• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Auto Battle and military tactics

We know Auto Battle is not very good in FoE. Those interested in military tactics might recognize that in Auto Battle the player’s units have a tendency to line up ‘in enfilade’ or with the long axis of the formation toward the enemy. This exposes the foremost unit to the collective attack of any range units. In naval warfare this is an undesirable formation. It’s referred to as having your T crossed (Crossing the T) and usually signals the formation in enfilade is about to take heavy losses without doing much damage in return - just like in FoE! It’s almost as if the designers chose inferior tactics...

It’s definitely part of the programming. The units try to get to the first selected target by the shortest route. They end up in a conga line as you described. I think the devs could do much better if they ever decide to actually try.

P C C

I think the devs could do much better if they ever decide to actually try.
On the other hand, improving it would decrease the advantage of manual fighting. There are other tradeoffs in the game where more effort and time provide better benefits.

-Chen-

Obviously, I'll continue to play whether they ever improve the auto battle or not, cuz I enjoy many of the other elements of the game, but I think improving the AI battle skills would be a great and overdue thing.

Many of us don't have the time (or desire) to fight manually, I personally find it to be a really tedious exercise, but I can understand why many people love it. At the end of the day, IMO neither group should be penalized for a simple choice of preference, or for having a more limited amount of free time to devote to it than others

RazorbackPirate

Obviously, I'll continue to play whether they ever improve the auto battle or not, cuz I enjoy many of the other elements of the game, but I think improving the AI battle skills would be a great and overdue thing.

Many of us don't have the time (or desire) to fight manually, I personally find it to be a really tedious exercise, but I can understand why many people love it. At the end of the day, IMO neither group should be penalized for a simple choice of preference, or for having a more limited amount of free time to devote to it than others
The great thing about FoE is you have choices. As in all things, the choices you make have consequences. The choice to Autobattle means the choosing to save time at the cost of losing units and battles due to a crappy AI. The choice to fight manually or semi-Auto, as I do, means better results at the expense of time.

For me, sometimes manual fighting is as simple as moving my real unit to the side then Autobattling the rest, sometimes it's moving my real unit to the side and moving my Rogues forward, then Autobattling the rest, sometimes when attrition is high, it means manual fighting the whole fight to move injured units to the side as needed.

Another benefit, for me, with this method is being in CA still having yet to build Traz. Losing so few units, I've yet to have the need, and can use the space for FP production having all my unit needs fulfilled by other methods.

Lord farquar

Can't Back Razor back enough on this I love the dumb AI It gives those of us that enjoy manual fights the edge and considering it takes 2 minutes minimum to do as opposed to seconds or less for auto battle leave something for lower lvl people and those fight junkies who enjoy the tactical aspect of FOe

DevaCat

I enjoy the actual fights and that's why I go manual instead of hitting auto and letting the AI fight for me. For me, going auto is like lab mice furiously pressing that lever for their fix. I like the process, the reward is a side-effect. Others have different priorities, and that makes things interesting.

UP ONLINE

We know Auto Battle is not very good in FoE. Those interested in military tactics might recognize that in Auto Battle the player’s units have a tendency to line up ‘in enfilade’ or with the long axis of the formation toward the enemy. This exposes the foremost unit to the collective attack of any range units. In naval warfare this is an undesirable formation. It’s referred to as having your T crossed (Crossing the T) and usually signals the formation in enfilade is about to take heavy losses without doing much damage in return - just like in FoE! It’s almost as if the designers chose inferior tactics...
Don't like auto Battle Don't use it!!
I do wish having a skip a full turn button