• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Arc Advantages

RazorbackPirate

What do you think about guild members using the swaps to fill their new level with the lock-in FPs, then sell the top spots to high level Arc owners after? In one guild I'm in, the swap threads are dominated by members doing this with their own GBs. Then they watch all the other GBs on the threads to jump on when those GBs have enough on them to snipe for themselves. Thoughts? They're all mid to high level Arc owners lvl 40 - 75 range doing it with all their GBs.

DeletedUser

^ Yes. I see a lot of that in one guild I'm in. It seems that some guilds have Arc only, 1.85, or 1.9 threads for this reason? I've not personally been in a guild with one, so I'm not too familiar with the mechanics of them and how they differ from a regular guild swap thread.
I can tell you that if you don't do it exactly right (the particular way they want it done) with those stupid things, they will jump all over you like you slapped their kid or something. Again, experience. There's a guild I'll be going back to, that has great things going for it, but they have a thread where they post GBs, but you HAVE TO put 1.9x the reward to get a spot. I didn't know that, so I just put enough to lock a spot (4th or 5th, I can't remember). I quickly got a message from the GB owner telling me I owed him a bunch more FP on that GB. I ignore that thread now.

I would be very happy if there were a version of FoE where the Arc had never been introduced. That would be a much more enjoyable game. Not to those who like an easy button, of course, but to people like me that like to play the whole game and not build a strategy based on merely one aspect.

DeletedUser29726

What do you think about guild members using the swaps to fill their new level with the lock-in FPs, then sell the top spots to high level Arc owners after? In one guild I'm in, the swap threads are dominated by members doing this with their own GBs. Then they watch all the other GBs on the threads to jump on when those GBs have enough on them to snipe for themselves. Thoughts? They're all mid to high level Arc owners lvl 40 - 75 range doing it with all their GBs.

I think it's complicated. Personally I did this for a little bit when i was in the process of levelling my arc. But i felt particularly bad that there was really only 2-3 spots on my building that were actually going to be available to the people using the N FP threads, so i stopped using the swap threads entirely and just self-donated for the setup. That said, swap threads are hard to police in terms of how people use them - there have been people who take advantage of them since long before the Arc existed in the exact same way by making side deals/private deals after most of the FP was already onto a building and user beware (at the same time there's other people who get burned time and again because they absolutely refuse to toss in an extra 10 FP to lock their big juicy reward and they're just as much at fault as the person who does go ahead and take it). Arc just exacerbated the issue by making it more profitable. To me, FP chains at this point are a relic of a bygone era. Especially once guilds get to the point of add 20 FP, 50 FP, 100 FP threads so that people can spend their relics, it points to me at needing a better solution than thread proliferation.

Agent327

The only off topic posts have been yours. The OP asked for the advantages and disadvantages of the Arc, and we have been discussing the Arc... except your two posts.:rolleyes:

So where did he ask for the effects of the Arc on the game, or donating to it?

It's pavlovian with you. Mention the Arc and you start drewling. You think that as long as you use the word "Arc" in any context it is on topic.

Last edited:

Graviton

So where did he ask for the effects of the Arc on the game, or donating to it?

Where did anybody ask you to police it? Now the topic has strayed to swap threads, you gonna yell at people about that too? Let me guess: you were a hall monitor in high school. Or maybe you still are.

I quickly got a message from the GB owner telling me I owed him a bunch more FP on that GB. I ignore that thread now.

I would be very happy if there were a version of FoE where the Arc had never been introduced. That would be a much more enjoyable game. Not to those who like an easy button, of course, but to people like me that like to play the whole game and not build a strategy based on merely one aspect.

I ignore the 1.8 and 1.9 threads as well, I just use the regular swap threads. I guess I'm not keen on power-levelling, plus if I wanted to do math I'd play sudoku.

DeletedUser15539

My guild in "A" has a 190% swap thread. When it works, it's almost hard to believe how quickly you can get your Great Buildings leveled up. The problem is, for it to work smoothly everyone in the group has to follow the rules, and outsiders can really mess things up.

DeletedUser3882

My guild in "A" has a 190% swap thread. When it works, it's almost hard to believe how quickly you can get your Great Buildings leveled up. The problem is, for it to work smoothly everyone in the group has to follow the rules, and outsiders can really mess things up.
That’s what I’ve never understood and why I’ve never got into the power leveling. Please explain these rules...
I mean, It’s imaginary game currency that you always get more of in *an hour*! Players get bent out of shape, I revert back to the original “intent” of the game, kick them from the guild and a go hunting for their neighborhood to attack and plunder...

DeletedUser31592

We don't allow that in my guild and I, personally, will not tolerate it in a guild in my secondary worlds. In guild sniping is a major no-no for me. Not my style.

If it is pre-disclosed, then I guess it is technically fine. Still not the playing style I associate with.

DeletedUser29726

That’s what I’ve never understood and why I’ve never got into the power leveling. Please explain these rules...
I mean, It’s imaginary game currency that you always get more of in *an hour*! Players get bent out of shape, I revert back to the original “intent” of the game, kick them from the guild and a go hunting for their neighborhood to attack and plunder...

It's an agreement between players. To be in the thread, you follow the rules of the thread, and there's significant advantages to being in the thread (fastest way to level your buildings). The only constant rules are

if it's a "190% thread", when you post your building 190% is safe to lock the spot
if it's a "190% thread", you give "190%" when you claim a spot, regardless of whether less would lock it or whether your arc bonus is lower
claim in the thread before you take a spot, the first person to claim gets it, and drops the points immediately

other rules may include things in respect to timeframe, or how to settle mistakes (which will happen).

All of this should be explained to you before you're added to the thread. When people understand how they work they're no more complicated than FP swap threads (which regularly get messed up too by newcomers who aren't educated first).

I've no doubt some people take it too seriously, but usually mistakes are met with polite reminders.

DeletedUser31592

funny thing is, people complain about a guild member sniping and keeping the prize in the guild. then when a 'careless' person gets sniped by an outsider nobody says anything or they say 'part of the game'
If GBs are managed correctly, everyone is working together, and people work at keeping snipers off of their friends list, outsiders are not that big of a problem. In my guild, when someone's spot is vulnerable, you send them a message. Tell them they may want to lock it up or they could be sniped. My guild was at 80 members with a waiting list for a long, long time and it was rarely an issue. (I say was at 80 because we've taken strides to require GE and that has caused some long-term members to leave. We are no longer capped.)

RazorbackPirate

similar situation: 'careless' guild members casually load their GB's in the threads, and get sniped by an outside friend/neighbor for 1.5, THEN that 'careless' person continue's to post their dead GB in the threads.

both situations the players are loading in the threads and getting sniped.
funny thing is, people complain about a guild member sniping and keeping the prize in the guild. then when a 'careless' person gets sniped by an outsider nobody says anything or they say 'part of the game'

often the 'better/smarter' player who 'cares' to get 1.8-1.9 is often considered the bad guy, while the 'careless' person who lets all the guilds effort/prizes go outside guild gets left alone and ignored.
?????
when a people gets 1.8-1.9 on their GB it puts more fp's on the top spots, which can reduce dead GB's being posted in the threads.

if careless people are allowed to load in the threads and get sniped by outside for less than 1.8-1.9
than people in guild should be allowed to load and get sniped for 1.8-1.9
otherwise there is basically a double standard where 'smart' play is being punished and 'careless' play is being ignored.
I'm not sure I can agree with your, "If I don't snipe them, someone else will," rationalization. I'm not buying your, "They're careless, I'm smarter" defense either.

I get it though. Why educate them about being careless? There's profit to be made. Sounds like you've worked out a pretty sweet deal. Treat them like mushrooms, reap the rewards.

DeletedUser

[i.e. if a prize is in danger of getting sniped, someone locks it and sends a message 'i had to put 20 on your GB to lock the prize so it didn't get sniped. swap back 20 on my GB please']
Gb rewards are never guaranteed, so if I got a message like that from anyone I would just laugh. If it was a guild mate, I would explain that only works if my gb is in a swap thread. If it was a friend, I would explain that if they wanted that it would have to be prearranged. If it was a neighbour, I would ignore it.

Mustapha00

The fact that you'll see threads in which a very early-Age player is already trying to buy Arc goods and BPs tells you all you need know about the unbalancing effects that the Arc has on the game. I won't say that I have seen players build an Arc before a Zeus or a Lighthouse, but I certainly have seen players build one before a CoA.

In no way am I saying that players should not be allowed to do that.

I do have to ask, though, if this is what the devs had in mind.

RazorbackPirate

The fact that you'll see threads in which a very early-Age player is already trying to buy Arc goods and BPs tells you all you need know about the unbalancing effects that the Arc has on the game. I won't say that I have seen players build an Arc before a Zeus or a Lighthouse, but I certainly have seen players build one before a CoA.

In no way am I saying that players should not be allowed to do that.

I do have to ask, though, if this is what the devs had in mind.
But it's the same with GBs like AO, Kraken, Dynamic Tower, and very quickly, TCA. I've seen these built before LoA, SMB, CoA, etc. Some of these players might also have an Arc, but that's at lvl 4 or 5, while AO and Kraken are well over lvl. 10. Is that what the devs had in mind? This could be said about many FE and beyond GBs. What bang do you want for what buck.

I find it interesting that many players are fine with someone becoming a military powerhouse under age, but have a problem with players who build an economic powerhouse under age. Seems a bit silly.

DeletedUser29726

But it's the same with GBs like AO, Kraken, Dynamic Tower, and very quickly, TCA. I've seen these built before LoA, SMB, CoA, etc. Some of these players might also have an Arc, but that's at lvl 4 or 5, while AO and Kraken are well over lvl. 10. Is that what the devs had in mind? This could be said about many FE and beyond GBs. What bang do you want for what buck.

I find it interesting that many players are fine with someone becoming a military powerhouse under age, but have a problem with players who build an economic powerhouse under age. Seems a bit silly.

It's much more common with Arc (and for good reason - AO and Kraken aren't very good at level 10 or under - and you kinda need arc to get them high).

DeletedUser

The trouble with your point here is twofold. First, almost every single early age player that goes after a late era GB will go for the Arc, not nearly as many go for the other ones you mentioned. Second, the fact that players get the Arc early isn't what the problem is. It is just evidence that even early age players know how overpowered it is.

I don't have a problem with getting GBs early. I do have a problem with a GB that completely changed the game.

Mustapha00

Fair point.

But is a level 25 Arctic Orangery more powerful than a level 25 Arc?

No doubt that both are unbalancing, but one is clearly more so.

DeletedUser32307

As guild founder, I see the advantages of goods to the treasury, but I think the massive rewards could bring some bad feelings when the Arc owner can easily snipe everyone else contributing to a GB. We've worked really hard building GBs by teamwork and now an Arc owner can make it all about himself or herself.

Not if the Arcs in the guild agree to do buildings at 1.9 at no profit. You save members 1000s of FP. Arc owners have absolutely no reason to profit off guildmates, you have your friends and neighbors to do that. Some people get greedy which is sad, but if you find the right arc owners who aren't greedy and know how to use it without profitting off their guildmates, it greatly benefits the guild. It's not about the goods at all, it's about saving other members FPs.

DeletedUser31592

Not if the Arcs in the guild agree to do buildings at 1.9 at no profit. You save members 1000s of FP. Arc owners have absolutely no reason to profit off guildmates, you have your friends and neighbors to do that. Some people get greedy which is sad, but if you find the right arc owners who aren't greedy and know how to use it without profitting off their guildmates, it greatly benefits the guild. It's not about the goods at all, it's about saving other members FPs.
That is a bit of a blanket. If a guild is young and/or has few level 80 Arcs, a 1.8 thread is actually much more beneficial to the guild. With few level 80 Arcs in a guild, chances are, those few owners don't have enough FPs to help everyone. Where a 1.8 thread would help the Arc80 owners build their banks to help more people. At the same time, those at a level 60 can start helping with the burden AND building their banks up. For an established guild where there are dozens of level 80 Arcs? Sure. A 1.9 thread should be in place and used. For a growing guild, it just isn't feasible.

RazorbackPirate

While I support and encourage 1.85 threads both inside and outside the guild, I don't support 1.9 threads. When a guild mate can sell off a top spot to someone outside the guild for 1.85 without any issues, don't deny me the same opportunity for profit just because we're in the same guild. I find that expectation, especially inside a guild, particularly entitled and offensive.

I'm more than happy to take a smaller profit to help guild mates in exchange for consistency. I always have the ability to take less profit (be more generous) should I want or need to. Otherwise, I simply won't participate in those leveling threads. Then all my FPs and all the rewards from all my GBs all go to players outside the guild.

1.85 threads still save players 1,000's of FPs. If not, the private threads and leveling groups would not exist.

Last edited: