• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Cut time/cost on rearranging cities

DeletedUser31206

I know that players have made proposals in the past to try to come up on way to at least in my way of thinking needs to be approved on for I think it cost to much and takes to long to do, because you got to keep stopping to save up on coins/supplies. This has nothing to do with not knowing how one want to rearrange their city, but unless a person has over 1M in both coins and supplies it takes weeks to rearrange your city. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't have over 1M in either coins or supplies and I don't have much luck in receiving diamonds as rewards and I am not rich so I don't buy diamond packages that often and don't buy the big ones when I do so try to make them last as long as I can which I wouldn't be able to do if I used them to help in the rearranging of my city and I am sure that others are in the same boat. Keeping all that in mind please the next time someone comes up with a proposal to try to improve on the method of rearranging our cities please don't reject it out of hand just because you enjoy a good tare down and rebuilding.

DeletedUser31440

I know that players have made proposals in the past to try to come up on way to at least in my way of thinking needs to be approved on for I think it cost to much and takes to long to do, because you got to keep stopping to save up on coins/supplies. This has nothing to do with not knowing how one want to rearrange their city, but unless a person has over 1M in both coins and supplies it takes weeks to rearrange your city. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't have over 1M in either coins or supplies and I don't have much luck in receiving diamonds as rewards and I am not rich so I don't buy diamond packages that often and don't buy the big ones when I do so try to make them last as long as I can which I wouldn't be able to do if I used them to help in the rearranging of my city and I am sure that others are in the same boat. Keeping all that in mind please the next time someone comes up with a proposal to try to improve on the method of rearranging our cities please don't reject it out of hand just because you enjoy a good tare down and rebuilding.

Quick thought,this is a strategy game still I think, so maybe plan out the city you'd like, figure out how much it will cost in coins and supplies, save up the requisite amount of coins and supplies and finally build the city you planned. But then again maybe planning ahead in a strategy game is too much to ask.

DeletedUser

Unless you're in a very early age, you probably shouldn't be moving up if you are short on coins and supplies.

Freshmeboy

I agree with Mr. Longshanks..if you are short on coin and supplies you are moving too fast through the ages...supplies get hammered when building housing and the best housing tech is always near the end of the tree. Players need to recognize this pattern in the first two ages and camp a bit..there is no prize for getting to the top of the tech tree....

DeletedUser31206

Quick thought,this is a strategy game still I think, so maybe plan out the city you'd like, figure out how much it will cost in coins and supplies, save up the requisite amount of coins and supplies and finally build the city you planned. But then again maybe planning ahead in a strategy game is too much to ask.
It is a strategy game but do you have any idea how long it takes to save up over a 1M coins/supplies. Maybe some of you don't have that trouble, but some of us do.

DeletedUser31440

It is a strategy game but do you have any idea how long it takes to save up over a 1M coins/supplies. Maybe some of you don't have that trouble, but some of us do.

Maybe two or three weeks in IA, LoA at 3 or 4 and aiding daily.

DeletedUser

As I have done it several times, yes I do. I have raised cities to Colonial/Industrial on well over a dozen worlds, and a few even higher than that. The trick is to use the shorter production cycles when you know you can collect them in a fairly prompt time frame. The shorter cycles produce more per minute, but if you only collect a couple times a day they aren't efficient. Also helps immensely if you get the LoA and St Marks as quickly as possible. :)

DeletedUser

i am in the opposite corner about advancing in ages... i generally think it is best to advance as fast as possible.
so many of the games 'prize/reward' features (GE, aiding, treasure hunt, incidents, etc) are tied to the age of the player.. by advancing in ages, players gain those larger rewards, so their cities make more coins/supplies/medals faster.
as players advance they also get better buildings and more land to place more buildings, so their cities snowball even faster.

as an example: colonial production buildings produce supplies 4x faster than iron age production buildings.
so compare, sitting in iron age for 6 months, slowly collecting at iron age rates VS. quickly advancing to colonial and sitting in colonial for 6 months collecting at colonial rates.
the difference is significant.
dont forget to factor in the 16 or so extra expansions worth of land a player will have to multiply their production even further
=
theres no 'reward' for making it to the end of the tech tree...BUT theres no reward for sitting in low ages either.
a main difference is that when a player sits in low ages for a long time, they suffer a significant loss of production.
By this logic, you should race all the way to Oceanic Future, as that is where coins/supplies would logically produce fastest. Of course, they also get used up fastest there, so...
If you're against sitting in the lower eras for these reasons, then logically you have to be against sitting in the middle eras, or anything short of OFE. And I really wish there were more players like you, to be honest, you make good plunder material. I love to take the goods/FPs/whatever of players who rush up through the ages without a thought to city development or defense.

DeletedUser27023

i am in the opposite corner about advancing in ages... i generally think it is best to advance as fast as possible.
so many of the games 'prize/reward' features (GE, aiding, treasure hunt, incidents, etc) are tied to the age of the player.. by advancing in ages, players gain those larger rewards, so their cities make more coins/supplies/medals faster.
as players advance they also get better buildings and more land to place more buildings, so their cities snowball even faster.

as an example: colonial production buildings produce supplies 4x faster than iron age production buildings.
so compare, sitting in iron age for 6 months, slowly collecting at iron age rates VS. quickly advancing to colonial and sitting in colonial for 6 months collecting at colonial rates.
the difference is significant.
dont forget to factor in the 16 or so extra expansions worth of land a player will have to multiply their production even further
=
theres no 'reward' for making it to the end of the tech tree...BUT theres no reward for sitting in low ages either.
a main difference is that when a player sits in low ages for a long time, they suffer a significant loss of production.

I agree with your position....to a point. There are specific ages in the early levels that work better for camping. While I’m not a devout follower of Cosmic Raven’s guide, he does address particular ages that wok better for leveling GBs and acquiring CF, Traz, Arc etc. His guide puts a lot of emphasis on CA but many players feel that HMA is the sweet spot. Whichever one you choose, I would pick one and work your way there.

In terms of acquiring coin and supplies, this is something you will learn as you go. It’s not easy in the beginning. You’re not going to earn much and it’s not going to happen quickly either. It’s import that you manage your resources and not squander them on unnecessary purchases. There are times when you can use lower age buildings while you progress through your current age. You don’t have to rebuild every building. There are other things as well like buying FPs, etc that can eat up your coin. This game is not a sprint. It’s a marathon. If you race to the end, you may get there but as was already mentioned, you will be a target for other players that took their time and built up there city. Don’t rush. Enjoy the game. Level your buildings, expand your city and then crush GE, events, daily challenges and PvP.

DeletedUser

While I’m not a devout follower of Cosmic Raven’s guide, he does address particular ages that wok better for leveling GBs and acquiring CF, Traz, Arc etc.
Only in his system, which we are not discussing here.
His guide puts a lot of emphasis on CA but many players feel that HMA is the sweet spot. Whichever one you choose, I would pick one and work your way there.
Again, his "system" is not the subject of this discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Freshmeboy

Racing up through the ages may make goods production increase for you but forge points, the most important resource, don't follow suit. For players who sacrifice goods production for increased GB strength before rising, their trade off is easier battles in GE and pvai and the increase in defense gained through RFs...

Freshmeboy

Wow..apparently you haven't been keeping track of the swarms of folks leaving the game due to the imbalance of the pvai system nor the efforts of INNO to change that by placing the that system high in the IA tech tree. Seems too much money was walking out the door...in essence, INNO was giving new players some 'camping time' before being faced with their lopsided plunder mechanic. The hood merger was also part of this change and if more players continue to exit stage left from this mechanic we could see other changes. When I talk to new players I always urge patience in rising through the ages. While I have heard from few that tech racing is a good idea, I have heard from many that have come back and said "Whew! You were right. I need to camp a bit I'm getting hammered"..

DeletedUser

essentially that is correct.

similar logic also applies to city defense.
i've been plundered less than 1x per week in the nearly 2 years i've played. most people i know have similar reports.
plundering is very rare in this game. the game is designed to protect players. (can only be attacked by people in hood [not anyone in the game at anytime], can only be attacked and plundered by a person 1x every 24 hours [not multiple times per day] , random rotating hoods [so players cant stalk and plunder the same players forever], hoods based on tech tree advancement [so players a lot higher in ages cant attack lower age players, etc.]

the amount production an active player loses from having defensive structures in their city in most cases, far exceeds the amount they would ever lose from plundering.
meaning, players who fill their cities with defense structures are very likely 'plundering themselves' WAY more than any aggressive neighbor ever could.

when someone puts defense structures in their city, they are surrendering 100% of that lands production capacity FOREVER, in exchange for a small % increase in the safety of the rest of their production land. they are doing that 'just in case' all the stars line-up and someone decides to attack and plunder them at some point. [it might happen]

example: i can have 36 watch-fires in my city, and that land will never produce for me, EVER. my enemy essentially owns 100% of that land 100% of the time [forever] because i'm playing scared. OR i can take out those watch-fires and put in 5 sacred sky watches that produce 35fp's per week.
even if someone plunder 1 every day. i still gain 28 extra fp's for my city. i own/reap 80% of that lands production capacity, my enemy only owns 20% [until hoods change]
same with goods buildings.
take out 36 watchfires, add 2-3 goods buildings that each produce 20-30/day. even if someone plunders one collection every day. i still come out ahead, 40 - 80 goods every day...

because of designs within the game and how rare plundering is, an active player will make far more from having less defense, than they would protect if they had more defense.
even if someone takes a few goods/coins/supplies/FP's, 2-3 weeks later the hoods will change [or i'll advance through the tech tree so fast i wont even be in their hood for that long.]
my thought is i'll just write it off as charity. in a month or two i'll be 2-3-4 ages ahead, making advanced goods with so many coins and supplies the ones that were taken from me, will remind me of the time i was at a picnic and the ants came and stole a couple crumbs off of my plate.

so my approach is: instead of placing defense structures and surrendering my land, produce on that land and fight to be the first to collect it. a little may be taken from time to time, but in the long run i'll gain a whole lot more
There is so much misinformation in this post I'm not even going to bother to pick it apart. I hope you land in my hood (or in the hood of someone from the Plunder Progress thread). You'd soon find out why city defense is a good idea. LOL

Algona

Unless you're in a very early age, you probably shouldn't be moving up if you are short on coins and supplies.

Elaine, i agree completely with Stephen on this. I donlt know what Era you are, but you should have enough Coins, Supplies, and Goods saved up to do everything you will want to do in the next Era.

so many of the games 'prize/reward' features (GE, aiding, treasure hunt, incidents, etc) are tied to the age of the player..

Disagreed! The best Prizes in GE - RK, 1Uo, FPs, FP Producing Buildings, and Diamonds don;t scale.

Given the power of these Prizes and that no other source in the game provides so much, I think the optimal strategy is to work towards reaching a point where you are cleaning lvl 4. Then camp, mine Diamonds and cram your city full of SSW and TF. That will give you a great foundation for advancing in Era.

Aid, the only time it's truly useful is in BA, IA, and maybe EMA when ithose Coins are a sifnidicanr source for filling Coins RQs,

Treasure hunt, the only good prize is the FPs and they do't scale.

Incidents? Please. Trivial. Any Resource strategy that relies on Incidents is tuckertao level strategy.

Falconwing

Truthfully, I don't understand how coins or supplies are an issue. For me the only time I had issues with coins or supplies was going from Iron Age to EMA. After that, they both just started to accumulate. I am not a sitter, although I did advance slowly. I think I spent two months on Bronze and Iron age, then 3 months at EMA, 3 at HMA, 3 at LMA and after a year and two weeks I'm at Colonial age. I currently have 35 million coins and 28 million supplies and I don't feel like I'm doing much to get them. I do 8 hour and 24 hour collections on my buildings, complete GE, Aid daily, and plunder a bit. I haven't spent too much, just the $3 starter kit and the $5 Iron age building kit, nothing since then.

DeletedUser27023

Only in his system, which we are not discussing here.

Again, his "system" is not the subject of this discussion.

If all this is directed at me (and you are replying to my post), you're wasting your breath. Check my other post (#7). I've built numerous cities to at least Colonial Age, and a few higher.

Yeah...I'm pretty sure I'm the one who said it...in the post you're replying to. smh

I'm replying to the OP but thanks for your input.

DeletedUser31440

Incidents? Please. Trivial. Any Resource strategy that relies on Incidents is tuckertao level strategy.

So a genius level so advanced that no experienced player has been able to read it and understand just how it works so well? I mean have you seen his goods stockpiles, he's got like 100 of each EMA good, he obviously knows what he is doing.

Algona

you disagree that a lot of the prizes are tied to the age of the player? obviously they are.
i stated a fact that some of them are. you may need to re-read my factual statement. disagreeing with facts can damage credibility

the coins/supplies/medals won in GE scale.

Damn straight I disagree. While the trivial prizes pf Coins, Supplies, Medals scale, the important prizes, the ones players strive for, don't scale. It's misleading for you to omit that.

disagreeing with facts can damage credibility

Goptta be honest re my credibility. DILLIGAF?

DeletedUser

thats part of the point. the chances of being in a random hood with an active plunder are so small. in the long run, someone who 'play's scared' and defends for that rare occasion, is almost always losing more from their lost production

you keep 'hoping', i'll keep raking in production
You assume things you do not know. Since you have apparently never bothered with city defense items, you have no idea what they mean in terms of productive space. While you fill your 1x1 spaces with useless decos and Victory Towers that pay out very little and only once a week, I use mine to place Watchfires. And I place a decent city defense army...and never think about it again until I move up in age. No productive land wasted. No "play's scared". I've played this game long enough to know that the odds are going to catch up to you someday, and then you'll be one of those running to the Forum to cry about how "unfair" it is of Inno to allow plunderers such an advantage. LOL