hard to believe that any player can't find a guild that doesn't support battlegrounds after 3 years of the feature being live!

Eliminating GvG would only accomplish one thing: eliminating all players who've played a long time.

My other thoughts on the issue of guild goods? Have y'all ever done a cost-analysis of what it takes to play in diamond league in an unfriendly build zone compared to sieging/da expenses in gvg? I saw the list(s) of what some players think is adequate to feed the treasury and sorry, but it's laughable. If you're not providing 2500 goods per day, you'd probably not be considered for membership in a top-tired guild on any world but one of the newest ones. The days of an 80 Arc are not yet a thing of the past but they're sure amping up to be. I don't have any analysis of that but my best 'guess' would be that in a year (or less), people with Arcs under 130 will be passe and less likely to attract the attention of guilds on the first 2 pages of rank. It is what it is -- you can either deal with the diversity or not. Your choice.

Johnny B. Goode

Eliminating GvG would only accomplish one thing: eliminating all players who've played a long time.
Hahaha. That's funny. I mean, maybe some long time players would leave. Maybe even quite a few. But all???? Not by a long shot. I'm not even sure a majority of long time players would leave. I'm sure that with the lack of rewards in GvG many have moved on to GBG and other areas of the game that are more productive. This statement reminds me of all the people who said many players would leave because of the 2000 abort limit. Didn't happen. There are tons of other examples over the years of people thinking that everyone shared their viewpoint and most would leave because of this or that. Never happened. Sure, a few have left over the years because of changes Inno has made, but never a mass exit by any stretch.
The days of an 80 Arc are not yet a thing of the past but they're sure amping up to be. I don't have any analysis of that but my best 'guess' would be that in a year (or less), people with Arcs under 130 will be passe and less likely to attract the attention of guilds on the first 2 pages of rank. It is what it is -- you can either deal with the diversity or not. Your choice.
More humor. I needed a laugh this evening and you've provided me with two! Unintentional, but still appreciated. Your "best guess" is purely speculation based on only the info available and only from your limited perspective. Thousands of players don't even have an Arc, let alone a level 80 one. You sound like some of the out of touch rich people who don't understand a thing about the average person. Maybe the average player doesn't give a hoot about the guilds "on the first two pages". I sure don't. Wouldn't join one if they begged me. They're kind of like fraternities. Some students love them. Some are aching to get in one. Most students couldn't care less about them. Some students even find them annoying. Same thing here. (Incidentally, just did a quick check of a few of the top 20 guilds on one of my worlds. Some leaders with Arcs over level 130, but many players with Arcs at less than level 80. And it's not at all a new world.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Mor-Rioghain

I have seen you post before wanting numbers in GE attempts and then you post some completely cohesive and well thought out like this. It's like you're two different people , kudos for the above.
lol, thanks, i guess! I wasn't the person who posted the request for # of attempts to be listed on that other thread but I did answer it.

When I answered that post I'd forgotten that if you hover your mouse over the "GE attempt coins," you will see the actual number of attempts remaining. I suppose that the mobile screen would require a tap or something to see the same thing. I'd go back and repost that but I've honestly had no luck at all in finding previous threads on this forum. (Probably not the search function--just me not remembering enough key words or something! lol)

Johnny B. Goode

I simply stated my opinion and didn't claim it to be fact as so many do on these forums.
If it truly was your opinion you should have stated "I think" this will happen. But you stated it without any such qualifier, which to me means you're stating a fact, so...
Personally I don't find mocking people's opinions on an issue as amusing.
And yet you lump all "well known members" together and insult us as a group. Kind of hypocritical, don't you think?
When I answered that post I'd forgotten that if you hover your mouse over the "GE attempt coins," you will see the actual number of attempts remaining. I suppose that the mobile screen would require a tap or something to see the same thing. I'd go back and repost that
No need, I answered with the way to see them on both PC and mobile. Something I do often when people ask questions here on the Forum.

Sheldor the Destroyer

Can anyone give me one good reason to fool with GVG? There are no rewards, and no, I don't consider your guild benefits increasing by one measly fp once in a blue moon, or some meaningless guild rank on a screen a reward. It doesn't give me fp's, diamonds, goods, or supplies, all of which I need to grow my city. It only burns up troops that could be used in GBG, and with a level 95 Traz, an attrition wall of a little over 115, and pretty good siege camp support, I still don't have troops to waste on something that returns a miniscule number of benefits. I get tired of guild leaders wasting goods in GVG when those goods could be used for GBG which helps most all guildies grow their cities. If I could find a guild that concentrated on GBG, with GVG as a minor afterthought, I'd move in a heartbeat.
Yeah, GvG is a big reason that some are still playing. GvG is probably the most fun, competitive part of the game. Are you in a guild with only swaps and level 2 of GE unlocked, lol?

mellofax

FOE Team
Co-Community Manager
I have already removed some messages here, lets keep the insults out of the conversation peeps - I am sure you can have a reasoned discussion without the need to make it personal and I really do not want to be over bearing. Dont give me the reason, and I can sit and read instead :)

85gt

I've tried GVG and just don't find it entertaining. It borders on being a chore. Every guild I've been in, the GVG players are at a minimum. It boils down to,
what I find fun is building my city and watching it grow over time and GVG just doesn't help you do that.
If all you want to do is build a city try sim city, GVG is the only part of the game I like, and GBG is a chore for those that have to run it each season, GBG burn out

Brew J B

If all you want to do is build a city try sim city, GVG is the only part of the game I like, and GBG is a chore for those that have to run it each season, GBG burn out
Yeah, you right, GBG requires a lil' more time & commitment to the game. Some of us like playing more'n 15 or 20 minutes a day at recalc. I usually get 'round 7 or 8K hits per season, occasionally more, but that keeps my lil' city growing! I did used to love playing Sim City a couple decades ago, but naaaa, I think I'll stick to FOE, thank you. Oh, and Sim City won't let me attack and plunder my neighbors, so there's that...

Last edited:
GvG: Fun, can do at all hours (mostly at reset, but taking sectors while guilds are asleep is great), closest thing to actual pvp this game has, uses some tactical thinking, has a social element.

GBG: Tedious and boring, and the only people who really benefit are the ones lucky enough to be online when all the siege camps are ready. Anyone with a different schedule gets screwed.

When I play GvG I get a sense of accomplishment, especially fighting against big guilds while solo or in a small guild. GBG is just a tedious time waster that makes me lose troops for nothing. Perhaps if I could be online to benefit from the mass fights then I would enjoy it more, but GvG will always be my reason for still playing this game.

Angry.Blanket

GvG: Fun, can do at all hours (mostly at reset, but taking sectors while guilds are asleep is great), closest thing to actual pvp this game has, uses some tactical thinking, has a social element.

GBG: Tedious and boring, and the only people who really benefit are the ones lucky enough to be online when all the siege camps are ready. Anyone with a different schedule gets screwed.

When I play GvG I get a sense of accomplishment, especially fighting against big guilds while solo or in a small guild. GBG is just a tedious time waster that makes me lose troops for nothing. Perhaps if I could be online to benefit from the mass fights then I would enjoy it more, but GvG will always be my reason for still playing this game.
In GvG every thing is bubbled up in 15 minutes, nothing to hit for 24 hrs after that.
I go though a crazy amount of troops per day for GvG. No rewards of any kind for GVG.
I have never logged on and not had GbG fights available within 4 hrs or less. the tiles all tell you when they will open simple to set a timer.
I use almost zero troops for GbG.

Last edited:

Mor-Rioghain

In GvG every thing is bubbled up in 15 minutes, nothing to hit for 24 hrs after that.
This is why many guilds will negotiate with friendly guilds for sector exchanges.
I go though a crazy amount of troops per day for GvG. No rewards of any kind for GVG.
If your guild expects you to reshield, set sieges, and provide units for defensive armies, you would go through a lot of units. Many guilds expect their members who do not participate in recalc (rehielding) to also do da's. If your guild is too small or doesn't practice this method, I'd recommend finding a guild that supports GvG in a like manner.
I have never logged on and not had GbG fights available within 4 hrs or less. the tiles all tell you when they will open simple to set a timer.
You've been fortunate in finding other guilds on a given battleground to work out sector swaps with your guild. My experience in the top tiers of diamond league are than quite often there are double- or triple-lags in sector exchanges if no collaborations/shaky collaborations between guilds exists or the collaborations go south or when guilds hold sectors longer to capitalize on the LPs to facilitate sector exchanges and yes, to prevent other guilds from obtaining any LPs. I would hazard a guess that part of the reason for a proposed cap on the attrition boosters is in large part due to the fact that Inno never anticipated a 24-hour/10.5 day battleground (as many of the threads on this issue seem to support). Your situation is not average or even the norm for most players.

I use almost zero troops for GbG.
You are indeed fortunate as many, many players have had to raise their Alcatraz to levels pretty much unheard of to try and staunch the flow of the never-ending need for more units that healing times in only the highest level guilds can answer. My L84 Traz on my main world only produces 82 units per collection (L100 guild=14:40 hours), so 5.6 units per hour x 24 hours=134.5 units per day. In the top tier of diamond, I'm often reduced to sitting out fights or relying on negotiations to keep from bottoming out my units.

It just seems that you do not find any personal satisfaction in this particular feature of the game but what I do not understand is why you would even suggest that because you don't find it valuable that it isn't a valuable feature to others. I personally find it very gratifying that there a plethora of fighting platforms for me to choose from and when I am not interested in -- or not able to perform them to my exacting standards -- I can just forgoe them. If I find myself in a guild that doesn't support my personal right to choose, I leave and find one better suited to me. The truth, in my experience, is that most guilds are happy to work with individual players' needs and wishes and provided you are supporting their goals for the group at large they will be very flexible. If they aren't, then you've just not found the right guild.

Edit: I would like to see a line-by-line comparison of any player who claims to use "almost zero troops" in any battle scenario. I think if you actually calculated how many units you produce/acquire and how many are destroyed rather than healed to fight another day you might just be surprised at how many units are actually used in the battlegrounds feature playing in Diamond League at 3K+ fights per season! I actually find that position unsupportable by any measures I've seen to date whether that be by personal experience or by just applying the math.

Last edited:

Angry.Blanket

This is why many guilds will negotiate with friendly guilds for sector exchanges.

If your guild expects you to reshield, set sieges, and provide units for defensive armies, you would go through a lot of units. Many guilds expect their members who do not participate in recalc (rehielding) to also do da's. If your guild is too small or doesn't practice this method, I'd recommend finding a guild that supports GvG in a like manner.

You've been fortunate in finding other guilds on a given battleground to work out sector swaps with your guild. My experience in the top tiers of diamond league are than quite often there are double- or triple-lags in sector exchanges if no collaborations/shaky collaborations between guilds exists or the collaborations go south or when guilds hold sectors longer to capitalize on the LPs to facilitate sector exchanges and yes, to prevent other guilds from obtaining any LPs. I would hazard a guess that part of the reason for a proposed cap on the attrition boosters is in large part due to the fact that Inno never anticipated a 24-hour/10.5 day battleground (as many of the threads on this issue seem to support). Your situation is not average or even the norm for most players.

You are indeed fortunate as many, many players have had to raise their Alcatraz to levels pretty much unheard of to try and staunch the flow of the never-ending need for more units that healing times in only the highest level guilds can answer. My L84 Traz on my main world only produces 82 units per collection (L100 guild=14:40 hours), so 5.6 units per hour x 24 hours=134.5 units per day. In the top tier of diamond, I'm often reduced to sitting out fights or relying on negotiations to keep from bottoming out my units.

It just seems that you do not find any personal satisfaction in this particular feature of the game but what I do not understand is why you would even suggest that because you don't find it valuable that it isn't a valuable feature to others. I personally find it very gratifying that there a plethora of fighting platforms for me to choose from and when I am not interested in -- or not able to perform them to my exacting standards -- I can just forgoe them. If I find myself in a guild that doesn't support my personal right to choose, I leave and find one better suited to me. The truth, in my experience, is that most guilds are happy to work with individual players' needs and wishes and provided you are supporting their goals for the group at large they will be very flexible. If they aren't, then you've just not found the right guild.
Quite the contrary ,I enjoy GvG, it is just over way to fast every day.
I am in 3 1000lp diamond level guilds, each with a varying degree of activity, the GbG tiles still open every 4hrs in all of them, I have no problem getting fights, even in the smallest where we get beached frequently, I really feel the folks that complain about not getting fights in GbG are actually complaining about have to be too active to get fights in GbG. The required activity in GbG is the part that I enjoy.

Mor-Rioghain

Quite the contrary ,I enjoy GvG, it is just over way to fast every day.
Based on this statement I can only assume that your GvG experience has been in recalc. That's unfortunate because with 24-hour access there are far more possibilities (and time frames) to fight throughout the day on any schedule in any time-zone as so many other players have already illustrated. You seem to enjoy the feature now that i've seen several of your comments so why not branch out and try joining a guild that enjoys a friendly relationship with other guilds for sector exchanges if you're so inclined?

It seems to me that your OP is all about trashing a feature that you've not yet experienced in it's full measure and that's a shame. The feature is not only fine but many players enjoy the benefits of having round-the-clock access to it but it takes some work to work out such arrangements between guilds. In my experience, it can be far more rewarding if what you are interested in is battle-play as you can easily fight on eleven eras' continents, enabling players to continually rediscover over and over again the pros/cons of lower era units) and the boon is AA where you can fight with any of the add-on eras you please.

The Battlegrounds feature is nice but I see the 4-hour lockdowns as extremely limiting, as do many players. I find the 3-day cooldowns between season infuriating. You mentioned the rewards (as so many players do) and that ... I find beyond infuriating because as is often the case in such matters, only those who are willing to spend more in terms of time and yes, real money, really benefit, leaving out the casual players and those who have little or no real money to spend on a game and it grates against my innate sense of fairness. I want to see more players enjoy all of the features so yes, I applaud the efforts to keep what some of the 'newer' players deem a 'dated feature' alone. Honestly, using goods made by players from a building that is highly desirable at high levels (the Arc) for only one battle feature is imho just plain selfish of them. If they cannot make enough guild goods between the 4 GBs that are available and the plethora of event and settlement items that deposit directly into the treasury then they are just doing something wrong. The means are there, they're just not using them to their best advantage for all members of the guild.
I am in 3 1000lp diamond level guilds, each with a varying degree of activity, the GbG tiles still open every 4hrs in all of them, I have no problem getting fights, even in the smallest where we get beached frequently, I really feel the folks that complain about not getting fights in GbG are actually complaining about have to be too active to get fights in GbG. The required activity in GbG is the part that I enjoy.
Your statement is only true if the guilds actually flip the sectors every 4 hours. I've not found that to be true in my experience, especially during tight collaborations between 2 guilds who dominate the maps during the entire season. Then it really is a lot of 'feast and famine.' Yes, there are fights but more often than not is even more frustrating than waiting for recalc once per 24-hours.

At least in GvG the sectors are "flipped" without fail every recalculation period whether the host guild is there or not. That just evens up the playing field.

Last edited:

Flavius Belisarius

Guilds who are just interested in participation feelings love the GBG click fest.
GvG guilds do get recognition for team work and accomplishment that translates to Guild Prestige.

Flavius Belisarius

Based on this statement I can only assume that your GvG experience has been in recalc. That's unfortunate because with 24-hour access there are far more possibilities (and time frames) to fight throughout the day on any schedule in any time-zone as so many other players have already illustrated. You seem to enjoy the feature now that i've seen several of your comments so why not branch out and try joining a guild that enjoys a friendly relationship with other guilds for sector exchanges if you're so inclined?

It seems to me that your OP is all about trashing a feature that you've not yet experienced in it's full measure and that's a shame. The feature is not only fine but many players enjoy the benefits of having round-the-clock access to it but it takes some work to work out such arrangements between guilds. In my experience, it can be far more rewarding if what you are interested in is battle-play as you can easily fight on eleven eras' continents, enabling players to continually rediscover over and over again the pros/cons of lower era units) and the boon is AA where you can fight with any of the add-on eras you please.

The Battlegrounds feature is nice but I see the 4-hour lockdowns as extremely limiting, as do many players. I find the 3-day cooldowns between season infuriating. You mentioned the rewards (as so many players do) and that ... I find beyond infuriating because as is often the case in such matters, only those who are willing to spend more in terms of time and yes, real money, really benefit, leaving out the casual players and those who have little or no real money to spend on a game and it grates against my innate sense of fairness. I want to see more players enjoy all of the features so yes, I applaud the efforts to keep what some of the 'newer' players deem a 'dated feature' alone. Honestly, using goods made by players from a building that is highly desirable at high levels (the Arc) for only one battle feature is imho just plain selfish of them. If they cannot make enough guild goods between the 4 GBs that are available and the plethora of event and settlement items that deposit directly into the treasury then they are just doing something wrong. The means are there, they're just not using them to their best advantage for all members of the guild.

Your statement is only true if the guilds actually flip the sectors every 4 hours. I've not found that to be true in my experience, especially during tight collaborations between 2 guilds who dominate the maps during the entire season. Then it really is a lot of 'feast and famine.' Yes, there are fights but more often than not is even more frustrating than waiting for recalc once per 24-hours.

At least in GvG the sectors are "flipped" without fail every recalculation period whether the host guild is there or not. That just evens up the playing field.

Clearly you
Successful Guilds do not need RECAL. Understanding Strategy & Tactics for GvG campaigns finds me doing a lot of fighting around the clock.

Flavius Belisarius

When several Guilds (or at least 1 other) work to gather you maneuver your opponent into corners where they are left exposed.
Today's GvG is more about making it too expensive to capture too, much.
GvG does require multi-guild cooperation.

Last edited:

Flavius Belisarius

When several Guilds (or at least 1 other) work to gather you maneuver your opponent into corners where they are left exposed.
Toay's GvG is more about making it too expensive to capture too, much.
Improvement wishlist:
1. Eliminate LZ's for initial entry.
2. Remove shields after 4 hours (this could crossover recal)

Ebeondi Asi

It is odd you keep writing of changes? when we all know there will never be any changes in GvG. Except perhaps to close it altogether?