• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

What Do You Hate Most About FoE?

DeletedUser

This is a problem with how this game is designed for some players-not everyone-just some. Your advise is telling me to play the game poorly-don't advance well-don't play the game!
No, this is a problem with how you play the game. You're already playing it poorly, from what you've said, they're telling you to play it better. Don't advance too quickly.
I'm saying that this system as designed it is impossible to defend your city, no matter what you do, because the strength of your opponent is so much greater, makes this game less fun! My opponents have attacking bonus of 775% and 434% against my 94%-there is no defense for this.
How many of your neighbors have this advantage? All of them? One of them? Half of them? You have 45+million points, so to be in the lower half of the neighborhood you must be in one of the last couple of eras. And your GBs are not leveled very high for that many points. I'm curious as to what your city looks like, but I don't have a city on Greifental. Your defense is to collect on time and quit moving up in era until you are developed enough to be in the top half of a neighborhood!

Brutusone

No, this is a problem with how you play the game. You're already playing it poorly, from what you've said, they're telling you to play it better. Don't advance too quickly.

How many of your neighbors have this advantage? All of them? One of them? Half of them? You have 45+million points, so to be in the lower half of the neighborhood you must be in one of the last couple of eras. And your GBs are not leveled very high for that many points. I'm curious as to what your city looks like, but I don't have a city on Greifental. Your defense is to collect on time and quit moving up in era until you are developed enough to be in the top half of a neighborhood!
So your advice is that I should just quit playing the game??????? Dismantle my city, leave my guild (since I won't be any help to them anyway-because anything I do in the guild will increase my point total) and come back in a year or two. Please tell me you don't work as a counselor somewhere?!?!

DeletedUser36572

Your logic escapes me!!! First and foremost, this thread is "What do you hate most about FOE" It's not what I like about it, how much I enjoy the game, or how wonderfully created it is. That is not the thread we are in. This is a problem with how this game is designed for some players-not everyone-just some. Your advise is telling me to play the game poorly-don't advance well-don't play the game! I'm saying that this system as designed it is impossible to defend your city, no matter what you do, because the strength of your opponent is so much greater, makes this game less fun! My opponents have attacking bonus of 775% and 434% against my 94%-there is no defense for this. And, because I'm such a great player, I will be always in the victim category. Gee, I just don't know why but that is not fun! That is all I'm saying here.

It has nothing to do with game design ... You could put my Iron Age city in your neighborhood with the same players, and they couldn’t plunder me.

That’s because I have 443,000 Tavern Silver and could easily afford the City Defense Shield.

It’s never about what they have or can do ... And will always be about what you don’t have or don’t do.

If the thing you dislike the most about the game ... Is that after several years of gameplay, you still haven’t figured out any effective way to defend yourself ... Well, I could understand that :rolleyes:

Edit:
If you are having problems surviving in the game, just talk to some of the better players. I have found they are very helpful in providing others with options they just may not have thought of.

No matter how you like to play ... We are all playing the same game.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

So your advice is that I should just quit playing the game??????? Dismantle my city, leave my guild
Where are you getting that from anything anyone here has said? We're telling you to quit advancing on the tech tree! Build up your GBs and keep battling and doing GE/GvG and increasing your stock of goods/FP/coins/supplies. Then when you've built up to where you are consistently in the upper tier of neighborhoods, you can think about advancing in era/on the tech tree again.

Emberguard

That doesn't really explain why I've never been in the upper half of a neighborhood-Also, If I was even close to my plunderer I would stand a chance against them; presently one is 430,000,000 pts ahead of me and the other is 280,000,000 pts-I mean this is ridiculous!!
I didn’t focus on points because there is nothing about points and neighbourhood position that will help fix your problem if that’s what we’re focusing on. Focus on fixing your cities weaknesses and the points will come as a result of that without ever giving the points a thought

My point was if you know what the plunderer can’t touch then you can use that information to ensure your city either can’t be taken from even if the attacker is successful -or- that what is taken is as small as possible

Your logic escapes me!!! First and foremost, this thread is "What do you hate most about FOE" It's not what I like about it, how much I enjoy the game, or how wonderfully created it is. That is not the thread we are in. This is a problem with how this game is designed for some players-not everyone-just some.
I know, I was just hoping to help you with the problems you’re experiencing. I don’t expect you to love being plundered, but it doesn’t have to be as a victim. It can be as a player countering their foe and successfully defending even after the enemy is over the walls. Cause regardless of what you do your opponent is going to play to win and they sound like they’re doing a pretty good job at it so far

DeletedUser36572

So your advice is that I should just quit playing the game??????? Dismantle my city, leave my guild (since I won't be any help to them anyway-because anything I do in the guild will increase my point total) and come back in a year or two. Please tell me you don't work as a counselor somewhere?!?!

To the contrary, Stephen’s advice (as well as Emberguard, Pirate and myself) was to ditch the defeatist attitude, stop figuring out all the ways you can fail ... And start figuring out what it takes to succeed.

Stop being a perpetual victim, improve your city, become a better asset to your guild mates ... Slow down, and take the year or two necessary to fix all the stuff you screwed up.

Learn how to play the game ... ;)

RazorbackPirate

If that's what you got from what @Stephen Longshanks wrote, you're beyond help. Good luck with your complaint.

Brutusone

I didn’t focus on points because there is nothing about points and neighbourhood position that will help fix your problem if that’s what we’re focusing on. Focus on fixing your cities weaknesses and the points will come as a result of that without ever giving the points a thought

My point was if you know what the plunderer can’t touch then you can use that information to ensure your city either can’t be taken from even if the attacker is successful -or- that what is taken is as small as possible

I know, I was just hoping to help you with the problems you’re experiencing. I don’t expect you to love being plundered, but it doesn’t have to be as a victim. It can be as a player countering their foe and successfully defending even after the enemy is over the walls. Cause regardless of what you do your opponent is going to play to win and they sound like they’re doing a pretty good job at it so far
Dear Emberguard: Close to being good advise! You are addressing a person feelings, rather than any issue that is being raised. That was a step in the right. There is hope for you as a counselor! The problem is that Longshanks, Blacksand, and yourself really are just blaming the victim and not really dealing with any issue that was raised. First, if you read all of threads in this-you see repeatedly I was told I didn't know how to play the game and it was all my fault. No one really asked what steps I had already taken to solve this issue for me. So all the responses where given out of ignorance of my situation. Out of 84000 players in my world I'm 283rd-puts me in the top 1/3rd of one percent for my world. (Does that sound like someone who doesn't know how to play the game.) I'm on my last two technologies in Space Age. (Where do you all stand?) Secondly, which I will repeat again, I didn't start this thread-I saw the question and answered from my experience of playing this game for more than two years. It is my observation, which makes it real only for me-but it is my reality. Its not right nor wrong it is what it is. Lastly, if a person states facts-response to the facts-if nothing else it make them feel that at least you are hearing what they are saying. Again go back and look at the responses I receive-Did they address what I was feeling? (And I mean address them well!)-Did anyone response to the facts that were stated-(In any meaningful way!) And, was my intelligence questioned!?!?

RazorbackPirate

Dear Emberguard: Close to being good advise! You are addressing a person feelings, rather than any issue that is being raised. That was a step in the right. There is hope for you as a counselor! The problem is that Longshanks, Blacksand, and yourself really are just blaming the victim and not really dealing with any issue that was raised. First, if you read all of threads in this-you see repeatedly I was told I didn't know how to play the game and it was all my fault. No one really asked what steps I had already taken to solve this issue for me. So all the responses where given out of ignorance of my situation. Out of 84000 players in my world I'm 283rd-puts me in the top 1/3rd of one percent for my world. (Does that sound like someone who doesn't know how to play the game.) I'm on my last two technologies in Space Age. (Where do you all stand?) Secondly, which I will repeat again, I didn't start this thread-I saw the question and answered from my experience of playing this game for more than two years. It is my observation, which makes it real only for me-but it is my reality. Its not right nor wrong it is what it is. Lastly, if a person states facts-response to the facts-if nothing else it make them feel that at least you are hearing what they are saying. Again go back and look at the responses I receive-Did they address what I was feeling? (And I mean address them well!)-Did anyone response to the facts that were stated-(In any meaningful way!) And, was my intelligence questioned!?!?
Seriously, who cares what you're feeling? Your feelings are irrelevant to the issue you're complaining about. You may also think the advice that's been given so far is 'blaming the victim' but if you, as the victim, have 100% control over your situation, but fail to address your situation, then whose fault is it? Yes, we're blaming you, because you've decided to play the game in a way that makes you a victim.

That you don't like the truth, doesn't make it less the truth.

Again, it's clear you don't want to do anything about it, which always, for me at least makes your feelings irrelevant. As such I won't address your feelings, as they have no bearing on your issue, or what's required to to fix your issue. Seeing as you're goal is to be the victim in the hood, I don't care about how you feel about your victimhood.

DeletedUser36572

Would it help if I were to tell you that you rank in the Top 5 of the most incorrigible people I have ever encountered?

Good Luck In Your Endeavors.

Emberguard

[...] No one really asked what steps I had already taken to solve this issue for me. [...]
In my first post to you I asked “What methods are you using to counter or limit this?“ followed by a list of what a plundered can’t touch

Unless I’ve missed it in your posts you haven’t yet answered that question. Perhaps you didn’t see the first line I wrote

Dear Emberguard: Close to being good advise! You are addressing a person feelings, rather than any issue that is being raised. That was a step in the right. There is hope for you as a counselor! The problem is that Longshanks, Blacksand, and yourself really are just blaming the victim and not really dealing with any issue that was raised. First, if you read all of threads in this-you see repeatedly I was told I didn't know how to play the game and it was all my fault. No one really asked what steps I had already taken to solve this issue for me. So all the responses where given out of ignorance of my situation.
I don’t blame you for being plundered. I don’t blame the plunderer for being successful. Life isn’t a series of pure success. Losing can be a good thing if you let it teach you how to improve. There’s also the matter of perspective. I’m not bothered by whether I’m plundered. I consider it too insignificant a detail to be worth worrying about when I can be putting my energy into min/max and counter strategy. But it does bother you so that’s the issue we’ll tackle

Last edited:

Brutusone

In my first post to you I asked “What methods are you using to counter or limit this?“ followed by a list of what a plundered can’t touch

Unless I’ve missed it in your posts you haven’t yet answered that question. Perhaps you didn’t see the first line I wrote

I don’t blame you for being plundered. I don’t blame the plunderer for being successful. Life isn’t a series of pure success. Losing can be a good thing if you let it teach you how to improve. There’s also the matter of perspective. I’m not bothered by whether I’m plundered. I consider it too insignificant a detail to be worth worrying about when I can be putting my energy into min/max and counter strategy. But it does bother you so that’s the issue we’ll tackle
I'm sorry about not answering your question, I was dealing with others at the same time-that was all talk and no real input-my mistake. Everything I produce is on a 24hr cycle gives a plunderer a very small window to take anything for their efforts. (with the exception of housing-I've normal put it off roads so I get the population but miss out on the coin production-had to put some of it back to build up coin) I've increase the defense ^% to over 1,000%-but can't do anything else to increase the attack %. (All of my Great Building are at their highest possible level.) I've noticed that all my great advisers never shared where they were at in their world rankings and what era their were currently in! Anyway FOE could fix this problem, when they create a neighborhood they could check to see where people stood previously. They could make it so that 50% of the time you were in the top half of the neighborhood-and 50% you were in the bottom half-by doing this everyone gets to play both side of the field. This would work except for the top 40 or 50 players in each world. (Since it is impossible for them to be in the lower section of any neighborhood.) When you play a game for over two years and have never been in the top half of any neighborhood it gets a little frustrating. And, you see that was the questioned asked-what did you hate about FOE. I like things to be fair for everyone-I think FOE has loss players because of this fact-They somewhat addressed it by grouping people that was closer together in strength-(They did this about a year ago, I think.)That really helped allot of players-they need to go one step further!

DeletedUser36572

I'm sorry about not answering your question, I was dealing with others at the same time-that was all talk and no real input-my mistake. Everything I produce is on a 24hr cycle gives a plunderer a very small window to take anything for their efforts. (with the exception of housing-I've normal put it off roads so I get the population but miss out on the coin production-had to put some of it back to build up coin) I've increase the defense ^% to over 1,000%-but can't do anything else to increase the attack %. (All of my Great Building are at their highest possible level.) I've noticed that all my great advisers never shared where they were at in their world rankings and what era their were currently in! Anyway FOE could fix this problem, when they create a neighborhood they could check to see where people stood previously. They could make it so that 50% of the time you were in the top half of the neighborhood-and 50% you were in the bottom half-by doing this everyone gets to play both side of the field. This would work except for the top 40 or 50 players in each world. (Since it is impossible for them to be in the lower section of any neighborhood.) When you play a game for over two years and have never been in the top half of any neighborhood it gets a little frustrating. And, you see that was the questioned asked-what did you hate about FOE. I like things to be fair for everyone-I think FOE has loss players because of this fact-They somewhat addressed it by grouping people that was closer together in strength-(They did this about a year ago, I think.)That really helped allot of players-they need to go one step further!

There is far less plunder risk involved if you use Great Buildings instead of housing to provide the required population.

You start as early as the Tower of Babel, and then use Great Buildings such as the Capital and Inno. You can subsidize the coin loss using other Great Buildings like the Cathedral of Aachen and so on, accessing more effective use of space.

Placing and leveling those Great Buildings will also provide more points and gain you higher placement in your neighborhood. It also frees up space, that can be used for more productive options that better support the overall well-being of your city.

In other words ... Having a house not connected to a road is a waste of space. Almost every square in your city should be serving more than one purpose. Then in the space you free up you can put single purpose buildings like the Ritual Flame (Defense) or Wishing Well (Resources).

Edit:
You can also focus on Event Buildings for multi-purpose population. Athletic Quarters and Contestant Estates offer population, gold, and options such as defense or improved resources. They can be motivated and protected from plundering.

The game provides you with all the tools you need ... And no matter how poor your defense may be, it’s hard to get plundered when there is nothing for them to plunder in the first place.

It’s really funny when you keep trading blows attacking a neighbor, until you visit each others’ cities and figure out neither of you have more than 2 buildings that could be plundered, and those buildings don’t provide anything worth the effort in the first place.

If you are having problems with buildings that can be motivated being plundered, there are measures you can take. You can gut your Friends List of inactive players who are not aiding you, and you can find ways to replace cultural buildings and bobbles (trees or whatever) that really just rob aiding that could serve a better purpose. There is a strategy to every little part of this game, and if you ignore it, you will struggle.

RazorbackPirate

Currently I have St Basil, Deal Castle and Terra Cotta Army that gives me a 94% attack boost

I've increase the defense ^% to over 1,000%-but can't do anything else to increase the attack %. (All of my Great Building are at their highest possible level.)
I find these two statements to be in conflict. What are your actual numbers? Where does your A/D come from? What are the actual levels of your GBs?
I was dealing with others at the same time-that was all talk and no real input-my mistake.
Complete crap! You've been given tons of great input, but it would require you to admit you're responsible. No, can't be anything you've done, you're the bestest player ever! There certainly can't be anything anyone's telling you that could fix the issue. Nope, it's Inno's fault in the ranking algorithm. All-talk, no input? Crap. Complete crap.
I've noticed that all my great advisers never shared where they were at in their world rankings and what era their were currently in!
I didn't give you those, because they're irrelevant to your issue. The issue is where you're ranked in your hood. You're world ranking has no relevance to how hoods are selected and ranked. I also didn't discuss age because that's also irrelevant to your issue. Hoods are pulled from those in the same age.

I'm ranked #1 in both of my hoods. That's the only relevant piece of information for this discussion. You can't even crack the top half. How is you're #284 helping you? It's not. It makes no difference to this discussion. But sure, keep pissing on the advice of others. You know everything there is to know.
Anyway FOE could fix this problem, when they create a neighborhood they could check to see where people stood previously. They could make it so that 50% of the time you were in the top half of the neighborhood-and 50% you were in the bottom half-by doing this everyone gets to play both side of the field.
They could, but why should they? Why should you get a trophy for having a city that consistently ranks in the bottom?

"Hey daddy! I got a trophy for coming in 4th place!"
"How many people in the race, honey?"
"Four."
"They gave you a trophy for being last?"

This would work except for the top 40 or 50 players in each world. (Since it is impossible for them to be in the lower section of any neighborhood.)
This is incorrect. It would work except for the top 40 or 50 players in each AGE. You keep thinking you're world ranking makes a difference here, it doesn't.
When you play a game for over two years and have never been in the top half of any neighborhood it gets a little frustrating. And, you see that was the questioned asked-what did you hate about FOE. I like things to be fair for everyone-I think FOE has loss players because of this fact-They somewhat addressed it by grouping people that was closer together in strength-(They did this about a year ago, I think.)That really helped allot of players-they need to go one step further!
Poor you. I only played for about 3 months before I figured out how to get out the the bottom half of my hood, about 6 to crack the top 5. Can't remember the last time I saw anything less than top 3. Both of my cities are about 18 months old.

DeletedUser36572

When you play a game for over two years and have never been in the top half of any neighborhood it gets a little frustrating. And, you see that was the questioned asked-what did you hate about FOE. I like things to be fair for everyone-I think FOE has loss players because of this fact-They somewhat addressed it by grouping people that was closer together in strength-(They did this about a year ago, I think.)That really helped allot of players-they need to go one step further!

If you are in the top third of the global rankings, that still isn’t going to put you in the top third of the players in your current Age.

That’s obvious, and why you are not placed higher in your neighborhood.

The people ranked above you have done what is necessary to earn their superiority, and have every right to use it against you.

“Fair” is nothing more than the first four letters of “Fairytale”.

qaccy

Plundering really has very little impact in this game, even if it happens to you. We have so many buildings in our cities that losing a collection or two, even if it's every day, is hardly going to stop anybody's progress. If it does, I'd consider changing when I collect in order to be sure nothing is sitting out. If you're running 24h productions, a plunderer just has to catch you once and then they know exactly when to check in each day to get you again. And if they play with animations turned on, they'll even know before attacking you if you have something available to plunder (a production building that's ready or idle is not animated). Plundering is so simple to prevent, and at the same time such a small inconvenience when it happens, that I've been playing since 2013 and I still don't understand why people get so upset over it when it happens to them.

For my part, the thing I hate most about FoE is everything to do with the Arc. I'll leave it at that.

DeletedUser30312

@brutusone some advice:

You've got a decent foundation for your city, but like others have said, slow down. You're near the end of SAM, but struggling against your neighbors, so more tech research isn't going to help, except maybe military. Don't rush into the next age when it's released. Get rid of your textile mills. You shouldn't need them at all at your point in the game. You have several event buildings that can make goods when motivated, a LoA, and FoD, and your WWs. You might want to add a St Mark's to your city if you need goods, or if you're finding yourself low on coin.

Get an Arc. Your GBs are generally in the teens, which isn't bad at all, but I'm sure your strongest neighbors probably have GBs that are 50s, 60s, 70s, or more. Especially where attack is concerned. A big Arc will help you push your GBs higher and let you compete better.

If you need population, work on your Inno. If you need more population than that, build the Habitat to supplement the Inno, but you've got a good number of event buildings that should be producing a decent amount of population on their own. Capitol is junk and should be avoided. The Babel isn't going to produce any meaningful population for you in SAM, but you might still find the goods from it useful.

Consider building the AO too. Its critical hit ability works on defense which will help you against your neighbors' attacks.

Emberguard

Everything I produce is on a 24hr cycle gives a plunderer a very small window to take anything for their efforts. (with the exception of housing-I've normal put it off roads so I get the population but miss out on the coin production-had to put some of it back to build up coin) I've increase the defense ^% to over 1,000%-but can't do anything else to increase the attack %. (All of my Great Building are at their highest possible level.)
1000%+ on defence is pretty impressive. Well done.

However in this game I consider that to be a small win rather then a big win. It’s the difference between cutting back on coffee to save pennies or increasing your hourly revenue through pay rise and entrepreneurship. Both will get you money for bills, but one is restricted by how much coffee you can eliminate from your lifestyle while the other raises your income in a way that doesn’t have a hard cap and can keep improving with time

Evaluating the value of defence structures
How much land are you dedicating to defences? Are those event buildings or ritual flames and Great Buildings?

If you took out every defence building (GBs included) that doesn’t also provide something in addition to that defence from your city how much land would you free up? What could you produce in that land?

Because here’s the kicker - in order for your defences to be worth keeping they need to successfully protect more on a consistent basis then whatever that land could have produced if it wasn’t defence structures. At the same time your defences need the GBs to provide the attack portion to defence if they’re to mean anything when up against your toughest opponents
(1) How much do you currently lose from being plundered?

(2) Assume for the moment every attacker both failed and successful are to plunder (they won’t but for now worst case scenario) - how much would you lose in comparison from plunderers if you had no direct defence?

Now if you absolutely must have a defence how would you feel about this strategy? Keeping in mind it’d require continual maintenance for as long as you play:

Guild Expedition provides a decent amount of diamonds if you can consistently complete lvl 4. Would you be able to get enough diamond income from GE to activate a 72 hr tavern shield (even if only once every week) and during the tavern shield period used the 50 diamond slot for any quests requiring tavern boosts? That tavern shield at worst gives 2 days guarantee no plundering, at best 3 days depending on when you were last attacked (in which case would prevent additional plunderers for the first day and then no plunderers for the other two days)

If you were consistently immune from plundering for almost half the week (tavern shield 72 hr) what would be your losses then? Are you able to get enough tavern silver to consistently put up that shield once every week with a bit to spare?

Goods Building Output
- any techtree goods building you have. If you absolutely can’t collect on time in a 24 hr cycle and will be plundered then change to 8 hr cycles. If you can get two lots of 8 hrs in then you produce the same as a single 24 hr cycle. But if plundered you lose half only

Your city layout:
- I haven’t looked up your city yet. But if I took a look do you think the layout could be made more efficient to fit more buildings in? The more buildings you can fit the less a plunderer getting through will impact your city. The majority (not all, just most) that hate plundering could increase their available space (and therefore production output) by 30-50% just by reshuffling the buildings

If keeping your defence structures
Take the advice the others gave above. Get an Arc hyper lvl’d so you can increase the lvls of your defence GBs easier. Raise the defence GBs to lvl 50-80. Get a Arctic Orangery. Slowly replace buildings in your city (starting with least productive) with any event building that has defence + something else

I'm sorry about not answering your question, I was dealing with others at the same time-that was all talk and no real input-my mistake.
There was input in what they were saying. It wasn’t what you wanted to hear and certainly wasn’t silver tongued. When given advice or input we have one of two choices. React to how it’s delivered, or react to what’s being said. Sure it’s nicer to be told something in a certain way but it doesn’t change the advice needed to improve.

Last edited:

Volodya

Bottom line, advancing to SAM with the present development of your city was a fundamental mistake. Sorry if you don't want to hear that. Obviously you can't undo it, but you CAN keep from repeating it when Ceres is introduced. Stay in Mars several months (at least) while many or most of the players ahead of you now advance to the next age and I guarantee you you'll be in the top half of your neighborhood; quite possibly much higher.

I speak from experience. I have 54 million ranking points; same ballpark as you. I'm 268 on my world; again, same ballpark. I can't remember the last time I was out of the top 10 in my hood; sometimes I'm first or second.

This isn't just blind luck.

I've been playing a long time; my approach is to always remain one age behind the current highest one. This suits my temperament; I appreciate the visual aspects of FoE and like to get to know each age before leaving it. I'm in Virtual Future. I could advance to Mars tomorrow, but I won't. Not tomorrow, not next week, not next month. I won't advance to SAM until Ceres is on the verge of being released. If you try this approach, your "problems" will disappear in due course.

Guaranteed

Last edited: