• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

GbG ranking system

Dominator - X

Just look at the current guild rankings. Guilds with 1000 lp are ranked first according to victories and then according to victory points.
No, I get all that. I was only reporting on what INNO says, that there are 4 areas that impact ranking. We can all speculate what each criterion's weight is. I have done that myself. I was only adding to the conversation what INNO published and thought maybe you had read something else.

Dominator - X

It has a lot to do with guild size. As has been the case from the start, small guilds are complaining they can't afford it. The HQ building remains the entire season, so it costs less than building a single fortified command post each day or less than 2.5 old SC per day. That's really cheap for the benefits, especially when you fight from HQ all the time. Rebuilding a fortified command post on the same tile multiple times a day will eat into the same 3 goods over and over also, so there's really nothing to complain about.
*Most* small guilds are complaining because they do not have a vibrant treasury that can keep up with the demands for T-Goods that GBG and (the former) GvG require. Nor do they do much or anything to improve their lot. They would rather spend their time and energy complaining about how unfair everything is and how they can't compete with the larger guilds who do spend the time and energy improving their lot. Guild size has little to do with treasury management. Which, by the way, was the topic of my post, that you responded to.

I have seen small guilds do just fine in whatever League they happen to exist in, due to their management of T-Goods and cooperation level. If anything, it is harder to manage treasuries in larger guilds than it is in smaller guilds. More personalities with varying degrees of participation, experience, cooperation, play styles as well as individual goals are harder to manage and keep active and in tune with guild goals and requirements than a smaller, more quaint guild.

Regardless, these are all based on choices. Some choose to make adjusments and improve their situation, while others choose to complain, whine and express their jealousy and resentment for those who actually make such adjustments.

Pericles the Lion

For anyone who thought the ranking would balance out, what do you think after 3 seasons?
I think it is even more wacky.
A guild can get 2nd place in diamond 3 times, and be ranked lower than a guild who got 1 win in Platinum that pushed them up to 1k.
On the two worlds that I'm active in GBG the rankings firmed up more this season. On Tuulech, the top 4 spots are held by the top 4 GBG guilds on the world and in the correct order. On Sinerania, the top 5 spots are held by the top 5 GBG guilds, also in the correct order. There are a few guilds in the top 10 ranking that are there because of a lower league win but that won't matter, they won't be able to get to 1st place. Imo, anxiety regarding the rankings is not warranted. So far, it seems that wins in Platinum will not impact the final Championship result.

coolmite

For anyone who thought the ranking would balance out, what do you think after 3 seasons?
I think it is even more wacky.
A guild can get 2nd place in diamond 3 times, and be ranked lower than a guild who got 1 win in Platinum that pushed them up to 1k.
We have come in 2nd 3 times in a row in the upper diamond level. We have the 6th most VP. We've had between 130K and 180K fights in each of the past 3 seasons... we are now ranked 21st. There are numerous teams that we've come in ahead of in those 3 seasons that are ranked ahead of us because we are stuck at 0 victories.

coolmite

On the two worlds that I'm active in GBG the rankings firmed up more this season. On Tuulech, the top 4 spots are held by the top 4 GBG guilds on the world and in the correct order. On Sinerania, the top 5 spots are held by the top 5 GBG guilds, also in the correct order. There are a few guilds in the top 10 ranking that are there because of a lower league win but that won't matter, they won't be able to get to 1st place. Imo, anxiety regarding the rankings is not warranted. So far, it seems that wins in Platinum will not impact the final Championship result.
I've said all along the rankings are likely only to be valid for the top 3-4 spots. Our top 4 spots are probably the top 4, but not quite the right order. But after that, the rankings are a joke. Spots 5 - 10 will never finish inside the top 4 in top tier diamond. They move down and pick up a victory, then come back up again. Teams that cannot come in top 4 in high diamond have no business being in the top 10.

The only reason I really care is recruiting. Nobody looks at the 21st ranked guild on the server and things "that is the place I really want to go". Also, our team is getting demoralized. We are truly the 5th best GbG guild on the server, but there is no path for that be reflected with the current ranking system.

Coach Zuck

The only reason I really care is recruiting. Nobody looks at the 21st ranked guild on the server and things "that is the place I really want to go". Also, our team is getting demoralized. We are truly the 5th best GbG guild on the server, but there is no path for that be reflected with the current ranking system.
Samesies. We're 9th on the leaderboard but head to head there is only 1 or 2 guilds we can't beat (not sure about one of them since we've never tried) - we have spots open and want to grow, but when people who don't know the actual strength of all of these guilds look at the leaderboard, which I suspect is easily 95% of players, they're going to overlook us. We got matched twice in a row against the strongest GBG guild on our server. 1st place is the 5th strongest GBG guild, 60 members and this will help them grow when they've gotten that solely due to not having to compete with any of the top four for three seasons, whereas the true best guild had to share the map (and vp) with the 2nd/3rd strength guilds and so they can't keep up with the VP of the posers in 1st. It's a true shame. Rankings and matchmaking are both broken. TOC fragment distribution will also make this have a long term impact. Even if we win our next match, we'll just be tied with many guilds who should appear 5th or lower, in terms of victories. Hopefully the RNG Gods will bless us next championship.

Be Chuille

Rankings won't reset with every Championship.
From the event announcement:

"The Rankings button will now show the Guild-Battlegrounds-based ranking by default. The ranks will be based firstly on League Points your Guild currently has, secondly on the amount of Battleground victories in the current Championship, thirdly on total Victory Points accumulated in the current Championship, and lastly on the Guild Level."

Since ranking is based on "current" Championship, that means it will reset.

Be Chuille

Also, notice that guild rank uses Guild Level as the last criteria. In other words it is only used if there is a tie with 2 or more guilds having the same LP, # of wins and VP.
Everyone that has worked hard to get your guild level up... it now has no effect on rank. Other things that used to affect guild rank, such as the personal scores of members, etc. are now meaningless.

Be Chuille

Give it six months. Forge is a really long game. If you're in a hurry... Forge is the wrong game for you.
In six seasons, the rankings will reset.
All the diamonds that people are paying to boost their VP and rankings will mean nothing after the championship ends.
There is no longer any such thing as guild ranking. Now it is all about GBG rank - for the current season.

I have been playing this game for over 2 years. I know the drill regarding having patience. :)

Last edited:

coolmite

Give it six months. Forge is a really long game. If you're in a hurry... Forge is the wrong game for you.
I wish I could agree with you... that is what I wanted to think. But, it just can't and won't clear up. There is no path to simply pick up wins for a guild that comes in 2nd place 3 or 4 or 5 times in a row against the high diamond (1000 LP) guilds. Inno views a win in against 925LP guilds as more far far more valuable than 2nd in place in a group of 1000 LP guilds. A guild that comes in last with zero VP in a season and then gets moved down to platinum and wins with 100 VP is considered stronger than a guild in 2nd with 500K VP two seasons in a row against other 1000 LP guilds. "Wins" are the most important value that matters - and they don't take into account the level of competition for the win. It would be like counting a win in AAA baseball as equal to a win in the Majors.

Be Chuille

I wish I could agree with you... that is what I wanted to think. But, it just can't and won't clear up. There is no path to simply pick up wins for a guild that comes in 2nd place 3 or 4 or 5 times in a row against the high diamond (1000 LP) guilds. Inno views a win in against 925LP guilds as more far far more valuable than 2nd in place in a group of 1000 LP guilds. A guild that comes in last with zero VP in a season and then gets moved down to platinum and wins with 100 VP is considered stronger than a guild in 2nd with 500K VP two seasons in a row against other 1000 LP guilds. "Wins" are the most important value that matters - and they don't take into account the level of competition for the win. It would be like counting a win in AAA baseball as equal to a win in the Majors.
Completely agree. I am not saying that from the perspective of a guild that keeps getting second place in 1K....

Our guild won 3rd place in 1K diamond in the season 1. In season 2, we finished second to last in 1K diamond, sitting back to get to platinum. In season 3 we finished #1 in Platinum. So, we are pushed back up to 1K diamond, and currently rank #16. I would be thrilled with that if we deserved it. But there are very strong guilds with more than twice the VP that we have ranked below us, because they have not had a win. It is not satisfying to get a reward or rank that is not earned. No guild should be satisfied with that. I am happier with successes that we earn, because we do earn them. But this is just not right.

coolmite

Completely agree. I am not saying that from the perspective of a guild that keeps getting second place in 1K....

Our guild won 3rd place in 1K diamond in the season 1. In season 2, we finished second to last in 1K diamond, sitting back to get to platinum. In season 3 we finished #1 in Platinum. So, we are pushed back up to 1K diamond, and currently rank #16. I would be thrilled with that if we deserved it. But there are guilds with more than twice the VP that we have ranked below us, because they have not had a win. That does not give us a thrill to have a decent rank, as any guild should not be satisfied with getting there like that. I am happier with successes that we earn, because we do earn them. But this is just not right.
This is a great take. My guild has battled for 3 straight seasons. We push our members and we get a lot of fights. We have come in 2nd and we are ranked 21st. It is hard for us to know that had we just fully taken season 2 off... not done a single fight and got demoted then picked back up in season 3 - we would be ranked higher than we are right now. There is no way you can define that as a good reflection on guild strength.

The current 5th ranked guild on my world came in first in the 925 LP group in season one. They picked up a victory. In season two, they were in my guilds grouping and came in last. They moved down. Then in season three they came in first. Now they are in the 1000 LP group. They have 2 wins. And they are the 5th overall ranked guild. How is it going to just work out? And how do you think that works for the morale of my guild to know that the 5th ranked guild came in last in our group when we came in 2nd... yet they are ranked 5th and we are ranked 21st?