• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

GBG: Current state of affairs (a protest...)

xivarmy

The one thing everyone can say is writing about GbG is something plenty of Foe players like to do. ;)
But less and less ;) It was fun and different when it was new. It has taken the trajectory of GvG since though.

There are still those guilds that GBG *is* the game. And if all you ever see recently is diamond you might not realize how the feature as a whole is trending.

But when you look at a platinum round these days you're absolutely right that it's *not* every 4 hours. Rather it's often how many days until there's even conflict on the map. It's *that dead*. Say comparable to what a Silver group looked like a year ago.

The catch is if you do *anything* you get pushed up to the diamond rounds where it *is* usually governed by the 4 hour timer. There is no in-between-land where guilds that are active but not crazy strong meet in like-competition. And so people either gravitate to the diamond guilds. Or to playing it less and less, because why bother ;) It is not in a healthy state as a whole.

Mor-Rioghain

When I first started playing the terms small, medium, and large guild referred to the number of people in the guild. Small was under 35-40, medium 40-60-ish, and large was 60+. I suppose the range of those numbers was meant to allow for how active they were in terms of both GvG and GE (this was long before BG). Guilds that were over 70 members were often referred to as Monster Guilds.

I would have to guess that those definitions have undergone some fair bit of change with the introduction of the battlegrounds feature but I don't really sow how/why the guild's rankings would having anything at all to do with the 'size,' i.e., small, of it. I mean, a medium guild by the above definition could very reasonably achieve the high(er) battleground league(s), play GvG regularly, and perform well in the expedition if most/all of the players were active. I guess it's really just a matter of interpretation dependent upon the circumstances.

Dursland

Do players join a small guild because they want to be very active, and win GbG Diamond 1000 lp ?
They sure do. There's a 4 player guild in Dilmun that's ranked 10 and in Diamond League, or were last season. They dropped back to Platinum but yup small guilds surely can and do compete in diamond.

Angry.Blanket

They sure do. There's a 4 player guild in Dilmun that's ranked 10 and in Diamond League, or were last season. They dropped back to Platinum but yup small guilds surely can and do compete in diamond.
Why did they drop back to Platinum if they won diamond 1000 lp ? I cant imagine anyone joining a small guild because they want to be a very active player in GbG.
How many Diamond guilds in Dilmun ?

Johnny B. Goode

I will say that I was excited when GBG was introduced. That excitement quickly subsided, however, when I saw what players were going to make of it. @xivarmy is pretty right on when he says that there's really no middle ground between the very active Diamond levels and the very mild activity of the lower levels (for the most part, I know there are a few exceptions). That has been happening for quite a long time, because I rarely play GBG anymore and it was clear to me that's what was happening when I did play. To me GE is more fun, both as a solo guild and in a guild that competes for the weekly championship. You are matched against guilds that are roughly the same size, and you can play it as seriously or as casually as you want. If I wanted the slam, bang action in a game, I surely wouldn't choose FoE. There are plenty of games that have that as their main feature. What I have always found appealing about FoE is that you can play at your own pace and with your own style. Something that you really can't do if you're in a top GvG and/or GBG guild. Consequently, anyone not "serious" about those features quickly finds that they aren't really that much fun comparatively. I get much more enjoyment out of GE and PVP Arena than I ever did out of GvG/GBG. And I don't have to tie myself to a specific time of day, or play by someone else's schedule.

Personally, I think Inno has to try again to come up with a feature that players will enjoy but that won't go down the road that both GvG and GBG went down.

xivarmy

I will say that I was excited when GBG was introduced. That excitement quickly subsided, however, when I saw what players were going to make of it. @xivarmy is pretty right on when he says that there's really no middle ground between the very active Diamond levels and the very mild activity of the lower levels (for the most part, I know there are a few exceptions). That has been happening for quite a long time, because I rarely play GBG anymore and it was clear to me that's what was happening when I did play. To me GE is more fun, both as a solo guild and in a guild that competes for the weekly championship. You are matched against guilds that are roughly the same size, and you can play it as seriously or as casually as you want. If I wanted the slam, bang action in a game, I surely wouldn't choose FoE. There are plenty of games that have that as their main feature. What I have always found appealing about FoE is that you can play at your own pace and with your own style. Something that you really can't do if you're in a top GvG and/or GBG guild. Consequently, anyone not "serious" about those features quickly finds that they aren't really that much fun comparatively. I get much more enjoyment out of GE and PVP Arena than I ever did out of GvG/GBG. And I don't have to tie myself to a specific time of day, or play by someone else's schedule.

Personally, I think Inno has to try again to come up with a feature that players will enjoy but that won't go down the road that both GvG and GBG went down.
It might vary on how long it took to collapse from world to world.

Long after I realized diamond was not going to be my cup of tea, platinum was still a place where fun happened. And I was content to sometimes win platinum, and then take a season off in diamond.

But then platinum started getting less fun as more and more guilds that couldn't hack it in diamond were actively avoiding going there by tanking their platinum round.

Then "the fun" was at the border of platinum and gold where guilds would still fight not to demote; with the catch being you had to be pretty weak or you'd just rise to the even-easier high platinum (for me, pretty much a solo guild) to "belong" there and have fun.

Now I usually can hang onto low-platinum by playing 1-2 days a week if I care :p There was actually a mid-platinum round this season that my "main" 's guild that's now barely active was in danger of falling to gold with a few days to go because the top guild decided to HQ us at some point while an even less active guild on the other side of the map was being left alone. 1 night's work later we almost promoted to diamond because noone fought to take the map back (on the very last day the guild holding #1 decided they wanted to keep it after all I guess :p or maybe they messed up on the math to force us to take first as punishment ;))

The place I still have fun in GBG is on Carthage. Partly because it was a new world, and the MMR system works better before it saturates - and you have at least a good year from a world start of "interesting GBG" rounds, no matter what your guild strength is.

But partly also because I set myself up with advanced troops to handle extreme attrition and have friends who did the same. So we can happily fight from HQ if we have to in diamond and take some fun in messing up people's perfect swap dreams ;) Inject a little chaos into the farming grounds :)

Dursland

Why did they drop back to Platinum if they won diamond 1000 lp ? I cant imagine anyone joining a small guild because they want to be a very active player in GbG.
How many Diamond guilds in Dilmun ?
They weren't at 1000 LP, Dilmun is still a new world. They were just barely Diamond then took 4th in last GBG season (my guild was there with them too so I know) so dropped back to Platinum.

They will probably go back and forth but yep small guilds can compete in diamond and get a sizable number of hits. It's all about the players. If you have 4 people on that can do 100+ attrition you'll go far.

UP ONLINE

un less there cheating I can't see myself doing 100 + battles a day that's CRAZY I would probably fall asleep hitting 50 Battles at a time

Dursland

un less there cheating I can't see myself doing 100 + battles a day that's CRAZY I would probably fall asleep hitting 50 Battles at a time
They're not cheating, all 4 players are in indy with hover tanks. Even with Howitzers having blast the 1.5x range advantage means you get 2-3 hits on them before they get in range. So yea 100+ attrition relatively easy to get in that situation.

It also keeps their siege camp costs all in the same era, which lets them max out SCs all the time.

Dominator - X

Our guild used to be proud of calling itself "The strongest little guild in our server"! By the way things have been going, we'll soon be "The latest strongest little guild to disband"... :/
Change happens. History (RL and FOE) is replete with it. One man's defeat is another man's victory. One man's garbage is another man's treasure. One man's loss is another man's gain. See the pattern?

You may not like the "change" as it does not fit your schedule or ideal of what a guild should be. Others may not notice much of a difference, while others still, may want more of this "change" you speak of. Those are the members who left. They left because you (the guild you belong to) could not provide what they were wanting to get out of FOE. Another guild, in their opinion, can. Not much different than an employee seeking a better job, position or compensation. One can either whine about losing their employees to a company who offers more, or they themselves can offer a better circumstance for those very employees and or potential future employees. If they can't, they find a way to manage despite the circumstances, they merge or they fold. Guilds/members are not much different.

Change happens. You can either roll with it or become roiled by it.

Dominator - X

Many of us do several hundred fights each rotation in GBG - 3, 4 and more times a day. No cheating.
A word of caution: Not understanding something, should not default to the only possible conclusion as cheating.

Johnny B. Goode

They're not cheating, all 4 players are in indy with hover tanks. Even with Howitzers having blast the 1.5x range advantage means you get 2-3 hits on them before they get in range. So yea 100+ attrition relatively easy to get in that situation.

It also keeps their siege camp costs all in the same era, which lets them max out SCs all the time.
You may not call that cheating, but I would. GBG should have a similar restriction to what GvG has. Current era (or lower) troops only. Actually, Inno should never have designed the game in such a way that you could get higher era troops. Poor decision on their part. (And don't interpret this as me saying that getting 100+ fights a day is cheating. I've done that myself with ease.)

Ebeondi Asi

I would say, anyone foolish enough to waste using higher Era troops to fight in GbG? You only get a few. you have to heal them with Diamonds. They are far more a hindrance than a help. I would rather (and did) just get more attack boost which is actually easier than the complicated process f getting advanced troops. Getting AO up high is also better than advanced troops. Have 10,000 of my favorite troop and making another 100 of them every day is also way way better than having a few advanced troops.
So those 'lucky' players with advanced troops? o_O They're really unlucky IMO. LOL

Last edited:

xivarmy

You may not call that cheating, but I would. GBG should have a similar restriction to what GvG has. Current era (or lower) troops only. Actually, Inno should never have designed the game in such a way that you could get higher era troops. Poor decision on their part. (And don't interpret this as me saying that getting 100+ fights a day is cheating. I've done that myself with ease.)
If GBG restricted it and yet they found a way to do it anyways, it'd be cheating. As is, there's no such restriction - so no, it's not cheating.

It's not without downsides & limitations. At higher attrition you tend to either burn diamonds or have to manually fight, since you can't replace the troops as easily as someone fighting with same age troops can. And you will never compete in rankings if you care by camping industrial age.

And possibly GBG should've restricted it - but it didn't - and hopefully before they fix that gap they also fix several other problems with it :p

Mailia

I don't see what's wrong with the time req's... if you aren't able to meet the times then drop to a guild that does swaps less often, if you can do timed GBG then go/stay in a higher guild. (IMHO) it would be unfair to nerf everyone just because some players are in guilds too fast for them. I do agree with the instantaneous jump to the top of diamond (or atleast maps with power guilds) though... I could get behind a different league and/or guild pairing system, but otherwise I honestly don't see the point.

Johnny B. Goode

There are about 600 people on each map it has to be timed.
Really?!? Because for the full guilds, GE has up to 480 people on each map and it does just fine without being timed. Aren't there 8 guilds at the most on GBG maps? So for most maps it's probably much less than 600 people. I mean, even with 8 guilds the average membership would have to be 75 for there to be 600 people on that map. And that's only if all members of every guild are actively participating. Have just one guild with less than 40 members and you're already under 600 people. I'm actually really curious as to your reasoning behind this statement of yours. I don't see any connection between the number of people on a map and the issue of timing.

Mor-Rioghain

The bottom line is that there is already a way to fight with guild scoring and personal rewards that is only limited in time by being offered once per week. It's called the Guild Expedition.

Dominator - X

I would say, anyone foolish enough to waste using higher Era troops to fight in GbG? You only get a few. you have to heal them with Diamonds. They are far more a hindrance than a help. I would rather (and did) just get more attack boost which is actually easier than the complicated process f getting advanced troops. Getting AO up high is also better than advanced troops. Have 10,000 of my favorite troop and making another 100 of them every day is also way way better than having a few advanced troops.
So those 'lucky' players with advanced troops? o_O They're really unlucky IMO. LOL
I don't think you understand how the higher age troops work. With a high enough boost, you don't have to worry much about healing. They are already several ages higher than what they are fighting against. Then, you add in your boost. You can go a huuuuuge long time before even taking enough damage to even consider resting or healing them. Even if you have to heal them, you will win more diamonds than you will ever use healing them. Not to mention the FPs and other troops you win. Even if you rest them, you can use all the free troops you won (on top of those you accumulate from your Traz), while they rest and still never use up your inventory.

No, not a hindrance in the least.

UP ONLINE

not talking about those 4 people
others use som kind of SCRIPT/ BOT to cheat no other way to get 1'000+ fights a day