• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Changelog 1.97 Feedback

DeletedUser8152

Seems to me that best of both worlds would be that it only loads the first page, but if you click to the second page then it loads them all?

That said, one of main things I use event history for is to see who attacked me. If my attacker entry is on the third page, what happens when I filter for battle events? Will the attack still show up? I hope so!

Ylisaveta

Seems to me that best of both worlds would be that it only loads the first page, but if you click to the second page then it loads them all?

That said, one of main things I use event history for is to see who attacked me. If my attacker entry is on the third page, what happens when I filter for battle events? Will the attack still show up? I hope so!

I use the filters to return aid to neighbors once a day or so. When I turn the filters on and choose neighborhood, it loads that first page. The other pages load after a brief pause as I click through them. I would think any filter you set will work that way. First page meeting the criteria loads, then the others page by page.

DeletedUser26965

• The time to load the Event History screen was getting longer over time as new elements were added. Depending on the strength of your computer and the amount of entries to load, the long load could, for example, cause significant 'lag' after switching back to the city when the Event History would show up. We've significantly shortened the time it takes to open the Event History by having it only load the page of data that will be displayed. This does add loading when switching pages, but we think that this is an improvement to the overall experience. We'll keep an eye on the feedback!
This worked out very nice. I can open the Event history numerous times quickly and it does not add much at all to memory like it did before. The loading of looking through pages and towers is quick for me, about a second, so not much bother there, See the horrible results from how it was before here https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/event-history-window-lag.17094/

Last edited by a moderator:

TroyEdward

BUGS on iPad mobile app:

1. FOE Fan club achievement shield is blank, no icon
  2. When first opening profile in mobile app, screen goes blank, generic load background displays briefly, then brought back to profile
  3. Although unrelated to this change log update, same blank screen, reload issue occurs when you make the first move of a behemoth in battle

Ta 152H

This page by page loading is annoying, but the solution is so obvious I'm surprised it wasn't already implemented.

Just pre-load the next page or two. Unless someone is using a 386, it's not going to be slow, and it's going to have minimal if no delay when going from page to page. So, while on page one, pre-load 2, maybe 3, and then when moving to page two, the next page in the background.

You get the lower initial loading times, and have less irritating delays moving between pages. Simple and it works.

DeletedUser8152

This page by page loading is annoying, but the solution is so obvious I'm surprised it wasn't already implemented.

Just pre-load the next page or two. Unless someone is using a 386, it's not going to be slow, and it's going to have minimal if no delay when going from page to page. So, while on page one, pre-load 2, maybe 3, and then when moving to page two, the next page in the background.

You get the lower initial loading times, and have less irritating delays moving between pages. Simple and it works.
That does seem like a good idea.

Ta 152H

Yes, tweaking it would be the only uncertainty.

One has to pre-suppose the full data is sent when one enters, and is not dynamically updated while in the history. Therefore, it's not out of the question they could spawn a low priority thread to continuously order the data while one enters, but de-couple it from viewing thread so it would not wait on it to be complete. The sorting thread could asynchronously update the process displaying the data as it finishes pages. This would allow fast initial access to history, and essentially eliminate page delay. Since the bottleneck on virtually all computers now is single-threaded performance, as most have several cores, the background thread would not materially impact foreground performance. But, that's not 100%, and would have to be tested. If it did, only a few pages at a time. If not, in most cases, then it could work until all the pages are correctly created, then quit.

There are a couple of other changes that might help. I'm of the opinion the "Visit Tavern" stuff is just background noise for most people. I also think the parsing solutions are poorly implemented. For example, I can get all events, or any one of the others. Those are limited. I would recommend using check boxes next to each, so the selection could include any combination of events. I'd also suggest that the annoying selection box, which lowers the number of viewable events, disappears after use, but remembers the settings. If changes are needed, it can be brought back up as it was initially, and changes can be made there. This gives one the option of modifying what is viewable, without losing 10% of their viewing window.

This would address issues like Visit Tavern, which I think most people would remove, since it's of limited use, and takes up a lot of space.

DeletedUser26759

Just pre-load the next page or two.

Please don't. The fastest load possible upon opening history is the good stuff. "Unless someone is using a 386", navigating page to page is plenty fast and any delay is a small price to pay. As someone that uses the filters, page flipping is limited anyway.

DeletedUser8152

Please don't. The fastest load possible upon opening history is the good stuff. "Unless someone is using a 386", navigating page to page is plenty fast and any delay is a small price to pay. As someone that uses the filters, page flipping is limited anyway.
I think the idea is to open the first page as fast as possible, but then while you are looking at it the second page is loaded in the background.

DeletedUser26759

I think the idea is to open the first page as fast as possible, but then while you are looking at it the second page is loaded in the background.

If they can build in some sort of delay between "Event History just opened" and "it's loading another page or two" (5+ seconds), cool. I'm concerned with the seemingly random occasions when the Event History auto-launches. Being able to close that window as quickly as possible, when I really didn't want to open/use it at that time, is what makes the new system sexy. How it works when the Event History button is actually clicked is all the same to me.

DeletedUser8152

One could hope (?) that if you close the window while the next page is loading, it could still close immediately. (Since that doesn't require any new info from the server). But of course I don't really know.

DeletedUser8420

I will say I REALLY LIKE the change in the friends list. When someone applies they are now located at the front of the list, once acceptance they move to proper position. Instead of previous where they are located somewhere near the back and when accepting, not only do they move to proper position but you list scrolls automatically back to the 1st. Nice change!

Ta 152H

You're misunderstanding. You'd open the first page, spawn a thread to order the rest in the background while the person already has the history open. So it would not slow down opening the first page. But, it would keep working in the background while you're working on the first page.

I don't like waiting 1 or 2 second between each page, when before I didn't have to. It was much more fluid. When you're doing 120 pages, this lack of fluidity gets annoying, especially at the end where most of the time you just go from page to page rather than aid someone. It's unnecessary, and can easily be removed without materially impacting foreground speed; you could stall the thread (presumably you'd have already created it for the first page) until the history is already open.

I find the current history very annoying now. The computer I'm on is fast, so this is a step backwards since it loaded plenty fast before. Intel is selling a lot of chips, so there are a lot of people that also are seeing this as a downgrade in behavior. It's not necessary.

Ta 152H

One could hope (?) that if you close the window while the next page is loading, it could still close immediately. (Since that doesn't require any new info from the server). But of course I don't really know.

What you're saying is exactly correct.

When you send a message to close the window, that process kills the thread it spawned to reorder the data set you downloaded with the history. You don't suddenly end the life of the process that's displaying the history window when you click to close it. You tell it you want it to close. So, it then can make sure it closes gracefully, and in this context, closes a background thread it opened and releases memory.

This is very basic programming, and can be done, and is normally done when working with data. People are frustrated when the foreground is "frozen", and prefer even a message indicating progress when they click on something than it being absolutely unresponsive.

DeletedUser8152

Well, what I know about how threads work in flash ... is not much :)

DeletedUser

The change to the event history loading doesn't help at all for those of us (most, maybe?) that aid from the event history. What would have helped is what Cosmic Raven said, just don't have it pop up except when you first log in! You can call it up any time you want if necessary. I would rather have the wait all at first when I go to aid, rather than the same amount of waiting time spread out over the entire process. One of the worst "fixes" I've seen to a non-problem.