• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

The Watchfire Controversy

DeletedUser26965

This conversation is funny. I mean the game is dynamic in that much of all this depends on many factors. Of course for one type of player at certain points of the game may find many o' WF useful whereas another player doing something else at another point in the game will not. Same goes for many other buildings and such in the game not just WF.

DeletedUser26660

Yes, agreed. For many of us the game changes and evolves as we progress through it, what suits someone now may not do so 12 months down the line. I have deleted certain GBs as I have progressed as they have not been worthwhile whereas before they were.

DeletedUser26965

Watchfires take no space away from anything. If they do then you have no clue how to layout a city.
They take space like anything else especially when you use 157 of them lol. Not using them doesn't imply one does not know how to layout a city. Say for instance one wishes to maximize the recurring quests in OF, do you think they should use 157 watchfires or 39 more Blacksmiths that could theoretically fit in that same space?

ahsay

They take space like anything else especially when you use 157 of them lol. Not using them doesn't imply one does not know how to layout a city. Say for instance one wishes to maximize the recurring quests in OF, do you think they should use 157 watchfires or 39 more Blacksmiths that could theoretically fit in that same space?

No you're wrong. Sure at the amount you're talking about maybe...again maybe. If they do get in the way then keep them in inventory until you can put them into your city without them getting in the way. Not rocket science?????????????????

Watchfires are a 1x1 they fit anywhere. You don't make "room" for them. They fit into the room that's already there. Every city has dead spots...no road, not enough buildings of the same size, etc. That's where you put watchfires. Anybody making "space" for them, is an idiot and has "...no clue how to lay out a city.".

DeletedUser26120

I'd rather have Victory Towers as fill-in space than watchfires.

I'll repeat: if you're an active player, watchfires are a waste of space.

DeletedUser26965

No you're wrong. Sure at the amount you're talking about maybe...again maybe. If they do get in the way then keep them in inventory until you can put them into your city without them getting in the way. Not rocket science?????????????????

Watchfires are a 1x1 they fit anywhere. You don't make "room" for them. They fit into the room that's already there. Every city has dead spots...no road, not enough buildings of the same size, etc. That's where you put watchfires. Anybody making "space" for them, is an idiot and has "...no clue how to lay out a city.".
K, yes generally speaking for basic cities there's going to be little dead zones for 1x1's but show me where to put one single watchfire here;
https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?attachments/hqs_ca-example_bp-png.3680/
Cosmic Raven's Version of Heavy Questing

DeletedUser26965

If they don't fit then they don't fit... Once again it's not rocket science.
I guess you keep forgetting you said this
Watchfires take no space away from anything. If they do then you have no clue how to layout a city.
That's what I'm talking about. Then you repeated that to LacLongQuan, clearly Watchfires would take away space needed for what he's doing and he clearly has a clue on how to layout a city. I agree it's not rocket science to not use them when you are maximizing space for something else but that's not what you said.

ahsay

>>>I'd rather have Victory Towers as fill-in space than watchfires.<<<
I'm happy for you. If you have any extra space not filled by VT's put in a watchfire.

I need 290,000 medals for an expansion... If I have a thousand Victory Towers it would still take almost 3mo. to get an expansion. I rather you lose a plasma cannon, what little payback that is, is still payback.

Here's another way to look at it that's been touched upon already. The closer I get to an expansion the more plundering I do; because if I'm going to lose troops...I'm taking something with me. There's at least 60 people in a 'hood. Why hit the guy with a mega defense when I can get the same amount of medals elsewhere? Watchfires wont stop an enemy but they discourage neighbors.

Jesus...take them for what they are. They're not a means to an end. There a means to discouragement. They take zero effort. If you get them then try to use them. What's so hard about that concept?

ahsay

I guess you keep forgetting you said this

That's what I'm talking about. Then you repeated that to LacLongQuan, clearly Watchfires would take away space needed for what he's doing and he clearly has a clue on how to layout a city. I agree it's not rocket science to not use them when you are maximizing space for something else but that's not what you said.

Watchfires take away no space from anything...(if they do then don't use them)...there does that help you?

If you can't figure out this simple concept then you have no clue...does that help even more?

I mistakenly thought that saying, "you have no clue how to lay out a city.", was better than a larger generalization. Clearly I was wrong...I will strongly endeavor to not make that mistake again.

DeletedUser26965

Watchfires take away no space from anything...(if they do then don't use them)...there does that help you?

If you can't figure out this simple concept then you have no clue...does that help even more?

I mistakenly thought that saying, "you have no clue how to lay out a city.", was better than a larger generalization. Clearly I was wrong...I will strongly endeavor to not make that mistake again.
Yes I agree I have no clue what you are saying.

DeletedUser

I'd rather have Victory Towers as fill-in space than watchfires.

I'll repeat: if you're an active player, watchfires are a waste of space.
Victory Towers? Did you say Victory Towers? Okay, now you're talkin' about a waste of space. I've deleted almost every Victory Tower from my cities. In fact, now that you've reminded me about them, I'll go delete the rest. Victory Towers are almost as much a waste of space as the Shrine of Inspiration. LOL