• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Boycott Superguilds from regular GBG

Bastious

I am sure that we have all seen the battlegrounds emaciated by so-called Superguilds taking control of our Guild Battlegrounds. I say we just Boycott this part of the game until the programmers can get off their collective asses and notice what is happening under their very noses!

Emberguard

What exactly would you wish to be done? If you have a specific idea, or specific goal (that elaborates beyond just "do *something*") - that will at least provide a direction to go in.

Also, what are we defining as a "superguild" for the purpose of this discussion? Are we talking Global Ranking, total Guild Members, Guild Treasury, fastest time to take a sector or something else? I could certainly come up with an idea on what would be a "superguild", but I'm also sure we'd all have different ideas on at what point a Guild becomes a "superguild" - and that definition will be important for anything to change (in a meaningful manner)

Last edited:

Pericles the Lion

I am sure that we have all seen the battlegrounds emaciated by so-called Superguilds taking control of our Guild Battlegrounds. I say we just Boycott this part of the game until the programmers can get off their collective asses and notice what is happening under their very noses!
You are in a 4-player guild on your main world, 5-player on your other. While some very small guilds do well in GBG they are very rare. If you really want to increase your participation in GBG I'd suggest reaching out to larger guilds.

Ironrooster

Well that doesn't happen much in Gold where my solo guild plays most of the time. When I'm in Platinum, I see some guilds dominate.but they don't prevent others from playing - just from winning.,
But I still get in as many advances in both as I want and am able to do. And sometimes in Gold I win.
So I don't see a problem here.

Sledgie

A lot of small guilds who haplessly end up in upper diamond already take a break because they don't want to be there. Doesn't make a difference to the swapping guilds other than give us fewer guilds we have to worry about. We consider those guilds "well-behaved beach guilds"

Jackshat

A better option would be to get creative and strategize ways to end such control...in game. There would be much more satisfaction knowing you masterminded the strategy to completely destroy their GBG sensibilities.

Then, they'll have to adapt to your techniques. No. You DON'T have to have megagodzilla-sized mates to do this. You just need problem-solvers with a sh*tload of i don't give a damn moxie who thrive in David vs 2 or more Goliath scenarios.

Not possible? "I find your lack of faith disturbing." ;)

Angry.Blanket

Seems to me the purpose of GUILD Battle grounds is to take control of the battle grounds, strongest Guild wins.?
I hear lots of people complain about this but I don't understand, it is a battle ground, you fight for what you want.
What would be the purpose if the strong guilds are not allowed to win.

xivarmy

Seems to me the purpose of GUILD Battle grounds is to take control of the battle grounds, strongest Guild wins.?
I hear lots of people complain about this but I don't understand, it is a battle ground, you fight for what you want.
What would be the purpose if the strong guilds are not allowed to win.
The smaller guilds don't expect to beat the stronger guilds - just to have some ability to fight for their own little piece of the map. The difference between winning in platinum one week and being in 1000-diamond the next is absolutely massive in terms of what you're able to do.

The other point is if the stronger guilds were fighting amongst themselves rather than cooperatively locking up the map, it would be a lot less prohibitive of a lockdown. So not only do they have to fight a stronger guild that pushes them back to HQ, but multiple stronger guilds allied keeping them there.

But it is what it is until something changes in the underlying mechanics :)

People have adjusted in various ways:

- taking an off-week in 1000 (no it's not punishing the stronger guilds unless they lack other sufficiently active guilds to swap with)
- sandbagging in low-diamond and platinum groups to not wind up in 1000 in the first place
- kissing the ass of the bigger guilds to be allowed a little something
- parking themselves in situations where they can handle obscene amounts of attrition and get a decent amount of fights anyways so they don't care about being HQed
- not playing GBG at all

Most of these behaviors are not what inno has envisioned and the rise of them is probably what has led to the ongoing test on beta right now (much to the chagrin of GBG-farming guilds).

Angry.Blanket

I play on three worlds, 2 of those farm, 1 is 100% battle, I dont participate much on the 2 that farm, I dont like farming,
I live on the 1 that is all battle, Fighting for the same tile is where the fun is at.
How do you fight for your own little piece of the map if you cant win? some one has to lose, who gets to chose who loses? Sounds like farming.
What I think I hear people saying, they want to log on and get fights any time on their schedule and not on the battle ground schedule, they feel there should always be fights available to every one. To me that is PVP, fight as much as you want anytime you want.
And I guess I understand folks that dont want to invest in the game, for some it is a very casual pastime.

Emberguard

What I think I hear people saying, they want to log on and get fights any time on their schedule and not on the battle ground schedule, they feel there should always be fights available to every one. To me that is PVP, fight as much as you want anytime you want.

And I guess I understand folks that dont want to invest in the game, for some it is a very casual pastime.

It's not so much "don't want to invest in the game", we're all invested, but we also have lives outside the game. None of us can make a living off of just playing Forge of Empires and doing nothing else unless you could somehow monetise that (sufficiently). If you have a job, and aren't on holiday then it's unrealistic to be logging in every time a tile unlocks. The job simply wouldn't get much done if you're doing Guild Battlegrounds every time a tile is available.

If you look at the base game mechanics, FoE was initially built in a way that steered the player towards 24-hr logins once your city was up and running, or 8-hrs if you wanted to cram a extra bit of Goods Production in.

Now we have all these add-on's to the City, some of them work just fine with 8-hr or 24-hr log ins, while others if you really want to do well in require a lot more attention. In particular, Guild Battlegrounds. In part because it's a 4-hr timer, and in part because those 4-hrs are never going to line up with each other exactly. One tiles timer is going to be offset from what another tile has. So depending on your map you might need to be there every 4-hrs, or you might need to be there more like every hour of the day. Both are unrealistic expectations if you have a job that isn't a 4-hr shift.

xivarmy

I play on three worlds, 2 of those farm, 1 is 100% battle, I dont participate much on the 2 that farm, I dont like farming,
I live on the 1 that is all battle, Fighting for the same tile is where the fun is at.
How do you fight for your own little piece of the map if you cant win? some one has to lose, who gets to chose who loses? Sounds like farming.
More or less by having it be also a cost for the bigger guild to farm the tile in front of the littler guild rather than a pure benefit because they want all the fights they can get.

It already is a cost for the littler guild to fight to get out - but often the larger guilds swapping run it up for very little attrition each time it's open. So now you have 3 factors stacked against you:

- you are the weaker guild to begin with
- you take much more attrition than the other guilds taking it
- and there's multiple guilds cooperating to hold you in so the timers may not break in your favor

In platinum, it's not often that there's a guild so strong that they feel the need to lock other guilds down - those other guilds would have to be presenting a much more serious problem than a once-a-day breakout to put in that kind of effort. Battlegrounds work well at that balance point for all level of guilds in them. The stronger guilds usually win (except when the stronger platinum guilds are trying to duck 1000 which is far too often these days). And the weaker guilds get to fight for what they can get and compete for lower spots if interested.

Emberguard

In platinum, it's not often that there's a guild so strong that they feel the need to lock other guilds down - those other guilds would have to be presenting a much more serious problem than a once-a-day breakout to put in that kind of effort. Battlegrounds work well at that balance point for all level of guilds in them. The stronger guilds usually win (except when the stronger platinum guilds are trying to duck 1000 which is far too often these days). And the weaker guilds get to fight for what they can get and compete for lower spots if interested.
I agree. Platinum has a much better balance between Guild strengths than Diamond.

Angry.Blanket

It's not so much "don't want to invest in the game", we're all invested, but we also have lives outside the game. None of us can make a living off of just playing Forge of Empires and doing nothing else unless you could somehow monetise that (sufficiently). If you have a job, and aren't on holiday then it's unrealistic to be logging in every time a tile unlocks. The job simply wouldn't get much done if you're doing Guild Battlegrounds every time a tile is available.

If you look at the base game mechanics, FoE was initially built in a way that steered the player towards 24-hr logins once your city was up and running, or 8-hrs if you wanted to cram a extra bit of Goods Production in.

Now we have all these add-on's to the City, some of them work just fine with 8-hr or 24-hr log ins, while others if you really want to do well in require a lot more attention. In particular, Guild Battlegrounds. In part because it's a 4-hr timer, and in part because those 4-hrs are never going to line up with each other exactly. One tiles timer is going to be offset from what another tile has. So depending on your map you might need to be there every 4-hrs, or you might need to be there more like every hour of the day. Both are unrealistic expectations if you have a job that isn't a 4-hr shift.
Like I said I understand lots of folks want to play as a casual pastime, and that is fair. I have no interest in that.
I see no reason to build a city that doesn't serve a purpose,
GbG is an active battle ground for active Guilds/players, less active players don't have to participate. they have a choice show up on time and fight or don't.
When GbG gets shut down the way so many folks want it means I don't get to play the way I want to play.
People that don't want to be active don't have to be, but soon people that want to be wont be allowed to be.
And I know some folks think logging in every 24 hrs is active but I don't see it that way that is not even a little bit enjoyable to me.
That would be like telling me I can only watch 30 seconds of TV every 24 hrs, there would be no reason to even turn it on for that amount of time.

Emberguard

That would be like telling me I can only watch 30 seconds of TV every 24 hrs
No one's saying only 30 seconds every 24-hrs.

And I know some folks think logging in every 24 hrs is active but I don't see it that way that is not even a little bit enjoyable to me.
It's highly unusual for any game to consider daily activity as "casual"

I do however wonder, what would it have looked like if instead of 24/11 - 3 day break, if it had been a lobby system with 4-hr matches so Guilds could do as many matches as they want at a time that suits them? Even if that meant having the ability to sign up to a timeslot upto 2 weeks in advance, it would at least be more flexible to the different playstyles and degrees of activity

Sledgie

No one's saying only 30 seconds every 24-hrs.

It's highly unusual for any game to consider daily activity as "casual"

I do however wonder, what would it have looked like if instead of 24/11 - 3 day break, if it had been a lobby system with 4-hr matches so Guilds could do as many matches as they want at a time that suits them? Even if that meant having the ability to sign up to a timeslot upto 2 weeks in advance, it would at least be more flexible to the different playstyles and degrees of activity
I would love to see a way to do a battlegrounds as a match up between guilds who want to test their strength against each other - maybe as an addition to the current battlegrounds mechanics. Maybe even a tourney system for diamond league.

Angry.Blanket

I would love to see a way to do a battlegrounds as a match up between guilds who want to test their strength against each other - maybe as an addition to the current battlegrounds mechanics. Maybe even a tourney system for diamond league.
I always thought that was exactly what GBG is, But it seems almost no players want to do battle against another guild they just want to get fights anytime they log on with out having any time strategy or planning . I am obviously wrong, but I thought GbG was a test of which guild has the most active players.

Sledgie

I always thought that was exactly what GBG is, But it seems almost no players want to do battle against another guild they just want to get fights anytime they log on with out having any time strategy or planning . I am obviously wrong, but I thought GbG was a test of which guild has the most active players.
I think if we could have a 24 hour competition matched up with guilds of our choice it would be different. 11 days is just too long for constant fighting.

Pericles the Lion

It is a test of which guilds has the most active players. The test begins as 8AM game time every other Thursday and ends about an hour, or so, later. The number of active players plays a minor role for the remaining 10+ days.