• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Swap threads. A terrible idea.

DeletedUser26965

Joe, thanks for the comments, but you misunderstood the point of my snipe definition. My point was that the term snipe is used as a negative thing for something that is actually beneficial. "NO SNIPING" sounds altruistic, when in fact, it may be more damaging than good. It would not have as much clout if they said the much more accurate "NO FREE TRADE"
I understand just fine and it's simply muddying the water. By characterizing it the way you are you're attributing a sole definition to it in order to pigeon hole the opposition to prove a point when there's no need for that. I understand the term can evoke in one such things but it does not make it so just because someone takes it that way.

My entire point is you have to define what it is actually to snipe before you can even begin to ascertain the veracity of its pros/cons. Sure we could just set that all aside and assume, with at least an obvious example like one guy in a guild has a level 80 Arc and 50,000 fp's in the bank and sits there all day watching the swap threads waiting to pounce on every single one to get first place and joins five man teams to always take first place etc. but this is merely one example that doesn't encompass the entirety of "sniping".

Saying "free trade" kind of confuses the issue with goods trading so not sure why you would say that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ta 152H

Dude, do you ever make a post without insulting someone in it? You're absolutely ridiculous and offensive, all the time.

You're wrong, he insulted me first by calling me an idiot. Get it straight.

But his post was deleted, so now you can't see it.

In fact, most of my posts are not insulting, but people often start with me.

DeletedUser26965

You're wrong, he insulted me first by calling me an idiot. Get it straight.

But his post was deleted, so now you can't see it.

In fact, most of my posts are not insulting, but people often start with me.
You don't consider your first post insulting?

Did someone buy you a new keyboard that you've been dying to try out?

I couldn't read the whole thing, as I'm not young enough to live to finish it, but I can safely say, there's no way anything to do with sniping should take this much space. Or the entire history of the world. Good grief.

DeletedUser34800

Right? Every post made by them has some form of insult wrapped up in it. It's like they can't say anything with out being insulting, rude, or nasty on some level. Check out the 0% defense thread, or the is the Alcatraz worth building thread, or any thread they've posted in (so many, not enough time to list).

This is supposed to be a family friendly game and forum, yet this guy/girl gets to respond to people in the way they do.

DeletedUser26965

Right? Every post made by them has some form of insult wrapped up in it. It's like they can't say anything with out being insulting, rude, or nasty on some level. Check out the 0% defense thread, or the is the Alcatraz worth building thread, or any thread they've posted in (so many, not enough time to list).

This is supposed to be a family friendly game and forum, yet this guy/girl gets to respond to people in the way they do.

Yes, there are a couple on the forums who never really have much to offer by way of actual constructive criticism or really much of anything besides flippant comments and the like, makes me wonder why they even bother playing a game they're so unwilling to discuss without ire. TA152H on the other hand will go to great lengths to discuss though as I found on this thread Expert's Chests we both were insulting though, I suppose we shouldn't make the mods job suckier than it already is.

Ta 152H

Again, you're wrong, and you're being hypocritical by doing what you're complaining about. Most of my posts are game related. Go through the list. Otherwise, stop doing what you're complaining about.

Either way, at least we've derailed this horrible thread, which should never have been created. Who's going to read that first post, and the ironic part is, the demand to read it fully. Good luck with that.

DeletedUser26965

Not really. We all do stupid things, right? Are we all stupid? Well, probably, but you get my point... :p
Okay, it's a long post, generally speaking as gaming forum posts go, but you have to admit you can drone on as well, I freely admit that I can as well. It's a matter of tact really. I know you have it in you. Release the rainbow!

rainbow-baby-brings-us-joy-after-heartache-L-JoJG8J.jpeg

DeletedUser15539

I do not believe that forge points should have seniority. If you do not want to be sniped, then do the math, and do not contribute to a Great Building without getting locked in.

DeletedUser28132

I don't know you, but I do know Jcera. She and I are guild mates on one world, and she is a member of my guild on another world. I can tell you from experience that she is a generous and very valued and supportive member of both guilds, as well as being very knowledgeable about the game. You, however, appear from your writings here to be none of these things.
Thanks, Stephen, it's comments like this that prove my point: Those in favor of the "No Sniping" rule do not want to debate the issue, they just hurl poo.

DeletedUser28132

Did someone buy you a new keyboard that you've been dying to try out?

I couldn't read the whole thing, as I'm not young enough to live to finish it, but I can safely say, there's no way anything to do with sniping should take this much space. Or the entire history of the world. Good grief.
It is idiotic to say that reading a 15 minute post about a very important aspect of a game is somehow too long or irrelevant. Your hyperbole has no point. More than anything it exposed your unwillingness to be fair and to actually be informed on your opinions. There, I didn't call you an idiot. No need to have this post deleted.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser31882

Dude, do you ever make a post without insulting someone in it? You're absolutely ridiculous and offensive, all the time.

Part of the 'charm' for us arrogant types. It's hard to temper all the condescending tells. That and when they come from the 'I am right and will die on this hill to prove it!' it's hard to discern if they are really trying to convince others of their viewpoint or just looking for a fight by virtue of differing opinion. I usually assume the latter when the personal insults are trotted out. Kind of like the majority of the early posts made. I think reputation is a big part of how people react. If I or another "Well-Known" member made this post, there would be a slightly slower rush to troll OP. That's the internet and humanity for you. 10% nuggets of wisdom, 90% garbage spewing. I try to average 13% nuggets myself.

Regardless of intent, clothes making the post, early mouse getting the cheese or the second bird gets the worm; I think the big difference is how people define respect and where they set the bar for their fellow man.

Consider the following:
So that leaves the questions as you discuss on pros/cons right/wrong etc. but as I began here it's difficult to even begin to clearly define specifically to encompass all the various scenarios that can occur and whether it could be considered a snipe or not, in that sense I agree it is in fact arbitrary in application but the concept still remains in tact.

Not that I think you care, as you are obviously pro-sniping your guildmates, but the reason you don't is respect. The guilds I choose to belong to are like families. You work together to become stronger. My 'family' is not worth a few FPs. I'm not going to get ahead by taking advantage of them. I won't. I choose to surround myself with people who feel the same way.

Sniping is used to refer to something bad, but if you look at what is going on here it is not bad at all.

Sniping is considered bad because the people playing the swap threads are all bumped down by a paying player, and they don’t get the free payout they were expecting. But there is a huge upside to this situation: the person with the GB gets a big reward as well. This upside applies to all guild members, so everyone on the swap threads will enjoy this benefit.

ALLOWING GUILDMATES TO SNIPE IS SELFISH AND RUDE - NOPE

The opposite is true. What is selfish is to deny a player what they are due. They are due the fps for that GB spot that they can easily sell. The person buying it makes a profit, so it’s a win/win. With the “no snipe” rule, the person that takes that spot for free produces a win/loss situation. THAT is rude. Remember - the worst that can happen to someone on the swap threads is they break even. They are not a victim!

As SJS alludes to earlier: Who gets to define the differences between good or bad? Is it a strict binary switch or are there shades of grey? Is it selfish for someone to demand their family take care of them when they have lost the ability to take care of themselves or is it selfish for the family to contract the care to an institution?

Depends on the family's values. Which a lot of these discussions boil down to once you strip away the FP numbers and GB economics.

filthyhorse said:
WHO BENEFITS MOST FROM ‘NO SNIPING’ RULES?

Short answer: the whales. Big players benefit most from no sniping rules as they have the means to dominate the swap threads, only now they don’t have to pay for their positions, so they get to keep 100% of their reward. Without the no sniping rule, they would have to share the majority of their reward with the GB owner. To confirm this, go through your guild’s last round of top GBs there were leveled and notice who took the majority of the tops spots. The other person that benefits most for No Sniping Rules are players outside your guild, preventing your guild from receiving the reward from its own players.

This is the most important question for anyone who considers implementing a no sniping rule. Understanding who can use the system to their benefit and track that will help leadership root out the bad actors versus the earnest mistakes. When someone argues you 'just know' the right thing or some other abstract 'feeling' argument, then you should be wary of that leadership's intent. Intuition can be a wonderful tool, but it lacks the analytical intelligence to support and keep the people in power from making mistakes, or worse, abusing their power.

To augment JCera & Stephen's side of the argument: Swap threads allows for a hybrid contribution race; It is controlled and overseen by guild leadership and laid back to promote team-building over cutthroat profiteering. This is why the 'No-sniping' portion is implemented, to stamp out profiteering between guildies and direct it towards hoodies or 'enemy' guilds. Unfair feelings is where a lot of drama can spawn from, so it makes sense to erect systems that help minimize it. Free Trade systems are less empathetic, as they focus on the numbers game with little regard to feelings of 'fair'. This is why we see many defensive arguments revolving around team-work, family and feeling based put-downs to opposing viewpoints. Even filthyhorse has waded into the feelings side of the equation by speaking to the 'negative' tone that sniping brings and framing arguments as good/bad in their attempt to convince others.

Regardless of one's views on the whole 'feels versus reals', outcomes are what we should all be interested in.

I liked some of your arguments, @filthyhorse , especially those pointing to how no-sniping doesn't solve the 'rich versus lil guy' issue. A big FP generator will dominate Swap threads and secure more top spots than smaller players. Swap threads just create an artificial queue that forces a smaller player to work harder to secure benefits. It's a first come, first served system that does not lend additional help to the little guy in comparison to the big guy. So any argument stating swap threads or no-sniping helps the poor doesn't hold any weight and weakens any related arguments.

I also liked the points relating to giving more owner control, like personal swaps, can allow the player, regardless of big/little status, to achieve their goals easier than a highly regulated/controlled system. I don't think 'no-sniping' rule alone makes a system highly regulated, but it can certainly compound an issue if the guild has many specific rules in regards to swap threads.

Anywho, thanks for the potentially fun topic. Similar discussion occurred recently in my guild in relation to our Arc Drop system. It made me realize how I am in a weird 'middle class' of FoE Players. I am a little guy, when you analyze me from a Arc perspective, but I can dominate part of the 'swap thread contribution race mini-game' due to my FP generation and banked FPs.

Ta 152H

It is idiotic to say that reading a 15 minute post about a very important aspect of a game that essentially takes hours a day to play is somehow too long or irrelevant. Your hyperbole has no point. More that anything it exposed your unwillingness to be fair and to actually be informed on your opinions. There, I didn't call you an idiot.

Yet, virtually everyone has the same opinion on your flatulent post. Brevity is a sign of intelligence, long winded redundant, boring posts aren't. So, why don't you listen to what virtually everyone is telling you and shorten your post so people will read it. It's not just me telling you this, so why don't you listen and actually get people to read your posts, instead of being aghast at how long it is, on something that's a fairly simple topic?