• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Anniversary Event 2023 Feedback

stymie of Suwannee

Something to be said of complaints of boring or repetitive events (oh boy, soccer with what??? various trees?). And next year, won’t be an issue, unless the tree thing happens. I’ve read my first mooingcat and nervous too, but like real life, ready to punch another task in the head (poured another 50’ concrete slab after finishing 2 cities Main quests before 6am. Bam!)
Secondly, I welcome the chance to set myself apart (more so) from the general population. I rarely spend money, so not handing out the whole thing to “every other day warriors” is fine by me.

Wwwoodchuck

The event just started, but I do have some initial feedback!

The good:

The setup of the event is very good. It is nice the event is between St. Patricks’s day and something like Forge Bowl. You do not have to baby sit the event or be dickering with it all day, but you also do not just log on, dump all your event currency and leave. You will have to log in each day and spend at least a little time doing a few screens. It does not have to be a timed interaction either! The user can pick when to have their event interaction. That is nice, good job.

Lots of small prizes as you do your daily screens. You will get a little something each time you log in and do activities.

You can save up event currency, (Keys), to try for daily specials. This is something I missed in St Patrick’s day event. I like to have a prize to look forward to trying for.

Leagues are back. I have always enjoyed them, trying to get a little something extra.

The bad…

Inno does not do a very good job of explaining events to the users. Without content creators like Mooingcat, many would just be lost as to what to do. The short ‘tutorial’ in-game really did nothing besides show the basic mechanics. There should be a description of the strategy. Users are just left guessing. Remember, many of us are just folks trying to enjoy a little fun and relaxation, not struggle to understand how something works. IT is more frustrating than fun. Inno might get a few more users to buy diamonds if they actually understood what they had to do instead of just giving up and not playing the event at all.

Even a basic description:

The object is to merge like level, same color items to form full ‘keys’. … But be careful, you need to plan how you merge each level so you do not get caught with half keys and no way to merge them! Your objective is to try and unlock all the fragments from locked frames to receive a bonus reward! Save those full keys and try for a Daily Special you desire!.. <- Not a very good description, but hope you get the idea. Just something to give us a starting point.

Users to need third party software or ad-ons to successfully negotiate and participate in an event. The game sponsoring the event should be able to provide the users with everything they need to complete it successfully. And by successfully I also mean give them the means to fully understand what the objectives are, how to play and at least a basic strategy.

I talk with many players who do not have a clue about how to play the event. Do not know about third party software or content creators to help. They are strictly using just in-game resources. They rely on Inno to provide them with the necessary materials to have them enjoy and be successful in sponsored events.

The “Anniversary Prizes” being paid prizes. It is what it is. I would prefer to see some way of using in-game resources for this. Perhaps something using the Daily Challenge, like we get the keys for events. Participate in the Daily Challenge daily and you get a ‘fragment’ of a key to open the pay reward line. 30 or 45 successful challenges and you can open the reward line for an upcoming event – User choice!!

“Golden Upgrades”. Another it is what it is moment It seems these are here to stay and it would be nice if Inno could make them accessible after the fact, like the Druid Hut. It is possible to get the final/Golden upgrade using the building itself. This event we have the Keymaster’s Workshop that will give selection kit fragments, but… It is locked behind the pay wall. It is unavailable to users who are dedicated and play everyday.

Brutusone

The game is like learning chess, watch two different videos, ask my guildmates, read others understanding of this event. Worked through at least two days of energy points to learn just how the pieces move. Learning the tactics and strategy of this event will take even longer! I love chess, have played it over 50 years-learning this over three weeks doesn't look like fun. Figure from other comments I have already lost my chance at the GB. Will play, but I can't see much joy in doing it, or trying very hard to understand it!

xivarmy

The game is like learning chess, watch two different videos, ask my guildmates, read others understanding of this event. Worked through at least two days of energy points to learn just how the pieces move. Learning the tactics and strategy of this event will take even longer! I love chess, have played it over 50 years-learning this over three weeks doesn't look like fun. Figure from other comments I have already lost my chance at the GB. Will play, but I can't see much joy in doing it, or trying very hard to understand it!
The strategy is not that deep. It's mostly about learning stupid things not to do. There's probably still small mistakes you'll make and may or may not realize but they won't affect your success in the event if you can avoid frequent systematic mistakes.

To use the chess analogy: to do well in this event, you just need to stop leaving your pieces en pris :p

Elrebriwyn

My honest feed back is this event is lame. The reward building is oversized and pretty much like all the other ones I've got, as well as, the "game" portion is just stupid. I'm gonna pass on this one

Mor-Rioghain

Inno does not do a very good job of explaining events to the users. Without content creators like Mooingcat, many would just be lost as to what to do. The short ‘tutorial’ in-game really did nothing besides show the basic mechanics. There should be a description of the strategy. Users are just left guessing. Remember, many of us are just folks trying to enjoy a little fun and relaxation, not struggle to understand how something works. IT is more frustrating than fun. Inno might get a few more users to buy diamonds if they actually understood what they had to do instead of just giving up and not playing the event at all.

Even a basic description:
Hear, hear!!! Say it LOUDER for those in the back!!

I completely support the idea of people putting their opinions out there and just letting it rip but could those of you who "got" it and think this is easy just please stop with the criticism of those who didn't? I'm not talking about a week or even half-way through the event - it's only about 10 hours after the thing started and guess what!? Not everyone who tried to "study" (I can't believe I just used that word twice in one day regarding a computer game!) the guide might, just might have missed the utter importance of something like, oh, key tops & bottoms!?

Okay yep. <---she's the stupid one who didn't "get" it and yep, I wasted an awful lot of "energies" (MooingCat is right on that one, that's a stupid word for a single unit - it should be "energy.") But I digress -- oh, no I didn't. I'm done. Yep, oh, my "pros?" I like the building. In fact, it's freaking awesome. I even like the game now that I've figured out how to play it, no thanks to the developers, the vid-link that we got about 8 or 9 hours after the event started, and frankly, not even from the very well researched and well-written guide by MooingCat. Nope, I'm not even a slow learner - just missed that one tiny little thing - and there is the part about the cute little tiny pictures of key "tops" and key "bottoms" that you'd need BINOCULARS for EYEGLASSES to see!!! Yeah, that was a brilliant move considering I'd bet my last dollar and my forge points, too, that probably HALF of your gamers are Seniors!!!! Wake up, please, Inno! We're begging you to tell us what's going on here - just a hint - a description - you don't have to do it for us! Just explain it already, would you? (Maybe we won't feel so stupid).

Yeah, like Chess. Nope. Chess was easy. Learning to be good at it took years and lots of practice. This is a computer game and with the events we get like 2 days to read a guide, if we read them at all, and wishy-washy hints from whomever our "host" is before each quest. Yeah, that's really genius. So not like Chess at all, imho. But - to each his own. Do try to be kind to one another, though, please? Why make people feel stupider than they already feel for not getting something that's explained badly if at all?

Dursland

I'm just using mooingcat's automated solver. It seems to work well if you're willing to put in the work of inputting data.

I did 4 boards of 100 energy each and ended up with 26 / 33 / 36 keys which seems like a good number, considering I can open 3 gold chests with it.

If I gain enough keys for 3 gold chests daily then doing 1 for the bonus and saving up the other 2 for a good special sounds like a great deal to me.

xivarmy

Hear, hear!!! Say it LOUDER for those in the back!!

I completely support the idea of people putting their opinions out there and just letting it rip but could those of you who "got" it and think this is easy just please stop with the criticism of those who didn't? I'm not talking about a week or even half-way through the event - it's only about 10 hours after the thing started and guess what!? Not everyone who tried to "study" (I can't believe I just used that word twice in one day regarding a computer game!) the guide might, just might have missed the utter importance of something like, oh, key tops & bottoms!?

Okay yep. <---she's the stupid one who didn't "get" it and yep, I wasted an awful lot of "energies" (MooingCat is right on that one, that's a stupid word for a single unit - it should be "energy.") But I digress -- oh, no I didn't. I'm done. Yep, oh, my "pros?" I like the building. In fact, it's freaking awesome. I even like the game now that I've figured out how to play it, no thanks to the developers, the vid-link that we got about 8 or 9 hours after the event started, and frankly, not even from the very well researched and well-written guide by MooingCat. Nope, I'm not even a slow learner - just missed that one tiny little thing - and there is the part about the cute little tiny pictures of key "tops" and key "bottoms" that you'd need BINOCULARS for EYEGLASSES to see!!! Yeah, that was a brilliant move considering I'd bet my last dollar and my forge points, too, that probably HALF of your gamers are Seniors!!!! Wake up, please, Inno! We're begging you to tell us what's going on here - just a hint - a description - you don't have to do it for us! Just explain it already, would you? (Maybe we won't feel so stupid).

Yeah, like Chess. Nope. Chess was easy. Learning to be good at it took years and lots of practice. This is a computer game and with the events we get like 2 days to read a guide, if we read them at all, and wishy-washy hints from whomever our "host" is before each quest. Yeah, that's really genius. So not like Chess at all, imho. But - to each his own. Do try to be kind to one another, though, please? Why make people feel stupider than they already feel for not getting something that's explained badly if at all?
The same could be said for declaring it too hard after only 10 hours. At least give it a few days to sink in and see how you're doing progress-wise before declaring it too hard?

All I'm saying as someone who has studied the balancing of the event is that you don't have to feel you get the game perfectly to do satisfactorily in the event. At one point their balancing was that strict. But now you should have a few days and/or a bit of wasted energy to "get it well enough" and not play perfectly.

Because no, it's *not* like chess. Chess is a deep and complicated game that even the very best players in the world make mistakes. I only went along with the analogy being used by the player I was responding to.

This is a silly little minigame I'd consider too boring to play and delete from my mobile device. I like it better than St Pat's because it does not suck up all my time. And I like it better than forge bowl where it's "just pick the right coach and chests". But as a standalone game, it does not shine as a game with depth worthy of being a main focus. And that's fine - because it's *not* a standalone game.

Pericles the Lion

INNO introduces a new mini-game mechanic and players complain that it didn't come with a detailed user guide including strategy guidance. So what? For every event we have the excellent tutorials provided by @MooingCat (and others). Anyone that has been playing for more than a short time should be aware of these tools (and newbies should be reaching out to their Guild for help). All that it takes to be successful in this, or any, event it to take the time to prepare. Waiting on INNO to provide the roadmap is a fool's errand.

Xenosaur

Yeah - putting on your cyborg exoskeleton to do battle has its merits. I thrill @ the focus and intellectual horsepower it took to do ALL @MooingCat does, tirelessly here (and I write my own software to assist in understanding the game's mathematics, too...) , but if he ever went "poof" and decided all this isn't worth it - then does that leave a cadre of players that have come to rely on his event-defining "clarifications" on this to play...in the lurch?

I think a few are saying - this should be fun without the intellectual software assist. Sure - people can choose to NOT use it. But - it's like ChatGPT writing your doctoral thesis, which is now possible and I'm sure is going to be employed.

I think without help, a lot of people would be wandering the Anniversary Event desert...

In beta, a few people implored Inno themselves to create a learning tool or sandbox to experiment on strategies, and let people practice for free first, to learn it. Moo's work is icing, not cake. (gravy, not beef)

Inno embraced some of that and added a bunch of free game energy in the live version, and polished the quickie tutorial. So it's better, but I know what you're going through - it's still challenging on how to do it efficiently to eventually win the prize.

That's the big hurdle each person has to jump, and it's a personal journey in learning. Yes - it is. We're lucky to have @MooingCat selflessly trying to help.

xivarmy

It's easy , going for the DS ? Go for the most keys , going for the grand prize ? Go for breaking the most glass. The two are not reliant on each other.
~Half the grand prize progress is from opening chests. You should always go for efficient keys - whether you want specials or the grand prize. Once it's unlikely you get more keys with a spawn, you should reset the board*.

*unless you're planning to spend a ton of diamonds on the event in which case you should plan to full-clear some boards because the cost to reset them escalates to the point where it's even more expensive not to clear them. Accordingly based on the amount of diamonds you plan to spend you should evaluate at that point where it's no longer key-worthy whether this is a board you can full clear for a reasonable amount of energy or if you should use one of your (effectively limited by cost) resets on it.

xivarmy

ChatGPT can be easily detected by an algorithm, even the latest iteration of it. It will not be used by a graduate student at least not by any that expects their thesis to become part of their university's permanent record that the public sees.
Reading half the stuff ChatGPT puts out, and putting aside whether or not it can be detected, it reads like a *really* bad essay. My commentary on it was it reads like a "D" paper. Full of redundant sentences, and circular logic. About the only thing it does well is grammar. There may be a day where having an AI write a paper for someone is a concern - but it's not here yet.

Graviton

I studied hard for college and graduate school becauase that was going to afford me a better life. I shouldn't have to study as hard to play a darned game!

This is not directed at you per se, but this is at least the second time I've seen someone say essentially that the minigame is too hard. Or perhaps more accurately, not easy enough. This has me waiting for the next Idea suggestion and the replies that whatever it is would make FoE too easy. :D

This one is pretty complex, at least at first. What I don't like is the tension I feel that I'll screw it up before I get the hang of it, and that'll be the difference between getting the fully upgraded building and not. I don't mind a complex minigame but I really don't like one that makes me anxious.

Pericles the Lion

This is not directed at you per se, but this is at least the second time I've seen someone say essentially that the minigame is too hard. Or perhaps more accurately, not easy enough. This has me waiting for the next Idea suggestion and the replies that whatever it is would make FoE too easy. :D

This one is pretty complex, at least at first. What I don't like is the tension I feel that I'll screw it up before I get the hang of it, and that'll be the difference between getting the fully upgraded building and not. I don't mind a complex minigame but I really don't like one that makes me anxious.
"Don't worry...be happy" :)

If @MooingCat is right (and he typically is) there should be a fair amount of wiggle room in the mini-game. 3750 progress is needed to get the fully levelled building. Daily play, 4 boards per day @ 100 energy per board should result in about 5000 progress.

CDmark

Can I stack up keys and go for a daily I like. For some reason, I recall having to collect a chest a day. Lots of info to digest. Game takes getting used to. Mooing puts out videos faster than I can collect keys...lol

Wwwoodchuck

I am not saying it is too difficult. I was pointing out that there is a steep learning curve on this game. We really had very little to go on at how to approach the game or what end result would be the best.

It is fine to leave that up to the players to find out! Heck, I bet that is most of the fun for many players! And for many, spending a few days trying to figure out how the screens even work while trying to go for the main reward, is not particularly relaxing.

I do not mind if the games are complex, but I would like to have an understanding of them before they begin when we only have a limited time to gain the reward. It isn't like a test, this is a game. I can't imagine Inno plans on only a small percentage of the brightest players being able to achieve the reward. I would think they should aim for most players to easily be able to gain the full reward. Easily achieve... with a good challenge to it I guess, not just hand it to them.

Pericles the Lion

I am not saying it is too difficult. I was pointing out that there is a steep learning curve on this game. We really had very little to go on at how to approach the game or what end result would be the best.

It is fine to leave that up to the players to find out! Heck, I bet that is most of the fun for many players! And for many, spending a few days trying to figure out how the screens even work while trying to go for the main reward, is not particularly relaxing.

I do not mind if the games are complex, but I would like to have an understanding of them before they begin when we only have a limited time to gain the reward. It isn't like a test, this is a game. I can't imagine Inno plans on only a small percentage of the brightest players being able to achieve the reward. I would think they should aim for most players to easily be able to gain the full reward. Easily achieve... with a good challenge to it I guess, not just hand it to them.
Every event is first tested on the Beta server. There is always a feedback thread devoted to the event and these threads generally have a lot of participation. Contributing to these threads requires a Beta account (which is no big deal) but anyone can lurk on the threads and read all of the dialogue. Pretty much anything that a player needs to know can be learned in these threads.