• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Word Shift

UBERhelp1

Scare

@UBERhelp1 got a doubt clarification though
in the previous comment #494 you said

Doesn't this mean no duplicate postings? which was already mentioned in #1

for example
Tall > Ball > Call > Wall (is this allowed - changing the previous poster's letter)?
Tall > Ball > All (is this allowed? - removed the previous poster's letter)?

wouldn't it contradict the rule u made which says -
you cannot remove the letter that was posted previous as the next poster
you can change a letter to another

Also in comment #23
Darts > Arts > Start > Star
in Arts to Start, word shifted and added a letter
and i guess that was two moves right?

and in the next comment u said Star (brilliant move Darts > Arts > Star; omitted Start without making any fuss)
did u correct the mistake or allowed to make 2 moves?
The intention of the statement was the point of undoing a change. So if I add a letter, the next poster can't immediately undo that change by removing it.

So, All > Ball > All is not allowed. Basically you can't change the word back to the one before the previous post.

As for other times when the rules might have been broken, I don't pay attention to it. I just started the game. However, in this instance, since players were making such a big fuss about the game rules and taking the fun out of the game, I wanted to step in this time and clarify the rules.

RoyalAdnan

so in a sense
Tall > Ball > Call > Wall is allowed
Tall > Ball > All is also allowed
since replacing/removing letters is allowed but

All > Ball > All is not allowed
as it undo the change and revert back to an old word which is repeated again and again as the game progresses
like being stuck in a cycle. Got it

another doubt clarification @UBERhelp1
example
POTS > TOPS (word shift)
can i change it to
COP by replacing "ST" which is special character combination irrespective of their letter position
POTS > TOPS > COP

can i also add/remove these special characters to/from a word without being close to each other or in the same order
(SH or HS, ST or TS, CH or HC, TH or HT)?
BIG > SIGH (replaced B with SH combination but not close to each other)
SACHET > ACHE (removed ST combination)
LOT > CLOTH (added CH combination but not in the same order)

Last edited:

UBERhelp1

so in a sense
Tall > Ball > Call > Wall is allowed
Tall > Ball > All is also allowed
since replacing/removing letters is allowed but

All > Ball > All is not allowed
as it undo the change and revert back to an old word which is repeated again and again as the game progresses
like being stuck in a cycle. Got it
Exactly. Basically to keep people from repeating the same thing.

another doubt clarification @UBERhelp1
example
POTS > TOPS (word shift)
can i change it to
COP by replacing "ST" which is special character combination irrespective of their letter position
POTS > TOPS > COP
No. Think of a special character combo like a letter. It's two letters but behaves like one. You can only remove or put one in if they are next to each other. And they have to be in the proper order, so ST can't be TS.

can i also add/remove these special characters to/from a word without being close to each other or in the same order
(SH or HS, ST or TS, CH or HC, TH or HT)?
BIG > SIGH (replaced B with SH combination but not close to each other)
SACHET > ACHE (removed ST combination)
LOT > CLOTH (added CH combination but not in the same order)
No. They behave as a single letter when you perform your action.

Though to clarify, if there is a combo already in the word, you can treat them as separate letters. So SHUT could become HUT. Likewise, you can split them after they are used. I can't think of a word right now, but say it was - - - CH, you could shift it and do C - - H -. They don't have to stay together in the right order except when you are adding or removing them, or replacing them (though you can remove or replace a single letter of the combo if you wish).

Last edited:

Nice2HaveU

Word Shift is simple: starting with one word, players can do one of a series of actions to that word. The next player does another action, and the chain continues. The allowed actions are:
  • Adding any one letter to the word (in any spot)
  • Removing any one letter of the word (in any spot)
  • Changing one letter to another
  • Moving one letter of the word
  • Word Shift (scramble the word)
Please help me with the clarifications.
"One of a series of actions", means what. Can use combinations of actions in one word or one action for one word. Need to understand.

As part of the game continuations,
Traps > Parts

RoyalAdnan

Please help me with the clarifications.
"One of a series of actions", means what. Can use combinations of actions in one word or one action for one word. Need to understand.

As part of the game continuations,
Traps > Parts

CHARTS

A player can perform any one of the following actions only once to a previous word -
1. Adding one letter* to a word in any spot
2. Removing one letter* to a word in any spot
3. Replacing any letter* with another
4. Move one letter to another spot
5. Word Shift (rearrange letters to form another English word)

*special combination characters like SH, ST, CH, TH can be counted as one letter and
should be used next to each other (SH__, __ST__, __CH, __TH ; correct) and
not separated (S___H, __S__T__, C__H__, T__H__ ; wrong) or mirrored (HS, TS, HC, HT ; wrong)

As the next person to comment or move,
a player shall not undo/remove the letter and revert it back to the previous player's word
(to prevent posting the same word again and again repeatedly which would definitely stall the game)

example -
Call > Shall > Call (wrong; not allowed)

If at any point, word gets "stuck" . . .please read 1st comment of this thread;)

This is my understanding of the rules as @UBERhelp1 has described and commented in this thread, hope this helps.

@UBERhelp1 Thanks for the clearing my doubts, one last doubt
is this allowed? at some point "Call" comes in the next page of the thread or any arbitrary page.
there is no way knowing whether the said word was commented before or not

Call > Shall > Mall > Ball > All > Call

UBERhelp1

@UBERhelp1 Thanks for the clearing my doubts, one last doubt
is this allowed? at some point "Call" comes in the next page of the thread or any arbitrary page.
there is no way knowing whether the said word was commented before or not

Call > Shall > Mall > Ball > All > Call
Yes, that's allowed. If it was Call > Shall > Call, that would not be allowed. If it was Call > Shall > Mall > Call, that would be. As long as you're not directly undoing the change.