• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

A New Day

DeletedUser29623

Personally, I’ve found these forums very helpful when I’ve asked for advice. I’m not really interested in player proposals, though, so I don’t read that one, and it’s annoying when Forge Hall fills up with topics that have been booted from the Proposal forum, complete with people angrily scolding the OP for not using the correct format. There’s so much pointless negativity in it that it drags down the overall tone. I wouldn’t even mind a few “wouldn’t it be cool if Inno did X?” threads in Forge Hall for people who want to kick ideas around but not file a formal proposal, just as long as I don’t have to read about that @#$& proposal format anymore! It does seem like the forums could find a more effective way of handling this.

One thing to remember: A lot of people have a hard time simply admitting that they’re having trouble with some element of a game, and their first response is to insist that the game is unbalanced or otherwise needs fixing. Longtime players who have mastered that element tend to jump all over them, which then leads to the critics complaining that they’re not “allowed” to criticize the game or its devs. Every game forum I’ve participated in has this problem. It might be useful to first consider whether a proposal is really a request for help from someone who can’t bring himself to ask for help in a straightforward way.

DeletedUser36326

Personally, I’ve found these forums very helpful when I’ve asked for advice. I’m not really interested in player proposals, though, so I don’t read that one, and it’s annoying when Forge Hall fills up with topics that have been booted from the Proposal forum, complete with people angrily scolding the OP for not using the correct format. There’s so much pointless negativity in it that it drags down the overall tone. I wouldn’t even mind a few “wouldn’t it be cool if Inno did X?” threads in Forge Hall for people who want to kick ideas around but not file a formal proposal, just as long as I don’t have to read about that @#$& proposal format anymore! It does seem like the forums could find a more effective way of handling this.

One thing to remember: A lot of people have a hard time simply admitting that they’re having trouble with some element of a game, and their first response is to insist that the game is unbalanced or otherwise needs fixing. Longtime players who have mastered that element tend to jump all over them, which then leads to the critics complaining that they’re not “allowed” to criticize the game or its devs. Every game forum I’ve participated in has this problem. It might be useful to first consider whether a proposal is really a request for help from someone who can’t bring himself to ask for help in a straightforward way.

I think there's fault to go around and blaming one side for being the cause of the others faults isn't all that accurate.

The OP's suggestion is nice and respected, but it won't matter if it's just a suggestion since those who want to keep doing it will keep doing it. Someone already mentioned it. Best thing to do is to moderate yourself and remember it's just a game forum.

DeletedUser24436

The balance of the Force does not refer to the light side alone. It is a balance between the light and dark sides. The mere presence of the dark side does not disrupt the balance; in fact, it is necessary for balance. Both sides are part of the natural state of the Force.

And I was so looking forward to pledging my allegiance to Lord Longshanks and becoming his apprentice.

DeletedUser32824

This is how I've always tried to post, so I'm glad to see other people wanting to get on board with it! In addition to this I would say that another area of improvement could be individuals analyzing whether or not their post is adding to the discussion or is helpful. There have been times I've made a post and other members post something totally off topic or unhelpful that it is frustrating.

Another area to improve, and this is more to the OP's point, is to try and eliminate any use of ad-hominem. I recently watched a youtube video of this guy bashing flat earthers and their ideas need to be bashed, but then he started bashing the way the people were dressed or how they looked and I just got a bad taste in my mouth! So let's try and respond to the merit of someone's post, and not devolve to bashing the individual.