• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Add Favorites to Army Selection

Lannister the Rich

Proposal
Have a favorites selection of army units to choose from for quicker unit swapping.

Current System (if applicable)
Click each unit, one at a time and select to remove; or drag and drop each unit out of the menu. Then, select each new unit you want to use and add them with a button individually or drag and drop.

Details
With each new battle, be it in GE, quest battling, CM, etc, it often calls for an entirely different strategy for units to use. I am proposing that they add a new tab to the army management menu where you can create different sets of army units to pick from, so instead of changing each unit, you just pick a button and the units change themselves.

If you didn’t have enough units for the favorite, then it just puts in the maximum amount it can, and the rest would need to be filled in (or not) by the current system of dragging and dropping.

Abuse Prevention
None needed. It uses your current units and only speeds up the process of what is already done.

Visual Aids
Don’t have any, sorry...

Conclusion
Strategy retention. Check.
Less work. Check.

Algona

Not voting at this time.

What happens with wounded units?

I don't see how this saves much time; selecting the right army from a tab versus selecting individual units.

Lannister the Rich

How would this feature work for those who are starting the game and have a limited amount of Units available?
It can be something that is not unlocked until a later age, much like the antiques dealer.

Not voting at this time.

What happens with wounded units?

I don't see how this saves much time; selecting the right army from a tab versus selecting individual units.

It would select the healthiest units first.

If you’re changing out one unit, sure, it doesn’t save much time. But next time you fight try changing out all 8 units for every battle. It gets old, much like entering every person town to find something to mopo. It’s a convenience factor.

Super Catanian

But next time you fight try changing out all 8 units for every battle. It gets old, much like entering every person town to find something to mopo. It’s a convenience factor.
I mean, it's not super hard right now. There are tabs for all the types of units right now, and the ones I want to use are always to the left where I need them. 14 clicks at most, currently.

Super Catanian

No, it’s not hard. It’s a convenience feature...14 clicks compared to 2.
I guess. This will take some discussion before it becomes well thought out.
I am thinking that you can choose types (Artillery, Light, etc.) of Units, rather than individual Units, and the game will place those units starting with the highest era (after which you can then swap out units).

Lannister the Rich

I guess. This will take some discussion before it becomes well thought out.
I am thinking that you can choose types (Artillery, Light, etc.) of Units, rather than individual Units, and the game will place those units starting with the highest era (after which you can then swap out units).
I had originally started writing this proposal as just a button to quickly remove every unit from your attacking army, but it evolved to this in my mind. I think it’s at least worthy of a discussion

DeletedUser

Already proposed numerous times. Use the search function.
First time I've seen a template for full armies proposed. That being said...

Since the whole justification for this proposal is to make the game easier, it falls under the first item on the DNSL. Moving to Forge Hall in case anyone wants to discuss the concept.

Algona

First time I've seen a template for full armies proposed. T

Agreed, it is a novel idea, props to the OP for creativity.

I had originally started writing this proposal as just a button to quickly remove every unit from your attacking army, but it evolved to this in my mind. I think it’s at least worthy of a discussion

Done a bit of pondering on your Proposal and this idea as well.

Lots of objectons, but they boil down to three:

There's no significant time savings or usefulness. It takes a lot longer to navigate to a fight, determine what units to use in the fight, and then (God forbid) manually fighting the fight then the time to load units for the fight. Inexperienced fighters can't know what to put into a preset army, experienced fighters dont need it. Determining which preset army to select to use for a particular fight will take at least as long as building it from scratch if the player has more then a couple preset armies.

Server load. Any additional server load for any automation (such as substituting healed troops for wounded troops) will have a magnifies effect on the already horrible GvG Recalc Lag.

There's no return for INNO on the cost to design, code, test, and implement this. This doen't make things simpler for INNO, it complicates them.

DeletedUser

Since that is from another country's Forum, it is irrelevant to this Forum. If you want to comment on proposals from another country's server, I would advise you to make those comments there, not here. (I do find it interesting that they would allow a proposal that violates the DNSL to go to voting, let alone submit it. They have the same item on their DNSL that it violates here. Hmmm.)

Lannister the Rich

Agreed, it is a novel idea, props to the OP for creativity.

Done a bit of pondering on your Proposal and this idea as well.

Lots of objectons, but they boil down to three:

There's no significant time savings or usefulness. It takes a lot longer to navigate to a fight, determine what units to use in the fight, and then (God forbid) manually fighting the fight then the time to load units for the fight. Inexperienced fighters can't know what to put into a preset army, experienced fighters dont need it. Determining which preset army to select to use for a particular fight will take at least as long as building it from scratch if the player has more then a couple preset armies.

Server load. Any additional server load for any automation (such as substituting healed troops for wounded troops) will have a magnifies effect on the already horrible GvG Recalc Lag.

There's no return for INNO on the cost to design, code, test, and implement this. This doen't make things simpler for INNO, it complicates them.

Thank you for the amazing feedback. I didn’t take into account the server load for automating. I would argue about the return though that I’ve never seen a proposal about making things simpler for INNO.

First time I've seen a template for full armies proposed. That being said...

Since the whole justification for this proposal is to make the game easier, it falls under the first item on the DNSL. Moving to Forge Hall in case anyone wants to discuss the concept.

Thanks for moving it.

ODragon

I do find it interesting that they would allow a proposal that violates the DNSL to go to voting, let alone submit it. They have the same item on their DNSL that it violates .

With the utmost respect, the "easy clause" can be put on a lot of proposals. Maybe there, efficient isn't seen as easy? When I do GE/GvG, the longest and most tedious part is removing wounded troops and putting in healthy ones. A button that lets me swap out wounded for healthy, to me, would be an efficient change. Someone else might think of it as a way to make the game more easy. The problem is that it is both and only INNO can really judge which way. Two different mods might have the same feeling; Mod A thinks easy, Mod B thinks efficient.

Last edited:

Super Catanian

Sorry, this would have been a good example. I searched “army selection” and it didn’t pop up but I found it with another search:

https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/improvements-to-the-army-management.26412/
My point is that it was a proposal that had something to do with the Army Management, which, according to your posts, is just repeating. However, mine was different than the ones that were mentioned to me by another Forum member, yet it even made it into voting, meaning that it does have a chance and that it is worth proposing.