• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

The Watchfire Controversy

DeletedUser

True, but the Victory Towers provide a relatively tiny amount of medals and they only pay out once a week. But, to each his own. You keep your Victory Towers, and I'll keep my Watchfires.

DeletedUser26120

My victory tower payouts give me more per week than two combined pvp towers.

Watchfires don't provide much of anything, especially for active players.

DeletedUser

Well, I'm an active player. And, just like ardak, I've had numerous attackers either retreat or get beaten by my Watchfire-boosted defense army. So, like I said, you keep your Victory Towers, and I'll keep my Watchfires.

ahsay

My victory tower payouts give me more per week than two combined pvp towers.
Watchfires don't provide much of anything, especially for active players.

I only have 14 Victory towers but if I replaced the WF with them... Then I would have the equivalent of nearly all the PvP towers too bad I don't get them as often as the WF.

I rarely get the retreat but I never have anyone attack me for very long. I don't even think the longest was a week. Then, when inno did the neighborhood revamp. I had 3 people attack regularly with a few hitting just before PvP points are totaled. That lasted, maybe two weeks. And until about a week ago I hadn't had an attack.

Why hit me and my nearly 300 defense when there are those like you out there. God I would love to have someone like you in my neighborhood.

DeletedUser26120

There's one guy in my hood with 300%+ def, I can beat him without losses.

Edit: and even if it were higher I could still beat it. I keep a list of notably high defenses and go in with attached rogues so I lose nothing for doing it.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Edit: and even if it were higher I could still beat it. I keep a list of notably high defenses and go in with attached rogues so I lose nothing for doing it.
Maybe you can, but I'm betting there aren't a lot of players in the hood that can. And even you admit that you have to keep track and attack differently to succeed against him.

DeletedUser26120

Fair enough and I'm not trying to convince anyone here who's using watchfires that they shouldn't.

I'm simply providing a different point of view for those who may be undecided on the issue.

I've said my part.

ahsay

Bully for you...what difference does that make?

You might want to actually read what I write. I'll say it again(yawn)...watchfires are not a means to an end. They don't stop a determined adversary but they discourage neighbors. You like victory towers...maybe if got more of them I'd prefer them too. But I can only use what I get. I get watchfires...so I use them.

ahsay

Fair enough and I'm not trying to convince anyone here who's using watchfires that they shouldn't.

I'm simply providing a different point of view for those who may be undecided on the issue.

I've said my part.

I don't read you posts that way. Sounds like you're trying to tell everyone not to waste their time with them. All I'm saying is, if you got them use them...you don't even have to 'collect' from them. Easiest building to take advantage of in FOE.

DeletedUser26154

I don't read your posts that way.

Lemme chime in here a moment.
There are different ways of playing your city.
If a building is motivated, it can not be plundered.
Some players have cities where every production building can be motivated.
Therefore, automatically protected from being plundered because of that.
Those cities don't need Watchfires.

Cities like mine, and many others, have production buildings that can not be motivated.
I always have a lot, and right now over a dozen.
I collect on time, and I have good defenses that I switch a little after any visits.
Last visit was several weeks ago.
4 Champions are the backbone and the other 4 I rotate on whims and precognition.

city defense.png

And there is no such thing as a Mass Renovation Kit.

images (13).jpg

I made that up.

DeletedUser26660

Something to mull over here. I deleted Deal Castle and St Basils and replaced with watchfires. Here's some maths for information...

Deal Castle is 7x7 = 49 squares = 49 Watchfires = +196 defense
St Basils is 5x5 = 25 squares= 25 Watchfires = +100 defense

So by deleting the 2 GBs above I acquired +296 extra defense on top of what I already had. Ok, I lost some retaliation attack from St. Basils and Deal but when weighed up against the huge increase in defense it does not matter. Since doing this I have successfully defended against all attacks, prior to doing this it was not the case. So from my experience a high defense is far superior to the combination of attack/defense from Deal and St.B. The number of hits needed to take out one defensive unit means that collectively the defensive units get far more hits in themselves against attackers too.

DeletedUser25427

Having read this discussion, I assessed the value of my watchfires and considering the relatively few times I have been attacked I have decided to delete them. Apart from the defensive capability of their city, players also need to consider their offensive capability as well because this will act as a deterrent to an aggressor. In one of my cities I was attacked 4 times by one player but each time I retaliated and plundered his buildings. He was a bit slow to get the message but he did stop attacking.

For players in the top ten in their Hood I think they would be relatively safe but for players lower down the rankings then added defence from watchfires will be useful because their offensive capability may not be so great to successfully attack higher ranked players. Watchfires are also good for young cities who may not yet have got offensive or defensive GBs.

So, I have taken the opposite view from Sir lanceaboil. I could be in trouble if I get reshuffled and end up in the bottom half of a new hood but we all have to take chances and I will be levelling up my Deal and St Basil just in case.

DeletedUser25166

Keeping mine. Top guy in hood who is rival guild member attacked twice. Lost 8 first, 2 second and retreated. Has not attacked since. It is a deterrent. And screw weekly Victory towers, what a waste.

DeletedUser26154

I have decided to delete them.

Once you get to a point, you can delete them or at least, no longer rely on them.
Newer players like myself [been here a year] still like to hoard and cling to every premium we win.
Once you've been here as long as some of our FoE Veterans, you make different choices.
They can, for example, level up their Cape.
If anything, I would install a Cape when I'm making the goods needed for it with my G.B.s.
I would never level it.
And I would have to have nothing better to place there.

But if you've been here for three, four, five years, then you have a different outlook.
Cities evolve and you can get to a point where Watchfires are obsolete.
Until then...

evolution of the gamer.png

I'm keeping mine too.

DeletedUser26120

lol armin, see even your 500 isnt safe. That's freaking 880%+ that got broken.

In oceanic future.