• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[FAQ] Help, I am being plundered!

• Thread starter DeletedUser8152
  • Start date

DeletedUser35712

This is the kind of crap that makes conservatives point the finger at us and yell "snowflake" and "SJW" crap.
I think the stereotypical “snowflake” and “SJW” would not try to offend others by saying volunteering is slavery, and would not use ableist slurs, even as an insult to the opposition. This guy is a completely different flavor of liberal, probably a Chapo Trap House listener.

DeletedUser34480

This game is dysfunctional. Ability to have GBs/troops from later ages and Chateau screwed it up.

In any case, if you're diligent in GE I guarantee you you'll win enough RFs to deter all but the very most dedicated aggressors...
You guarantee it by what means?

I actually find a city defense useless. Anyone can beat a defense that is twice (or less, of course) stronger than attacking army. In several case, I've beaten army that is 3+ times stronger than mine.

There is an exception. A player can sit forever in the same Age -- in one's mindset is being pleased by that.

Volodya

This game is dysfunctional. Ability to have GBs/troops from later ages and Chateau screwed it up.

You guarantee it by what means?

I actually find a city defense useless. Anyone can beat a defense that is twice (or less, of course) stronger than attacking army. In several case, I've beaten army that is 3+ times stronger than mine.

There is an exception. A player can sit forever in the same Age -- in one's mindset is being pleased by that.
It's true you need to make a serious commitment to build an effective defense. Mine is currently +727%; I'm hardly ever attacked, far less often successfully. I move slowly through the ages--not to be any sort of "big fish" but to get to know the artwork and nuances of an age before leaving it--but I don't camp.

DeletedUser35475

It is true that city defense is crippled because there doesn't seem to be any way to increase the defenders attack strength but the attack GB's increase both the attack and defense of the attacker. If the attacker has 100% boost and the defender a 100% boost then the attacker is fighting even and the defender at 1/2 strength. If you add that to the AI then it is certainly possible to defeat a city with a defense 2-3 times your attack boost.

Volodya

It is true that city defense is crippled because there doesn't seem to be any way to increase the defenders attack strength but the attack GB's increase both the attack and defense of the attacker. If the attacker has 100% boost and the defender a 100% boost then the attacker is fighting even and the defender at 1/2 strength. If you add that to the AI then it is certainly possible to defeat a city with a defense 2-3 times your attack boost.
The two "fierce resistance gbs--Deal & St Basil--do increase the defender's attack strength. I gather that the new TA does as well, but I haven't built it yet.

ahsay

Yawn. I love how constantly the only solution is DEFENSE. You'll never stop a determined player...so get over it. That doesn't mean you ignore RFs and WTs. Even though I can defeat your 500+ DEFENSE...why attack you if I can hit all the other players with far less DEFENSE???

DEFENSE is a deterrent...not a solution.

You don't want to get plundered? Make friends with the player plundering you...talk to them...ask their advice on how to stop them. If that doesn't work then mess with them every way you can. Change DAs, use decoy goods buildings, vary your collection times, ask your guild for help, ask your neighbor for help, go to the smallest collection times, add them to your friends list, join their guild. Don't whine...solve the problem.

DeletedUser30900

Yawn. I love how constantly the only solution is DEFENSE. You'll never stop a determined player...so get over it. That doesn't mean you ignore RFs and WTs. Even though I can defeat your 500+ DEFENSE...why attack you if I can hit all the other players with far less DEFENSE???

You don't want to get plundered? Make friends with the player plundering you...talk to them...ask their advice on how to stop them. If that doesn't work then mess with them every way you can. Change DAs, use decoy goods buildings, vary your collection times, ask your guild for help, ask your neighbor for help, go to the smallest collection times, add them to your friends list, join their guild. Don't whine...solve the problem.
Nah, crying on the forum is way easier:)

DeletedUser35475

The two "fierce resistance gbs--Deal & St Basil--do increase the defender's attack strength. I gather that the new TA does as well, but I haven't built it yet.

True but since they are not available until after the attack GB's, age wise, they typically lag behind in leveling plus there are only 2 compared to 3 attack GB's. The game is made to give the attacker a good shot at winning no matter what which makes sense since you control the attack not the defense.

Salsuero

True but since they are not available until after the attack GB's, age wise, they typically lag behind in leveling plus there are only 2 compared to 3 attack GB's. The game is made to give the attacker a good shot at winning no matter what which makes sense since you control the attack not the defense.

No GB is "unavailable" compared to any other GB just because it is of a certain age. You only need prints and goods. If you want/need something badly enough, you'll work to obtain it. Only the Statue of Zeus and Cathedral of Aachen come before the first defensive GB... Saint Basil's Cathedral, which shows up along side the Castel del Monte. If you want a better defense, go build a Saint Basil's Cathedral ASAP as it's only 5x5. If you prefer to whine about how much you're getting plundered, that's an option too. The Terracotta Army provides attack and defense boost for both the attacking and defending armies, so that brings the number to 4 attack GBs and 3 defense GBs. The Monastery is available very early in the game and provides a quick 20% defense boost, which is at least better than nothing. But yes, this game is designed to favor the attacker... in a sense... based on the defensive AI. But the defender doesn't lose any troops when beaten, and the lost resources plundered didn't cost anything but time. But why does the game favor attackers? Well, it would be pretty boring if it favored defense. No one would ever attack if they lost "significantly" more times than they won. It would be a constant time and unit drain. The developers want us plundering each other. That's their vision. Like it or not, it's a part of the game that the developers have shown no interest in eliminating, and in some cases, they've tried to bolster it. They've made it so there are new avenues of defending (city shield and delaying it until the end of Iron Age, for example) to help mitigate some of the whining by plunderees, but they don't appear any closer to getting rid of it. So, the same advice stands: get better at not getting plundered, however that works for you... or get used to being a target.

DeletedUser

And if all that doesn't work, keep an eye on their GBs and level any that get close. Some of them get really ticked when you steal their double dip. Especially if you send them a message claiming that you did it "accidentally", but worded so that they know you're messing with them. LOL

Salsuero

And if all that doesn't work, keep an eye on their GBs and level any that get close. Some of them get really ticked when you steal their double dip. Especially if you send them a message claiming that you did it "accidentally", but worded so that they know you're messing with them. LOL

Right... because after all, it's a game and you should find as many ways to have fun with it as possible. Find something negative... turn it into a positive!

DeletedUser35475

No GB is "unavailable" compared to any other GB just because it is of a certain age. You only need prints and goods. If you want/need something badly enough, you'll work to obtain it. Only the Statue of Zeus and Cathedral of Aachen come before the first defensive GB... Saint Basil's Cathedral, which shows up along side the Castel del Monte. If you want a better defense, go build a Saint Basil's Cathedral ASAP as it's only 5x5. If you prefer to whine about how much you're getting plundered, that's an option too. The Terracotta Army provides attack and defense boost for both the attacking and defending armies, so that brings the number to 4 attack GBs and 3 defense GBs. The Monastery is available very early in the game and provides a quick 20% defense boost, which is at least better than nothing. But yes, this game is designed to favor the attacker... in a sense... based on the defensive AI. But the defender doesn't lose any troops when beaten, and the lost resources plundered didn't cost anything but time. But why does the game favor attackers? Well, it would be pretty boring if it favored defense. No one would ever attack if they lost "significantly" more times than they won. It would be a constant time and unit drain. The developers want us plundering each other. That's their vision. Like it or not, it's a part of the game that the developers have shown no interest in eliminating, and in some cases, they've tried to bolster it. They've made it so there are new avenues of defending (city shield and delaying it until the end of Iron Age, for example) to help mitigate some of the whining by plunderees, but they don't appear any closer to getting rid of it. So, the same advice stands: get better at not getting plundered, however that works for you... or get used to being a target.

Most people don't play like you where you get buildings way ahead of the age you are. The average player plays the game as it was designed, moving through the ages and building the GB's as they go up in age so most people have a Zeus way before they have a Deal Castle.

Salsuero

Most people don't play like you where you get buildings way ahead of the age you are.

Proof?

How is Saint Basil's Cathedral (you know... the GB I was advocating for) "way ahead" of any age of any player eligible to be plundered? At worst, it's three ages ahead of the bottom rung of those players in Iron Age. But if you choose to camp in Iron Age for long enough to matter, you're probably going to work on later-age GBs while doing so, which means it probably doesn't apply to that age for very long. If you are in EMA, that means you only need to build that specific GB two ages early. I don't know that this honestly qualifies as "way ahead", though I'd certainly agree to something more like "a bit ahead" to be fair.

The average player

Ok, I'll take your assertion that I'm above average as I'm specifically advocating for others to become so in my comment. I'm not speaking just to average players, so you got me there.

as it was designed

It wasn't designed to allow people to get GBs ahead of their age? Have you reported this bug?

building the GB's as they go up in age

So... most people don't have The Arc in this game before they reach the Future Era? We should exclude anyone who cannot be plundered from your metrics since they don't apply to this conversation as a whole. Still most people? You're really going to tell me that most people in this game never build not one single GB ahead of their age... not even just one age ahead? Most? Really? Proof, please.

most people have a Zeus way before they have a Deal Castle.

That's probably a true statement, though you again have provided no proof. I also never mentioned the Deal Castle in my comment -- at all... not once.

Last edited:

DeletedUser26775

I'm in the PM Era and I have a "neighbor" in Contemp Era that likes to spank me like a red headed stepchild. Since when do I have to be beat by someone in a greater Era than me?

Salsuero

I'm in the PM Era and I have a "neighbor" in Contemp Era that likes to spank me like a red headed stepchild. Since when do I have to be beat by someone in a greater Era than me?

You appear not to have been around when this was actually the norm... and you could be in the Iron Age, facing a Future Era plunderer... or 10 of them, for example. They actually did away with this, but two things remain. First, they try to fill hoods... or as close to full as reasonably possible. Sometimes there aren't enough players in a given age to create enough hoods to balance only one age into them, so they have split hoods to combine the leftovers of two neighboring ages. Second, any player can age up at any time and it is quite possible that your CE foe aged up after joining your hood as a PME player. I'm not saying this is what happened, but it's a very plausible explanation when you have a player in your hood in a higher age than you. Fortunately, you're usually only stuck with most of the members of your hood for two weeks until they rotate again (except during certain events where they don't rotate for the entirety of the event). But there's nothing stopping you from beating him back, short of a lack of skill, motivation, and/or time, so I suggest you get to it!

Volodya

Most people don't play like you where you get buildings way ahead of the age you are. The average player plays the game as it was designed, moving through the ages and building the GB's as they go up in age so most people have a Zeus way before they have a Deal Castle.
I agree up to a point, in that I would actually prefer it if it wasn't possible to build a gb before its age. Saying that players who do that are acting contrary to the "design" of the game is silly though; that ship sailed long ago. I suspect that the game designers never imagined that strategy would become as common as it in fact is, but clearly they knew that building age-inappropriate gbs was possible and they were ok with that. It would've been simple to design the game so it wasn't possible.

RazorbackPirate

I agree up to a point, in that I would actually prefer it if it wasn't possible to build a gb before its age. Saying that players who do that are acting contrary to the "design" of the game is silly though; that ship sailed long ago. I suspect that the game designers never imagined that strategy would become as common as it in fact is, but clearly they knew that building age-inappropriate gbs was possible and they were ok with that. It would've been simple to design the game so it wasn't possible.
I don't understand why people continue to hang on to this fallacy. Why do people see building GB and/or acquiring out of age resources as contrary to the game? It's a fundamental part of the game.

In FoE, you build a city that starts out with Stone Age technology. Through research of new technologies you are able to progress your city through the ages. Your city exists in a universe of other cities, just like yours, researching their way from Stone Age tech all the way to Virtual Future tech.

You can interact with these other cities when they are members of 3 distinct groups. You can donate to each other's GBs, you can trade with each other in the market, you can aid each other, you can attack and plunder if neighbors, you can visit taverns if friends.

Your neighborhood, about 70-75 cities, is comprised of other cities at your same level of technical research and progression, primarily those in your same age. You have no control over who shows up in your neighborhood which is reshuffled bi-weekly.

Your Guild, up to 80 cities, which depending on the composition of the guild, can have cities at any level of technical research and progression, and from any age. You get the cities with the guild you join, which change as members leave or join your guild, or you change guilds.

Your Friends, up to 140, like your guild, can have cities at any level of technical research and progression, and be from any age. It all depends on who you invite and who you accept friend requests from. These cities will change as you add and remove friends from your list.

All the Tech Tree Controls is the tech you can be self-sufficient in. We can donate to GBs in other cities in other ages, we have access to those Blueprints early. We can trade in the market with other cities in other ages, we have access to the goods we need to build them.

You have to deny there are other cities, other cities with other tech, or that we can trade with other cities with other tech to think it's a violation of the game. Not to mention you can get any of that with diamonds anyway.

It's not very different than what Nation States do today. If you're a developing nation, you don't discover oil, then invent what you need to extract, refine, and use oil. You discover oil then import all the technology you need to exploit it. Which yes, sometimes gives us cities with grass huts built next to oil refineries.

Last edited:

Salsuero

Your neighborhood, about 70-75 cities, is comprised of other cities at your same level of technical research and progression, primarily those in your same age. You have no control over who shows up in your neighborhood which is reshuffled bi-weekly.

And in fact, this is a new development that was introduced because bottom of the hood neighbors complained about being outmatched by top of the hood neighbors. Originally, the neighborhood wasn't even designed to feature same age only connections.

It's not very different than what Nation States do today.

I've tried to explain this analogy many times, but it never seems to stick.

You can develop your own tech or you can import it from others who have developed it. You aren't a town in a bubble. You exist among other towns. Just because you haven't developed your own mechanisms for creating a tech (or refining a good) domestically doesn't mean you are unaware of its creation and/or unable to gain use of it through trade or other means of acquisition. You don't have to learn to produce things locally if you can have outside investors show up at your town hall with the products you can't produce locally in tow.

Sadly, this concept probably won't stick this time either. Always the same arguments.