• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

What does the future hold for Forge of Empires? Hear from our Product Head! Feedback:

UBERhelp1

The forums are probably heading towards retirement because they're not well used and they're hoping using a more popular venue like discord might get a larger crowd. As I have not yet joined the FoE discord, I have no idea how that's going for them.
It's honestly not too bad these days. It was bad early on, when everyone and their mom was joining. I don't think they expected as many players to join as they got, and it resulted in some... confusion. Lots of people couldn't be nice and had to be banned.

Now that we're past that initial rush, it's quite a bit slower. Still some... spirited... debates over GvG, and there are still some members that are a little rough around the edges, but it's a lot better.

• Guild Expeditions: Introducing 5 new difficulties with a smoother difficulty curve and more frequent transitions between offensive and defensive boosts. We'll make the later levels deliberately difficult so that you have something to work towards over the next couple of years.
Above copied from the announcement. Question, does the 5 new difficulties mean they are adding more levels or are replacing levels. The "work towards...next couple of years", tells me the difficulty of each encounter is increasing dramatically!
They've confirmed they're talking about levels 6-10 :)

jaymoney23456

• Guild Expeditions: Introducing 5 new difficulties with a smoother difficulty curve and more frequent transitions between offensive and defensive boosts. We'll make the later levels deliberately difficult so that you have something to work towards over the next couple of years.
Above copied from the announcement. Question, does the 5 new difficulties mean they are adding more levels or are replacing levels. The "work towards...next couple of years", tells me the difficulty of each encounter is increasing dramatically!
There is information from the beta forums that it will be 5 totally new levels though this doesn't neccessarily mean nothing will change in GE levels 1-5.

xivarmy

There is information from the beta forums that it will be 5 totally new levels though this doesn't neccessarily mean nothing will change in GE levels 1-5.
It's pretty likely that something will change in 1-5 imo. One of the things they probably want to adjust is the blue boosts not mattering til difficulty 5 and then suddenly you need a ton of it. So I'd expect some blue-required encounters earlier than that to break you into it more naturally. Or at minimum nerfing the tail end of difficulty 5 and moving some of its escalation into later difficulties (along with even further escalation).

One of the things I found most ironic about this announcement is that they say their general development direction priorities include "Reducing Repetitive Tasks" and twice the GE sounds like a marked increase in repetitive tasks. An optimist might hope they're planning to reduce encounters per difficulty. A jaded FoE veteran probably assumes it's just as bad as it sounds ;)

jaymoney23456

A few months ago I asked a Mod about Blue GBG. They put up the game logo with "SOON" superimposed on it. So much for the definition of "SOON"...LOL! How hard can it be to program the map to use Blue A/D instead of Red A/D or to mix the sectors with Red and Blue? This should have been done a long time ago. Why have Blue GBG boosts if there is no Blue GBG to use them on?
The changes already made to GbG slow down map flips by 50% or more on even your average 1000lp GbG map. Imagine a map with blue stats: the thing would sit half a day before a map flip was done. Some might call this being pesimistic, but I don't think so given that red attack is still significantly more prevelant overall than blue stats.

Flavius Belisarius

Maybe we are just going on expeditions outside the South American Rain Forest

Wwwoodchuck

I hope they leave the forums open - there's so much history and genuinely helpful information here, from guides, discussions, and ideas to the changelogs/announcements from the very beginning of the game. But... I'm not too certain that the forums will be sticking around.
Excellent point, Uber. There is a wealth of information in this Forum, the Settlement guilds alone are invaluable to players. I have used them numerous times for the initial setups alone!! Thank you for putting them together.

Will Forum information be archived? Will the forum disappear or just become static? Will there be a way to move or store entire threads so they can be posted someplace else? Or will Inno be archiving them for us? It really would be a shame to have all this information just disappear. And yes, even the humorous banter between rivals that fills many threads!

Perhaps the above has all been covered and discussed. I could very easily have missed that discussion by being distracted by another thread filled with jovial exchanges between players!

Dursland

A few months ago I asked a Mod about Blue GBG. They put up the game logo with "SOON" superimposed on it. So much for the definition of "SOON"...LOL! How hard can it be to program the map to use Blue A/D instead of Red A/D or to mix the sectors with Red and Blue? This should have been done a long time ago. Why have Blue GBG boosts if there is no Blue GBG to use them on?
I agree with Emberguard. The most likely reason it isn't in the game yet is that they are giving everyone time to build blue stats. There are still many F2P players who can't do GE5. Only about half of my guild completes it and we're one of the top ones on US29.

Just An Observer

"Soon" has no specific timeframe. If you want to feel as though you have been lied to that's your choice. Personally, the use of the word "soon", in the context of blue GBG, is a cue to continue building up blue boosts before blue GBG gets launched - and it will get launched sooner or later.
You are playing word games. "Soon" does not mean "next century", "next decade", or a year later. It also does not mean "3 minutes", "3 hours" or "3 days". That leaves "3 weeks" and "3 months" as reasonable common sense timeframes. 3 months have passed for the most part since the Mod said "SOON".

Common sense is actually uncommon.

Just An Observer

I agree with Emberguard. The most likely reason it isn't in the game yet is that they are giving everyone time to build blue stats. There are still many F2P players who can't do GE5. Only about half of my guild completes it and we're one of the top ones on US29.
Why wait for the weak to catch up? Odds are they will not. Let the rest of us get on with it!

Just An Observer

The changes already made to GbG slow down map flips by 50% or more on even your average 1000lp GbG map. Imagine a map with blue stats: the thing would sit half a day before a map flip was done. Some might call this being pesimistic, but I don't think so given that red attack is still significantly more prevelant overall than blue stats.
Weak guilds perform weakly. Strong guilds perform strongly. Red or Blue will not change that. I watch the reports from other guilds on how they are doing in GE to see that the strong guilds handle GE to 80 just fine. That is a prime indicator they are ready for Blue GBG. There is no need to sink to the lowest common denominator. Very few guilds are good at doing timely swaps at this time when there is only Red A/D to deal with.

GE1-10??? Hero "Quantum Incursions"??? More battles is insanity. Battles are the most tedious boring brainless part of this game, always won by the players or guilds with the most bots. If you turn FoE into a war game, I'm out for good.

Adding to settlements is a good idea, as long as it is INTERESTING, not just more tedium. And I don't mean stupid brainless little cutsie games, I mean planning and managing.

Reducing Repetitive Tasks -- THAT is what is needed most desperately!! Give us "Visit all open taverns" and make that plus "Aid All" free for everyone, not based on watching useless ads that no one in their right mind would care about. Give us set armies that can be loaded in one click. Eliminate all parts of all events that consist of nothing but clicking over and over and over and ove....

Make events require thinking and planning. Right now, the Wildlife and the Vampire events are the only ones that aren't brainless. Get rid of the hated shipping from towns event that should require thinking but one player just posts the entire game sequence and everyone can just brainlessly follow it.

Streamlining army management would be great but everything I see (which is admittedly not much) suggests the wrong direction for this. There are already too many battles in this game, we need LESS not more!!

Fix the cumbersome miserable chat thread system, and most especially make "Social" tab into your own private discussions, and ALL guild threads on one or two Guild tabs. I would think something like "Guild Info", "Guild Chat", "External Groups", "Private Social", "Official Info", along with the ability for each player to manage his/her own threads.

We don't need more war games, we need huge improvements on what we already have!!

NWWolverine

This part makes me laugh:

They already failed at that.
Let them make the change before critiquing too much. (we all know their history) They might actually be listening and really try to balance out the guild membership. If every guild really needs farmers...(whatever that is...) then some of the super battle teams will have to make tough decisions

jaymoney23456

Weak guilds perform weakly. Strong guilds perform strongly. Red or Blue will not change that. I watch the reports from other guilds on how they are doing in GE to see that the strong guilds handle GE to 80 just fine. That is a prime indicator they are ready for Blue GBG. There is no need to sink to the lowest common denominator. Very few guilds are good at doing timely swaps at this time when there is only Red A/D to deal with.
Doing GE lv 5 is not the same thing as GbG. Also, city defense as attack never made any sense. If few guilds do well with regular attack boost why should it go to city defense which would make it far worse?

jaymoney23456

Another thing that "bothers" me is there was no word about fixing the atrocious lag. The launch day lag in GBG absolutely zaps any enjoyment received from the only real battle that GBG is. Something drastic has to happen to alleviate this, yet nothing was mentioned?
Its very bad. It often takes 10 seconds or more per battle at times during the initial rush towards the center of the map!

Johnny B. Goode

I am in your debt for clearing this up. Here I was thinking that radio, tv, newspapers, Wikipedia, books, even hieroglyphics and cave drawings, were forms of communication (none of which are "two-way streets". ;)
Radio is frequently a two-way street. Talk shows with call-in segments, request shows on music radio are just the most obvious examples. TV often asks viewers to respond to their programming and provide avenues for doing so, not to mention requests for viewers' pictures when there's a significant weather event or local goings-on such as festivals. Newspapers have pretty much always had Letters to the Editor pages. Wikipedia (now this is the worst example for your point) is written/edited by the public! Books is a narrower two-way street, but it still is one as authors frequently have communications with readers. In fact, I just started reading a 40+ book series that not only uses readers' ideas but credits them specifically at the end of each book. Now, of course, hieroglyphics and cave drawings are no longer two-way streets, but it's possible that some of them were in their time. You should just quit now before you embarrass yourself further.

Incidentally, has anyone else noticed that there is a significant lack of moderation now on the Forum? Almost like they've already abandoned it.